Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,626 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:28 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979941 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Amaizu(m): 4:47pm On Jul 01, 2017
Aside the issue of French language, how does the Quebec province rate as a place to settle. Discovered that no one is talking about this area. Regards
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 4:51pm On Jul 01, 2017
Happy canada day ma'm. So if d only person u know from naija lives in Toronto u should still avoid it? I'd like to hear from others too. Thanks for your opinion though
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:57pm On Jul 01, 2017
pauloverdi:
Happy canada day ma'm. So if d only person u know from naija lives in Toronto u should still avoid it? I'd like to hear from others too. Thanks for your opinion though
From wiki. largest cities in Canada wrt population size.
In my opinion...the bigger the city is, then the more competition would exists in that city...if i was in your shoes, my priority would be:

1. Where i have friends or family.... (you can move later).

2. Where I can quickly get into a good career. E.g where are my jobs located. e.g would i be able to get an agric job easily in toronto over winnipeg, or if i was a nurse, would it be easier for me to get my license in Charlottetown over Vancouver?

I can't think of any other factors as all are similar everywhere... If you make good money, you wont worry much about tax, insurance, costs e.t.c

Calgary and Edmonton used to be exceptions on that list despite their population size, but since the oil downturn..things have changed. Hopefully the price of oil rebounds soon.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 6:45pm On Jul 01, 2017
Amaizu:
Aside the issue of French language, how does the Quebec province rate as a place to settle. Discovered that no one is talking about this area. Regards

That province has one of, if not the highest taxes in North America. Not to mention you don't want to deal with the constant french. Though they do speak a lot of English in Montreal for example. But there are a lot of Nigeria in Montreal.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amokemi(m): 7:48pm On Jul 01, 2017
Happy Canada Day to all Nigerians in Canada and Canada hopefuls still in Nigeria. As God lives, all our dreams shall come true in Jesus name. For us still in Nigeria, we shall be part of the next celebration in our dream land.

27 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kaysce(m): 1:58pm On Jul 03, 2017
Abeg Abeg help me, i need your help and advice- pls feel free

Please i need your advise... i am thinking of migrating to canada/australia currently, i am employed but salary (150k) is getting easily eroded by the increasing cost of living/surviving, hence very minimal savings. i have some years of marketing and Project Mgt experience and a uk MSc. Based on your various onground experiences, please what are the prospects for me abi make i just just chill jejely with this naija and push for the best: i need all possible ongroud realities to help make my decision:

1. Are there jobs for foreigners (that can sustain anyone and ofcos keep savings)?
2. What should be his BTA target (since i know nobody there to accommodate me for a while)?
3. Is it a good decision to make (leaving Nigeria for canada (without any work provision, relatives, bare minimal savings or accommodation availability?)
4. What kind of job should i be scouting for that can make things easier for me?
5. Which of the cities should i be directing his plans to?eg toronto, ontario, sask, new found labrador, news brunswick etc
6. Are uk degrees recognized in the labour market, or do I still have to do a degree upgrade in Business/marketing/sales
7. how long do you think it will take before I get a job in my line (do need to do a degree/upgrade); I hear of doing survival jobs till u get a job. I have a valid niaja drivers licence.
8. which provinces in Canada do you think I can get a job quickly and salary range.

@zandora, @maternal, @nobody, @shinarambo, @justwise, @jydo, @boss13, @olajide. in sort everybody, i really need your varying advise.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nikkycool(f): 2:58pm On Jul 03, 2017
Amaizu:
Please can anyone say something about Morden,I want to process there immigration and know if it's worth it.Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 5:26pm On Jul 03, 2017
kaysce:

Please i need your advise... i am thinking of migrating to canada/australia currently, i am employed but salary (150k) is getting easily eroded by the increasing cost of living/surviving, hence very minimal savings. i have some years of marketing and Project Mgt experience and a uk MSc. Based on your various onground experiences, please what are the prospects for me abi make i just just chill jejely with this naija and push for the best: i need all possible ongroud realities to help make my decision:

