Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,860 members, 7,802,757 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? (15789 Views)

Accounting Officers Needed In Our Owerri Branch Office / Lady Sacked For Not Wearing Bra To Work In US (Photos) / Diamond Bank Branch Mbaise In IMO State Celebrates Children's Day In Style (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by annexworld(m): 11:58am On Feb 08, 2017
Ariel20:

Your opinion is as myopic as your website

Thanks for the insult miss or mrs myopic

Say your mind on the issues affecting Nigeria's educational issue. Say it now on [url]forum.insideeducation.ng[/url]
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by Ferdyboss: 11:59am On Feb 08, 2017
From Home office cool cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by obamma: 12:01pm On Feb 08, 2017
See others interesting opinions on this here http://exitsquare.com
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by Isiterere(m): 12:07pm On Feb 08, 2017
sammieguze:
Head office for those that are focused on making it to the top.

Branch office for the lazy ones who just want to continue collecting their regular change.

What a poor reasoning!
Can everybody work at the head office?
smh

ALL IZZ WELL

2 Likes

Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Feb 08, 2017
Bleep Job....am a Business Man
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by kolafolabi(m): 12:15pm On Feb 08, 2017
Head Office is where everything happens

2 Likes

Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by amojis(m): 12:43pm On Feb 08, 2017
Head Office......easy to rise, easy to be fired on whim for messing up, you'll have fake friends as colleagues, subordinates will fear and respect you for being an a**hole superior (eye service things)

Branch Office.....easy to run higher degrees, monitor your side business, closer friends as colleagues, your subordinates wont respect you as an a**hole superior

For me, branch office after my masters degree, professional exams and establishing a side business. After that.....head office all the way till i leave the organization!

4 Likes

Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by tizzle(m): 12:50pm On Feb 08, 2017
whichever pays the most

1 Like

Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by Electronzeez(m): 1:16pm On Feb 08, 2017
Jarus:

Head office for me

Pros of Head Office

1, You tend to be noticed easily by key decision makers and that may speed up your rise in the company

Con of Head Office

1, More pressure

Pro of Branch

1, Less pressure, and a little more independence (or if you like, laziness)

Con

1, Folks at HO may have faster promotion
2, At some point, you may lose motivation and become complacent and probably static in your career

Well said .

You can rise far beyond where you expected if you work in the Head Office .but seriously branch office is better for engineering firm .

There is just this too much pressure and being watch when you work at the head office which I don't completely like .

I will continue to thank God for being transfered to the head office .
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by elampiro(m): 1:21pm On Feb 08, 2017
It looks to me that in banks branch office staff have more work load and close late than head office staff. In branch you have endless requests, calls, etc from customers. Regional head is on you, head office is on you, etc.

Visit head office, there is nothing like customers distractions, it's just the brain working cooling. They even delay branch requests thinking they are bosses of the branch staff not knowing they are ultimately delaying the customers. Go to head office, some close 5pm or 6pm and they think they have really worked late. On top of this they get easy promotion for doing little.

5 Likes

Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by elampiro(m): 1:22pm On Feb 08, 2017
annexworld:
Head office. Branch na for the lazy ones. Say your mind on the issues affecting nigeria's educational issue. Say it now on [url]forum.insideeducation.ng[/url]

To me, head office is for lazy ones when it comes to banking. I don't know of others.
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by elampiro(m): 1:24pm On Feb 08, 2017
Jarus:

Head office for me

Pros of Head Office

1, You tend to be noticed easily by key decision makers and that may speed up your rise in the company

Con of Head Office

1, More pressure

Pro of Branch

1, Less pressure, and a little more independence (or if you like, laziness)

Con

1, Folks at HO may have faster promotion
2, At some point, you may lose motivation and become complacent and probably static in your career

What you listed above is just the opposite in banking. The only thing that is true is that head office staff get promoted faster.... for doing little.
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Feb 08, 2017
elampiro:

To me, head office is for lazy ones when it comes to banking. I don't know of others.

You're taking mental/intellectual load for laziness.

HO guys are more of strategy/tactical guys who use their brains more.

Branch activities are mainly operational - process. Less strategic thinking.

They're not lazy. Their work just requires more brain than routine processing oof document which takes more time and less mental requirement.

