Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,281 members, 7,807,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (227) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979659 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 12:57am On Feb 14, 2018
CanadianNurse:
Please any advice on what part time jobs to apply for as an undergraduate student in Winnipeg, I’ve been having problems getting a job in Winnipeg and condition don dey get critical ooo grin

Lol cheesy

Well try by registering with agencies. Try Pinnacle on Graham ave. they are usually quick in helping students from what I've seen, compared to other agencies. Don't just register with them and disappear, hound your rep by calling them every week and reminding them you are still out of work. They'll find you something.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 2:34am On Feb 14, 2018
greetings:

Hey you? I just sent a message o but

I saw somewhere that you can't access your email. Your number suddenly disappeared on whatsapp? Whatappen na? Anyways, glad you're settling down as I read here. Be safe!
Hi sis. Will email you my number from my regular email. Just send me a mail if you still have it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:48am On Feb 14, 2018
boldinc:
Hi. If you haven't found someone, I can share a number of someone I know with you.

HIi. Just saw this message. I got someone already. Thanks for reaching out
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 3:26pm On Feb 14, 2018
I have been so Curious about the Articling exepmtion too.

Claire40:
Phew..... 225 pages conquered!!!. Thanks to everyone for sharing and being helpful. Seniors in the house, I have some questions, please bear with me and help in answering them.

1. From my research, I gathered that foreign trained lawyers can apply for exemption from articling in Ontario. Please has any one successfully done this or know someone who has? The thought of paying for and writing NCA exams and then searching for article placements is freaking me out. The possibility of exemption is one of the reasons am drawn towards Ontario

2. Please is worth certifying as an environmental professional(EP) from Eco Canada. Will it give me an edge in applying for regulatory advisory roles in the oil and gas industry in Canada? I have over five years as an environmental lawyer and from the information I have from eco Canada's website, I'm eligible to become an EPt and after one year of Canadian experience become an EP. Please what certifications do people working as policy analysts in Canada typically have?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yomi007k(m): 4:45pm On Feb 14, 2018
vcole:
@fusion23 I must have missed your "relocation" to Edmonton. Congrats on the new gig.

Good day chief,
I have read some of ur posts on different threads n
U said something about going back to school as a doc because of the long n ardous process of earning thier lisence in Canada, I want to ask which cources have high prospects over there?

And is what about the option of working while schooling?

Naija hard, chief.

Tnx
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tollu: 5:31pm On Feb 14, 2018
DereI:

Wow.....

Hiya, I'd like to discuss some things with you. Already PM'd, hope you respond smiley
Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Claire40: 9:59pm On Feb 14, 2018
yokus:
I have been so Curious about the Articling exepmtion too.

are you already in Canada?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by greetings(f): 10:07pm On Feb 14, 2018
Nogen:

Hi sis. Will email you my number from my regular email. Just send me a mail if you still have it.

I don't dear, I'll be waiting for it.

Cheers!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 2:56am On Feb 15, 2018
vcole:
@czaratwork, hang in there. It takes a new immigrant on the average 5years to fully settle into Canada according to statistics. So it's easier said than done but you would be past this stage sooner than you think.

In my opinion, it is important to properly research job prospects in your intended field as well as jobs you may be able to get on arrival even if it is in a lower role or a "survival job" that you feel you would be comfortable doing to earn an income prior to arriving in Canada. It keeps you realistic and focussed by the time you get here.

For regulated professions, it is a realistic plan to be willing to settle for any job on arrival if you need an income quickly and then map out a route to obtaining your license if you so desire or map out a route towards an alternative career.

In my case, I already decided to go back to school prior to arrival to earn a qualification or two in an area that I have an interest in for the long term as well as one that would make me more employable. Obtaining my license is a long windy road that I would fit into the pipeline at some point along the way as it is not a top priority for me. I did job hunt for a few months and got a job working with special needs kids at a job fair but passed up on it for a govt sponsored employability skills training program. Most jobs readily accessible to foreign professionals with a health care background are nursing aides, dietary aides, care aides, community support workers, etc. I do not think I am well suited to those roles and did not want to get stuck in a job I didn't like for a while and so I enrolled in school and started this winter when my baby turned 6 months. So far, so good.

So if a survival job isn't something you feel you can handle, getting an additional qualification may be a good plan. Save up some funds for that purpose if you can. You could also consider applying for student loans from the government.