1. Are there jobs for foreigners (that can sustain anyone and ofcos keep savings)?
2. What should be his BTA target (since i know nobody there to accommodate me for a while)?
3. Is it a good decision to make (leaving Nigeria for canada (without any work provision, relatives, bare minimal savings or accommodation availability?)
4. What kind of job should i be scouting for that can make things easier for me?
5. Which of the cities should i be directing his plans to?eg toronto, ontario, sask, new found labrador, news brunswick etc
6. Are uk degrees recognized in the labour market, or do I still have to do a degree upgrade in Business/marketing/sales
7. how long do you think it will take before I get a job in my line (do need to do a degree/upgrade); I hear of doing survival jobs till u get a job. I have a valid niaja drivers licence.
8. which provinces in Canada do you think I can get a job quickly and salary range.

@zandora, @maternal, @nobody, @shinarambo, @justwise, @jydo, @boss13, @olajide. in sort everybody, i really need your varying advise.
The first question is too see if you qualify, with your msc you are likely to be qualified thou.

The rest of the questions will be your personal research , no one has a crystal ball, I was in your situation too with naija salary.
what motivated me to come to Canada was seeing IT jobs or 60-90K per year and some 60$ per hour on linkedin.

Had not even started processing then, the next is to research more if you have the skills for the job or at least can adapt, look at jobs and line and see the requirements and see if you match also packaging yourself and CV helps too.

The Last is being optimistic , people have opinions , when i came to some people were like go to college , Canadian experience , volunteer , bla bla bla ..but I got what i wanted. Generally if you are good you will get offers , good offers. Unfortunately I do not know more of marketing and project management but do your research if its ITIL or PMP. With God all things are possible , if you hardworking.

And if it is also Nigeria , you can even be more successful...

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 7:06pm On Jul 03, 2017
kaysce:

Canada is looking for immigrants, due to an aging population and negative birth rate. I'd apply as a skilled worker, which would give you permanent residence (PR) on the spot if approved. Your MSC from the UK should be recognized as a masters here in Canada as well, when you get it equivalent. You simply can't compare the two countries. Pack your load and come, don't even look back. Really what are you leaving ? But these are MY opinions and everyone should do a their own research.

1. There are jobs for everyone. You can get a survival job easily. One that allows you to pay your rent and chop some food. Getting the amazing private/government job is the issue.

2. All depends on you.

3. I'd rather make a mistake than have regrets not trying. My friend it's not that serious. You won't land here and become homeless the next day. You must even have X amount of dollars before being allowed to come here in your account any way.

4. Get/Take whatever you find at first.

5. Me PERSONALLY I'm coming to either Calgary or Edmonton. Still one of the best job markets in the country in my opinion. I see a lot of Africans striving here.

6. You should be able to get an equivalent. My cousin has a masters from the UK and has gotten jobs, and interviews for very good jobs.

7. That depends on you and God. You'd have to take a road test again with your naija license.

8. Nobody knows that but God.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 8:10pm On Jul 03, 2017
pauloverdi:
Hi guys. Have been hearing lots of advice about staying away from the big cities like Toronto and Vancouver because they're expensive to live in, but I'm thinking that the big fish are found in the ocean, not lakes and streams.. I'd like to hear from someone who immigrated for work and landed straight in any of the big cities. What was the transition like? Is it better to move to a small surburb first?

You have a good point , but it depends thou I ended up in the capital it is not so big.
If you are in IT or so and you are young may be the down is the high cost of living so u can land anywhere temporary and then your first job will make you move.

There are some crazy job offers in Toronto , but its competitive just like Naija the PWC, KPMG , employ more in the big cities.
Feel free to dream big , i remember seeing a graduate role in google and the pay was crazyyyy.