2 Likes

Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Feb 08, 2017
Funny enough, in my organizations head office, staff browse internet and watch youtube almost all day doing very little work. It's those at the branches that work like slaves, especially those within Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by ameezy(m): 2:51pm On Feb 08, 2017
wizkidblogger:
Branch office so I can have enough time to do my other runz jare grin
Chop knocle cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by mikepal: 3:00pm On Feb 08, 2017
I prefer to work in an office dat has no head or branch
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by wizkidblogger(f): 3:29pm On Feb 08, 2017
ameezy:

Chop knocle cheesy

who knuckle epp? Thank you sha grin
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by elampiro(m): 4:27pm On Feb 08, 2017
Jarus:

You're taking mental/intellectual load for laziness.

HO guys are more of strategy/tactical guys who use their brains more.

Branch activities are mainly operational - process. Less strategic thinking.

They're not lazy. Their work just requires more brain than routine processing oof document which take more time and less mental requirement.

This is a wrong impression. The branch staff combine brain and work load including customer distractions. The head office staff only uses his brain and mislead himself with thought he is smarter than the branch staff. The branch staff is a Champion of multitasking. He meets and manages the highest men the society - the Obas, Governor, Deputy Governor, Jdges, Army Commander, etc. Mind you, there is a limited time everyday to accomplish so much.

Branch staff excell when they get to head office. Head office staff are exposed when they get to the branch, their laziness and lack of proper decision making is easily exposed.

Again branch staff have to specialize in several areas. Credit, Risk Management, Operations, Relationship, Forex, etc. Head office staff has to specialize in one area - IT or Credit or Treasury or One part of Operations, etc

I have had a reason to train in head office for a particular function for two weeks. The first week was the training, the second week I had to perform the task. Truth be told, head office staff think they are busy but they don't know what it means to be really busy. I was almost forced to ask 'is this all you do'? I got bored. I even had to ask them why exactly they were closing late because it was just their making, not necessarily work load.

They are just enjoying. True. I will gadly be happy to use only my brain without the distractions and fire from the customers.

4 Likes

Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by Bollove: 6:31pm On Feb 08, 2017
elampiro:

This is a wrong impression. The branch staff combine brain and work load including customer distractions. The head office staff only uses his brain and mislead himself with thought he is smarter than the branch staff. The branch staff is a Champion of multitasking. He meets and manages the highest men the society - the Obas, Governor, Deputy Governor, Jdges, Army Commander, etc. Mind you, there is a limited time everyday to accomplish so much.

Branch staff excell when they get to head office. Head office staff are exposed when they get to the branch, their laziness and lack of proper decision making is easily exposed.

Again branch staff have to specialize in several areas. Credit, Risk Management, Operations, Relationship, Forex, etc. Head office staff has to specialize in one area - IT or Credit or Treasury or One part of Operations, etc

I have had a reason to train in head office for a particular function for two weeks. The first week was the training, the second week I had to perform the task. Truth be told, head office staff think they are busy but they don't know what it means to be really busy. I was almost forced to ask 'is this all you do'? I got bored. I even had to ask them why exactly they were closing late because it was just their making, not necessarily work load.

They are just enjoying. True. I will gadly be happy to use only my brain without the distractions and fire from the customers.
Don't limit the thread to banking sector alone ......

When a Branch staff gets to the head office, he/she needs to be trained for the workload therein. Also, where a staff from HO gets transferred to the BO, he/she shall be trained on the operability of the branch .....

Responsibilities differ also the environment differs .....

H/O is mainly strategic in nature and don't forget the HO has to respond to the daily request of all Branches worldwide while BO only takes care of their own operation as well as their own challenges !!!

BO is mainly Operational in nature so together they complement one another and make a SYSTEM !!!

Personally,
I prefer working in the H/O simply because I love it at Strategic level of Management where you rub shoulder to shoulder with the big guns and be a party to advanced decision making while also monitoring its effective and efficient implementation throughout the network !!!

Also, you are critical to the overall success of the organisation and not just from perspective of your branch..... Also, I love the swagger that comes with being an HO staff especially when you visit the BO for some kinda inspection grin .... The rep and the attention u kno tongue !!! "

HO staffs get HO rating while BO staffs get BO rating

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by fowosh: 8:47pm On Feb 08, 2017
root office.....nonsense question
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by elampiro(m): 11:23pm On Feb 08, 2017
Bollove:
Don't limit the thread to banking sector alone ......

