Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,575 members, 7,801,648 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:23 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (139) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1975720 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 5:29pm On Nov 13, 2017
Hello Teecann,

Yes, I heard too that with this letter, you won't need to wait 2 years before taking the driving test but without it, you might be made to wait.

Some people say they didn't wait, they simply presented their driver's license and were allowed to take the test. I always prefer to be over prepared than to be under prepared, so, I'm trying to get it.

TEECANN:

Good day bro.

Can you please enlighten me on what you want to achieve with FRSC?

I'm curious because a friend in Canada told me that if I can get Letter of Good Conduct from FRSC before coming over to Canny, it may help me to get some elementary parts of Canadian drivers license process waived...

Kindly respond. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oloriTj: 5:37pm On Nov 13, 2017
good day

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 9:35pm On Nov 13, 2017
yimiton:
Hello Teecann,

Yes, I heard too that with this letter, you won't need to wait 2 years before taking the driving test but without it, you might be made to wait.

Some people say they didn't wait, they simply presented their driver's license and were allowed to take the test. I always prefer to be over prepared than to be under prepared, so, I'm trying to get it.

Here's how it works. It varies by province.

For example in Ontario, everyone takes the G1 test to get a G1 license. Now without the letter showing you have 2 years or more previous driving experience, you will need to wait 1 year before taking the G2 test. However if you have more than a years experience, you go straight to G2 test without any wait time. If experience is less than a year, you wait the number of months needed to make up a full year before moving to G2 test.
G2 test also has a 1 year wait time, so if you had less than a year driving experience, you will use the G2 for a full year before taking the G test. However, with experience greater than 1 but less than 2 years, you only hold G2 license for the months needed for your experience to make up two years.

For those with the letter showing greater than 2 years experience, after the G1 test, they go straight to take the G test (for the G license which is the full license) without any wait time. But failure to pass that test, takes you back to G2.

In Alberta, the full license is called Class 5 license. So everyone takes the knowledge test. With two years letter of experience you get an exemption from Class 5 GDL ( graduate driver's license) and take the test for a full license straight. However in the absence of the letter, you will hold the class 5 GDL for 2 full years before being able to take the advanced road test to get the full class 5 license.

I am not sure if any driving experience under two years will be deducted from the 2 years of holding class 5 GDL.

A number of other provinces have theirs similar to Alberta's.

26 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by zaragirl: 11:09pm On Nov 13, 2017
Good day Seniors,

I will be landing in Toronto by January. Can someone help out with the request letter format and email address of FRSC for the FRSC letter?

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ltee: 11:48pm On Nov 13, 2017
Hi guys please I need advise, a friend of mine wants to bring food in using my goods to follow list ? I am not ready to cargo my items yet. What do you suggest or advise I do.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amyames: 1:08am On Nov 14, 2017
Hello everyone.

1. Is there anyone who successfully opened a Canadian bank account before leaving Nigeria. Many banks advertise that you can, but when I attempt it, they say they don’t do that for Nigerians. Right now only Royal Bank (RBC) has agreed to open one, but it requires getting a lawyer to certify all my documents, and also mailing physical copies to them!
Is there any other bank that offers this service with less wahala, eg. sending scanned copies? I’ve tried Scotiabank, TD, HSBC, CIBC, with no luck.

2. Did anyone use bank draft as proof of funds when landing? Do you need to know the Canadian bank you’re paying into, or can they just make out the draft in your name?

Your suggestions are most welcome.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 8:06am On Nov 14, 2017
Feygbe:

Here's how it works. It varies by province.
In Alberta, the full license is called Class 5 license. So everyone takes the knowledge test. With two years letter of experience you get an exemption from Class 5 GDL ( graduate driver's license) and take the test for a full license straight. However in the absence of the letter, you will hold the class 5 GDL for 2 full years before being able to take the advanced road test to get the full class 5 license.

I am not sure if any driving experience under two years will be deducted from the 2 years of holding class 5 GDL.

A number of other provinces have theirs similar to Alberta's.
In Alberta you do not need the frsc letter. Same for Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Thus far I've only heard of thefrsc letter for people resident in Ontario. In Alberta you only need your current or expired drivers license. The issue date is enough to enable them calculate if you have up to 2yrs driving experience. That would waive the wait time and you can then opt to go for the advanced road test.