But later things like house rent and buying a house might be a disadvantage.
if buying a house in a small city is 400K in the big city it might go for like 600K ..so thats when u start to see the downside.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Loka0512: 12:59am On Jul 04, 2017
Hello guys,

Thanks for the great insights. I wanted to find out if I am to choose between winniepeg and saskatoon which would be the best, this is in terms of affordable housing, schooling for my 2 year old son and a job.
We are a family of three and also work as a procurement manager with an oil servicing firm.From past post on this thread, i have seen not much about saskatchewan. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 8:19am On Jul 04, 2017
I am not young and I have made up my mind to settle in Toronto.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 12:06pm On Jul 04, 2017
Hi @Fusion23

You touched on some cogent issues in my case with respect to settling down in Canada. My gf is on a PhD in Canny since 2015 and I just got my ITA in May and will be submitting this week. The initial plan was to enter Canada through school after she left. Had admission to Conestoga and was putting visa app together when ITA came so I deferred to Winter 2018 to focus on ITA instead. Hopefully it will be completed by January. So my question relates to your statement about people telling you that you must go to college, Canadian experience etc etc.Was having the discussion with her that if I get PR and the job prospects are good, do I still have to attend college? She says it's non-negotiable and I should go to school and work at the same time. I also happen to be into IT for about 8 years now, have a good number of multivendor network certifications and have good communication skills. From my research I've learnt that the hidden Canadian job market is where the jobs can be found and networking with people is a good way to tap into that market. I've established some contacts in Canada in the IT field with whom I keep in constant touch and who are willing to help out with job referrals when I land. So PR+college+work or PR+work? And also in terms of Degree equivalency do employers/recruiters request for your certificates or the WES equivalency. I had a 3rd Class in Electrical Engineering (I hated the course) so maybe the PG Cert in Canada is a good top up/make up for the degree Your thoughts will be highly appreciated.

Fusion23:

The first question is too see if you qualify, with your msc you are likely to be qualified thou.

The rest of the questions will be your personal research , no one has a crystal ball, I was in your situation too with naija salary.
what motivated me to come to Canada was seeing IT jobs or 60-90K per year and some 60$ per hour on linkedin.

Had not even started processing then, the next is to research more if you have the skills for the job or at least can adapt, look at jobs and line and see the requirements and see if you match also packaging yourself and CV helps too.

The Last is being optimistic , people have opinions , when i came to some people were like go to college , Canadian experience , volunteer , bla bla bla ..but I got what i wanted. Generally if you are good you will get offers , good offers. Unfortunately I do not know more of marketing and project management but do your research if its ITIL or PMP. With God all things are possible , if you hardworking.

And if it is also Nigeria , you can even be more successful...

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 12:15pm On Jul 04, 2017
Good day house. I am currently post AOR in the Canada immigration journey. I wish to also hear from you seniors who are already inland. I am a graduate biochemist with over five years experience as a brewer. I have a diploma in brewing certificate from the Institute of Brewing and distilling, a professional body based in UK, though I did the certification in Nigeria. What are the job prospects in the brewing industry and do I have to acquire any local certification to be able to land a good brewing job. I know Canada has a lot of craft breweries asides d mega breweries but how frequently do they hire and how good is their pay.

I am also considering jobs as a biochemist with Research institutes and labs as I have a strong CGPA from my BSc. How easy will it be to secure such job positions since my education is outside of Canada

I'm also coming with a family (a spouse and two kids). I'm like 80% bent on landing in Edmonton,Alta cos I have a friend there we can put up with for like a month tops until we r able to secure a decent accommodation of our own. I'm more concerned about securing a job because it will largely determine where we will eventually settle down. Like many of you have opined your kids adapted and settled in even easier than you expected.

I'd like to know what you guys think about my situation so as to know where I need to focus on when I land. My first priority in Canada is landing a good job.i believe I can do it I want to learn from your success stories. I wait and appreciate your responses

Cc: fusion23, blackbuddy, salford

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 2:16pm On Jul 04, 2017
Yooku:
Hi @Fusion23

