Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (155) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979716 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:52am On Dec 11, 2017
Bawss1:

In the end, relocating is a personal project, one that should only be embarked upon after detailed research and planning. The challenges one may face, if any, are not a deterrent to those with the proper drive and knowledge.

I concur!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keni: 10:56am On Dec 11, 2017
CanadianEnginee:

Ok, how can 2 people who live in different continents remain married ? A financially comfortable dude living in the land of mosquitoes ( desperate girls) at that. My landlord and my boss have their wives in Europe while they are here (in Nigeria) philandering. Is that one marriage? Maternal said the truth undiluted. Is it now a crime to see the truth and shout it they way it is?

You might want to replace that bold with 'his opinion'.

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sleekchic(f): 1:45pm On Dec 11, 2017
Beube:

Right now am not doing bad at all in terms of finance and thats why i have money to make this journey. What am worried about is the future, if my job ends in naija today to get another may be tough, gratuity, pension ,exposure in my field, better pay package, skill sets, health, and the likes thats what drives me. But when i hear when u get down to canada u are not likely to get a job, then when you get a job i leart u are not likely to be able to save up to $600 then am like whats so rosy over there if u cant get more box. Then i hear 90% of ur income is spent on bills. Then am like what of the projects i intend to do. Its tough to leave a known world to an unknown world. I earn above 200k in naija o

Hello, this was my husband's fear till we had a proper talk recently. He used to be of the opinion that people abroad have no savings,but recently we had an eye opener. Honestly speaking what do we save for here in Naija? We save for rent, children's school fees,to buy a car, to buy land,to build houses etc so at the end of the day the so called savings is not for us. Meanwhile over there in developed countries rather than keeping money in your account and feeling rich intermittently, you use most of the money as-you-go,so they are paying mortgage -they already have the house, they have monthly car payments-they are already driving the cars, they pay student loans-they already have the degree etc so it all depends on your perspective, do you want the good things now and pay later? Or do you want to save save and save then enjoy those things later(of which not all money saved for a particular project is used for it)

PS: 200k will only make sense till u start having children. All the best.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Solphiequeen(f): 1:53pm On Dec 11, 2017
Hello everyone, Am a Canadian immigrant aspirant and my aim is to pursue my masters program over there, am a fresh graduate with less than a year working experience apart apart from the one year compulsory youth service. i am faced with some challenges but i believe that I'll get some answers on this thread.
As earlier mentioned I have the desire to pursue my masters program in Canada but finance is the major stumbling block, so my question is, Can I get a job over there while still in Nigeria? If yes, please how can I achieve this. Please help me out. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Negotiate: 1:53pm On Dec 11, 2017
Guys, forgive me for my odd way if thinking.
I was just wondering. Instead of renting an apartment with about 1,500 when im not yet sure of where I'll be living as a new entry, what do you think about getting an RV?

An RV can be purchased for about 6k which means I can resell after I get a job and finally settle in a desired city.

What are the laws regarding ownership of such?

Is this something a family can manage in? For the greater good?

Imagine if I use a $6000 RV for a year... I can finally sell it off at 4000. Meaning I have only used about 2000 as rent for the whole year.

Am I day dreaming or am I running mad?

18 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sleekchic(f): 1:53pm On Dec 11, 2017
Bsbabe:

Are you the one in the marriage or is that your prayer for them? How can you state something so negative so categorically?

People make sacrifices for their families, especially their children on a daily basis and it is simply the business of the couple who have decided this is the personal sacrifice they will put in for their children. You do not know the foundation of their marriage and have no clue what they are about so to state categorically that their marriage will inevitably dissolve or to wish them such ill is just wicked and nasty.