23 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 8:47am On Nov 14, 2017
vcole:

In Alberta you do not need the frsc letter. Same for Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Thus far I've only heard of thefrsc letter for people resident in Ontario. In Alberta you only need your current or expired drivers license. The issue date is enough to enable them calculate if you have up to 2yrs driving experience. That would waive the wait time and you can then opt to go for the advanced road test.

That's great! Thank you Vcole grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 10:08am On Nov 14, 2017
vcole:

In Manitoba, if you present a Nigerian license, you also have to present a Letter of Authenticity from the Nigerian Embassy in Ottawa stating that that license is authentic. Atleast as of 2015 I know of.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 10:53am On Nov 14, 2017
These days, all they need to verify the authenticity of one's license is just a click on FRSC's website.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by primeson1(m): 3:19pm On Nov 14, 2017
Please for someone that doesn't know how to drive, is it advisable to learn it here in nigeria or when landed in Canada.

Secondly, what's the difference btw these classes of licenses, does it mean the lower ones can't drive on some roads or what?

Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 3:59pm On Nov 14, 2017
primeson1:
Please for someone that doesn't know how to drive, is it advisable to learn it here in nigeria or when landed in Canada.

Secondly, what's the difference btw these classes of licenses, does it mean the lower ones can't drive on some roads or what?

Thanks.
To save cost, its adviceable you learn here in Naija and practice to perfection while at it. The cost of learning from scratch in Canada is relatively astronomical as compared to learning in Nigeria.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:40pm On Nov 14, 2017
primeson1:

Thanks.

To answer your second question, yes, the initial licences come with driving restrictions. You can not drive at all times of the day (night driving limited) and you can't drive on highways.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by primeson1(m): 9:39pm On Nov 14, 2017
Adiahabasi:
To save cost, its adviceable you learn here in Naija and practice to perfection while at it. The cost of learning from scratch in Canada is relatively astronomical as compared to learning in Nigeria.

Even if I learn in naija here and don't have a naija license, would that be wise.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 10:57pm On Nov 14, 2017
primeson1:

Even if I learn in naija here and don't have a naija license, would that be wise.
Cheapest driving lessons i have heard of in Calgary are circa $60/hr. In Nigeria you could probably get registered in driving school for N30-50k. So do the math. After learning then you can go for your frsc test and obtain your license. That's for those of us that took frsc tests back in the day when you'll be made to parallel park and drive through those drums they set as obstacles at awkward angles lol!
Anyway arriving Canada with a Nigerian drivers license would allow you drive for 90 days at first within that time you could read and practice for your road test and if you pass the basic class 5 test or its equivalent in other provinces then you become eligible for a class 5 gdl license which means you can drive but not between midnight and 5am and not with any level of alcohol in your system and not carry more passengers than the number of seat belts in your car.

18 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by primeson1(m): 12:02am On Nov 15, 2017
vcole:

Cheapest driving lessons i have heard of in Calgary are circa $60/hr. In Nigeria you could probably get registered in driving school for N30-50k. So do the math. After learning then you can go for your frsc test and obtain your license. That's for those of us that took frsc tests back in the day when you'll be made to parallel park and drive through those drums they set as obstacles at awkward angles lol!
Anyway arriving Canada with a Nigerian drivers license would allow you drive for 90 days at first within that time you could read and practice for your road test and if you pass the basic class 5 test or its equivalent in other provinces then you become eligible for a class 5 gdl license which means you can drive but not between midnight and 5am and not with any level of alcohol in your system and not carry more passengers than the number of seat belts in your car.

It's even like 20k.....i will try and learn even if I can't get a driver's license. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 7:32am On Nov 15, 2017
Does anyone know any good contact from the Nigerian high commission in Ottawa, I need help with passports urgently
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 8:01pm On Nov 15, 2017
This house seems dull!
@Salford and the rest the guys in Canada, kindly do the needful. We need pictures and more pictures to keep the dream alive...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ajujuju2: 8:24pm On Nov 15, 2017
Oya oooo!!!!!!!!!
Gather round, come follow me praise God.
Jehova unchanging...Awimayeun...Okwerenkwa me ya! Alagbada ina...Chineke ana-agbanweghi agbanwe! Chai his praise is all i have.

Express Entry Awareness Oct 2014
IELTS Sept 2015
ITA1 Jan 2017 (rejected for FBI PCC)
ITA2 Mar 2017
AOR June 16
MP Jul 11
NA2 Jul 25
FTD Aug 25
IP2/ADR Nov 8
PPR Nov 15

This journey has taken three years in planning and execution. In all Baba God was in charge.

