Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (204) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979701 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Pharaoh001(f): 12:24pm On Jan 25, 2018
maternal:

Honestly I'm not in a position to answer this. I doubt Canada needs fashion designing. Isn't fashion subjective any way?

Can you shed more light,please?

Anyway, I just got a mail now from David Cohen concerning my Express Entry applications.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 1:28pm On Jan 25, 2018
maternal:

The home is clearly not happy if she has to come here to ask for advice. Canada is a proven product where a person's achievement is based on merits. Most of the times any way. Nigeria is a unproven product. Currently a failed state. If she has concerns about her kids future or lack of it in Nigeria, she needs to pick up and migrate if she can legally. Instead of walking around stroking her alpha males husband's ego who deep down is consumed by fear. If it's time to go to war and my captain starts showing fear and is not ready to die for the cause, do you think I'd follow his lead ? Any man who puts his fear ahead of doing what's best for the kids will not be leading my household. I just couldn't take him seriously.

Lmao. Round of applause!!! This na my kinda guy! Blunt as heck. Take it or leave it cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:38pm On Jan 25, 2018
Canadianfly:

Lmao. Round of applause!!! This na my kinda guy! Blunt as heck. Take it or leave it cheesy
Marriage is not about take it or leave it though.lol
If migrating would break up a marriage, or if she can't get the husband to reason with her, then they better stay in naija. No woman wants to live in a house with a fustrated or angry husband.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by laborel: 1:40pm On Jan 25, 2018
Still waiting for response to this pleaseeeee.

laborel:
Good day everyone, both landed and about to land and thanks for the reviews so far.
Please I need an advice as I prepare to relocate.

I have Professional Masters degree in Process Engineering, MPE and first degree was in Chemical Engineering. Then, my experience here in Nigeria is in Downstream/Terminal Operations, Maintenance and Projects and am also a PMP. But I intend to go into Process Engineering(Process Engineer) in Canada.

Please,how do I go about this and what do I need to do with respect to getting a job and career switching?
I will appreciate detail response from the seniors in the house.

Please help your brother.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:51pm On Jan 25, 2018
laborel:
Still waiting for response to this pleaseeeee.

You would have to contact the engineering regulatory body for the province you intend to migrate to. If you read some pages back, ehnie or dupsysho also posted several links and info on how to go about getting your license. It would be nice if you have some control experience to your process engineering background.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 2:08pm On Jan 25, 2018
salford1:

Marriage is not about take it or leave it though.lol
If migrating would break up a marriage, or if she can't get the husband to reason with her, then they better stay in naija. No woman wants to live in a house with a fustrated or angry husband.

Take it or leave it refers to Maternal's bluntness. One can either take it or leave it.

Also no woman wants to live in a house and be unhappy and frustrated with a very happy husband. I think we miss the point with this and turn into something that it isn't. The solution is simple, a good husband would put his wife and kids before his fear. That's the point Maternal is making. No need for sentiments and unfounded emotions. This is a life decision, he either says yes or no. And if na no, makes sure his kids are attending the likes of Regents School or equivalent in Nigeria.
We need to remove sentiments and be logical thinkers.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bolabae: 2:12pm On Jan 25, 2018
Good afternoon everyone, please i need your assistance seniors in the house
We got ADR yesterday on (a)Bank history for a year (b)provide details on the provenance of funds.
We have the bank history from the principals applicants account already but 80% of the fund was transferred from my account to his account without authorization letter because I got to know about the authorization letter from here after we submitted. Do I need to show my bank history too or just for the principals applicant alone. 
What do they expect for the second question. 
Please house assist me because we need to respond to the ADR as soon as possible. Thanks in anticipation
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tamm: 3:00pm On Jan 25, 2018
I disagree with the bolded, or perhaps, I don't understand what you were trying to say. I doubt that I'll find India poorer than Nigeria if I were to conduct a thorough research...maybe it's an assumption you reached based on the country's population.

In the scheme of things and the comity of nations generally, Nigeria cannot be compared to India in anyway. In fact, coming back to the purpose of the thread, can you compare the success of Indians in Canada to that of Nigerians? Do Nigerians qualify or receive as many Highly skilled immigrant visas (e.g Tier 2 for the UK and H1B for the US) as Indians? Is it in terms of their infrastructure and Nigeria's lack thereof? I'll like to understand the basis of your argument as I'm currently working on a life course research paper focused on India, Vietnam and Nigeria...and the findings seem to point in the direction that Nigeria is the 'poorest'.

