Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,500 members, 7,781,513 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:56 PM

FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan (12438 Views)

Saraki Leads Senators To Ekweremadu’s Home / Kemi Adeosun Being Blackmailed By Senators To Do Their Biddings – Premium Times / Coalition For Nigeria: Obasanjo Mobilizes 7 Governors, 20 Senators To Remove PMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by BeeBeeOoh(m): 4:59am On Feb 07, 2017
The Federal Government has asked Nigerians to prevail on the National Assembly to approve the $30 billon loan proposal that was submitted to them last year by President Muhammudu Buhari to fund key policy programmes and reflate the economy.

Minister of Transportation, Hon. Rotimi Amaechi, made the call at the North Central edition of the Town Hall meeting organised by the Ministry of Information and Culture in Ilorin, Kwara State.

The minister noted that the railway sector is supposed to get $6.1 billion from the package for the building of standard gauge railways across the country.

He said the loan for the sector had been approved by the Chinese government, but was being delayed by the refusal of the federal legislators to approve it.

He drew attention to the multiplier effects of the project if the loan was approved. He said: “Ask the National Assembly to kindly approve the borrowing plan sent to them.

As citizens of this country, please help us to ask them to approve the plan. “China has already approved the loan, the only thing limiting us is the refusal of the National Assembly to approve the plan. As citizens of Nigeria in the North Central, please help us ask the National Assembly to approve the plan.”

He said the Federal Government had secured $7.5 billion loan for the construction of standard rail gauge from Lagos to Kano. According to him, the loan was secured from a Chinese bank and the ministry is waiting for approval of the National Assembly to access the loan.

He said that $1.4 billion was for the construction of the rail gauge from Lagos to Ibadan while $6.1 billion would be used on Ibadan–Ilorin–Minna-Kaduna– Kano line.

The minister added that Kaura Namoda–Funtua rail line would be revived. He, therefore, urged Nigerians to impress it on the National Assembly to approve the loan for work on the project to commence.

He added that the central rail project from Itakpe to Warri would be completed before the end of 2017, while narrow gauge line from Ilorin–Minna would also commence during the year.

Amaechi said plans were under way to connect Abuja to other parts of the country through the central line at Warri, while the Jos Inland Port would be completed in June, this year.

He said that a Lagos- Ijebu-Ode-Ore-Benin- Asaba-Agbor-Onitsha- Sapele-Yenagoa-Port Harcourt-Uyo and Calabar coastal rail line would also be constructed.

He said that work on the Eastern rail flank linking Aba to Port Harcourt, Makurdi, Enugu and Jos, would commence in June.

The minister said that Ekiti would be linked by rail through Osogbo and would run to Ilorin, Minna and Kano. He said that the ministry had sought approval to purchase more coaches and locomotives for the Abuja-Kaduna light rail.

Amaechi, who said he would first speak in his capacity as the former Director General of the Buhari Campaign Organisation that midwifed the election of the present administration, told the audience the time for excuses were over.

“We will not disappoint Nigerians, if anyone tells you we will, that person is deceiving you. Although, you won’t believe it if we tell you that we are also suffering, just because we are ministers.

“I think the message you want us to hear is that things are difficult and I can say government has heard you. But we need to correct certain wrong impression they are giving you.

“We knew when we took over that there were challenges. As chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum, we knew there was corruption, we saw how people were carting money away in bags, but many of you didn’t believe me when I said that.

You will recall that I started the issue of missing $29 billion and then the arguments began and up till now, we don’t know what happened. Even if it was $10 billion and it was recovered, just imagine how far that would have helped us today. “But we are no longer going to complain about the challenges we met in office.

Don’t forget that we are not Jesus Christ; we didn’t promise we would solve our problems in one year, otherwise you would have given us one-year mandate.

But you gave us four years, so wait till that four years to complain.” In his contribution, Minister of State for Mineral Development, Hon. Abubakar Bwari, explained that the Federal Government was committed to the revival of Ajaokuta Steel Mills, pointing out that an audit of the company is being currently undertaken after which interested investors would be invited to make bids.

He explained that government could not hand over the project to its initial developers because the consortium that built the project came from the old USSR and is no longer under one entity.

On her part, the Minister of State for Budget and National Planning, Hajia Zainab Ahmed, put the inflation rate at 18 per cent. She advised Nigerians to reduce their over-dependence on imported goods as a way of bringing down the high rate of foreign exchange. According to Ahmed, it is necessary for the people to shun imported foods like wheat and patronize locally grown rice.

Others at the event include the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, his counterpart from the Water Resources Ministry, Alhaji Suleiman Adamu, Professor Isaac Adewole (Health), Aisha Abubakar (Industry, Trade and Investment).

https://newtelegraphonline.com/news/fg-nigerians-prevail-senators-approve-30bn-loan/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by prospero5(m): 5:05am On Feb 07, 2017
Nigerians are prevailing on the government to make life bearable for the common man first.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by NeedGiftcards(m): 5:08am On Feb 07, 2017
What have you done so far with what you have ?

