Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (332) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979661 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Abiodunne: 2:26am On Jul 20, 2018
Jhammz519:
Hello good morning, afternoon, evening.
Please I wanna know if questions asked at the airport are always though for students going to study if there any difficulties, cause I'm gonna be coming to canada next month and I wanna know the questions asked and if it's difficult, I wanna be well prepared before going grin cause I'm nervous

There are no worries as long as you know what you are coming to do in Canada. Make sure you keep your acceptance letter plus the letter of approval handy cause you will be asked to show them.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by babsquo: 9:06am On Jul 20, 2018
hi, please i need help i want to work and live in canada how do i start
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Wizard001: 9:41am On Jul 20, 2018
question1: please seniors in the house, is it possible to get a visa processing agent who isn't a fraudster?
2: the agent is family friend, so he promised that i shouldn't pay now, till all the documents are out, so i'll like to forward it here for seniors in the house to see, if it's not a fake document before paying.
3: is 3 million naira, going to be enough for me, to come into canada?
the agent said he has a friend there, so no need for accomodation and he promised get me a job.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 10:54am On Jul 20, 2018
Run away from anything to do with an "agent". There is no other legit way of coming to Canada other than via the EE route, PNP, as a student or via any other legitimate immigration program as defined by IRCC.

The EE process is very straightforward so long as you have all that it takes. You don't need an agent to do anything for you. Many have gotten into trouble because they left their fate in the hands of an agent. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Visit this thread to know more. Start from page zero. Do it yourself!

Wizard001:
question1: please seniors in the house, is it possible to get a visa processing agent who isn't a fraudster?
2: the agent is family friend, so he promised that i shouldn't pay now, till all the documents are out, so i'll like to forward it here for seniors in the house to see, if it's not a fake document before paying.
3: is 3 million naira, going to be enough for me, to come into canada?
the agent said he has a friend there, so no need for accomodation and he promised get me a job.

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jholarharde(f): 11:45am On Jul 20, 2018
dear landed seniors, pls I need your help with this contemplation. we are considering leaving our kids(2boys 5 and 3) behind with my mom, so we can integrate and hustle easily when we land. then come back for them once we've settled, and before their medical expires. pls what are your thoughts. it will be highly appreciated.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Stratnergy: 12:01pm On Jul 20, 2018
Good day house.

I have a question on compatibility of Nigerian phones with Canadian networks.

I attended a Planning for Canada event in Nigeria and was told that phones like Tecno and Infinix are not compatible with the network over there.

Is this in relation to double SIM phones or brand of phone? I'm using a Samsung double SIM phone and I don't want phone to be part of what I worry about when I get to Canada.

Your advice pls.

God bless

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by happytbaby: 12:23pm On Jul 20, 2018
Ethelia, Ethelia

Congratulations Dear.

Ethelia:

Okay, makes sense.

Actually the short landing is so we can have our Canadian baby by Gods Grace grin grin will stay for just a few months then return to prepare properly.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 1:21pm On Jul 20, 2018
Stratnergy:
Good day house.

I attended a Planning for Canada event in Nigeria and was told that phones like Tecno and Infinix are not compatible with the network over there.

Is this in relation to double SIM phones or brand of phone? I'm using a Samsung double SIM phone and I don't want phone to be part of what I worry about when I get to Canada.

Your advice pls.

God bless
There is a high chance that phones you bring from Nigeria will not work or work well on Canadian networks. Sometimes, same model phones across networks here are not compatible. This is due to manufacturers producing phones with different variants. e.g Bell will have an LG G3 and Telus also have an LG G3. But an unlocked LG G3 originally purchased from Telus might not work on Bell network and vice versa.

That's why it is always good to go with a sim card and make several calls, text and browse the internet when buying off kijiji.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ethelia(f): 1:52pm On Jul 20, 2018
happytbaby:
Ethelia, Ethelia

Congratulations Dear.

Thanks darling kiss
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by RahmaMohammed: 2:06pm On Jul 20, 2018

Your advice pls.