You touched on some cogent issues in my case with respect to settling down in Canada. My gf is on a PhD in Canny since 2015 and I just got my ITA in May and will be submitting this week. The initial plan was to enter Canada through school after she left. Had admission to Conestoga and was putting visa app together when ITA came so I deferred to Winter 2018 to focus on ITA instead. Hopefully it will be completed by January. So my question relates to your statement about people telling you that you must go to college, Canadian experience etc etc.Was having the discussion with her that if I get PR and the job prospects are good, do I still have to attend college? She says it's non-negotiable and I should go to school and work at the same time. I also happen to be into IT for about 8 years now, have a good number of multivendor network certifications and have good communication skills. From my research I've learnt that the hidden Canadian job market is where the jobs can be found and networking with people is a good way to tap into that market. I've established some contacts in Canada in the IT field with whom I keep in constant touch and who are willing to help out with job referrals when I land. So PR+college+work or PR+work? And also in terms of Degree equivalency do employers/recruiters request for your certificates or the WES equivalency. I had a 3rd Class in Electrical Engineering (I hated the course) so maybe the PG Cert in Canada is a good top up/make up for the degree Your thoughts will be highly appreciated.

Nice, I also had offers to Concordia university in alberta and humber college, thank God I was patient .
Schooling is never the same as working you paying money and not earning also the job opportunities are not amazing.

Being optimistic and doing a good research plus good packaging and networking is the key , was talking to an older friend yesterday who went to work, yesterday even thou its public holiday , a contract job in IT he was like missing work is like 500$ per day.

So yes be optimistic but do u self research, its very easy . I got a job in less than one month and had over 6 phone calls as in contacts, thou some said know cos the position was really high all those Deloitte, Accenture looking for 10 years experience i still applied and gave it a shot...like withing three days got a call about an offer in Montreal but they did not go further cos of french

..summary lots of opportunities depending on your field.

Except graduate entry level job, your GP does not matter if you have work experience.

Except may be some specific jobs like google requiring P.HD or M.Sc , 90 percent of IT jobs just want any degree, people just do m.sc and co for immigration purposes. Your Experience is the key. And don't sell your self short

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 2:27pm On Jul 04, 2017
freeradical:
Good day house. I am currently post AOR in the Canada immigration journey. I wish to also hear from you seniors who are already inland. I am a graduate biochemist with over five years experience as a brewer. I have a diploma in brewing certificate from the Institute of Brewing and distilling, a professional body based in UK, though I did the certification in Nigeria. What are the job prospects in the brewing industry and do I have to acquire any local certification to be able to land a good brewing job. I know Canada has a lot of craft breweries asides d mega breweries but how frequently do they hire and how good is their pay.

I am also considering jobs as a biochemist with Research institutes and labs as I have a strong CGPA from my BSc. How easy will it be to secure such job positions since my education is outside of Canada

I'm also coming with a family (a spouse and two kids). I'm like 80% bent on landing in Edmonton,Alta cos I have a friend there we can put up with for like a month tops until we r able to secure a decent accommodation of our own. I'm more concerned about securing a job because it will largely determine where we will eventually settle down. Like many of you have opined your kids adapted and settled in even easier than you expected.

I'd like to know what you guys think about my situation so as to know where I need to focus on when I land. My first priority in Canada is landing a good job.i believe I can do it I want to learn from your success stories. I wait and appreciate your responses

Cc: fusion23, blackbuddy, salford

Congrats on your post AOR , there is nothing like self research or perhaps someone in the brewing or biochemistry industry giving you a better advice. Yes Securing a good job will make you enjoy Canada more as bills and quality life is a bit pricy.

One point i want to make is if you not so bent on a particular career u can do career change , if u are smart and can package yourself. So someone working in the bank for over 7 years as an operation staff and co , even here are bot well paid . packaged himself to become a business analyst with a better pay, and its not rocket science. Remember the first reference will be from Nigeria so once u can do the job a bit apply for it and don't sell yourself short. You should be fine.

However if your course requires regulation and professional bodies like Pharmacy, Law , Medicine and Engineering. then that's another case , i don't know much off.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 10:34pm On Jul 04, 2017
Fusion23:

You have a good point , but it depends thou I ended up in the capital it is not so big.
If you are in IT or so and you are young may be the down is the high cost of living so u can land anywhere temporary and then your first job will make you move.