I think Nigerians need to realise that we are not that great, even in Africa (have you seen the new international airport in Togo being constructed by the Chinese). Only when you admit to having a problem can you begin to proffer or accept suggestions for suitable solutions. If we continue to deceive ourselves that our intent on immigration is solely based on the future of our kids, and not on some deep rooted socioeconomic issues that we currently face or fear may become a problem in the near future, then we may not be planning for an all-round success on the migration journey! That's the difference with Indians; they admit that their country can do little to nothing to help them achieve their goals, and they go abroad to succeed, often moving into the middle class in these developed countries.

Moreover, if anyone who claims to be doing well financially in Nigeria was that concerned about the education of their kids, excellent private education is available in Nigeria (British International School, American international school if you can afford more than $20000 per annum, and so many others). Also, there are many well-to-do Nigerians resident in Nigeria, who send their kids to great private schools (boarding schools at both primary and secondary school level) all over the world.

Apologies for any typos, I was in a hurry!

TEECANN:

Don't mind Maternal... grin grin (Why I didn't grace his post with a reply!)

Some things can't just be disclosed in a public forum lest one is mistakened for a brag.

Hmmm, thank God for the journey thus far in Naija (I cant complain cheesy) and joyfully expectant of the future in Canny.

No doubt he is on point regarding giving the kids a better learning and growing environment (if the assumption behind his posts points in that direction) but to make a blanket assumption that people are generally not "doing well" at home, reason why they are on the thread, will be stretching the ignorance too far (come on, this is Nigeria o, not India! you no know the weight of my naija people na im dey make you yarn like that cheesy) I have met people from this thread one on one (I don't have to mention monikers) and I'm like what are these folks looking for again? grin grin

But like someone said, priorities for immigrating are so diverse and different for many people, you will be pleasantly shocked, seeking for better financial opportunities in the short term is the least of the reasons for embarking on the immi-journey in the first instance for many!

It will definitely end in praise IJN!

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:11pm On Jan 25, 2018
Canadianfly:

Take it or leave it refers to Maternal's bluntness. One can either take it or leave it.

Also no woman wants to live in a house and be unhappy and frustrated with a very happy husband. I think we miss the point with this and turn into something that it isn't. The solution is simple, a good husband would put his wife and kids before his fear. That's the point Maternal is making. No need for sentiments and unfounded emotions. This is a life decision, he either says yes or no. And if na no, makes sure his kids are attending the likes of Regents School or equivalent in Nigeria.
We need to remove sentiments and be logical thinkers.
The lady said the family is doing well by Nigerian standards, and his fears does not translate to him not putting his wife or kids first. There are several people like that in Nigeria.

In addition, the husband does not need to enroll the kids in the likes of regents school (a school established to cater for kids of british expatriates in Nigeria) to justify putting his wife and kids first.. There are families here with kids sent back to attend government funded boarding schools in Nigeria.

Just as happyt mentioned "There are peculiarities to each marriage and each person's situation as regards immigration".

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 3:18pm On Jan 25, 2018
Una don start with all these yeye arguments abi.

Whether you like it or not- you are leaving Nigeria for Canny because things are not alright with you in Naija.

If they were, you would stay back. It doesn't matter how much you earn, be it 3m/month or 3k/month, any problem is a problem and Nigeria's problems transcends your monthly take home pay.

So please leave maternal alone.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 3:28pm On Jan 25, 2018
salford1:

The lady said the family is doing well by Nigerian standards, and his fears does not translate to him not putting his wife or kids first. There are several people like that in Nigeria.

In addition, the husband does not need to enroll the kids in the likes of regents school (a school established to cater for kids of british expatriates in Nigeria) to justify putting his wife and kids first.. There are families here with kids sent back to attend government funded boarding schools in Nigeria.

Just as happyt mentioned "There are peculiarities to each marriage and each person's situation as regards immigration".

Let me ask this question, what does "doing well by Nigerian standards" mean?