. meanwhile if you have iTunes gift cards,check my signature.

20 Likes

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by Tolexander: 5:21am On Feb 07, 2017
The Federal Government has asked Nigerians to prevail on the National Assembly to approve the $30 billon loan proposal that was submitted to them last year by President Muhammudu Buhari to fund key policy programmes and reflate the economy.
hmmm!

It is not good securing the loan at this time when Nigeria does not have a "substantial" President, apart from the two Presidents(acting and Senate) we presently have.

16 Likes

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by plainol(m): 5:31am On Feb 07, 2017
This Ameachi needs serious brain surgery, a government that has woefully failed it's people is still boasting of "we will perform" if given 20 billion dollars, he thinks he is smart.

He must have been calculating the amount of kickbacks he would get when the money is approved, THIEVES IN GOVERNMENT.

He is boasting now that the solution to Nigeria's problems lies in the money. As governor of rivers state, he felt then that rivers needed a private jet to move forward, imagine the stupidity. Same person is now telling us he has found solution to the mess they created. Useless government.

107 Likes 12 Shares

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by fulaniHERDSman(m): 5:31am On Feb 07, 2017
Yeah! We will ... but not before the revolution that will flush y'all out angry sad

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by freeze001(f): 5:31am On Feb 07, 2017
This one that his monorail in Rivers still terminates into nothingness after how many million dollars wants to handle $6.1B for the entire country! Tufiakwa! No loan! Nigerian leaders should get innovative ND nor get everything handed to them to plunder and despoil!

Where is the economic blueprint the World Bank has asked for since last year? Bunch of thieves!

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by Oladimejyy(m): 5:43am On Feb 07, 2017
(with watering eyes)I know am not worthy to ask because i know i'm stinking of sin before thy sight OH God,Lord please heal my president,restore his health,please he must not die now.
(crying)Although he is not a christian but please Lord i never what to mourn my president.I love him so much please heal him and let your will be done to Nigeria as u wish.AMEN.
Lord i know u cant answer this prayer but please do me a favour by just saying "Yes" Lord.
For those that wish PMB death Lord please dont kill them but kill the very person they love most so that they can feel what they want(pain) PMB family to feel.AMEN.
.ISTANDWITHBUHARIGALLANTLYANDPATIENTLY

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by omenkaLives(m): 5:44am On Feb 07, 2017
We will, as soon as you people tell us the exact position of things as regards the condition of our president.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by princejayboss: 5:44am On Feb 07, 2017
Bunch of crazy people at Aso rock

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by dunkem21(m): 5:45am On Feb 07, 2017
cheesy So without this loan, this government would do nothing

You know what; there will be no loan tongue

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by MakeADifference: 5:48am On Feb 07, 2017
Loan for your family or for who?

14 Likes

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by Nobody: 5:53am On Feb 07, 2017
lipsrsealed
Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by Boleyndynasty2(f): 5:55am On Feb 07, 2017
The way these people talk carelessly most times erh, we need to think inwards on how to solve our problems not run to 1 foreign country or another for loans. And Amaechi, smh

4 Likes

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by MaziOmenuko: 6:04am On Feb 07, 2017
If the president wants the $30bil, he should 'come and tekiet'

No proxies, we want to hand it to him in person. If not, let's continue in auto-pilot until he returns

7 Likes

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by engrMikemd(m): 6:16am On Feb 07, 2017
who is FG abeg

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:21am On Feb 07, 2017
My problem with these loan requests is that Nigerians don't feel the effect in the economy.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by BUHARIISCURSED(m): 6:24am On Feb 07, 2017
grin baba don go cheesy

1 Like

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:26am On Feb 07, 2017
Tolexander:
hmmm!

It is not good securing the loan at this time when Nigeria does not have a "substantial" President, apart from the two Presidents(acting and Senate) we presently have.

Saraki is not a member of the Presidency not to talk of being one of the "Presidents". We have a substantive President (PMB) whose responsibilities and powers is assumed by his Deputy PYO on acting capacity

Don't allow the "President" in "Senate President" to deceive you

3 Likes

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by madridguy(m): 6:31am On Feb 07, 2017
I stand with Buhari.

I say NO to 30 Billion dollars loan.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by Lordave: 6:39am On Feb 07, 2017
madridguy:
I stand with Buhari.

I say NO to 30 Billion dollars loan.
Are you ok?

You stand with PMD and u no want his initiative?

No be $30b wey Buhari wan use settle his 150 cows for bringing him to power?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by Integrityfarms(m): 6:48am On Feb 07, 2017
Amaechi should go and die.

8 Likes

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by SalamRushdie: 6:52am On Feb 07, 2017
So we should prevail on the Senate to approve a loan that would be used to pay politician bogus salaries and not reach the masses .....Ameachi we will not !!!! ..Buhari lacks the vision to steer a country to growth , even if he is given 250 billion dollars I can swear that Buhari won't be able to pull Nigeria out of the recession into a grwth

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by 989900: 6:55am On Feb 07, 2017
You cannot not want the loan, but want relief, or you are just kidding like JK.