Depends on the compatibility of the phone with the service provider's network. I brought my dual sim Samsung note 5 with me to canada and I have used it on Virgin and fido. You can confirm the compatibility of your phone on a service provider's website too
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2018
babsquo:
hi, please i need help i want to work and live in canada how do i start

Hi, you can start from here where there's a wealth of tips, guidance and shared experiences, https://www.nairaland.com/4472519/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

You can also study the info here for the official direction and requirements on the immigration website, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:06pm On Jul 20, 2018
Toobie:
Good day my Elders

please am a first class graduate of electrical engineering rounding up my NYSC next year. Am thinking of coming to Canada through scholarship programs. what are my chances
Any useful info will be highly appreciated .Thanks in Anticipation

Hi, this is where you can get the right guidance and read shared experiences with students, https://www.nairaland.com/4390108/canadian-student-visa-thread-part
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:10pm On Jul 20, 2018
jholarharde:
dear landed seniors, pls I need your help with this contemplation. we are considering leaving our kids(2boys 5 and 3) behind with my mom, so we can integrate and hustle easily when we land. then come back for them once we've settled, and before their medical expires. pls what are your thoughts. it will be highly appreciated.

There's nothing wrong with your plan provided your kids land here before the expiration of the one-entry visa that's issued in your passports with COPR. Please take note of this date, all the best to you and your wife.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:39pm On Jul 20, 2018
jholarharde:

It's not that serious. Bring them and hustle/integrate with them. Millions of Canadians do it each year. Your kids will be the lease of your problems. Canada takes good care of her youths. They wouldn't get in your way of hustling, in fact they may make it easier with the benefits you'll get by having kids.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jholarharde(f): 4:41pm On Jul 20, 2018
Blackbuddy:

There's nothing wrong with your plan provided your kids land here before the expiration of the one-entry visa that's issued in your passports with COPR. Please take note of this date, all the best to you and your wife.

thanks a lot for your thought sir, it is highly appreciated.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jholarharde(f): 6:10pm On Jul 20, 2018
maternal:

It's not that serious. Bring them and hustle/integrate with them. Millions of Canadians do it each year. Your kids will be the lease of your problems. Canada takes good care of her youths. They wouldn't get in your way of hustling, in fact they may make it easier with the benefits you'll get by having kids.
thanks for your thought sir, I really appreciate it. God bless u

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ImperialCovfefe: 6:16pm On Jul 20, 2018
Hello @all,

If someone carries 10000 US dollars cash to Canada, would there be any issues in depositing the sum over the counter into a Canadian bank account?

Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 7:31pm On Jul 20, 2018
Stratnergy:
Good day house.

Your advice pls.

God bless

okay let me try to explain how to know before you arrive Canada or even any other country.

firstly, Dual sim isn't the cause. Phones have a piece of hardware called a radio, this is how they manage to transmit and receive signals from cell towers. The thing is radios are configured to support a couple of frequency bands, if a network isn't transmitting on one of those frequencies, your phone simply cant get any reception whether single or quad sim enabled. Every network has a couple of frequency it transmits on and every country/region has a characteristic frequency range that is in use.

What then led to the popular misconception of dual sim phone having a death sentence overseas? It is uncommon for people overseas to use such as they would have to pay double phone bills unlike us who pay as we use. Hence, dual sim phones were built with a specific market in mind, developing countries, and the typical frequency bands that are used in our region. However a few big global brands still make and sell dual sim enabled phones that support a wider range of frequencies.

Now enough of the story. here is how to know if your phone would work. first, check your phone for its model number(not just its generic model name) e.g generic model name of my phone is LG V20 but model number is LS997.

now that you have got that, there are two ways to know.

1) EASIEST WAY
head over to frequencycheck.com , fill in your phone model details and select Canada in the country list, click search, it will display the networks that your phone is compatible with and which of their bands it supports. Now, this site doesnt have all phone models in its database, so if you dont find your phone in its list, you would have to use method 2

2) NOT SO HARD WAY
head over to gsmarena.com

type your phone model name in its search box and hit enter. a page should display, select ypur model number at the top, thenn click network tab, this would display all the frequency your phone supports. note them

Now google the freqency of the canadian network you intend using ie query say "Rogers Canada frequency bands". check if what you saw for your phone on gsmarena matches with that of the network, if No, prepare to buy a new phone in Canada.

EXAMPLE TIME

like I said my phone model name is LG V20 and model number is LS997, model numbee is very important because not all model share the same hardware and software.