Refer to my first post on the topic. I said my posts was limited to banking sector, it didnt address other sectors.

Bollove:

When a Branch staff gets to the head office, he/she needs to be trained for the workload therein. Also, where a staff from HO gets transferred to the BO, he/she shall be trained on the operability of the branch .....

Responsibilities differ also the environment differs .....

The truth is, from my experience, branch staff excel when transferred to head office. Head office staff struggle when sent to the branch.

Bollove:

H/O is mainly strategic in nature and don't forget the HO has to respond to the daily request of all Branches worldwide while BO only takes care of their own operation as well as their own challenges !!!

BO is mainly Operational in nature so together they complement one another and make a SYSTEM !!!

An H/O staff is to respond to all branches on only his line of expertise/duty. The branch staff has to specialize in all aspect and keep updating himself with ever changing policies and processes in all of the functions. The branch staff deals with virtually all the departments in head office and all other branches having customer's issues to resolve with him/her. Each head office department passes mails to the branch staff (operations head particularly) like it's the only department the branch staff has to relate with. As a branch staff, you might get an urgent report/request from the IT unit, they need it in 30 minutes, then treasury might need their own report in 15 minutes, card unit might need theirs before the end of the day, credit unit might need an instant report, etc. Yet the branch staff has to deliver all of these with the added pressure to satisfy customers. There might be a very heavy crowd on the day. Remember there is the cash management and control aspect.

The branch staff has to familiarize himself and updated on various kinds of credits- personal loans, business loans, overdraft, form etc. The documentations to open all kind of accounts, e-banking (cards services to customer, online banking, ATM, etc). He has to proof his internal GL accounts, reconcile them and balance all of them. He has to go defend his figures in regional meetings. The list is endless, and all these are not part of the pressure from the customers. Pressure is not just about customer waiting to withdraw or pay in. Imagine when a deputy governor has a delayed FX transfer to settle a bill abroad, and as a branch staff you have to track the transaction via head office.

In summary, a branch staff has to be very knowledgeable (an expert) in all things. Common account opening documentation can let a branch staff down when for instance he has to go deep with a customer who wants to open association account or company account, etc. The documenation are diffent and you are not going to tell the customer you want to consult your manual. grin When you go into credit, it is a very large area. Remember the risk that goes with operations, processing error can be catastrophic. Nobody will remember one was under pressure on the day the error was committed. Even little things as your cashier unable to balance means you can't go home.

Bollove:

Personally,
I prefer working in the H/O simply because I love it at Strategic level of Management where you rub shoulder to shoulder with the big guns and be a party to advanced decision making while also monitoring its effective and efficient implementation throughout the network !!!

Also, you are critical to the overall success of the organisation and not just from perspective of your branch..... Also, I love the swagger that comes with being an HO staff especially when you visit the BO for some kinda inspection grin .... The rep and the attention u kno tongue !!! "

HO staffs get HO rating while BO staffs get BO rating

It depends. I don't see H/O staff as any special. Although we try to pally with H/O staff to get our transactions and issues resolved faster than other branches. Some of our colleagues have left branches to H/O, so we know how it is. At some point in my career, I worked in a unit that required me going to H/O almost weekly. There I saw many things and also visited some of our staff who left branch to H/O, they were so much relieved of the branch stress. I personally wouldn't choose to work in Lagos though. I started my career there, but I left at the slightest opportunity. I hate the traffic. That was the terrible traffic before Fashola came as governor.
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by Bollove: 5:42am On Feb 09, 2017
elampiro:

Alright man, Ur points are also good and I enjoy reading them ! Thanks !!
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by suzzyrims: 8:59pm On Jun 21, 2019
Well said.
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by brohb: 12:18pm On Apr 12, 2020
Hi everybody,

I am interested in this topic, what do you think about IT Consultant companies (i.e. Accenture, Avanade):

which are the PROS and CONS of working in Head Vs Branch offices in this case?
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by suzzyrims: 9:36pm On Jun 10, 2020
Re: Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? by adesbaba: 9:24pm On Mar 25, 2022
Hmmn

(1) (2) (Reply)

Retrenchment: FG Commences Negotiations With Financial Unions / What Does It Mean If Your Employer Is Advertising For Your Position / Earn #1000 Daily On Scooper App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.