Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN (18096 Views)

Buhari Writes Senate For Confirmation Of 10 CCB Nominees / Senate Rejects Ibrahim Magu's Confirmation As EFCC Chairman Again / Yemi Osinbajo Swears In Onnoghen As CJN (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by midehi2(f): 10:00am On Feb 08, 2017
ItsawrapOutfit:

From Nigeria, say NO to tribalism
Ha! I just want to know, no such of tribalism okay
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by emi14: 10:06am On Feb 08, 2017
IYANGBALI:
My uncle is gradually possessing his possession while baba is away. Power don take style return to us again,abooooki no go like dis at all.

Sai Osinbajo grin grin grin

This is careless talk. Is not gonna be easy this time
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by IYANGBALI: 10:09am On Feb 08, 2017
emi14:

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by KanwuliaExtra: 10:27am On Feb 08, 2017
IS NIGERIA NOW A FAILED STATE?

MISSING PRESIDENT

145 of 1999 Constitution:

"Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-President as Acting President."

When traveling in January, Gen Muhammadu Buhari PERSONALLY transmitted a letter to the National Assembly, notifying them of a SPECIFIC TEN DAYS VACATION, which ended on February 6, 2017. This letter was duly read and became part and parcel of the Votes and Proceedings of the National Assembly.

The president did not return on February 6 as he promised but he has purportedly taken an extended vacation, on ground of ill health, through a letter they was said to have been transmitted to the National Assembly. That "letter" has not been seen by anyone, in order to determine its authenticity and its real author.

The "letter" has not been READ ON THE FLOORS of either Chambers of the National Assembly, to make it part of its Votes and Proceedings. In effect, the legal capacity of Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, ends midnight February 6, 2017.

Somehow, as if acting out a clever script, the Senate had hurriedly adjourned it sitting to February 24, ever before the "letter" for an extended vacation arrived. So legally, the "letter" is cooling somewhere in the National Assembly, just another letter, without any force of law. A letter transmitted to the National Assembly MUST BE READ at the plenary session to become binding.

So, by February 7, 2017, there will be no President or Acting President.

Prof Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, is from the Southern part of Nigeria.

MISSING CHIEF JUSTICE

Section 231(5) of 1999 Constitution:

"(5) Except on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council, an appointment pursuant to the provisions of subsection (4) of this section shall cease to have effect after the expiration of three months from the date of such appointment, and the President shall not re-appointment a person whose appointment has lapsed."

On November 9, 2016, the Hon Jus Mahmoud Mohammed, CJN, retired as the Chief Justice of Nigeria. The National Judicial Council recommended but the President ignored the choice of Hon Jus Walter Onnoghen, JSC, as Chief Justice of Nigeria, but proceeded to swear him in Acting capacity for three months. Until he traveled for his ten day vacation, the President did not forward the nomination of Hon Jus Walter Onnoghen to the Senate, for confirmation as substantive Chief Justice of Nigeria. Up until the time that the tenure of the Acting President will expire this night, he did not forward the name and so he cannot do so after tonight.

The tenure of the Acting CJN will lapse on February 10, 2017. As of this night, the NJC has not met to consider recommending Hon Jus Onnoghen for renewal as Acting CJN. The NJC cannot do this after February 6, 2017, as there will be no President or Acting President, to receive such recommendation.

Hon Jus Onnoghen is from the Southern part of Nigeria.

MISSING SENATE

The President of the Senate is facing multiple trials, bordering on failure to declare his assets. If he is convicted, he would have to step down as Senate President.

NOW THE KNOTTY QUESTIONS:

1. So where are we?
2. Has the Nigerian nation failed?
3. Are we being tricked or taken for a ride by some people?
4. How come the sudden adjournment of the Senate?
5. Was somebody aware prior to today that the president will not arrive this week?
6. Is this all a game? If so, who are the players and who are the spectators?
7. Who singed the letter for extended vacation?
8. In the absence of a substantive Chief Justice of Nigeria, what is the fate of the judiciary?
9. Who is that in charge of the affairs in Nigeria presently?
10. Must we all sit down and tolerate all these nonsense?

You may add your own questions and keep adding them until we get the answers.

Nigeria we hail thee!

GOD BLESS HER CITIZENS....

Fantastically-CORRUPT!!!! grin
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by Ugosample(m): 10:27am On Feb 08, 2017
emi14:

You think? What is the worse case scenario? They kill him?
Oga if Buhari is incapacitated, osinbajo is president. Period

6 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by Reptyle(m): 10:28am On Feb 08, 2017
seguno2:
Osinbajo ti take over, even if na acting capacity.
Let us hope things go faster before Buhari returns from his sick leave.

Do you seriously think that the Acting President will take this kind of major decision without clearing with the President and getting his approval first?

