Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,109 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:20 AM

The Almajiri Boys (A Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Almajiri Boys (A Short Story) (553 Views)

Whose Fault? (betrayal And Revenge) A Short Story / ‘iya Awon Boys!’ A Moral Narration by Taiwo Oladimeji Balogun (biadefola.com.ng) / Done In 60 Seconds (A Short Crime Story By Olumide Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Almajiri Boys (A Short Story) by dojnr4real: 8:22pm On Feb 06, 2017
Details shortly
Re: The Almajiri Boys (A Short Story) by dojnr4real: 11:12pm On Feb 06, 2017
Copyright(c) @ arcdanobeda@gmail.com

All rights reserved. No part of this publication maybe reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of dojnr4real

Dedicated to all Nysc corps members
Re: The Almajiri Boys (A Short Story) by dojnr4real: 11:13pm On Feb 06, 2017
Copyright(c) @ arcdanobeda@gmail.com

All rights reserved. No part of this publication maybe reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of dojnr4real

Dedicated to all Nysc corps members
Re: The Almajiri Boys (A Short Story) by dojnr4real: 11:22pm On Feb 06, 2017
The Almajiri Boys
Seeing these indigent lads gives me nothing but depression. To keep body and soul together I had opted to perpetually navigate my ears to the sound of their drum beats to tranquils myself from the turmoil portrayed by these lads.The so called recession has dreadfully hike the number of these boys. Trotted in a single file along Jos-Abuja express road, beating their fragmented plates, gawking at the sky intently begging to cater for themselves and their masters. The name Almajiri sounds mammoth but it's meaning was unfathomable to me at first.
Almajiri as the lads are frequently referred to springforth from Arabic word Al-Mahaajirun, which precisely means a learned scholar who propagates the peaceful message of Islam. Fadankarshi, a Southern part of Kaduna where I sojourn is predominantly dominated by these Almajiri Boys.
At about 9am on Wednesday, stepped out of a friend's hummer Jeep fully kitted with only #300 on me looking for a vehicle to covey me to gwantu for CDS, guess what my eyes behold? ISMAIL, famous Almajiri Boys deserted under a scorching sun, piercing into his pores. Weeping uncontrollably with his tattered duds, insensuous hair and cracked lips filled with blood stain alluring flies like abatua, where Shanu (Cows) are being slaughtered. Flies fed vigorously on the fresh wound at his right arm and his identity "broken plate" on the other hand, screamed with a shallow voice. ''Corper, don Allah taimake ni ba da kowa'' which means please help me I have no one.
Looked at him in disdainful manner but felt guilt on a second note . How do I go to Gwantu if I treat him with my transport fare? Reckoned that I need to thumbprint for the month of January, even though December alawee hasn't pop-out. An act we are accustomed to. Immediately I shook both of my hands inside the khaki pocket in search of my wallet, just like a dream, abruptly surrounded by these lads, the tempo of drum beat has gone atrocious as they plodded towards me with frowned faces like a hungry lion looking for a prey to devour, they are being compelled by their empty belly and licking pouches that has vowed never to retain anything valuable nor gratifying. I already had unhealthy disdain for their parents and their so called Mallams behind this unlawful act with the sole aim of enriching themselves and at the same time denying these lads their right in the society as well as decent and sound upbringing propelling them to litter the road, endangering their lives and causing heavy traffic every seconds for the travellers invaded with these thoughts in the mist of confusion as to whom to offer help to like MMM, obviously I have been merged with the ALMAJIRI'S by the turbulence that betide us which has transposed the language of many even the snug Nigerians. Just like a soldier sent to the warfront without arms. The boys has been unleashed to the street neglected metamorphosed to beggers. Undeniably the essence of the Almajiri has been defeated. Weeping bitterly for the sake of survival, he deserves to live. A voice whispered to my ears, thrown to the ground by a whirlwind from an unknown source, my hands got injured amidst this scene. The boys in their impoverished state took the saddle upon themselves to raise me up from the dust. The cry of the poor lad sank deep inside my heart, stood up like a statue of New York. Gave them #50 out of the #300 which was almost torn into pieces by these boys out of excitemen. Rest the poor Almajiri boy on my shoulder in an attempt to cross, we were both knocked down at the middle of the road by a motorcycle and the lad sway from my shoulder. Found myself later at the hospital bed but the abused, neglected Almajiri boy "Ismail" gave up the ghost. My community development service was done on that hospital bed. Ward 2A, room 15. Will live to remember that fateful day in the course of my service year. My heart wept for Ismail, the Almajiri boy

(1) (Reply)

ATM WAHALA By Mercy Obidake / Tale Of The Hollow Man / 10 Habits You Must Quit To Be Happy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.