You're right,i have a friend she moved to Ontario when she was pregnant with her first son over 5 years ago. Her husband is a bank manager here and is not ready to make the move, they are going on very strong and she just had her second baby recently. Even though a long distance marriage is hard, it is absolutely doable and I pray God continues to give them the wisdom and strength to carry on.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by foreverkind1(m): 1:58pm On Dec 11, 2017
maternal:

200k is about 700 Canadian dollars per month. Small boys here would laugh at that. As for the success you'd have here, I am not God. Are you afraid to compete ? Or do you expect to become Prime Minister the following day once you land ? Federal election is in 2 years. Come quick and campaign. Stop listening to people and do your own research as well. And if you're going to listen to people, listen to the success ones who are on the grind. Don't listen to bad belle people who couldn't make it. Lastly, if someone is spending 90% of their salary on bills, they're living above their means. But all these bills you keep on talking about. I guess gen, fuel, water, school fees, food, phone credit, etc is free abi ?
Nice one bro, please I want to ask one question is banking and finance lucrative in Canada, like for someone going for msc in finance...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 1:59pm On Dec 11, 2017
Beube:
Please i want to ask a very funny question but i really desire to know the truth.
Is it worth coming to canada if u have a job in naija and earn average well
How easy is it to get a job in my field basic telecoms job,
How easy is it to settle.
Whats the best region to settle.
Will i get a better job path if i come.
Many questions on mind, because am almost giving up on this journey with the many stories of no jobs over there and u not been able to save anything from ur income. I heard u spend all ur salaries on bills. Please i want to know the crystal truth abeg

here is an answer someone posed to folks who have worries like yours.............

For those who still call me to tell me that after getting this copr that they are stuck with decision to leave the known to an unknown. .
I laugh. .cos they don't even realize that Nigeria is the unknown while Canada is the known..
Cos in Canada I know where I am going. .I project what I want to achieve in real time with God on my side...I know when my kids will graduate from school. .I know when I dial 911 what will happen....I know when my kids benefit support will come and when it will stop. . I know that if I put in 900hrs in any job and gets laid off I have employment insurance that will he paid on timely and regular basis to sustain me for one and half year until I find another job if i wish to. ..I know that my pregnant wife will go into labour and I don't need to think of which side of road I need to follow to avert traffic to get her to the clinic and I know that when she gets to the clinic she will he received by smiling humane doctors and nurses who are happy to do their job and welcome the little one into this beautiful world and not doctors and nurses who curse and swear while they manage to help the wife deliver with generator light. .and I know I don't need to pay a dime for my wife to deliver be it natural or via surgical. .I know too that life matters here and that even animals life matters too..I know also that I may not ever be Dangote in Canada but I know I don't need to struggle to live a life. ..I know that I don't need to get scared when my car skids of the road cos 3 ambulances. .4 police vehicles and 3 EMS will rush to rescue me alive in seconds. .I know when I file my tax I either get a refund or repayment and where my tax works for me..
That is known..

The unknown which we call known that is Nigerian where I don't know when my kids will graduate from school...I don't know what next will happen if I am laid off my job..I don't know what Maina did with my pension money..I don't know who will take care of the senior citizens when they can't access the fruit of their labour as pensioners. .I don't have a 911 to dial in case of emergency. ..I don't know who will rescue me in case of accident when everybody is out with his phone taking videos and pictures to be the first to post on Facebook of agonies and pains of accident victims until they are dead for lack of help. .I don't know what the govt thinks about us...I don't know when in my lifetime I will turn the light and expect light or when I will turn the tap and have any of my choice of hot or cold water without depending on borehole. .I don't know when I will also use only my passport with taking it to the pastor to fast and pray for 4 months to get common visa...when wil it be...I don't know...I don't know when the govt will start to pay child benefit support and senior citizens support...and I don't even know when I will know anything. .

My dear people. ..for me I can only chose where I was told "welcome home" with smiles and love over where I was asked "oga wetin you bring come back for us" with anger and frustration.
I decide to choose where I am made a host even though I am a guest over where I was a made a guest even though I am the host.

The unknown is Nigeria and the known for me is Canada.

134 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by miminice: 2:40pm On Dec 11, 2017
einsteino:

My dear people. ..for me I can only chose where I was told "welcome home" with smiles and love over where I was asked "oga wetin you bring come back for us" with anger and frustration.
I decide to choose where I am made a host even though I am a guest over where I was a made a guest even though I am the host.