And the NASS, the NASS just wants to be bribed -- nothing more; nothing less!

OTOH.

@Amaechi:

It's not about not fixing things, it's not about who got us here or not (we know all those who got us here), it's about if you can't help my case, pls. don't worsen it -- most items are roughly 2-3 times more expensive (no thanks to the dollar racketeering spearheaded by those close to the government/Governor Emefiele/President Buhari) while salaries remain the same -- actually UNPAID!

Ask any knowledgeable person, if you like, build a house and buy a car for every Nigerian, as long as inflation (price) keeps spiralling out of control, the people will always complain, agitate, and ultimately kick you out.

Then you have nepotism, divisiveness, empty pockets and empty stomachs, it's about hopelessness, it's about sluggishness in addressing pressing issues, it's about insensitivity, and honestly you've had it good Mr. Minister, especially with a country of cowards; else we should be stoning your like as per your advice.

Y'all live big, spend big, allocate tons of Fxcking monies to yourselves -- you can wait, but how about a medical doctor with a wife, 3 kids, and an ailing mother that's not been paid salary for months . . . 3 months will be an eternity . . . and that's a guy who's mother probably a widow, spent all her earnings in paying through 6-10 years to get a prestigious medical degree.

I've been in the country for 6weeks and I see poverty everywhere, comfortable people who wouldn't ask me for anything now all call me for one assistance or the other, everyone turned beggar just 'cause of failed policies from the past married to the present.

As much as blames can be spread here and there, and rightfully so; the buck stops with the boss!

In few months, this administration will be 2 years in, and next year election things take center stage.

I campaigned for President Buhari (he begged for the job), 'cause I believed he can turn things around, if he cannot, we will fire him and his team. If you have an employee not delivering (actually making things worse or sluggish) regardless of the contract, you cut him loose and count your losses.

These protests are warning shots . . . whatever good the government is up to, they need to double up or ship out. #pragmatism

2 Likes

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by Oxenomy: 7:06am On Feb 07, 2017
Tell us what you did with the N50 stamp duty you've been collecting from our banking transactions on daily basis... Criminals.. angry angry

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by 989900: 7:14am On Feb 07, 2017
Oxenomy:
Tell us what you did with the N50 stamp duty you've been collecting from our banking transactions on daily basis... Criminals.. angry angry

Case is in court, money frozen, apparently Kashamu's company and some government officials negotiated a bad deal that will see Kashamu's company collect 10% or so, from the trillions the stamp duties would generate.

1 Like

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by ogmask: 7:17am On Feb 07, 2017
plainol:
This Ameachi needs serious brain surgery, a government that has woefully failed it's people is still boasting of "we will perform" if given 20 billion dollars, he thinks he is smart.

He must have been calculating the amount of kickbacks he would get when the money is approved, THIEVES IN GOVERNMENT.

He is boasting now that the solution to Nigeria's problems lies in the money. As governor of rivers state, he felt then that rivers needed a private jet to move forward, imagine the stupidity. Same person is now telling us he has found solution to the mess they created. Useless government.

He remains the best thing that ever happened to rivers state. Is itvsecurity, infrastructure , health-care, education , employment or what. Abeg park well jare.

1 Like

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by zombies: 7:18am On Feb 07, 2017
Lai Mohammed
Minister for Information and Culture
Phone number: 08034301111
Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by Oxenomy: 7:21am On Feb 07, 2017
989900:

Case is in court, money frozen, apparently Kashamu's company and some government officials negotiated a bad deal that will see Kashamu's company collect 10% or so, from the trillions the stamp duties would generate.
But my bank has been deducting N50 from my account almost on daily basis for the same stamp duty whatever angry .. Where is the money going to?

1 Like

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by 989900: 7:24am On Feb 07, 2017
Oxenomy:
But my bank has been deducting N50 from my account almost on daily basis for the same stamp duty whatever angry .. Where is the money going to?

Savings (TSA) till case is resolved.

Disclaimer: the above is not official.
Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by hannyjay(f): 7:28am On Feb 07, 2017
D problem of dis country is dos useless fatty animals call senators. Dey refuse to approve d loan just because dis administration refuse to promise dem dat half of d loan ll b given to dem. ANIMALS i wish dey all perish

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Nigerians: Prevail On Senators To Approve $30bn Loan by TRADELYN: 8:23am On Feb 07, 2017
zombies:
Lai Mohammed
Minister for Information and Culture
Phone number: 08034301111
Sorry, many will NEVER phone him since they already know what to expect. embarassed

Now, they are shifting the blame for their failure from the PDP to the National Assembly. undecided
Honestly, this govt is still not ready and unfit to make positive changes!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osinbajo Summons IGP Idris Over Kidnap Of German Archaeologists / President Buhari Jets Out Of Nigeria For Liberia's 172nd Independent Anniversary / Coalition Of Lawyers, NGO Fault Omoyele Sowore’s Arrest, Detention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.