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by Akainzo(m): 10:32am On Feb 08, 2017
mesoprogress:
Osinbajo will need as much southerners as possible to counteract Buhari's fulani muslim filled cabinet. The same ediots that keep quiet when Christians are subjugated in the North, killed mindlessly without any protection. I have lost faith in Fulanis, nobody will ever vote them again except their brothers. Northern votes will always be shared between Christians and Fulanis, in the south here they get zero vote. I hope Yorubas have learnt their lessons once and for all.

Even though South fight one another, they regroup when they are needed most.

Southern Nigeria's mumu don do

Your ilk are so bigoted that you immediately look for ethnic or religious connotation in happenings.

So it is the Yorubas that should learn their lessons simply because they voted along the same lines with the Notherners, but the South Easterners and South South that have been perennial Hausa companions since the 1959 elections are now to be praised abi? As usual with you guys, you assume history started in 2010.

BTW, the cabinet of the present Government has a larger percentage of Christians, that is verifiable.

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by cyberguy72(m): 10:59am On Feb 08, 2017
9jakohai:

It was Buhari who nominated the guy initially.
he nomianted him reluctantly his hands where tied cos Onoghen was the most Senior Judicial officer

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by BuddhaPalm(m): 11:09am On Feb 08, 2017
olaolulazio:
Our able president!

If you see how much I want our able commissioner to become presido eh...
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by mesoprogress(m): 11:16am On Feb 08, 2017
Akainzo:

Your ilk are so bigoted that you immediately look for ethnic or religious connotation in happenings.

So it is the Yorubas that should learn their lessons simply because they voted along the same lines with the Notherners, but the South Easterners and South South that have been perennial Hausa companions since the 1959 elections are now to be praised abi? As usual with you guys, you assume history started in 2010.

BTW, the cabinet of the present Government has a larger percentage of Christians, that is a verifiable.
Call me what you want, the world is moving towards self preservation. You see Brexit, Trump election, etc.Google Frexit , France will vote a nationalist next election, pull out of EU and ban countries supporting Terrorism like Trump is doing. Enough of political correctness. Non violent Muslims should rise up and stop terrorism, else the world will leave both the calm and violent ones behind. It is coming, it has begun.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by gabrielniy(m): 11:26am On Feb 08, 2017
9jakohai:

Nah, it was NJC. By virtue of hierarchy, he's the next in line.
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by princefaculty(m): 11:39am On Feb 08, 2017
Good leadership is not by height sha o. What a tall lanky man couldn't do for months....

Some say no be by going to school or being good upstairs but by shouting chanji but now they know better.
God bless Nigeria my country
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by GoodMuyis(m): 11:41am On Feb 08, 2017
mesoprogress:
Osinbajo will need as much southerners as possible to counteract Buhari's fulani muslim filled cabinet. The same ediots that keep quiet when Christians are subjugated in the North, killed mindlessly without any protection. I have lost faith in Fulanis, nobody will ever vote them again except their brothers. Northern votes will always be shared between Christians and Fulanis, in the south here they get zero vote. I hope Yorubas have learnt their lessons once and for all.

Politics is not about who you hate or who hate you BUT about interest, and when interest align politicians align, and also adjust to any realignment.

don't be suprise to see greater realignment BTW SS,SE + NC, NE coming 2019

politics
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by cktheluckyman: 11:48am On Feb 08, 2017
9jakohai:

he was nominated by the NJC and not Buhari
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by cktheluckyman: 11:49am On Feb 08, 2017
GoodMuyis:

Politics is not about who you hate or who hate you BUT about interest, and when interest align politicians align, and also adjust to any realignment.

don't be suprise to see greater realignment BTW SS,SE + NC, NE coming 2019

politics

no dear The sw will be paid back in their own coins.You don't preach southern unity only when it suits you
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by cktheluckyman: 11:50am On Feb 08, 2017
senatordave1:
Buhari and osinbanjo have finally shamed the wailers by this act.me and onnoghen hail from the same local govt.he is the most incorruptible judge around would make the best cjn ever.up buhari,up osinbajo,up apc

south south indeed!!!!
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by Max24: 12:03pm On Feb 08, 2017
cktheluckyman:

no dear The sw will be paid back in their own coins.You don't preach southern unity only when it suits you
Then u will stay in one place for a long time. You heard what KANU Orji said. You better play the politics right instead of who offended u yesterday but need still. Even Jesus said agree quickly with ur adversary while on d way to d judge . My 5cents.
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by deflover(m): 12:07pm On Feb 08, 2017
9jakohai:

Our concern should not be about tribe, but whether the new CJN can do the job.

Leave tribalism for the dustbin

Same mumu talk that put all d security heads in the hands of northerners
Keep the mumu flag flying
So southerners can't do it better
In order to sound witty
You are sounding lame

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by seguno2: 12:08pm On Feb 08, 2017
Reptyle:
Do you seriously think that the Acting President will take this kind of major decision without clearing with the President and getting his approval first?