You've said it all...... Lovely write up.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 3:12pm On Dec 11, 2017
maternal:

No sane person who's doing well in their country would even consider migrating. The fact you're thinking about migrating says a lot. Why not tell us what's disturbing you about naija then we can go from there. Help me help you.
Not true for everyone. My spouse and I were in the "doing well" group back home. Migrating to Canada was not triggered by a need for better financial prosperity but for other reasons. There is more to living in a country than the Jobs or funds you make. I have kids, growing up in this present day Nigeria for them is a risk in my opinion. Violence is allowed to thrive, the values being perpetrated right now back home are not exactly great. Then let's talk about the "over religiosity" and yet lack of love and kindness that is rampant back home. For us, it was mostly to be able to live in a place where our kids would grow up and not feel comfortable walking past someone who fell on the road and needs a helping hand to lift them up. Yes, they could have been taught that everywhere but it is harder to do that in present day Nigeria. Even our generation grew up in a better naija than this. Also, let's talk about education........Nigeria is still waaaaayyyyyy backwards as regards advancing educational opportunities that are relevant in the future. I have an interest in Academia and that would practically die if I remained back home. Let's talk about health care which happens to be my field. Yes, I could be in Nigeria and make a ton of money but my career would be pretty much dead in the water having more patients who die than those who live. No matter how hard I tried within 7yrs of practice back home I could never develop the selective amnesia needed to practice in Nigeria. Then let's talk about gender issues. I have a son and a daughter. I refuse to raise my son in a society that makes him regard women less than they should. Yes, he could be raised sane in Naija but it'll require more effort and I'll much rather put in that effort and let the society I live in help strengthen it. My daughter........Canada is currently the best country in the world to live as a woman and I'll much rather live here and have my daughter raised here than in Nigeria.
People migrate for so many other reasons and not always because they are not "doing well"
No matter how much doing well you are doing back home you'll still have and maintain a generator, provide your own water, drive on pothole ridden roads, provide your own security, keep yourself and family indoors during elections, run away to another country for medical care if you are diagnosed with cancer, pray that you are not involved in a ghastly accident on the expressway or even within the city because emergency care services may never get to you in time and no matter how much "doing well" you are doing your life expectancy will remain in the 50s and the list is endless and personally I don't believe in "praying for every damn thing" . But these kind of issues don't bother everyone.

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 3:49pm On Dec 11, 2017
vcole:

There is more to living in a country than the Jobs or funds you make. I have kids, growing up in this present day Nigeria for them is a risk in my opinion.

Then let's talk about the "over religiosity" and yet lack of love and kindness that is rampant back home. ....

and personally I don't believe in "praying for every damn thing" . But these kind of issues don't bother everyone.

I should frame these and hang on my wall. This is the summary of my PR hustle and the latter is the greatest of all.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 11, 2017
vcole:

Not true for everyone. My spouse and I were in the "doing well" group back home. Migrating to Canada was not triggered by a need for better financial prosperity but for other reasons. There is more to living in a country than the Jobs or funds you make. I have kids, growing up in this present day Nigeria for them is a risk in my opinion. Violence is allowed to thrive, the values being perpetrated right now back home are not exactly great. Then let's talk about the "over religiosity" and yet lack of love and kindness that is rampant back home. For us, it was mostly to be able to live in a place where our kids would grow up and not feel comfortable walking past someone who fell on the road and needs a helping hand to lift them up. Yes, they could have been taught that everywhere but it is harder to do that in present day Nigeria. Even our generation grew up in a better naija than this. Also, let's talk about education........Nigeria is still waaaaayyyyyy backwards as regards advancing educational opportunities that are relevant in the future. I have an interest in Academia and that would practically die if I remained back home. Let's talk about health care which happens to be my field. Yes, I could be in Nigeria and make a ton of money but my career would be pretty much dead in the water having more patients who die than those who live. No matter how hard I tried within 7yrs of practice back home I could never develop the selective amnesia needed to practice in Nigeria. Then let's talk about gender issues. I have a son and a daughter. I refuse to raise my son in a society that makes him regard women less than they should. Yes, he could be raised sane in Naija but it'll require more effort and I'll much rather put in that effort and let the society I live in help strengthen it. My daughter........Canada is currently the best country in the world to live as a woman and I'll much rather live here and have my daughter raised here than in Nigeria.
People migrate for so many other reasons and not always because they are not "doing well"
No matter how much doing well you are doing back home you'll still have and maintain a generator, provide your own water, drive on pothole ridden roads, provide your own security, keep yourself and family indoors during elections, run away to another country for medical care if you are diagnosed with cancer, pray that you are not involved in a ghastly accident on the expressway or even within the city because emergency care services may never get to you in time and no matter how much "doing well" you are doing your life expectancy will remain in the 50s and the list is endless and personally I don't believe in "praying for every damn thing" . But these kind of issues don't bother everyone.

