Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,252 members, 7,780,538 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:03 PM

Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) (23462 Views)

12 Most Beautiful Cities In Africa 2018 (pictures) / 10 Most Beautiful Cities In Nigeria (pics, Video) - Ovoko.com.ng / 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by SmartyPants(m): 1:30pm On Feb 08, 2017
dapolaw:
If Kano could be 9m in 2009, how come its now 3m in 2017.... Abi Boko Haram don kill everybody for there?

You need to read this:

folem:
If you believe in these outlandish figures, you are on your own.

Lagos State is less than half of the quoted figures.

https://africacheck.org/factsheets/factsheet-nigerias-population-figures/

Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by piagetskinner(m): 1:32pm On Feb 08, 2017
Ur list is flawed...
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by thexzy(m): 1:32pm On Feb 08, 2017
grad:
Please whats the difference between Oyo and Ibadan. Is Oyo now inside Ibadan, why is Oyo's Population smaller than Ibadan?
Exactly the question that's on my mind. How possibly can Oyo be inside Ibadan?? Except He wanted to write Uyo NOT Oyo.
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by malware: 1:34pm On Feb 08, 2017
SmartyPants:

3m is not a small number... but if you are sure the figure is wrong then why not provide the correct figure along with a reputable source?

Is that source written by the OP reputable?
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by akulaxx: 1:34pm On Feb 08, 2017
Thats a false figure

Pure Yoruba propaganda

nonsence
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by malware: 1:35pm On Feb 08, 2017
SmartyPants:

Hey! What do you mean by this? Lagos is a city. Ikeja was never a city...it was a big town that has now been absorbed into Lagos city along with other towns and areas. Lagos city is what we refer to as a conurbation or a metropolis. It is a mega city such as New York, or London.

And Abuja is what? Lagos boy.... Born in Lagos, schooled and lived your whole life in LAgos.
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by SmartyPants(m): 1:36pm On Feb 08, 2017
malware:

Is that source written by the OP reputable?

Actually, no it is not.

I kind of skipped over it in my mind because when i checked the web for Lagos population figures it tallied with what he posted.
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by napoleon77(m): 1:38pm On Feb 08, 2017
SmartyPants:

I asked you a simple question, which if you had conducted your research honorably should have been quite easy for you to provide. It's not about winning the argument. If you can provide the data, i will accept your claim, since i have no vested interest in either set of figures being correct or wrong. Do you have a vested interest in the matter? If no, why are you being defensive?

Lol.

The way you argue I can tell that you are very smart so arguing with you will be easy.

I was born and bred in Lagos and stayed there before I moved abroad so I have no reason to be critical of Lagos in a fair argument.

The original poster compared Lagos to some towns in Nigeria. He did not indicate if it was Lagos State, Lagos City, Lagos Island or Lagos Mainland.

He quoted a website that clearly is not an authoritative source of Nigerian census figures. I quoted the website of the National Population Commission.

If you chose to believe his website is more authentic than the National Population Commissions website then fine.
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by TrollTrap: 1:40pm On Feb 08, 2017
Lol man said Onitsha 500k...u well?? angry
Have u been to Onitsha, smh. Kano 3mil lol this guy
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by PassingShot(m): 1:43pm On Feb 08, 2017
SmartyPants:

That is the population of Lagos city my friend.
That's total estimated population of Lagos state. Stop arguing from position of ignorance.
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by SmartyPants(m): 1:47pm On Feb 08, 2017
napoleon77:

Lol.

The way you argue I can tell that you are very smart so arguing with you will be easy.

I was born and bred in Lagos and stayed there before I moved abroad so I have no reason to be critical of Lagos in a fair argument.

The original poster compared Lagos to some towns in Nigeria. He did not indicate if it was Lagos State, Lagos City, Lagos Island or Lagos Mainland.

He quoted a website that clearly is not an authoritative source of Nigerian census figures. I quoted the website of the National Population Commission.

If you chose to believe his website is more authentic than the National Population Commissions website then fine.