I headed to GSMarena to check the frequency band my phone supports. They are

NETWORK............Technology
2G bands..............GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands...............HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 & CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
4G bands............... LTE band 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700), 25(1900), 26(850), 41(2500)

I googled the frequency Rogers Canada operates on, here:

Frequencies used on the Rogers Network
NETWORK Technology
2G bands........... GSM 850, 1900 MHz
3G bands............HSDPA 850, 1900 MHz
4G bands............LTE band 4(1700/2100)

Conclusion: my phone would work just fine with Rogers because it supports frequency 850, 1900 for 2G&3G and 1700, 2100 for 4G. These are actually the most commonly used frequencies by Canadian mobile network, so you should be fine in Canada if your phone support these frequencies.

It is possible for your phone to seem to support a network, only to land in Canada and discover that in practice it doesnt. there are a couple of reasons for this. if your phone isnt a generic model ie its a carrier phone e.g a galaxy s7 bought from Tmobile, AT&T, Sprint etc your hardware may support a frequency but your carrier may have disabled it in your phone's software, under agreement with your phone's manufacturer. this is different from mere network locking that could be sorted easily at Compu Village. Most times you would need an MSL from your carrier and even if they oblige you, not everyone knows how to write that to a phone's NAND.

So I would say if you find your phone listed on Gsmarena and your phone is a carrier branded phone, it isnt foolproof that it would work in canada. There are ways to know what bands have been disabled by ones carrier but ehm lets keep this simple and eh brief.
if you bought your phone brand new in Nigeria, then this carrier wahala shouldnt bother you.

75 Likes 35 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bella002: 7:44pm On Jul 20, 2018
please @Iyamefa I sent u a PM.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 10:56pm On Jul 20, 2018
einsteino:

okay let me try to explain how to know before you arrive Canada or even any other country.

firstly, Dual sim isnt the cause. Phones have a piece of hardware called a radio, this is how they manage to transmit and receive signals from cell towers. The thing is radios are configured to support a couple of frequency bands, if a network isnt transmitting on one of those frequencies, your phone simply cant get any reception wether single or quadro sim enabled. Evwry network has a couple of frequency it transmits on and every rcountry/region has a characteristic frequency range that is in use.

What led to the popular misconception of dual sim phone having a death sentence overseas? It is uncommon for people overseas to use such as they would have to pay double phone bills unlike us who pay as we use. Hence, dual sim phones were built with a specific market in mind, developing countries, and the typical frequency bands that are used in our region. However a few big global brands still make and sell dual sim enabled phones that support a wider range of frequencies.

Now enough of the story. here is how to know if your phone would work. first, check your phone for its model number(not just its generic model name) e.g generic model name of my phone is LG V20 but model number is LS997.

now that you have got that, there are two ways to know.

1) EASIEST WAY
head over to frequencycheck.com , fill in your phone model details and select Canada in the country list, click search, it will display the networks that your phone is compatible with and which of their bands it supports. Now, this site doesnt have all phone models in its database, so if you dont find your phone in its list, you would have to use method 2

2) NOT SO HARD WAY
head over to gsmarena.com

type your phone model name in its search box and hit enter. a page should display, select ypur model number at the top, thenn click network tab, this would display all the frequency your phone supports. note them

Now google the freqency of the canadian network you intend using ie query say "Rogers Canada frequency bands". check if what you saw for your phone on gsmarena matches with that of the network, if No, prepare to buy a new phone in Canada.

EXAMPLE TIME

like I said my phone model name is LG V20 and model number is LS997, model numbee is very important because not all model share the same hardware and software.

I headed to GSMarena to check the frequency band my phone supports. They are

NETWORK............Technology
2G bands..............GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands...............HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 & CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
4G bands............... LTE band 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700), 25(1900), 26(850), 41(2500)

I googled the frequency Rogers Canada operates on, here:

Frequencies used on the Rogers Network
NETWORK Technology
2G bands........... GSM 850, 1900 MHz
3G bands............HSDPA 850, 1900 MHz
4G bands............LTE band 4(1700/2100)

Conclusion: my phone would work just fine with Rogers because it supports frequency 850, 1900 for 2G&3G and 1700, 2100 for 4G

It is possible for your phone to seem to support a network, only to land in Canada and discover that in practice it doesnt. there are a couple of reasons for this. if your phone isnt a generic model ie its a carrier phone e.g a galaxy s7 bought from Tmobile, AT&T, Sprint etc your hardware may support a frequency but your carrier may have disabled it in your phone's software, under agreement with your phone's manufacturer. this is different from mere network locking that could be sorted easily at Compu Village. Most times you would need an MSL from your carrier and even if they oblige you, not everyone knows how to write that to a phone's NAND.