Thank you sis. I truly wonder why everyone thinks Canada is only for the Nigerian ne’er do wells

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 3:59pm On Dec 11, 2017
Bsbabe:

Thank you sis. I truly wonder why everyone thinks Canada is only for the Nigerian ne’er do wells

Interestingly, Canada is mostly for the ones who are successful back home but feel they deserve better.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 4:17pm On Dec 11, 2017
Very well said Vcole...

vcole:

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gracelevel: 4:32pm On Dec 11, 2017
[quote author=CanadianEnginee post=63168184]
����
Bro, please.

Lool...please wanted to honestly know if that salary is much or small?

Do take your time to read about benefits of immigrating to Canada. You can visit quota to get ...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gracelevel: 4:40pm On Dec 11, 2017
[quote author=maternal post=63171571]

200k is about 700 Canadian dollars per month. Small boys here would laugh at that. As for the success you'd have here, I am not God. Are you afraid to compete ? Or do you expect to become Prime Minister the following day once you land ? Federal election is in 2 years. Come quick and campaign. Stop listening to people and do your own research as well. And if you're going to listen to people, listen to the success ones who are on the grind. Don't listen to bad belle people who couldn't make it. Lastly, if someone is spending 90% of their salary on bills, they're living above their means. But all these bills you keep on talking about[b]. I guess gen, fuel, water, school fees, food, phone credit, etc is free abi ?[/[/b]
Mr/Mrs Maternal you will not kill me grin ; arrrr your punch lines na die
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:51pm On Dec 11, 2017
TEECANN:

Whenever I talk with friends on this Canny hustle, I always advice.. whenever you cross over to Canada, "Try to question your Nigerian Acquired Value systems...what makes you do what you have always known to be what to do? Is it right?, Is it fueled by fear of the unknown? or that wanton Blackman's egoistic gratifications? Why do we chase after so much material acquisitions and millions here? Will all these Nigerian Acquired Valuesystem be necessary where the system (Canny) is working and has your back in the event of a worse case scenario?

Take the opportunity of this relocation and a re-starting of life, to re-choose our life preferences, query what drives us--to amass the millions, wanting to oppress and show off or what? Rebuild your valuesystem in line with sane society best practices, volunteer your time in a cause you are passionate about, help people consciously (go out of your way to exhibit those fine behaviors and integrity known with most oyinbos, consciously do these to make them become part of you because from home, it is not naturally in our DNA to do these)...our kids will generally be on a good path civility-wise by virtue of that environment but we also have a duty to guide them properly with the good parts of our African traditional values (not everything from our society is bad, our culture is rich and imbibing it is beautiful! cheesy)

(WHEN you reevaluate your life drive and restructure it appropriately according to sanity of a developed society, one thing is certain, you will be calm, contented and fulfilled. Trust me, whenever you come visiting Nigeria in the next 5 years, you will look at colleagues that you left behind and be sad, not because you are richer than them (in fact they may even be monetarily richer than you), you will be sad because all you are seeing are old friends still chasing the "rat" in the same race, not having really realized the taste of contentment and a fulfilled life all the years you were away!

I even told some that if I decide to go to work on my bicycle in Naija, some that don't know me will say "Ehyah, poverty has really dealt this man a big blow, God will help him soon grin" Those that know me will say "He is so stingy to even himself, we know he can buy a jeep and look at him, he is using bicycle to the office" grin

But if I critically take look at my need in Canada and decide to go to my office some blocks away on my bicycle, I'm sure nobody will give a hoot, even if I am a manager there and the office tea girl is driving a Range Rover to the office everyday...that is valuesystem modifications! grin

God bless us all!

It will all end in praise IJN
Applause.....

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:08pm On Dec 11, 2017
sleekchic:

You're right,i have a friend she moved to Ontario when she was pregnant with her first son over 5 years ago. Her husband is a bank manager here and is not ready to make the move, they are going on very strong and she just had her second baby recently. Even though a long distance marriage is hard, it is absolutely doable and I pray God continues to give them the wisdom and strength to carry on.
It is completely doable.

