Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? (2968 Views)

What Tribe Would You Choose And Whats The Reason / Do I Look Nigerian? / Which Tribe Or African Country Do I Look Like I Belong To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Feb 07, 2017
Hey,

I took my ancestry dna from ancestry.com to find information on my heritage and where i come from, it mainly gave me nigeria but no tribe. A few people said i look yoruba but some said igbo.

Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by ModestGal(f): 4:16pm On Feb 07, 2017
Igbo
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by ModestGal(f): 4:17pm On Feb 07, 2017
Jcolston89:
Hey,

I took my ancestry dna from ancestry.com to find information on my heritage and where i come from, it mainly gave me nigeria but no tribe. A few people said i look yoruba but some said igbo.
Igbo, seriously, don't you know where you are from?
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Feb 07, 2017
Listen. Im from America, my family were slaves so no i dont know where my ANCESTORS are from thats why i took a DNA test to TRACE my HERITAGE and it did not give me a tribe. I clearly stated that.
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Probz(m): 5:46pm On Feb 07, 2017
You look like a typical southerner to me. The beard game you've got going on makes me think Igbo but you could just as easily be Yoruba or any other ethnic group.
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Probz(m): 5:47pm On Feb 07, 2017
ModestGal:

Igbo, seriously, don't you know where you are from?

I think he can be forgiven for not knowing the exact origins of his ancestors. Did you not read his OP?

1 Like

Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by RedboneSmith(m): 5:51pm On Feb 07, 2017
That face could be from any corner of Nigeria.

You look almost exactly like a friend of mine from the Niger Delta region of Nigeria tho' (His 'tribe' is Ibibio.) He even has a small goatee just like yours.
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Feb 07, 2017
Probz:
You look like a typical southerner to me. The beard game you've got going on makes me think Igbo but you could just as easily be Yoruba or any other ethnic group.

I am from Mississippi. I wasnt looking for southern recognition.
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Feb 07, 2017
RedboneSmith:
That face could be from any corner of Nigeria.

You look almost exactly like a friend of mine from the Niger Delta region of Nigeria tho' (His 'tribe' is Ibibio.) He even has a small goatee just like yours.

I have no clue how i can figure this out, maybe a paper trail but i cast find much.
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Probz(m): 8:08pm On Feb 07, 2017
Jcolston89:

No need for the cheek.

You asked what ethnic group you look like and I (as did others) said that you look like your standard southern Nigerian and that it's hard to pinpoint an exact tribe in the south. I did hint that I was veering slightly more toward Igbo than others though. Exact answers aren't always easy to give.

1 Like

Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Wulfruna(f): 9:09pm On Feb 07, 2017
Jcolston89:

He didn't mean Southern US. He meant Southern Nigeria. You look like a Southern Nigerian, that's what he was trying to say.

2 Likes

Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Probz(m): 9:55pm On Feb 07, 2017
Wulfruna:

He didn't mean Southern US. He meant Southern Nigeria. You look like a Southern Nigerian, that's what he was trying to say.

Yup, that's exactly what I was trying to say. I thought I made it obvious when I slipped in Igbo/Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by tolulinks(m): 10:53pm On Feb 07, 2017
Why are people suggesting he looks igbo? He's definitely Yoruba. You look like my immediate younger brother Foluso in the second pic!!!!

Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:33am On Feb 08, 2017
Hes mixed with other african ethnicities so it definitely offsets his appearance. Hes probably mixed with both yoruba and igbo in the US so this is an exercise in futility but you're definitely from one or both of these two nigerian ethnic groups.
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:55am On Feb 08, 2017
Ersan:
Hes mixed with other african ethnicities so it definitely offsets his appearance. Hes probably mixed with both yoruba and igbo in the US so this is an exercise in futility but you're definitely from one or both of these two nigerian ethnic groups.

That's bery interesting. Its hard to find a papertrail here. I would have to find a way to see if they can find out for me.
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:56am On Feb 08, 2017
Probz:

Yup, that's exactly what I was trying to say. I thought I made it obvious when I slipped in Igbo/Yoruba.

I thought you meant south, my apologizes
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:57am On Feb 08, 2017
Jcolston89:

That's bery interesting. Its hard to find a papertrail here. I would have to find a way to see if they can find out for me.