So I would say if you find your phone listed on Gsmarena and your phone is a carrier branded phone, it isnt foolproof that it would work in canada. There are ways to know what bands have been disabled by ones carrier but ehm lets keep this simple and eh brief.
if you bought your phone brand new in Nigeria, then this carrier wahala shouldnt bother you.
My Engineer. This is detailed. Thanks for this post.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by taskcompleteng: 11:56pm On Jul 20, 2018
Pls how about migrating to Canada through arranged employment, is this still working
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by taskcompleteng: 11:57pm On Jul 20, 2018
My wife want to go for nursing, is there any online courses for it before we leave Nigeria

Or what course can she do to kick start her career in nursing.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yungreezy: 11:57pm On Jul 20, 2018
Hello guys,

Please I have a question regarding obtaining drivers license in Ontario. So I have the original Nigerian drivers license issued in November 2017 and also got a letter from frsc to authenticate it before coming here in may. My question is, with this license and letter, can I skip g2 stage and go straight to G?

@ballerz and the other gurus on this topic, kindly help.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by taskcompleteng: 12:08am On Jul 21, 2018
Pls my friend got this Provincial authority and ITA approval has been moved to NGLOS-ACC since April and up till.now the have not called him in Canadians embassy....what is the delay??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 1:58am On Jul 21, 2018
Hose shoe bay ferry terminal, vancouver

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 2:10am On Jul 21, 2018
Vancouver island auto show... many of the rides are older than Nigeria as a country, yet well maintained...�... with the high number of seniors here there are a lot of collector cars too... when the basic neccesities of life are not your prayer points anymore, there are a lot of things to do with time, and money... like having a hobby

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 2:12am On Jul 21, 2018
from the auto show

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 2:13am On Jul 21, 2018
Summer on the island

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 2:17am On Jul 21, 2018
Trump!... vancouver

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iGary: 4:17am On Jul 21, 2018
ottawasenators:
follow "mysoftlanding" on instagram. Its operated by Nigerians in Toronto who can assist you with settling in.

Thanks a lot. I found them helpful and would be contacting them soon.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iGary: 4:45am On Jul 21, 2018
mostojr:

Serious? Why so? I just feel going to school to spend a year is a waste of time. She could get a job in 2-3 months Toronto if she starts searching from day 1.

Some people just want to be 'OK' while other want to thrive and be successful. Education is one way to achieve that success especially in Canada. Her mentality sounds like the latter but I sense you know this but dont want to admit cos you don't want to be away from her. It is non sensible (at least to me) to suggest to someone to forfeit a fully sponsored masters programme for entry level jobs when top management executives take time off (unpaid sometimes) to obtain further education such as this masters programme. Let her do her if you have her interest at heart. You can enroll in her institution too and be doing part time jobs so you get to be close to her (no sha forget to carry ur tuition money oo...lol)

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iGary: 4:51am On Jul 21, 2018
mostojr:

Serious? Why so? I just feel going to school to spend a year is a waste of time. She could get a job in 2-3 months Toronto if she starts searching from day 1.

Some people just want to be 'OK' while other want to thrive and be successful. Education is one way to achieve that success especially in Canada. Her mentality sounds like the latter but I sense you know this but dont want to admit cos you don't want to be away from her. It is non sensible (at least to me) to suggest to someone to forfeit a fully sponsored masters programme for entry level jobs when top management executives take time off (unpaid sometimes) to obtain further education such as this masters programme. Let her do her if you have her interest at heart. You can enroll in her institution too and be doing part time jobs so you get to be close to her (no sha forget to carry ur tuition money oo...lol)

(1) (2) (3) ... (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: JujuBlaqHosan(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.