Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,013 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:54 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (292) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1975968 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Virt: 2:11pm On May 22, 2018
Coming with hubs.

rainazoe:
I feel you Virt. Are you coming alone or with hubs?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 22, 2018
1. Winnipeg isn't as crazy as portrayed considering that you won't be living outside in an open space.
Your apartment, Office etc sure has something to keep you warm , while you wear, protectice clothing too.
2. Right now, I don't think you can leave the province that nominated you before 2years.
quote author=bankylan post=67643878]Hello everyone.....are there people that live in [MANITOBA AND SASKACHEWAN] Winnipeg, Saskatoon or Regina here? Seems many live in Ontario and Alberta.

I want to ask if the weather in Winnipeg is really bad as being portrayed.......

Also, is there anyone who got provisional nominee and has left the province after a reasonable time. What is the implication of moving out of the province that nominated you after say 6 months or 1 year?[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 4:57pm On May 22, 2018
rainazoe:

Thanks my sister. It was easy for real and I have God to thank for that. You shall have a good journey.

Amen!!!! Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4712A6: 5:09pm On May 22, 2018
kachikapor:
Hi.

My husband sent to this particular email and the other one several times. Not one sinle response. Lucky for us... he knows a friend who works there and he was told he would have to pay 35k before he would get the letter. We have paid and have been informed we will get the letter on tuesday.

Wow. Unofficial extortion or bribery depending on the actors.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4712A6: 5:18pm On May 22, 2018
Just heard on a Nigerian station that the Canadian Immigration Minister is in Lagos talking about stemming the increase in US-Canada border crossing.

Also just saw this:

OTTAWA -- Nigeria has committed to helping reduce the flow of asylum seekers into Canada and has pledged to issue travel documents more quickly to its citizens who are in the process of being expelled from Canada as illegitimate refugee claimants, Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen said Friday.

Hussen travelled to the African nation this week as part of the Liberal government's efforts to stop asylum seekers from crossing into Canada from the United States between legal checkpoints.

The assurance over documentation was a key commitment made during meetings Hussen held with top government officials in Nigeria, the minister said in a briefing with reporters about the trip.

"I got assurances about co-operation between Canada and Nigeria on irregular migration, both in terms of helping us with the deterrence message to the Nigerian public, but also in getting travel documents, passports for people who are in the removals queue," Hussen said.

"Travel documents for Nigerian nationals who are set to be removed from Canada, but who lack travel documents."

Most of the people entering Canada from the U.S. between regular border crossings this spring have been from Nigeria, with the majority carrying valid U.S. travel visas.

One of the difficulties in dealing with the border crossers is obtaining proper documentation so they can be removed from Canada and returned to their country of origin once their asylum claims have been rejected, a process that can sometimes take years.

The goal of meetings with his direct counterpart in the Nigerian government, as well as that country's foreign affairs minister, diplomatic officials from the United States and civil society groups in Lagos and the Nigerian capital, Abuja, was to get the message across that Nigerians can't simply walk into Canada and expect to stay, said Hussen.

"There is misinformation being directed toward some Nigerian nationals and they are being told that going to Canada and crossing the border is a free ticket. So we're dispelling those myths," he said.

U.S. officials in Nigeria also provided details about how they have reduced the number of travel visas issued to Nigerians in recent months, the minister added.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/nigeria-to-issue-travel-documents-faster-to-expelled-border-crossers-hussen-1.3935607
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by fumzy(f): 10:26pm On May 22, 2018
XX01:

You didn't mention which province you will be landing. Let me use Ontario to respond.

1. He can resume anytime. Even towards the end of the school year.

2. Catholic public schools are free. Don't know if they will make it compulsory to show a baptismal card.

Thank you very much. Yes, we are heading to Ontario.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by enocoded4life(f): 11:00pm On May 22, 2018
Greetings to everyone! I have been a silent reader of this thread and I have gained a lot from all the information provided here.