"Doing well" is very relative. I remember a post some pages back where someone said he earns N300K a month and is doing well in Nigeria. He is a single man, probably lives in Ekiti or Awka. Hence he is "doing well". A man with 4 kids living in Abuja earning 300K has not even started earning his rent. So I ask again what is "doing well by Nigerian standards"? Because both scenarios I just gave live in Nigeria.

The point made earlier by Maternal is that "doing well" comes in different forms but Nigerians always equate it to money. From the poster's post, her dislike is the environment and children's schools. Hence my reference to Regents.
A man should be able to put his wife's concerns and children's future before his fears. Heck, work out something like going back and forth (since money is not a problem) to Canada and Nigeria when school's out. Once again it's all sentimental to me.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:49pm On Jan 25, 2018
Canadianfly:

Let me ask this question, what does "doing well by Nigerian standards" mean?

"Doing well" is very relative. I remember a post some pages back where someone said he earns N300K a month and is doing well in Nigeria. He is a single man, probably lives in Ekiti or Awka. Hence he is "doing well". A man with 4 kids living in Abuja earning 300K has not even started earning his rent. So I ask again what is "doing well by Nigerian standards"? Because both scenarios I just gave live in Nigeria.

The point made earlier by Maternal is that "doing well" comes in different forms but Nigerians always equate it to money. From the poster's post, her dislike is the environment and children's schools. Hence my reference to Regents.
A man should be able to put his wife's concerns and children's future before his fears. Heck, work out something like going back and forth (since money is not a problem) to Canada and Nigeria when school's out. Once again it's all sentimental to me.
The lady said the family is doing well by Nigerian standards. That is all that matters. Just as you mentioned yourself, doing well is relative to different people or family.

There are people who believe they are doing well and are not interested in leaving naija like the lady's husband. If migrating would make the husband unhappy, then the family might be better off staying back in Nigeria till the lady is able to convince her husband to migrate.

Simple as ABC.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rebarobyn: 4:27pm On Jan 25, 2018
Kayla10:

Abeg, rude is rude! No need trying to explain it away. One can easily say what they need to say without being outrightly condescending. It is utterly unnecessary for anyone to belittle others in their bid to give subjective counsel. But anyway like I said in my initial post, she is very nice!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for rudeness.

My point was that the person who the post was directed at is not complaining and probably sees it differently hence the "thank you". And if its not a big deal to her, no one should make it a big deal.

20 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 4:51pm On Jan 25, 2018
I think we should just let this argument die down as those speaking for and against have only commented based on their perception of the poster's situation. The poster didn't give full details/holistic view of the situation she's facing with her husband and I don't expect her to put up such here, hence, we cannot categorically say what the fear of the husband is. We all look same way but see differently. Let the poster seek God's wisdom in solving immigration issues with her hubby. Ultimately, irrespective of where we all are, HAPPINESS IS KEY!

Cheers!

Tamm:
I disagree with the bolded, or perhaps, I don't understand what you were trying to say. I doubt that I'll find India poorer than Nigeria if I were to conduct a thorough research...maybe it's an assumption you reached based on the country's population.

In the scheme of things and the comity of nations generally, Nigeria cannot be compared to India in anyway. In fact, coming back to the purpose of the thread, can you compare the success of Indians in Canada to that of Nigerians? Do Nigerians qualify or receive as many Highly skilled immigrant visas (e.g Tier 2 for the UK and H1B for the US) as Indians? Is it in terms of their infrastructure and Nigeria's lack thereof? I'll like to understand the basis of your argument as I'm currently working on a life course research paper focused on India, Vietnam and Nigeria...and the findings seem to point in the direction that Nigeria is the 'poorest'.

I think Nigerians need to realise that we are not that great, even in Africa (have you seen the new international airport in Togo being constructed by the Chinese). Only when you admit to having a problem can you begin to proffer or accept suggestions for suitable solutions. If we continue to deceive ourselves that our intent on immigration is solely based on the future of our kids, and not on some deep rooted socioeconomic issues that we currently face or fear may become a problem in the near future, then we may not be planning for an all-round success on the migration journey! That's the difference with Indians; they admit that their country can do little to nothing to help them achieve their goals, and they go abroad to succeed, often moving into the middle class in these developed countries.