I find that Indian immigrants are a lot more realistic in their expectations as regards migration. They hit the ground ready to go and are willing to work at any job, get into school and work hard. It won't hurt for us to take a page outta their book.

For every success story of someone getting a job in their field soon after landing, there are several others slugging it out at Tim Hortons or Walmart. In the end, it will still turn out as a success story for both parties, just different timelines.

I think you people read posts here with preconcieved idea. i am going to repost my initial post here for emphasis. i just felt within me after i spoke with one of us who was not having it good with her job hunt but got relieved when i shared mine with her and another that chatted me that my story encouraged her that people dont get balanced report here and so when it is not happening for them, they feel left out. I network a lot. i attend ACCA, ORACLE and presently mentorship programmes and have been sharing my experiences here.

In one of the ACCA networking programme i attended, the members shared their experiences and from what i got, i am still on track. i met a Nigerian lady at the oracle event i attended last month and we talked about my job hunt and she was like that she is impressed that i came for the programme.

The embolded too got me. i have also shared here how someone here helped me get my first job in December so what is it about feeling that survival job is not good for me. I also shared how i met someone at Meadowvale town centre who confirmed what God said concerning me.

I am tired of this distorted response and my mail being bombarded with solutions to my preconcieved job hunt problems.

Until you people make this place conducive for sharing balanced report. People will read what we have here and think that jobs in Canada are just for asking. I am already being made to look like a victim when i know i am a victor.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 2:58am On Feb 15, 2018
Please i cant see where i posted here that i need help or advice.

i said here that we need balanced report. and i was going to share one of my experiences to open the ground for balanced report so that people will not feel left behind.

czaratwork:
Hello everyone.

I have noticed that we only share our success stories here and this doesn't give a true picture of situations. We make people yet to move to think that jobs are so waiting for them and those who are here and have not gotten something or managing some small jobs to feel God has forgotten them.

I remember someone shared her struggles and challenges in getting job last year here and we all came for her. Some said there must be something she is not doing right. My humble self though still in naija at that time told her it may be village people after her. This could have stopped others from sharing theirs.

Please let's be open to sharing and encouraging people who have challenges settling in.

What prompted this post is my phone conversation with someone going through her struggles. By the time i shared mine, she was relieved. Someone else chatted me that my story encouraged her.

Mine may not be that i got that big job but that i am able to still hold it together and appreciate God for thus far He has led me.

I will share one experience that i shared with them that lifted them when i come back from chirch. Right now service mode activated. It's also one of those Sundays that we sit down to mingle and chop after service so i came with an empty stomach. There is an adage in my place that says "Open your eyes like fish". My eyes are wide open now. No dulling. shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 3:00am On Feb 15, 2018
me, i am out before they throw pity party on my head just because of a post.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 4:07am On Feb 15, 2018
Tennyson1151:
Renaud Dery
Canadian immigration lawyer
Dery & Associates
1455 Saint Mathieu Street
Suite #100
Montréal, Québec
Canada H3H 2M4
Tél: + 1 514 989-9700
Téléc: + 1 514 989-9290
http://canadim.com
Pls Is anyone familiar with the above law firm in Canada and has anyone passed through them in processing immigration to Canada/admission into Canadian school just want to confirm that they are not fake, before I do anything with them, please help a brother in need because they requesting for some money from me in order to process my papers. I await your kind response

Before nko won’t they ask for money? It’s not a charity organization na, lol
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Delta007(m): 4:29am On Feb 15, 2018
Madir:
How often in life you move from one house to another, from one city in another? We will move for the first time. 
Any Canadians here We are preparing to move to this country

How it is correct to make everything, a minimum of efforts and quickly?
If to use similar Atlantic Coast Movers services in moving, as far as it is favorable?
I am not quite sure I understand your question. Where are you moving from? Destination? What exactly do you need info on?

Just like anything, moving requires planning. Spending time to box up your personal effect and label the boxes will go a long way.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 4:34am On Feb 15, 2018
czaratwork:

I think you people read posts here with preconcieved idea. i am going to repost my initial post here for emphasis. i just felt within me after i spoke with one of us who was not having it good with her job hunt but got relieved when i shared mine with her and another that chatted me that my story encouraged her that people dont get balanced report here and so when it is not happening for them, they feel left out. I network a lot. i attend ACCA, ORACLE and presently mentorship programmes and have been sharing my experiences here.