I have a question for landed seniors who used Ethiopian Airlines. We are planning to land in Edmonton in July and have been searching for flights. I used the airline's mobile app to search and got a really good deal from Lagos to Toronto and then to Edmonton (through air Canada) .

My questions are:
1. Would we be required to pay extra for our checked-in luggages on the air Canada flight from Toronto to Edmonton?

2. Secondly how did y'all book your connecting flights from Toronto to your final destinations? Did you pay for your luggages?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by primeson1(m): 12:17am On May 23, 2018
enocoded4life:
Greetings to everyone! I have been a silent reader of this thread and I have gained a lot from all the information provided here.

I have a question for landed seniors who used Ethiopian Airlines. We are planning to land in Edmonton in July and have been searching for flights. I used the airline's mobile app to search and got a really good deal from Lagos to Toronto and then to Edmonton (through air Canada) .

My questions are:
1. Would we be required to pay extra for our checked-in luggages on the air Canada flight from Toronto to Edmonton?

2. Secondly how did y'all book your connecting flights from Toronto to your final destinations? Did you pay for your luggages?

1. You won't pay anything extra
2. You would have booked your connecting flight from Nigeria via Ethopia Airline (book - Lagos to Edmonton straight) When you arrived Toronto airport, look for air canada stand and check in your luggage (you would have collected your luggage as soon as you landed via Ethopian airline)

7 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by enocoded4life(f): 1:44am On May 23, 2018
primeson1:

1. You won't pay anything extra
2. You would have booked your connecting flight from Nigeria via Ethopia Airline (book - Lagos to Edmonton straight) When you arrived Toronto airport, look for air canada stand and check in your luggage (you would have collected your luggage as soon as you landed via Ethopian airline)

Thank you for the response, that's good to know.

1.Does this mean we won't clear our luggage with immigration /customs before checking in at air Canada stand?

2. We have about an hour and half between landing and boarding of the air Canada flight, would this time be enough to complete landing formalities without us missing our flight?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 4:03am On May 23, 2018
I just landed like few days ago but made a bank deposit. Can I get a statement to use?

AZeD1:

I believe a bank statement should suffice.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iyamefa: 4:22am On May 23, 2018
rainazoe:
I just landed like few days ago but made a bank deposit. Can I get a statement to use?

You can use your lease agreement/ rent receipt to prove residency. Since you have lived in Ontario for less than 3 months and applying now, your health card will get to you just as you clock 3 months old in the province.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 7:06am On May 23, 2018
rainazoe:

yes. The bank can get you one or any mail that they send to your postal address. If you have not decided to stay in Ontario, then you may wanna delay applying for a health card seeing as it would only kick in by d 3rd month.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cutezain(f): 3:29pm On May 23, 2018
Hello house,

I am a lawyer recently approved to come to move to Canada. I would be going with my sister, I have a few questions

Which province is preferable to settle in for work (me) and School (my sister)

Are there any lawyers in the house who could help me to get my license ( my thirst for law is insane)

We would need an accommodation, pls how do I find one b4 we land, are they expensive.

Thank you as u respond
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 4:52pm On May 23, 2018
cutezain:
Hello house,

I am a lawyer recently approved to come to move to Canada. I would be going with my sister, I have a few questions

Which province is preferable to settle in for work (me) and School (my sister)
This depends on a lot of factors

Are there any lawyers in the house who could help me to get my license ( my thirst for law is insane)

You would need to write your intending province exam and article for 10 months.

We would need an accommodation, pls how do I find one b4 we land, are they expensive.
Kijiji or AirBnB

Thank you as u respond

rainazoe:

Yes.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 9:37pm On May 23, 2018
Please an urgent question. Please do you need transit visa to travel to Nigeria and back to Canada if you are stopping over at Heathrow or Armsterdam?

Please response is needed for an urgent decision. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 10:16pm On May 23, 2018
simiolu1:

You see, programming is 40% of the code you write and 60% a myriad of other skills. You can know how to program without having those other skills. Very much possible.