There are some crazy job offers in Toronto , but its competitive just like Naija the PWC, KPMG , employ more in the big cities.
Feel free to dream big , i remember seeing a graduate role in google and the pay was crazyyyy.

But later things like house rent and buying a house might be a disadvantage.
if buying a house in a small city is 400K in the big city it might go for like 600K ..so thats when u start to see the downside.

Thanks for your responose bro... I've got over 7 yrs experience as a heavy duty equipment mechanic... and wifey is a banker... I'm wondering if I can start my licensing process while I'm in nigeria. Would like to hear from others in the same line of work over there. Would appreciate it if you guys could hook me up with anyone you know so I can get some first hand advice on how to adapt fast
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 11:40pm On Jul 04, 2017
Fusion23:

Congrats on your post AOR , there is nothing like self research or perhaps someone in the brewing or biochemistry industry giving you a better advice. Yes Securing a good job will make you enjoy Canada more as bills and quality life is a bit pricy.

One point i want to make is if you not so bent on a particular career u can do career change , if u are smart and can package yourself. So someone working in the bank for over 7 years as an operation staff and co , even here are bot well paid . packaged himself to become a business analyst with a better pay, and its not rocket science. Remember the first reference will be from Nigeria so once u can do the job a bit apply for it and don't sell yourself short. You should be fine.

However if your course requires regulation and professional bodies like Pharmacy, Law , Medicine and Engineering. then that's another case , i don't know much off.
Thanks bro. I really appreciate your advice.

(Considering my current outland status)When will u suggest is the best time to start submitting job application to prospective employers in my chosen industry? And how do I go about the job application?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 3:02am On Jul 05, 2017
Thanks Fusion23,
That was helpful!! God bless you ooh

Fusion23:

Nice, I also had offers to Concordia university in alberta and humber college, thank God I was patient .
Schooling is never the same as working you paying money and not earning also the job opportunities are not amazing.

Being optimistic and doing a good research plus good packaging and networking is the key , was talking to an older friend yesterday who went to work, yesterday even thou its public holiday , a contract job in IT he was like missing work is like 500$ per day.

So yes be optimistic but do u self research, its very easy . I got a job in less than one month and had over 6 phone calls as in contacts, thou some said know cos the position was really high all those Deloitte, Accenture looking for 10 years experience i still applied and gave it a shot...like withing three days got a call about an offer in Montreal but they did not go further cos of french

Except graduate entry level job, your GP does not matter if you have work experience.

Except may be some specific jobs like google requiring P.HD or M.Sc , 90 percent of IT jobs just want any degree, people just do m.sc and co for immigration purposes. Your Experience is the key. And don't sell your self short

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ltee: 2:19pm On Jul 05, 2017
Hello to my seniors and everyone on the group.

I am currently awaiting Copr and I need advise on landing especially getting a job.

I am a quantity surveyor usually known as construction estimator in Canada, about 8years work experience on various projects and PMP certified.

Please what are my chances of getting a job?
Where do you propose I can get good construction jobs?
I would also like to network with people in this field and perhaps join a whatsapp group for people landing.

Secondly, my wife is a dentist she also needs a mentor in her field too.

Thank you as you drop in you precious advise.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by studyexec: 5:57pm On Jul 05, 2017
ltee:
Hello to my seniors and everyone on the group.

I am currently awaiting Copr and I need advise on landing especially getting a job.

I am a quantity surveyor usually known as construction estimator in Canada, about 8years work experience on various projects and PMP certified.

Please what are my chances of getting a job?
Where do you propose I can get good construction jobs?
I would also like to network with people in this field and perhaps join a whatsapp group for people landing.

Secondly, my wife is a dentist she also needs a mentor in her field too.

Thank you as you drop in you precious advise.

Not sure where the jobs are but I understand there are jobs.
Consider joining Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (www.ciqs.org).
You can start an application now while still in Nigeria. They will assess you and determine which level you are on route to their professional certifications - this should come in handy in Canada. Your PMP is also very good for project management jobs.
Join job boards and make contacts on linkedin too. Its surely easier to get a job while in Canada.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Loka0512: 11:25pm On Jul 05, 2017
Please can anyone help with my enquiries ?