Moreover, if anyone who claims to be doing well financially in Nigeria was that concerned about the education of their kids, excellent private education is available in Nigeria (British International School, American international school if you can afford more than $20000 per annum, and so many others). Also, there are many well-to-do Nigerians resident in Nigeria, who send their kids to great private schools (boarding schools at both primary and secondary school level) all over the world.

Apologies for any typos, I was in a hurry!

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Java47: 5:10pm On Jan 25, 2018
Java47:
Hello guys,

If you're in Toronto and have customer support or call centre experience, contact me privately. I can link you.
I'm not an agent, I only want to help and it's free.

Please you have to be in Toronto. I'm not the job giver, I'm only linking you up.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tee10: 5:11pm On Jan 25, 2018
It's ridiculous how a particular guy here make wide assumptions about people and there marriage

I know folks who are pushing this Canada thing just so they can have the best of both worlds in Nigerian and Canada, many of them are only trying to hedge there risk in case Nigeria falls apart

Folks should limit themselves to what they know and stop this over sabi attitude

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 5:12pm On Jan 25, 2018
damidamsel:
Good day all....

Please I'll like to find out, for those who travelled with more than 10kCAD, please how did you go about it. For those who didn't go with much cash, how did you move your funds please?.

Also please i have been reading about getting valuations fir jewelries. Does this include beads and costume jewelries or strictly gold. Does it include like wedding bands and earrings we have on please?

Sorry if i am asking questions that has been overflogged, if this be the case, Kindly direct me to the page(s) it is. Thanks

Changed USD into my Gtbank domiciliary account before i left. I travelled with USD$5k only because of the size of my family, honestly I don't even like travelling with that much money. On arrival, got my SIN next day, then proceeded to open bank accounts same day(I went with RBC). Requested a USD account as well as the CAD accounts, then I transferred from my Nigerian dom account to the USD account. Cash was credited into my account within 24hrs. When you consider the time difference it could be up to 48hrs if you miss the window to initiate the transfer in Nigerian time. I had to be careful to initiate the transfer before the GTbank closed their fx transactions for the day or it gets carried over to the next day and extends by a further day or so. And you can move between your CAD and USD accounts as easily as moving cash between your current and savings accounts in Nigeria.

30 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by primeson1(m): 5:18pm On Jan 25, 2018
Oh thanks for this, so how did you move the money from your GTB DOM to canny USD? Through internet banking or your GTworld app?

Is it possible to move money from GT dom to Canny CAD account?

A555:

Changed USD into my Gtbank domiciliary account before i left. I travelled with USD$5k only because of the size of my family, honestly I don't even like travelling with that much money. On arrival, got my SIN next day, then proceeded to open bank accounts same day(I went with RBC). Requested a USD account as well as the CAD accounts, then I transferred from my Nigerian dom account to the USD account. Cash was credited into my account within 24hrs. When you consider the time difference it could be up to 48hrs if you miss the window to initiate the transfer in Nigerian time. I had to be careful to initiate the transfer before the GTbank closed their fx transactions for the day or it gets carried over to the next day and extends by a further day or so. And you can move between your CAD and USD accounts as easily as moving cash between your current and savings accounts in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Drmedical: 5:26pm On Jan 25, 2018
G
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Drmedical: 5:29pm On Jan 25, 2018
Java47:

Please you have to be in Toronto. I'm not the job giver, I'm only linking you up.

Thanks
Is march 24 too far
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 6:24pm On Jan 25, 2018
primeson1:
Oh thanks for this, so how did you move the money from your GTB DOM to canny USD? Through internet banking or your GTworld app?

Is it possible to move money from GT dom to Canny CAD account?

I used the internet banking option. I'm not sure fx transfer function is available on the GTWorld app. I looked a while (without trying to hard), and just went to the internet banking portal because I had a clearer idea where to find the transfer option.

It is possible to move from a GT dom account to any other currency account in the world. I have done it with AUD in the past. So expect it will be the same with CAD. However, the transfer will be done on the basis of the exchange rate at the time the transaction is put through. There is probably no real advantage to watching the forex prices trying to save an extra few cents, but if you want to manage your USD to CAD conversions by yourself, for the extra few dollars from forex fluctuations, then best to go into a USD account.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tamm: 6:34pm On Jan 25, 2018
I wasn't speaking to the lady...my post was directed at the person who made a reference to India. Thanks.