Unlimited22, this small epistle is for you

If you can get your hands on any Introduction to Computer Science course by Harvard, Stanford or MIT, please do. The course will teach you basics that you will be glad you learned earlier. Secondly, try get your hands on Foundations of Programming by Lynda.com. Lynda.com is now part of LinkedIn so if you sign up for a premium account on LinkedIn, you'd get all Lynda.com courses for free as part of LinkedIn learning. Premium accounts have a 30day free trial period.

If you eventually go with the LinkedIn option since it is free, check out the Become a front-end developer learning track. It teaches HTML, CSS and JS. If I were you, I'd also check out the Improve your JS skills learning track followed by the Become a React Developer Track and then Improve your React skills track. These 3 learning tracks will improve your JS knowledge and you'd be exposed to the world of JS libraries, frameworks and Single Page Applications.

To learn Node, just take a look at the Become a full stack developer track. This track will expose you to the MEAN stack (MongoDB, Express, Angular and Node). But since you might be familiar with React if you took the React courses, you can swap out Angular for React thereby having the MERN stack.

In the end, you'd still need to learn about text editors, the command line, version control and testing. If you decide to learn a back-end language, you can't escape knowing about servers (VPS, Shared hosting, IaaS, PaaS), databases (design, implementation, etc), application architecture and a myriad of other things I can't remember right now.

This is not in any way to scare you, believe me, most people who want to learn programming don't know the number of things/technology they need to know about just to function as a programmer so they drop out when they realise how ignorant they still are despite spending 3 months learning HTML and CSS.

Lest I forget, Lynda.com beats Udemy hands down by miles and the only Udemy courses I have ever enjoyed are the ones by Maximilian (Academind is his YouTube channel).

All the best!!!!!

simiolu1,

I checked lynda.com and the pricing seems to be higher than those listed on Udemy.
On Udemy, there are always promotions going on.
As a result of the promo, a course on Udemy is about $14.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Gabzi28: 10:17pm On May 23, 2018
Hello house, I have followed this and other threads relating to Canada for some time now. Read thousand of pages.
I decided to ask you seniors who are already there. I have worked with FRSC for the past 10 years and have a B.sc in mass communication and have been giving serious thought to moving.
Please what are my options. You sincere and candid advice would be appreciated. I don't mind the hard, bitter truth. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 10:23pm On May 23, 2018
czaratwork:
Please an urgent question. Please do you need transit visa to travel to Nigeria and back to Canada if you are stopping over at Heathrow or Armsterdam?

Please provide more details.
How long are you intending to stop in Amsterdam?
Are you intending to leave the airport?
Which passport are you travelling with?
Are you a permanent resident of Canada?

It all depends on the answers to the questions above.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by damilola1978: 10:45pm On May 23, 2018
TheCongo2:

How long are you intending to stop in Amsterdam? 2-4hts
Are you intending to leave the airport? No
Which passport are you travelling with? Nigerian
Are you a permanent resident of Canada? Yes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 10:58pm On May 23, 2018
czaratwork:

It depends on if it's just one stop in those countries then an onward journey. Then you don't need. However if you're changing airports e.g YYZ to LHR then LGW to LOS, you'll need a visa. Same thing for the Schengen countries.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 10:59pm On May 23, 2018
[quote author=damilola1978 post=67822304][/quote]

With the above answers, you don't need a visa.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 11:06pm On May 23, 2018
bbaby84:

With the above answers, you don't need a visa.

Correct
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 12:09am On May 24, 2018
TheCongo2:

simiolu1,

I checked lynda.com and the pricing seems to be higher than those listed on Udemy.
Try YouTube.
Best place for free resource.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 12:23am On May 24, 2018
TheCongo2:

How long are you intending to stop in Amsterdam?
Are you intending to leave the airport?
Which passport are you travelling with?
Are you a permanent resident of Canada?

sorry just seeing.

Its for stopover abi na layover dem dey call am. I dont know if that will require changing airport though. Wetin i know self.

I am a PR and i am travelling with both my PR card and my Nigerian passport.

I learnt if i am passing through US, I will need their transit visa so i am asking for these other countries.