If you look through my other posts on this thread, you will see that i have already accepted that the OP's source is unreliable and i have embraced another set of facts. Contrary to what you seem to think, i am not defending Lagos... being a large city is not a prize after all.
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by napoleon77(m): 1:49pm On Feb 08, 2017
SmartyPants:

If you look through my other posts on this thread, you will see that i have already accepted that the OP's source is unreliable and i have embraced another set of facts. Contrary to what you seem to think, i am not defending Lagos... being a large city is not a prize after all.

What facts??
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by SmartyPants(m): 1:50pm On Feb 08, 2017
PassingShot:

That's total estimated population of Lagos state. Stop arguing from position of ignorance.

You are wrong but then that is nothing new with you nairalanders who prefer to be heard rather than to share facts.

So, my "well-informed" friend, can you please list any major population center in Lagos state, outside of Lagos city?

Most of you don't even realize that by land mass Lagos is a small state and almost all the population is located within Lagos city as we know it.
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by Richy4(m): 1:50pm On Feb 08, 2017
ajalawole:
yes dea is. Oyo town in oyo, that is where federal collage of education (special) oyo is located. Ibadan is the state capital

Ok thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by SmartyPants(m): 1:51pm On Feb 08, 2017
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by Richy4(m): 1:53pm On Feb 08, 2017
RockHard:

Yes. Oyo city exists within Oyo state and encompasses 3 local government area. It is the Alaafin's domain and not too far from Ogbomosho, which is another major city within Oyo state.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyo,_Oyo

Ok Thanks smiley
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by PassingShot(m): 2:09pm On Feb 08, 2017
SmartyPants:

You are wrong but then that is nothing new with you nairalanders who prefer to be heard rather than to share facts.

So, my "well-informed" friend, can you please list any major population center in Lagos state, outside of Lagos city?

Most of you don't even realize that by land mass Lagos is a small state and almost all the population is located within Lagos city as we know it.
You're too ignorant for my liking. Dice it as you like Lagos state has the following distinct cities:

Lagos city - consisting of places such as Agege, Mushin, and Ikeja

Lekki - about 1,000,000 est population

Ikorodu - about 535,000

Eko Atlantic - about 250,000

Badagry - about 241,000

Epe - est population of 184,000

Ojo - est population of 508,000

It's not a biggie to make a mistake. It is foolery to want to pretend to know when you don't.

The 20 million figure quoted is an estimated population of the whole of Lagos state comprising of cities mentioned above.

You won't get a reply after this.
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by Franchise21(m): 2:12pm On Feb 08, 2017
All others there re cities.

Lagos is a state...

And who organised this census??
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by panpan(m): 2:12pm On Feb 08, 2017
Hmm! So Okene has a higher population than Ijebu Ode, Osogbo, Ado Ekiti, Akure, Owerri, Uyo, Calabar, Lokoja, Makurdi, Minna, Yola, Bauchi!
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by lx3as(m): 2:13pm On Feb 08, 2017
thexzy:
Exactly the question that's on my mind. How possibly can Oyo be inside Ibadan?? Except He wanted to write Uyo NOT Oyo.

You're confusing yourself. The 3 biggest cities in Oyo state are Ibadan, Ogbomoso, & Oyo (town); just as we have Ondo town in Ondo state
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by giles14(m): 2:15pm On Feb 08, 2017
VastFinder:
Nigeria is a nation that is made up of 36 states and capitals. Some of these states have cities were businesses thrives in Nigeria, thereby increasing the economic base the country. Most of the cities that are populated, consist of the Igbos, Yoruba's and Hausas, different people of different tribes.

Here are the list of the Most Populous Cities in Nigeria with their figures
Lagos – 21,642, 797
Kano – 3, 626, 068
Ibadan – 3, 500, 000
Abuja – 3, 000, 000
Port Harcourt – 1, 947, 000
Kaduna – 1, 652, 844
Ogbomoso 1, 500,000
Benin – 1, 400, 000
Aba – 1, 277, 300
Maiduguri – 1, 200, 000
Zaria – 1, 018, 827
Jos – 900, 000
Ilorin – 847, 582
Enugu – 722, 664
Oyo – 620, 400
Abeokuta – 529, 700
Onitsha – 509, 500
Warri – 500, 900
Sokoto – 500, 500
Okene – 444, 900

From the above most populous cities in Nigeria, there is no doubt that Lagos is the most populated city in Nigeria, due to her environment which is suitable for business to thrive.