If they break up because of long distance due to job or work, then they are not really meant to be together.
If you work in field Engineering, business development or other field roles, and your wife works say in finance or an in-town role...your marriage would be tested in Canada.

Canada is a small country (economically) when compared to other advanced countries; hence markets and jobs are widespread just as their cities and towns are spread out. It's not uncommon to see husbands living their wifes to work in another province...like the newfies (Newfoundlanders) all over Alberta).

Funny enough, Nigerian marriages that I see hitting the rocks are the ones where the husband and wife live in the same city or province. I have seen two of such already in a space of two years.

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:30pm On Dec 11, 2017
Negotiate:
I was just wondering. Instead of renting an apartment with about 1,500 when im not yet sure of where I'll be living as a new entry, what do you think about getting an RV?

An RV can be purchased for about 6k which means I can resell after I get a job and finally settle in a desired city.

Imagine if I use a $6000 RV for a year... I can finally sell it off at 4000. Meaning I have only used about 2000 as rent for the whole year.

RVs are what they are called. Recreational vehicles. The city or town council would not let you park your RV anywhere...lol.
Maybe you can get someone that would allow you to live on their drive way grin
Bro...ko le werk (it cannot work).... grin

There are RV parks or camp ground though. They are not free and usually out of town.

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sleekchic(f): 5:41pm On Dec 11, 2017
salford1:

It is completely doable.

If they break up because of long distance due to job or work, then they are not really meant to be together.
If you work in field Engineering, business development or other field roles, and your wife works say in finance or an in-town role...your marriage would be tested in Canada.

Canada is a small country (economically) when compared to other advanced countries; hence markets and jobs are widespread. It's not uncommon to see husbands living their wifes to work in another province...like the newfies (Newfoundlanders) all over Alberta).

Funny enough, Nigerian marriages that I see hitting the rocks are the ones where the husband and wife live in the same city or province. I have seen two of such already in a space of two years.

Exactly, that a couple lives together is not a guarantee that the marriage will last. Some even function better with some distance, as they say absence makes the heart fonder...

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by shygunXs(m): 5:46pm On Dec 11, 2017
Negotiate:

How secure is this RV? One day, you'd just go out and return to the location where you parked it and you would start wondering if that was the spot you left it. Its easy to tow away.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 6:00pm On Dec 11, 2017
salford1:

It is completely doable.

Canada is a small country (economically) when compared to other advanced countries; hence markets and jobs are widespread just as their cities and towns are spread out. It's not uncommon to see husbands living their wifes to work in another province...like the newfies (Newfoundlanders) all over Alberta).

Also it's not just about migration. I always ask some people who are firm believers in cleaving means clinging aka gum gum �� this question. If you and your spouse are together for 10yrs and then you get a job as the UN sec gen and your spouse is in a high management role or a lucrative business owner elsewhere. Would you turn down the sec gen position or would you expect your spouse to resign or close up their business to move around the world with you? Distance in any relationship isn't easy but for some people (read as military lol!) It is inevitable. I think the most important thing is for a couple to know and understand the uniqueness of their relationship and decide if distance is an option and if the timing for said to occur is right and most importantly what the long term plan is.
Anyone female or male who claims distance as the reason for infidelity know that in their heart of hearts they were already cheating or considering it and opportunity just simply presented itself.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Negotiate: 6:01pm On Dec 11, 2017
salford1:

RVs are what they are called. Recreational vehicles. The city or town council would not let you park your RV anywhere...lol.
Maybe you can get someone that would allow you to live on their drive way grin
Bro...ko le werk (it cannot work).... grin

There are RV parks or camp ground though. They are not free and usually out of town.

Lol... I was thinking there's someone I could settle to stay in his compound/lawn... Hopefully not so expensive to rent the space. Seriously, if it's just me, I'll do it.

Thanks for the heads up though. I'll keep brainstorming.

I have a couple friends in the USA who started out by buying a car immediately they landed, and living in their cars. They also paid premium for a gym and used he bathrooms to bathe and do all stuff.

