Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,260 members, 7,780,572 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:42 PM

The Heart Of Man - 2 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Heart Of Man - 2 (437 Views)

The Heart � Robber / To Hate And Love(story That Touches The Heart) By Adaobi Marianne (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Heart Of Man - 2 by hassanbo: 1:02pm On Feb 07, 2017
I stood still for a few seconds while my brain went into overdrive. I needed to come up with a plausible reason that would explain my suspicious moves and give me the chance to still go out to the garage. Just then Mathew whispered, “A good lie must be an edited version of the truth”. I made my decision. Turning around I walked quickly but quietly towards the bed. Speaking in an almost inaudible voice I said
“I heard a sound outside. I am going to investigate it. No matter what you hear do not leave here”
And before she could bring up any protest I turned to leave not forgetting to take her phone off the bedside stool. I pretended to be using its flashlight when I actually wanted to leave her incommunicado. After ensuring the door of the room was firmly closed behind me I sprinted towards the main door. After about five attempts during which the key fell off my hand twice, I got the door opened. Not minding that the door was left opened I ran for the garage cursing under my breath. I missed my step at the turning to the garage and felt a pain in my left ankle when I made to stand up. The two phones were scattered on the ground but I didn’t give a damn. I made straight for the opened garage door limping as fast as I could oblivious of the pain in my ankle. I went straight to where I had kept the package just like Baba ordered.
Fearing that it might somehow have disappeared even with the tall fence I heaved a sigh of relief when I beheld it. I unwrapped the package and carefully brought out the cowry-covered pot. The pungent smell emanating from the concoction therein almost made me throw up. I had a faint idea of the content but now was not the time to dwell over such matters. I took off my clothes as fast as I could, down to my underwear. I dare not check the time. I carried the pot, walked out of the garage and stood naked in the middle of the compound. Raising the pot to my left, my right and then my rear I chanted at each direction :
“Deity of wealth
“I, Kamoru Oladipupo the son of Modeniola hereby offer you the soul of my beloved and in return I request that you grant me immeasurable wealth. Look into my heart and behold my beloved.”
Just then I had compelled my mind to bring up images of Leila in her most lovable moments. Moments when despite myself I got lost and confused. Still holding on to those moments I began eating the concoction in the pot till I could see the bottom. Then I returned the pot back to where Baba ordered me to keep it. I looked down my naked body and felt very tired. Then for the first time in the past one year I dare to think about my true self. Painful memories came back to me like an assault. From Ijora-Badiya to London, From London back to Nigeria. Through the pains and darkness, there was only one hope that kept me going – Zulaikha.

TO BE CONTINUED
- Hassan Bo.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I've Joined The Fight With My Story -- Must Read Nairalanders / In The Eyes The See The Unseen / My Mystery Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.