I've heard of dna tests that determine not just a persons nationality but the ethnic group as well.
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nowenuse: 12:04pm On Feb 08, 2017
You look Igbo.
But u are definitely most likely to be from Southern Nigeria.
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nowenuse: 12:10pm On Feb 08, 2017
Jcolston89:

I thought you meant south, my apologizes

You really dont look African american. You look very African just like an average Nigerian.
I was thinking u were a Nigerian born abroad who could not trace his roots. It's still somehow the same afterall.
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Feb 08, 2017
Nowenuse:

You really dont look African american. You look very African just like an average Nigerian.
I was thinking u were a Nigerian born abroad who could not trace his roots. It's still somehow the same afterall.

Thinking the same thing too but the appearance of african americans does vary.
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Evestar200(f): 2:43pm On Feb 08, 2017
u look like an average Niger deltan
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Feb 08, 2017
Ersan:

I've heard of dna tests that determine not just a persons nationality but the ethnic group as well.

Some do but those are very expensive, the only one that does is $400 but their dna sample bank doesn't have that many. Ancestry has the biggest data base but it doesnt determine your ethnic group/tribe. Only one site works for African descent individuals and I'll have to save for that one.
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by bigfrancis21: 7:26pm On Feb 08, 2017
Jcolston89:
Hey,

Depending on what part of America you're from, your chances of being one tribe or the other would vary. Slaves from the bight of biafra (Igbo, Ibibio, Izon etc.) were common in the Chesapeake area (Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Washington DC etc.) and slaves from the bight of benin (Akan, Ewe, Aja, Fon, Yoruba etc.) were found mainly in a section in the south of US.

In terms of facial looks, I would say you look Yoruba. However, your phenotypical (physical) expression could be as a result of your other African ancestries coming into play and not necessarily your Nigerian DNA (which is the highest) being dominant.

I must say you look very Nigerian or West African, your genetic distance from West Africa may not be all that much.
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by bigfrancis21: 7:32pm On Feb 08, 2017
Jcolston89:

Some do but those are very expensive, the only one that does is $400 but their dna sample bank doesn't have that many. Ancestry has the biggest data base but it doesnt determine your ethnic group/tribe. Only one site works for African descent individuals and I'll have to save for that one.

Ya true and one thing I also noticed is the DNA sample for the Igbo tribe is often taken from the Northern Igbo area, whereas the bulk of Igbo slaves were shipped from the southern Igbo axis. Ordinarily I would expect very little genetic variation among the Igbo tribe, however taking specific samples from the actual part that participated would only ensure more accurate results.

An African American, Chinyere Naja Njoku, of Igbo ancestry specializes in bridging the disconnect between African Americans and Africans and she could assist you in finding out your Nigerian ancestry. http://www.dnatestedafricans.org/
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by omohayek: 10:54pm On Feb 10, 2017
tolulinks:
Why are people suggesting he looks igbo? He's definitely Yoruba. You look like my immediate younger brother Foluso in the second pic!!!!
Uh, because contrary to what Nairaland tribal-warriors would love to believe, Igbos, Edos, Igalas, Yorubas and other southern Nigerians are virtually genetically indistinguishable, and are therefore nearly impossible to tell apart without identifying cultural cues? There are numerous young men from any of the groups I've mentioned who would like just like the OP or your younger brother (or you, for that matter).
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Feb 10, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Depending on what part of America you're from, your chances of being one tribe or the other would vary. Slaves from the bight of biafra (Igbo, Ibibio, Izon etc.) were common in the Chesapeake area (Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Washington DC etc.) and slaves from the bight of benin (Akan, Ewe, Aja, Fon, Yoruba etc.) were found mainly in a section in the south of US.

In terms of facial looks, I would say you look Yoruba. However, your phenotypical (physical) expression could be as a result of your other African ancestries coming into play and not necessarily your Nigerian DNA (which is the highest) being dominant.

I must say you look very Nigerian or West African, your genetic distance from West Africa may not be all that much.

I'm from Mississippi (gulf of mexico) deep south
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:25am On Feb 11, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Ya true and one thing I also noticed is the DNA sample for the Igbo tribe is often taken from the Northern Igbo area, whereas the bulk of Igbo slaves were shipped from the southern Igbo axis. Ordinarily I would expect very little genetic variation among the Igbo tribe, however taking specific samples from the actual part that participated would only ensure more accurate results.

An African American, Chinyere Naja Njoku, of Igbo ancestry specializes in bridging the disconnect between African Americans and Africans and she could assist you in finding out your Nigerian ancestry. http://www.dnatestedafricans.org/

Thank you
Re: What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:26am On Feb 11, 2017
tolulinks:

He has a nice name, we favor

(1) (Reply)

Northerners In Nigeria Fight against anti Pedophilia Law / 120 Mathematical Terms Translated Into Igbo / Here Are The Top 7 Richest King In Nigeria – See Their Net Worth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.