Thanks all for the response so far. Anticipating detailed response.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 12:25am On May 24, 2018
AZeD1:

Try YouTube.
Best place for free resource.

merci mon cher
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 1:02am On May 24, 2018
TheCongo2:

simiolu1,

What of cybrary? Are they good? I saw some couple of free courses there. Infact i registered for their free IT Security training but distractions no gree me start am.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 2:20am On May 24, 2018
enocoded4life:

Thank you for the response, that's good to know.

1.Does this mean we won't clear our luggage with immigration /customs before checking in at air Canada stand?

2. We have about an hour and half between landing and boarding of the air Canada flight, would this time be enough to complete landing formalities without us missing our flight?

Did you book from Lagos to Edmonton with Ethiopian Airlines or just Toronto.
are you coming on a weekday or weekends. 1 and half hour is tricky because of SIN and the crowd generally...but as a first timer if u miss ur flight the are likely to put you on the next one free.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 2:56am On May 24, 2018
czaratwork:

What of cybrary? Are they good? I saw some couple of free courses there. Infact i registered for their free IT Security training but distractions no gree me start am.
Cybrary is for IT security. Since its free, its a good start.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by enocoded4life(f): 5:44am On May 24, 2018
Fusion23:

Did you book from Lagos to Edmonton with Ethiopian Airlines or just Toronto.
are you coming on a weekday or weekends. 1 and half hour is tricky because of SIN and the crowd generally...but as a first timer if u miss ur flight the are likely to put you on the next one free.

Thank you for your response.

I booked Lagos to Edmonton with Ethiopian Airlines and would land on a Sunday.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by follyzee: 7:13am On May 24, 2018
It's depends

Did u buy a ticket to toronto eg Klm then you bought Air Canada yourself for your trip from Toronto to edmonton?
If yes then u'll have to pay 4 baggage at air canada

However if u bought ur Klm ticket to Edmonton even thou u will stop at toronto b4 proceeding to Edmonton via air Canada, then u won't pay 4 baggage

Then irrespective of which ever above, u will collect your bags at toronto go thru immigration checks and then return it to Air canada.

1 and half hrs may not be enough, it all depends on d queue n immigration officers attending to you n baggage checks.

However if u miss your flight u will be placed on another flight which sometimes may lead to a wait of 4hrs, it all depends

Hope this helps

enocoded4life:

My questions are:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by enocoded4life(f): 7:28am On May 24, 2018
follyzee:
It's depends

Did u buy a ticket to toronto eg Klm then you bought Air Canada yourself for your trip from Toronto to edmonton?
If yes then u'll have to pay 4 baggage at air canada

However if u bought ur Klm ticket to Edmonton even thou u will stop at toronto b4 proceeding to Edmonton via air Canada, then u won't pay 4 baggage

Then irrespective of which ever above, u will collect your bags at toronto go thru immigration checks and then return it to Air canada.

1 and half hrs may not be enough, it all depends on d queue n immigration officers attending to you n baggage checks.

However if u miss your flight u will be placed on another flight which sometimes may lead to a wait of 4hrs, it all depends

Hope this helps

Thank you for your response.
I booked with Ethiopian Airlines for Lagos to Edmonton. I have called them and they confirmed that I wouldn't be paying any extra charges for the air Canada flight.
We will be landing on a sunday, I can only hope that all the landing formalities won't go beyond an hour, but if it does we'll just wait for the next available flight.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:41am On May 24, 2018
cutezain:

Thank you as u respond

You'd have to apply to the NCA for evaluation (You are paying 450 CAD for this). They will ask for your LLB and BL transcripts, and a letter of good standing from your bar association, you may want to start getting these available before leaving Nigeria. After evaluation, you will be given a number of courses to write, You are paying for exams too. When you pass, you'd get a certificate of qualification from them which you will then take to the law society of the province you choose to settle in. Other steps / hurdles will be set by the law society.

Your journey starts here https://flsc.ca/national-committee-on-accreditation-nca/

12 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.