Hello guys,

Thanks for the great insights. I wanted to find out if I am to choose between winniepeg and saskatoon which would be the best, this is in terms of affordable housing, schooling for my 2 year old son and a job.
We are a family of three and also work as a procurement manager with an oil servicing firm.From past post on this thread, i have seen not much about saskatchewan. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ltee: 10:56am On Jul 06, 2017
studyexec:

Not sure where the jobs are but I understand there are jobs.
Consider joining Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (www.ciqs.org).
You can start an application now while still in Nigeria. They will assess you and determine which level you are on route to their professional certifications - this should come in handy in Canada. Your PMP is also very good for project management jobs.
Join job boards and make contacts on linkedin too. Its surely easier to get a job while in Canada.

Thank you for the advice.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dustydee: 11:19am On Jul 06, 2017
Fusion23:

Hi Fussion,
you mentioned some important points.
Can you please drop some networking and "packaging" tips here?
Five years ago I undersold myself and today I am still paying for it but that will change in a few months. It is very important not to undersell your skills but I didn't value the skills I acquired while I was in Nigeria.

I am in the Europe and not Canada.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 4:16pm On Jul 06, 2017
dustydee:

Hi Fussion,
you mentioned some important points.
Can you please drop some networking and "packaging" tips here?
Five years ago I undersold myself and today I am still paying for it but that will change in a few months. It is very important not to undersell your skills but I didn't value the skills I acquired while I was in Nigeria.

I am in the Europe and not Canada.

So a typical example if a job advertise for 7 years experience and you had like 3. So if you were too honest and you just put 3 even if you can do the job you might miss out because of competition. If you worked as NYSC or intern no need to specify even if its voluntary, the whole idea is you don't want to be 30 years with 2 years work experience when people are 25 with 5 years experience or put job role like Junior Software Developer and co.

Also you can take your time to negotiate better, however if you not having so much offers you might want to go for the job that comes and its decent.

Just boost your skills cos of competition. Networking is also LinkedIn or using some agency and getting as many interviews as possible.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dustydee: 4:22pm On Jul 06, 2017
Fusion23:

So a typical example if a job advertise for 7 years experience and you had like 3. So if you were too honest and you just put 3 even if you can do the job you might miss out because of competition. If you worked as NYSC or intern no need to specify even if its voluntary, the whole idea is you don't want to be 30 years with 2 years work experience when people are 25 with 5 years experience or put job role like Junior Software Developer and co.

Also you can take your time to negotiate better, however if you not having so much offers you might want to go for the job that comes and its decent.

Just boost your skills cos of competition. Networking is also LinkedIn or using some agency and getting as many interviews as possible.
Thank you.
I literally started again as a graduate even with a few years experience under my belt because I thought my experience was relevant and I wasn't confident in my abilities. My company has been using me at a grade or two above my actual grade. For example even as a graduate, I was being asked to do the job of a Principal Engineer. When I saw the rate they were charging the client for my services and compared it to what I was being paid I cry .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 4:38pm On Jul 06, 2017
dustydee:

Thank you.
I literally started again as a graduate even with a few years experience under my belt because I thought my experience was relevant and I wasn't confident in my abilities. My company has been using me at a grade or two above my actual grade. For example even as a graduate, I was being asked to do the job of a Principal Engineer. When I saw the rate they were charging the client for my services and compared it to what I was being paid I cry .

That is Normal to be honest, but do they do reviews and all for pay , and are you getting better offers ?.
Your situation happens well in Nigeria. If you have used over a year your next move could be the big pay or decent one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dustydee: 5:38pm On Jul 06, 2017
Fusion23:

That is Normal to be honest, but do they do reviews and all for pay , and are you getting better offers ?.
Your situation happens well in Nigeria. If you have used over a year your next move could be the big pay or decent one.
They do, or used to but once you are a staff there's the tendency that your pay rise will crawl especially when you are visa tied to the company.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 5:41pm On Jul 06, 2017
Any one used Ethiopian Airline? How is it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.