Source: https://vastfinder..com/2017/02/most-populous-cities-in-nigeria-updated.html

nonsense ranking
nnewi is more populous than okene and sokoto.
even Onitsha is more populous than aba.
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by IVORY2009(m): 2:15pm On Feb 08, 2017
[s]
PassingShot:

You're too ignorant for my liking. Dice it as you like Lagos state has the following distinct cities:

Ikorodu - about 535,000

Badagry - about 241,000

It's not a biggie to make a mistake. It is foolery to want to pretend to know when you don't.

The 20 million figure quoted is an estimated population of the whole of Lagos state comprising of cities mentioned above.

[/s]

You're not right either!
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by awo666(m): 2:16pm On Feb 08, 2017
Stanleysteno:
I am not understanding, ibadan is 1.5m while oyo is 600 n sometin thousand.. Someone shoul pls help me out
don't u understand simple English
Ibadan 3.5m
Oyo town 6ook
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by SmartyPants(m): 2:21pm On Feb 08, 2017
PassingShot:

Ikorodu - about 535,000

Badagry - about 241,000

You are on a very long thing. Are you quoting me to feel relevant?

Progressive minded and intelligent people have already moved on to the fact that Lagos is actually about 9-10 million, you are still here bandying about an old figure with wrong breakdowns trying to prove a point i am not interested in.

Who is interested in receiving replies from a slowpoke like you?

All of the places you listing are part of Lagos city (Lagos metropolitan area). A point which i made much earlier on.

Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by miketayo(m): 2:41pm On Feb 08, 2017
ritababe:
Lagos is a state bro, you could have use Ikeja as a city.

lagos is a city as well.
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by morisnewrain(m): 3:00pm On Feb 08, 2017
advocatebaba:
U MEANS SAY LAGOS GET POPULATION OF 21MILLION AND KANO 3MILLION PEOPLE BRO FEAR GOD.
Don't mind him. He just heard Lagos is most populous state & he forged the remaining. There is even argument between Lagos & Kano. Lagos is most populous state not city. Imagine, he mentioned Ogbomoso before ILORIN , ONITSHA, WARRI, ABEOKUTA, MAIDUGURI, JOS, ZARIA & ABA. I believe is from OGBOMOSO.
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by Moffyman(m): 3:39pm On Feb 08, 2017
Onitsha at just over 500k is totally wrong
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by Fredric222(m): 3:49pm On Feb 08, 2017
ritababe:
Lagos is a state bro, you could have use Ikeja as a city.
Lagos as a whole is a city
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by advocatebaba(m): 4:12pm On Feb 08, 2017
morisnewrain:
Don't mind him. He just heard Lagos is most populous state & he forged the remaining. There is even argument between Lagos & Kano. Lagos is most populous state not city. Imagine, he mentioned Ogbomoso before ILORIN , ONITSHA, WARRI, ABEOKUTA, MAIDUGURI, JOS, ZARIA & ABA. I believe is from OGBOMOSO.
Only God knws 4rm wich hell he got his presumptous figure, d op tinks e can dish anythin e likes 2us like IDP'S... e doesnt knw d diff btw state nd city. olodo pipu.
Re: Most Populous Cities In Nigeria (updated) by seniorkachion(m): 4:26pm On Feb 08, 2017
Stanleysteno:

sister, the thing tire me ooo, ibadan which is a city and the capital of oyo state has 1.5m while oyo is 600 n somtin
Is there no town in oyo state known as oyo. Is that not the place the alaafin holds his court!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

All Africans Travelling To Nigeria Can Get Visa On Arrival / 2 Cars Collide With An Okada On Eko Bridge (Photos) / Dirtiest Places In Lagos| Co-tenant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.