Back seat of the cars were reclined to make a comfy bed space. We love adventures Sha... cheesy grin

They were able to drive from City to city until they nailed it.

cool

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Negotiate: 6:04pm On Dec 11, 2017
shygunXs:

How secure is this RV? One day, you'd just go out and return to the location where you parked it and you would start wondering if that was the spot you left it. Its easy to tow away.

Depends on where it's situated, I guess.

It's also pretty secue. Without unlocking it, you cannot hook t on to a carrier.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by barondmoni: 6:11pm On Dec 11, 2017
oohunt:
This thread is about Life in Canada for immigrants or Permanent Residents.

It is an avenue for people that have emigrated to Canada (with their families) to share their experiences to help future hopefuls.

Kindly share your personal experiences and comments on:

* When you landed at the airport?
* What are the immigration rules to follow?
* How do you carry all that cash with you? For example: a family of 5 will need $25,923.
* Which province did you settle in and why.
* Where you live and why you like it or don't like it? Tips on choosing the right neighborhood, mortgage plans, proximity to work etc.
* How easy was it to settle in, with your kids? How did you go about finding the right schools for them? What is their school system like for toddlers (age 5 and below)?
* Can a mother combine work and taking care of the kids with the husband being in Nigeria?
* What culture shock have you experienced?
* Tips on how to cloth and cope with the cold weather
* Are there Nigerian food/restaurants etc? Are they very expensive?
* Can one start a business (exportation, consultancy) in Canada?
* How much does your family survive on in a month?
* And any other ...

This thread is for Living In Canada. For any questions outside this to go:

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13:
(https://www.nairaland.com/3948393/canadian-student-visa-thread-part)

OR

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2:
(https://www.nairaland.com/3999848/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled) for the Permanent Residency process which is how most of us got here. 40manlappy has given a beautiful summary on how to get started and of everything you need to know on the first page. I hope to do something similar here soon.
Hello good day to you guys in the house please i want to ask do i need NDLED certificate if am going to Canada?..tnx awaiting your response
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:23pm On Dec 11, 2017
vcole:

Anyone female or male who claims distance as the reason for infidelity know that in their heart of hearts they were already cheating or considering it and opportunity just simply presented itself.

grin grin.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 7:28pm On Dec 11, 2017
vcole:

For quite some time now, I have been fiddling with the idea of writing a memoir on my reasons for relocating from Nigeria...I call it "MY 1001 REASONS TO JUMP THIS NIGERIAN SHIP"...these few lines of yours could easily serve as a forward for that memoir...I have met alot of extremely smart and intelligent people on Nairaland since I joined early 2008, you are added to that list today. Why: for only few people can summarise the million and one thoughts driving ones firm convictions and decision into a concised summary.

God bless you vcole. ..not even one word to add to the above quoted! grin

It will definitely end in praise!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 8:10pm On Dec 11, 2017
vcole:

Nice write up.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Plumpebony: 8:25pm On Dec 11, 2017
barondmoni:
Hello good day to you guys in the house please i want to ask do i need NDLED certificate if am going to Canada?..tnx awaiting your response

Do you mean NDLEA certificate? You don't need it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 11, 2017
einsteino:

here is an answer someone posed to folks who have worries like yours.............

For those who still call me to tell me that after getting this copr that they are stuck with decision to leave the known to an unknown. .
I laugh. .cos they don't even realize that Nigeria is the unknown while Canada is the known..
Cos in Canada I know where I am going. .I project what I want to achieve in real time with God on my side...I know when my kids will graduate from school. .I know when I dial 911 what will happen....I know when my kids benefit support will come and when it will stop. . I know that if I put in 900hrs in any job and gets laid off I have employment insurance that will he paid on timely and regular basis to sustain me for one and half year until I find another job if i wish to. ..I know that my pregnant wife will go into labour and I don't need to think of which side of road I need to follow to avert traffic to get her to the clinic and I know that when she gets to the clinic she will he received by smiling humane doctors and nurses who are happy to do their job and welcome the little one into this beautiful world and not doctors and nurses who curse and swear while they manage to help the wife deliver with generator light. .and I know I don't need to pay a dime for my wife to deliver be it natural or via surgical. .I know too that life matters here and that even animals life matters too..I know also that I may not ever be Dangote in Canada but I know I don't need to struggle to live a life. ..I know that I don't need to get scared when my car skids of the road cos 3 ambulances. .4 police vehicles and 3 EMS will rush to rescue me alive in seconds. .I know when I file my tax I either get a refund or repayment and where my tax works for me..
That is known..

