Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,179 members, 7,780,251 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:20 AM

P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 (1587 Views)

Can You Spot The Unusual Error On The Rear Badge Of This Porsche Cayenne SUV? / (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). / My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by Aladine(m): 10:58pm On Feb 06, 2017
My corolla 2011 has the check engine light on and it throws the error code p0014..many mechanics have changed the 2 sensors ontop..the vvti sensors and its still comes back after being cleared..i have changed oil to the right viscoscity but its still same..i notice its abit rough when driving. Does any one have any other sugestion or a mechanic in abuja to fix this
Re: P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by mayor2013: 11:00pm On Feb 06, 2017
Check for mike on this forum he is Abuja and knows the job
Re: P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by Nobody: 11:40pm On Feb 06, 2017
Aladine:
My corolla 2011 has the check engine light on and it throws the error code p0014..many mechanics have changed the 2 sensors ontop..the vvti sensors and its still comes back after being cleared..i have changed oil to the right viscoscity but its still same..i notice its abit rough when driving. Does any one have any other sugestion or a mechanic in abuja to fix this

Check your exhaust for blockage
Re: P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:14am On Feb 07, 2017
Aladine:

Now first let's understand the code.

P0014 - "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

In my many years of working on engines I have only seen a cam sensors go bad on Nissan. Never seen them go bad on toyotas or Hondas.

So what else could cause this problem?
Let's look a bit deeper.

Cars have changed from the 1990s with distributors and now have variable timing. So it is very possible that your timing skipped a tooth (very unlikely unless human input was involved) or your VVTI system is malfunctioning.

My advise.

1. Find a mechanic who understands how modern day cars function, Not a Kid with a scanning machine.

2. Ensure he know how to use diagnostic equipment and also knows how to do the oily work.

Since you are in abuja find kingreign.
Re: P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by Aladine(m): 7:56pm On Feb 07, 2017
Thank you gazuz. I have always suspected the timing chain because i had an issue once and the guy worked on the engine and claimed he had to work on the timing chain. Since then the check light have been on..but each other mechanic says its not timing chain but the sensor and i have changed the sensor more than 3 times..kingreign says he doesnt work on toyota the last time we spoke.my engine has basically suffered from bad mechanics..from one that changed my top gasket claiming over heat when it was not even over heating to different people diagnosing different things just because they have an obd scanner. I tire jare

GAZZUZZ:

Now first let's understand the code.

P0014 - "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

In my many years of working on engines I have only seen a cam sensors go bad on Nissan. Never seen them go bad on toyotas or Hondas.

So what else could cause this problem?
Let's look a bit deeper.

Cars have changed from the 1990s with distributors and now have variable timing. So it is very possible that your timing skipped a tooth (very unlikely unless human input was involved) or your VVTI system is malfunctioning.

My advise.

1. Find a mechanic who understands how modern day cars function, Not a Kid with a scanning machine.

2. Ensure he know how to use diagnostic equipment and also knows how to do the oily work.

Since you are in abuja find kingreign.
Re: P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by kingreign(m): 8:15pm On Feb 07, 2017
Aladine:
Thank you gazuz. I have always suspected the timing chain because i had an issue once and the guy worked on the engine and claimed he had to work on the timing chain. Since then the check light have been on..but each other mechanic says its not timing chain but the sensor and i have changed the sensor more than 3 times..kingreign says he doesnt work on toyota the last time we spoke.my engine has basically suffered from bad mechanics..from one that changed my top gasket claiming over heat when it was not even over heating to different people diagnosing different things just because they have an obd scanner. I tire jare

This is untrue. Pls, tell me when I said this?
Re: P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by kingreign(m): 8:15pm On Feb 07, 2017
The only time I reject any car is when that car has been really abused. I do not accept a work that has seen several hands. Reason is the integrity of the components allied the working of that faulty part may be compromised.

I have had an experience mid last year when someone with a '99 avensis came to me literally begging to fix a faulty power steering system in his car, he told me over 6 mechanics have tampered with the steering. I was busy, but rescheduled a further date for him.
Next day he came again and repeatedly disturbed me, till I got a quote for parts (minus labour and logistics).
I told him we need to replace faulty rack and pump. I told him we'll replace rack first, then if steering pump response is okay, we'll use his steering, but he should bear in mind that the steering pump will be replaced. He agreed.
Gave me cash for parts only, which I ordered steering rack, it came, I didn't like the one which was brought cos its not exact fitment. This same man came the next day and started quarreling me to hasten his work. I went to the market myself and I wasn't feeling too strong health wise, I was drenched in heavy rains.
I bought the rack, dismounted the front suspension beam and installed the rack while I was terribly ill and drenched.
I poured in P/S fluid into the steering pump to quiet the squeak and it worked fine, but I told the car owner to bear in mind that we haven't finished his job. But he collected the car and rushed out without allowing me to bleed the steering system of air trapped inside..