In one of the ACCA networking programme i attended, the members shared their experiences and from what i got, i am still on track. i met a Nigerian lady at the oracle event i attended last month and we talked about my job hunt and she was like that she is impressed that i came for the programme.

The embolded too got me. i have also shared here how someone here helped me get my first job in December so what is it about feeling that survival job is not good for me. I also shared how i met someone at Meadowvale town centre who confirmed what God said concerning me.

I am tired of this distorted response and my mail being bombarded with solutions to my preconcieved job hunt problems.

Until you people make this place conducive for sharing balanced report. People will read what we have here and think that jobs in Canada are just for asking. I am already being made to look like a victim when i know i am a victor.

I don’t think @vcole’s post was directed at u. Na general advice

19 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 4:38am On Feb 15, 2018
Oga @blackbuddy @salford1 pls can I send u a mail?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:02am On Feb 15, 2018
MummyJaygirls:
sure you can.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:05am On Feb 15, 2018
it is well.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:35am On Feb 15, 2018
Can i just say that the issue of jobs doesn't always have to be the traditional way. I know someone earning hundreds of dollars a month from freelancing on fiverr and up work .

Do you have a skill you can sell? What knowledge do you have that you can package into an eBook or an online course? Times have changed...

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Omomabo: 11:04am On Feb 15, 2018
Please any response would be appreciated

Omomabo:
Please for those of us that are yet to land, can we apply for jobs that require background checks or must we be physically present in Canada. Please note I used a Canadian address on my CV.

Please una never answer any of the questions I don dey ask. I dey prostrate abeg your responses would be appreciated
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:06pm On Feb 15, 2018
Omomabo:
Please any response would be appreciated

Last time i did a background check on a job, i was required to get my signature verified at a post office. I think i also went with some photo ID docs.
I believe companies use different agencies. My spouse only had to fill her details online when she last did hers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 12:20pm On Feb 15, 2018
Please be aware that some fraudsters are sending out text messages and emails to people on anonymous e gift of various amount asking you to click on a link.

I got one on the 13th and clicked on it yesterday the link took me to a cloned interac screen with several banks to choose from. When i clicked on my bank, it took me to a screen where i was to dump my credentials. I noticed that while doing all that the url did not change.(they are not even as smart as Nigerian fraudsters).

I called interac to report and the first message i got was a warning about the incident.

If you receive such please call interac to confirm before they clean up your account. Guys are not smiling.

Abeg no counsel solicited. Just a warning.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 12:35pm On Feb 15, 2018
MummyJaygirls:

I don’t think @vcole’s post was directed at u. Na general advice

You mean you didn't see my moniker there with hang in there too? shocked shocked
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 12:53pm On Feb 15, 2018
So flight prices for our May short landing via Emirates is not beans. It's 3m+. Let me go and sleep.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 3:21pm On Feb 15, 2018
Blood of Habakkuk! How many people? Please use water from the fridge to bathe before you sleep.
rainazoe:
So flight prices for our May short landing via Emirates is not beans. It's 3m+. Let me go and sleep.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cuteguy201: 3:50pm On Feb 15, 2018
Lol
Ethiopia is there calling you, u no go...
rainazoe:

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Omomabo: 4:07pm On Feb 15, 2018
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

salford1:

Last time i did a background check on a job, i was required to get my signature verified at a post office. I think i also went with some photo ID docs.
I believe companies use different agencies. My spouse only had to fill her details online when she last did hers.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tjohnnay: 4:37pm On Feb 15, 2018
LagosToday11:
Contact 0 8126334446

Office Address: Suite 14, Foreshore Galleria, Foreshore Tower, 2a Osborne Road, Ikoyi, Lagos,Nigeria.

U, u juz register for nairaland today say make i contact you

Bloody scammer

Ogun kee u der

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 4:42pm On Feb 15, 2018
Canadianfly:

Lol cheesy

Well try by registering with agencies. Try Pinnacle on Graham ave. they are usually quick in helping students from what I've seen, compared to other agencies. Don't just register with them and disappear, hound your rep by calling them every week and reminding them you are still out of work. They'll find you something.
Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:29pm On Feb 15, 2018
MummyJaygirls:

Yes you can smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: JujuBlaqHosan(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.