@yokus @deeore @Mrsbee oya oo. Share your testimonies #TeamLondon
@onlineise, @mummyjaygirls @slowlybutsurely @merrymum ...i'm right behind you o!
Forgive me if i left anyone out.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 10:06pm On Nov 15, 2017
So happy for you ooo. Congratulations

Ajujuju2:
Oya oooo!!!!!!!!!
Jehova unchanging...Awimayeun...Okwerenkwa me ya! Alagbada ina...Chineke ana-agbanweghi agbanwe! Chai his praise is all i have.

IELTS Sept 2015
ITA2 Mar 2017
AOR June 16
MP Jul 11
NA2 Jul 25
FTD Aug 25
IP2/ADR Nov 8
PPR Nov 15

This journey has taken three years in planning and execution. In all Baba God was in charge.

@onlineise, @mummyjaygirls @slowlybutsurely @merrymum ...i'm right behind you o!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 11:04pm On Nov 15, 2017
Congratulations Ajujuju2!!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 11:11pm On Nov 15, 2017
Hi everyone. Biko I have a qwesion. We did our knowledge tests and passed, then submitted our licenses. Now we got a car off kijiji and before we can get a plate number and have the car registered, we need insurance. Been talking to a lot of third party insurance coys but they keep insisting on the fact that they need our Nigerian licenses, because what we have now is just the Class 7 (even though temporarily, still waiting to do road test for the Class 5).

Please how did you guys go about this? I'm in Calgary. Thanks a lot for your replies

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 1:21am On Nov 16, 2017
merrymum:
Hi everyone. Biko I have a qwesion. We did our knowledge tests and passed, then submitted our licenses. Now we got a car off kijiji and before we can get a plate number and have the car registered, we need insurance. Been talking to a lot of third party insurance coys but they keep insisting on the fact that they need our Nigerian licenses, because what we have now is just the Class 7 (even though temporarily, still waiting to do road test for the Class 5).

Please how did you guys go about this? I'm in Calgary. Thanks a lot for your replies
Hmmmm. PM me. I may have a solution for you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 7:23am On Nov 16, 2017
Wura27:

Hi guys,

I have Toronto as the city I'd be landing in my COPR but plans have changed and I'd now be landing in Calgary via Manitoba.

Please I need to know if I'm good and wont have any issues when I land

Yes you are good. You wont have any issues.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tbaby2015: 9:54am On Nov 16, 2017
yokus:
So happy for you ooo. Congratulations

... And urs came! Good to rejoice with others. Mine is coming as well

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 12:12pm On Nov 16, 2017
Ajujuju2:
Oya oooo!!!!!!!!!

IELTS Sept 2015
ITA2 Mar 2017
AOR June 16
MP Jul 11
NA2 Jul 25
FTD Aug 25
IP2/ADR Nov 8
PPR Nov 15

Aaaaawww. Been waiting for this news. Congrats sis. cool

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 2:21pm On Nov 16, 2017
Yes o. Amazing God. AMEN O.

Now i have to finally decide Calgary V Mississauga. Whew!
tbaby2015:

... And urs came! Good to rejoice with others. Mine is coming as well

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 3:02pm On Nov 16, 2017
Wura27:

Hi guys,

I have Toronto as the city I'd be landing in my COPR but plans have changed and I'd now be landing in Calgary via Manitoba.

Please I need to know if I'm good and wont have any issues when I land

If you received federal ITA there will be no issues at all. You're free to proceed to your desired Calgary.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by teeboy95: 3:59pm On Nov 16, 2017
Ajujuju2:
Oya oooo!!!!!!!!!

IELTS Sept 2015
ITA2 Mar 2017
AOR June 16
MP Jul 11
NA2 Jul 25
FTD Aug 25
IP2/ADR Nov 8
PPR Nov 15

Big congrats!! Am happy for you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 4:20pm On Nov 16, 2017
@Ajujuju2 Congratulations!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dfanz: 6:45pm On Nov 16, 2017
yokus:
Yes o. Amazing God. AMEN O.

Now i have to finally decide Calgary V Mississauga. Whew!

I am trying to make this same decision, Calgary vs GTA. Landed seniors please assist with pros and cons of both locations.

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.