The unknown which we call known that is Nigerian where I don't know when my kids will graduate from school...I don't know what next will happen if I am laid off my job..I don't know what Maina did with my pension money..I don't know who will take care of the senior citizens when they can't access the fruit of their labour as pensioners. .I don't have a 911 to dial in case of emergency. ..I don't know who will rescue me in case of accident when everybody is out with his phone taking videos and pictures to be the first to post on Facebook of agonies and pains of accident victims until they are dead for lack of help. .I don't know what the govt thinks about us...I don't know when in my lifetime I will turn the light and expect light or when I will turn the tap and have any of my choice of hot or cold water without depending on borehole. .I don't know when I will also use only my passport with taking it to the pastor to fast and pray for 4 months to get common visa...when wil it be...I don't know...I don't know when the govt will start to pay child benefit support and senior citizens support...and I don't even know when I will know anything. .

Nice post, but you're wrong by saying Nigeria is unknown. Infact, you have the freedom to control your life in Nigeria without committing anything to the govt

As a high earner in Nigeria, you have the option of sending your kids to the best schools here or abroad, the choice is yours

You can produce your own electricity if you don't want to depend on the govt for it, you can remove yourself entirely from paying PHCN bills with no questions asked, hence you can put on your light knowing there will be light all the time. Try alternative power or move to areas with good light supply e.g Osun, Jos, Abuja etc tongue

Also, you can chose to stay in service flats with 24/7 light supply and 24/7 security, you don't have to travel to Canada to achieve this, trust me if you can afford a service flat you can have this too. Or better still, take advantage of security gadgets like alarms and such, you can also get a gun licence or employ private security guards

In Nigeria, just get a sim, register and use your line to access any state or country in the world, no need for long stories, pay as you go, o'er second billing, cheap data

Your flat should have water running but if it doesn't, I personally will prefare supplying my own treated water via boreholes so that I can maintain the standard to my taste, if this is not your forte, make sure you rent a flat or house with running water or find out how you can get your house connected to the govt's own.

In Lagos, I assure you that emergency numbers are all working, I'm not too sure about other States but in Lagos, it works.

To avoid Maina eating your pension funds, you can subscribe to any reputable RSA of your choice and if you are into private business, you can try life assurance policy, these are privately owned not govt's so no Mainas here

For relaxation, you can plan summer trips or seasonal trips as you wish and I assure you, if you can prove that you are a genuine traveller, getting a visa wouldn't be an issue for you. Let them know you aren't deserting your country and you will definitely get visa without stress

To be sure your children will never experience strikes by lecturers, you can make use of the numerous private universities we have down here, 100% strike free

As for hospitals, try researching for good ones and get familiar with your doctors also take advantage of HMOs to get good deals for your medical insurance. It will save you a lot of money

Who will take care of senior citizens? Definitely children, relatives or even good Samaritans. It's hard to come across an elderly person without at least a helper but if such occurs, old people's homes are still available here. If you have the money, you can get a life long domestic staff to support and care for you in the comfort of your home

When next you arrive and someone askes you "Wetin you bring come?* smile and tell him nothing, if you need someone to welcome you with a smile, you can invite friends and family to pick you up at the Airport

The land is truly green and beautiful.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maygreaves(m): 9:21pm On Dec 11, 2017
Macjazzy:
Thank you,i am a girl though. look forward to seeing you around, all the best with exams!

Can't a lady be a Boss?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maygreaves(m): 9:38pm On Dec 11, 2017
CanadianEnginee:

Ok, how can 2 people who live in different continents remain married ? A financially comfortable dude living in the land of mosquitoes ( desperate girls) at that. My landlord and my boss have their wives in Europe while they are here (in Nigeria) philandering. Is that one marriage? Maternal said the truth undiluted. Is it now a crime to see the truth and shout it they way it is?

The Logic in this statement....because your Landlord and your boss do it then simply means every man or woman will, chai!!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 201
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.