DadR:
I think we should just let this argument die down as those speaking for and against have only commented based on their perception of the poster's situation. The poster didn't give full details/holistic view of the situation she's facing with her husband and I don't expect her to put up such here, hence, we cannot categorically say what the fear of the husband is. We all look same way but see differently. Let the poster seek God's wisdom in solving immigration issues with her hubby. Ultimately, irrespective of where we all are, HAPPINESS IS KEY!

Cheers!

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iyamefa: 6:35pm On Jan 25, 2018
dabexy:
Good day house,
I know this is the wrong thread for me to ask this but Pls I need your assistance about migrating into Canada from the US seeking asylum.

I will appreciate if I'm enlightened on how to go about it, what to look out for and it's disadvantages.

Kind regards fam.

What is the threat to your life in the U.S? Are you originally American or a Nigerian that went to the U.S with a tourist visa now looking to cross into Canada? If your way isn’t legit, I don’t know if anyone can help you here. As far as I know, we are all legally migrated or migrating to Canada. Thanks

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kayla10: 6:36pm On Jan 25, 2018
Rebarobyn:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for rudeness.

My point was that the person who the post was directed at is not complaining and probably sees it differently hence the "thank you". And if its not a big deal to her, no one should make it a big deal.

And where have I made it a "big deal"? I only made an observation seeing as I genuinely thought it was mighty gracious of her. Also, you are actually making my point because as you say she "sees it differently"; that was the exact crux of my original comment. So what are you on about again?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 6:38pm On Jan 25, 2018
Sorry, I may have quoted you but my comment wasn't specifically to you. It was just a general one to address the lingering argument.

Cheers

Tamm:
I wasn't speaking to the lady...my post was directed at the person who made a reference to India. Thanks.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kayla10: 6:50pm On Jan 25, 2018
salford1:

The lady said the family is doing well by Nigerian standards. That is all that matters. Just as you mentioned yourself, doing well is relative to different people or family.

There are people who believe they are doing well and are not interested in leaving naija like the lady's husband. If migrating would make the husband unhappy, then the family might be better off staying back in Nigeria till the lady is able to convince her husband to migrate.

Simple as ABC.

No Salford1, how can it be simple? No, it is a very hard something oh. Based on the counsel of our "inhouse marriage, rudeness and happiness barometer Commissioner" (insert major eyeroll emoji), she should kuku powerlift the husband, carry him on the head like gala and march him into Canada...mtchewwww!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eddycross(m): 6:53pm On Jan 25, 2018
Can you share the cost of transferring USD from GTB to Canada? Thanks

I've sent them mails a few times, haven't got a response.

A555:

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kayla10: 7:07pm On Jan 25, 2018
tee10:
It's ridiculous how a particular guy here make wide assumptions about people and there marriage

I know folks who are pushing this Canada thing just so they can have the best of both worlds in Nigerian and Canada, many of them are only trying to hedge there risk in case Nigeria falls apart

Folks should limit themselves to what they know and stop this over sabi attitude

Mucho Gracias! Why people think this type of behavior is tolerable is just beyond me. The mind totally boggles! Someone will just stay chomping at the bits, itching to be unnecessarily abrasive all in the name of "being blunt".

Anyway, na for online these blunt ones dey get plenty power. Internet Bruce Lee!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CAstruggle(m): 7:15pm On Jan 25, 2018
honey86:

These are too light. You need something thicker.

They are thicker than they look

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nwandy218: 7:36pm On Jan 25, 2018
What percentage of money transferred was bank charges? Did you also have to pay any transfer fees?
Is there any fixed charges or they are based on the amount being transferred? Thanks. Just trying to know how much it costs to move large sums of money from a gtb dom acct to a cad acct.
A555:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Abby2017: 7:44pm On Jan 25, 2018
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Kayla10:

Based on the counsel of our "inhouse marriage, rudeness and happiness barometer Commissioner" (insert major eyeroll emoji), she should kuku powerlift the husband, carry him on the head like gala and march him into Canada...mtchewwww!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.