The later came back that evening yelling that he isn't satisfied with my job and I ate his cash. I must produce the remaining money for P/S pump (7k).
I had no choice but to go to where I safely kept the cash and give him. Till this day, he didn't pay me for any labour.

This is just one scenario where my sympathy landed me into a silly situation.

Its 2017, I still repeat, I won't collect any job that has been given to multiple mechanics to do trial and error, neither will I collect a job when I'm super busy or when the customer is in a rush.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by Aladine(m): 9:19pm On Feb 07, 2017
I do understand perfectly. Its a business decision and experience has made it so..i a not in a hurry tho..you can schedule a time convenient for you and just take a look..if its somthing you may want to do then fine but if not i really dont hav a problem..everyone can choose what clients he wud work with n its somtin i do everyday at work..
kingreign:
The only time I reject any car is when that car has been really abused. I do not accept a work that has seen several hands. Reason is the integrity of the components allied the working of that faulty part may be compromised.

I have had an experience mid last year when someone with a '99 avensis came to me literally begging to fix a faulty power steering system in his car, he told me over 6 mechanics have tampered with the steering. I was busy, but rescheduled a further date for him.
Next day he came again and repeatedly disturbed me, till I got a quote for parts (minus labour and logistics).
I told him we need to replace faulty rack and pump. I told him we'll replace rack first, then if steering pump response is okay, we'll use his steering, but he should bear in mind that the steering pump will be replaced. He agreed.
Gave me cash for parts only, which I ordered steering rack, it came, I didn't like the one which was brought cos its not exact fitment. This same man came the next day and started quarreling me to hasten his work. I went to the market myself and I wasn't feeling too strong health wise, I was drenched in heavy rains.
I bought the rack, dismounted the front suspension beam and installed the rack while I was terribly ill and drenched.
I poured in P/S fluid into the steering pump to quiet the squeak and it worked fine, but I told the car owner to bear in mind that we haven't finished his job. But he collected the car and rushed out without allowing me to bleed the steering system of air trapped inside..

The later came back that evening yelling that he isn't satisfied with my job and I ate his cash. I must produce the remaining money for P/S pump (7k).
I had no choice but to go to where I safely kept the cash and give him. Till this day, he didn't pay me for any labour.

This is just one scenario where my sympathy landed me into a silly situation.

Its 2017, I still repeat, I won't collect any job that has been given to multiple mechanics to do trial and error, neither will I collect a job when I'm super busy or when the customer is in a rush.
Re: P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by kingreign(m): 9:37pm On Feb 07, 2017
Aladine:
I do understand perfectly. Its a business decision and experience has made it so..i a not in a hurry tho..you can schedule a time convenient for you and just take a look..if its somthing you may want to do then fine but if not i really dont hav a problem..everyone can choose what clients he wud work with n its somtin i do everyday at work..

Still, it hasn't answered the question
kingreign:

This is untrue. Pls, tell me when I said this?
Re: P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by Aladine(m): 10:00pm On Feb 07, 2017
I just had to go through my phone to be sure. Sorry i have mxed you up with ikenna..i actually contacted you through mail and you replied but i didn't get your number yet.
kingreign:

Still, it hasn't answered the question
Re: P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by sultaan(m): 8:19am On Feb 08, 2017
our people have an habit of taking their car to be messed up by mechanics they start asking for help later conveniently omitting prior damage done to their car. Mechanics have no business messing with timing chain if the car is less than 150k miles
Re: P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by Nobody: 9:21am On Feb 08, 2017
sultaan:
our people have an habit of taking their car to be messed up by mechanics they start asking for help later conviniently omitting prior damage done to their car.
You took that right out of my mouth sultaan.
Re: P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by com1234: 10:27pm On Apr 09, 2018
Aladine:
I just had to go through my phone to be sure. Sorry i have mxed you up with ikenna..i actually contacted you through mail and you replied but i didn't get your number yet.

Please how did you resolve this problem?
Re: P0014 Error On My Corolla 2011 by helpishere(m): 12:26pm On Apr 10, 2018
sultaan:
our people have an habit of taking their car to be messed up by mechanics they start asking for help later conveniently omitting prior damage done to their car. Mechanics have no business messing with timing chain if the car is less than 150k miles
That is why you are there. If he cannot run to you when all efforts to revive the car has failed, then you are not a solution provider

(1) (Reply)

Honda Eod 2004 With V6 Engine. How Good Is The Ride Please / Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ??? / I Need A Good Brakemaster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.