This is a routine decision based on existing seniority rules and the man was acting CJ already.
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by Nobody: 12:10pm On Feb 08, 2017
deflover:

Same mumu talk that put all d security heads in the hands of northerners
Keep the mumu flag flying
So southerners can't do it better
In order to sound witty
You are sounding lame

Considering the fact that I was originally responding to a comment that was deregatory towards people from the South East, I find your comment somewhat out of point.

And even then, we should be concerned about how well political appointees do their job, and not their tribes.And in this case, the CJN appointment was always going to come from the South.
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by cktheluckyman: 12:14pm On Feb 08, 2017
Max24:

Then u will stay in one place for a long time. You heard what KANU Orji said. You better play the politics right instead of who offended u yesterday but need still. Even Jesus said agree quickly with ur adversary while on d way to d judge . My 5cents.

una neva see anything yet.You betrayed the SS/SE not long ago and now you want southern solidarity.Una neva see chumtin
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by Max24: 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2017
cktheluckyman:

una neva see anything yet.You betrayed the SS/SE not long ago and now you want southern solidarity.Una neva see chumtin
Don't worry. We are brothers. Let bye-gone be by-gone. Even OBJ is now on ur side for 2019.Christian solidarity nah. grin
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by tifany89(m): 12:25pm On Feb 08, 2017
Shewunoshewa:
Thank you sir!

Where are the yEasterners grin

They will forever be put to shame. grin
You see how foolish u are? Cowardice will not allow u call out those dat u r supposed to but am not surprised coz u r just staying true to type, it's who u are. Beats my imagination how any reasonable person with half a brain will leave dose dat refused to do the right thing and be shouting Igbos up n down like a broken record or was it Easterners that refused to forward the CJN name for confirmation? Am sure now u will agree with me u r myopic n should as a matter of urgency look for where n how to borrow sense
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by BlueMurder(m): 12:29pm On Feb 08, 2017
mesoprogress:

You and your ilk talk unintelligently, yet you accuse others of illiteracy. You claim to know what's happening more than 800 km away, yet you have never stepped beyond the boundaries of your enclave. Christians are subjugated in the North, really? Where did you pull that invidious statement from? I'm sure my Christian neighbours would be laughing at your online bigotry. Clap for yourself!

Let me even ask you a question: Eyo Ita (HOCS), Pastor Nguru Nguru (Min. of Niger Delta Affairs), Victor Ndoma Egba (Chairman, NDDC), Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas (CNS), and Onnoghen (Ag. CJN), are all from Cross River State. They are all Northern Fulani Muslims, right?
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by louqas: 2:06pm On Feb 08, 2017
Draei:
Had it been βuhari, a northerner
would have been picked...

He wouldn't have because he can't impose a northerner on the judiciary
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by louqas: 2:12pm On Feb 08, 2017
mesoprogress:

Ignorant thinking . Even if everybody in the north votes for a particular candidate and every southerners votes for a candidate, the northern candidate will win ........... in other words the south can't do it alone. Why do you think even PDP zoned their presidential candidate to the north. Wake up the northerner is not your enemy but partner in progress. If you think Yorubas regret voting PMB you are wrong. The only people who are now regretting NOT voting for PMB are the easterners
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by ffada(m): 3:54pm On Feb 08, 2017
mesoprogress:

Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by Reptyle(m): 4:11pm On Feb 08, 2017
seguno2:

This is a routine decision based on existing seniority rules and the man was acting CJ already.

I agree with you that it is a routine decision.

My post was targeted at those who have spun a conspiracy theory of ethnic bias around the delay in the CJN's confirmation.

They are trying to make it look like the Acting President took the decision to initiate the confirmation of the CJN in defiance of the absent President.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by Nobody: 4:48pm On Feb 08, 2017
louqas:

Ignorant thinking . Even if everybody in the north votes for a particular candidate and every southerners votes for a candidate, the northern candidate will win ........... in other words the south can't do it alone. Why do you think even PDP zoned their presidential candidate to the north. Wake up the northerner is not your enemy but partner in progress. If you think Yorubas regret voting PMB you are wrong. The only people who are now regretting NOT voting for PMB are the easterners

LOL!!!!!
grin grin grin
Re: Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN by Nobody: 4:55pm On Feb 08, 2017
9jakohai:

the president does not nominate...it is the National judicial comission that nominates the candidate ..they will now send the name to the president..the president will inturn recomend the nominated justice to the House of assembly for ratification and cross examination. then the president will now appoint..him..onoghen has been nominated by the NJC ....Buhari has refused to send his name to the senate for ratification......Get ur info right

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage / PDP Corners Nearly 4,000 Of The 5,000 Invitation Cards To Inauguration Ceremony / Photo Evidence Of How Low Our Army Has Sank Under Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.