Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,464 members, 7,781,345 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:52 PM

Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria (80282 Views)

What's The Best Skill To Learn Under 6 Months For Me To Migrate To Europe? / With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? / Leave The Country Or Stay Back And Start Something?please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 9:52am On Feb 09, 2017
sisisioge:

No thank you! I have my eyes only for the OP's friend.

It seems sisisioge wants a ripe fruit. Let's plant my seed together and enjoy our harvest..... ..
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 09, 2017
cjeriia:
It's a no brainer my friend. Carry ur load waka sharp sharp
we expect a detail suggestions no road side statement like carry go this a life long thing that can mar or make someone

3 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by sisisioge: 1:57pm On Feb 09, 2017
Lexusgs430:

It seems sisisioge wants a ripe fruit. Let's plant my seed together and enjoy our harvest..... ..

Back off stalker! My husband is watching tongue

6 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by cjeriia: 3:22pm On Feb 09, 2017
Alikote:
we expect a detail suggestions no road side statement like carry go this a life long thing that can mar or make someone
I wonder where u fell out from....?? If u quote me again, may Amadioha strike u where it hurts. Omo alata
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Schwartz: 6:01pm On Feb 09, 2017
Alikote:
stupid nigga undecidedthem they list a list countries canada or australia u dey talk one hiv country
Don't try it! I repeat DONT TRY IT! I live abroad, I have seen first hand what Nigerians who relocate straight from Nigeria without a waiting job offer go through. You will be starting life afresh. Your certificates and work experience you acquired in Nigeria will have to be put aside. It won't do anything for you. You have to start with menial jobs first. Then gather money and go back to school. Write multiple qualification exams. All these take years. When you are done, if you didn't read a course that is in short supply eg Medical field, IT and a few others you will face rejections before you MAY get a white collar job. For those who read economics, business admin, etc your chances are slimer especially in Germany where I reside plus I believe its so in other places too. Because I know for a fact that Nigerian women take to Nursing in the USA for the reasons I mentioned. Here in Germany the day I experienced -24 degree everyone was shaking from cold even the whites where covered so much, a lot of them were wearing thick face masks. And Shinarambo said today its -46 in Canada. That is very extreme for anyone. The grass is never greener on the other side. Remain in Nigeria, when you want to travel abroad go for a visit, With that kind of salary you earn in Nigeria, no county will reject your visa. I have seen many take this route you are about to take and they are regretting. Before you will reach the same level (managerial) you are now if you go abroad it will take many years and you may never reach it because trust me the whites you going to meet to compete with in the job market are far more educated and skilled than you can imagine.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 7:03pm On Feb 09, 2017
Schwartz:

Don't try it! I repeat DONT TRY IT! I live abroad, I have seen first hand what Nigerians who relocate straight from Nigeria without a waiting job offer go through. You will be starting life afresh. Your certificates and work experience you acquired in Nigeria will have to be put aside. It won't do anything for you. You have to start with menial jobs first. Then gather money and go back to school. Write multiple qualification exams. All these take years. When you are done, if you didn't read a course that is in short supply eg Medical field, IT and a few others you will face rejections before you MAY get a white collar job. For those who read economics, business admin, etc your chances are slimer especially in Germany where I reside plus I believe its so in other places too. Because I know for a fact that Nigerian women take to Nursing in the USA for the reasons I mentioned. Here in Germany the day I experienced -24 degree everyone was shaking from cold even the whites where covered so much, a lot of them were wearing thick face masks. And Shinarambo said today its -46 in Canada. That is very extreme for anyone. The grass is never greener on the other side. Remain in Nigeria, when you want to travel abroad go for a visit, With that kind of salary you earn in Nigeria, no county will reject your visa. I have seen many take this route you are about to take and they are regretting. Before you will reach the same level (managerial) you are now if you go abroad it will take many years and you may never reach it because trust me the whites you going to meet to compete with in the job market are far more educated and skilled than you can imagine.

N400K/month is ~$816/month. That pay is totally meh from a global point of view
A person on the lowest minimum wage in Canada will earn more than twice that sum within the same period.

If the person in question is going to base his decision on how much he'll earn then Canada is the better option by far. Plus one should note that people, i.e Nigerians/foreigners can and do attain managerial positions in reasonable times just as well as indigenes provided they prove their mettle just like everyone else. Even though there are exceptions, the system there is more meritorious than in Nigeria.

But there are other reasons the guy should stay in Nigeria. . . Who will make Nigeria great again if everyone runs away?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Schwartz: 7:24pm On Feb 09, 2017
ApexTitan:

A person on the lowest minimum wage in Canada will earn more than twice that sum within the same period.

If the person in question is going to base his decision on how much he'll earn then Canada is the better option by far. Plus one should note that people, i.e Nigerians/foreigners can and do attain managerial positions in reasonable times just as well as indigenes provided they prove their mettle just like everyone else. Even though there are exceptions, the system there is more meritorious than in Nigeria.

But there are other reasons the guy should stay in Nigeria. . . Who will make Nigeria great again if everyone runs away?
Have you lived abroad before? Or you are just assuming things? He will earn more doing what job exactly? A person on the lowest minimum wage will earn more than 400k equivalent indeed shocked Do you know how expensive it is to live abroad? Do you know what it means to pay bills? Do you pay tax? plus other deductions? How much do you think you will have left as savings at the end of the day? What visa is the guy even planning to use to relocate? someone earning 400k in Nigeria is rich and comfortable. The equivalent of that in dollars wont do much. You wont be rich with that money in Canada. This is 2016 Nigerians should stop having this mentality that once you come abroad you 'HIT" so much money or that you will be swimming in cash. Before you settle down here you will face challenges. Then again the weather there is really cold. Today its 1 degree celcius in Germany, we had to wear gloves, head warmer and the whole winter garbs. Everyone was rushing home. Then to hear that Canada is -46 degree today means that Canada is way way colder than Europe. I cant even see myself enduring that kind of cold.

17 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:26pm On Feb 09, 2017
ApexTitan:

But there are other reasons the guy should stay in Nigeria. . . Who will make Nigeria great again if everyone runs away?that not how to compute mo
that not how to compute money ...money is in the value it provide example we barb in nigeria for 300 naira while in canada is 50 dollar to achieve same thing that 13 k or banana IS 500 per bunch in najia while around 3000 naira in canada....it only when u bring u dollars to nijia that when u acheive tripple benefit ....

15 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Eke40seven(m): 7:51pm On Feb 09, 2017
ApexTitan:

Hello! Your theory of direct exchange rate conversion to weigh the value of the earnings from the comparisons of the two countries is completely wrong. Have you ever heard of the term, "Purchasing Power Parity"? N400k will buy way more things in Nigeria than what even $1500 will buy in Canada. So, please dont analyse it using that perspective.
In my opinion, i think this particular individual should stick to Nigeria with his earning that is certain than going for uncertainties in Canada, EXCEPT of course he has a certain job offer with a comparable pay. If he were jobless or with a shitty job in Nigeria, that i could understand since he would have nothing much to lose.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 8:18pm On Feb 09, 2017
Alikote:
that not how to compute money ...money is in the value it provide example we barb in nigeria for 300 naira while in canada is 50 dollar to achieve same thing that 13 k or banana IS 500 per bunch in najia while around 3000 naira in canada....it only when u bring u dollars to nijia that when u acheive tripple benefit ....

N400K is somewhere around $USD816 given the current FX rate (N490=US$1), not so?

So from a global view, a salary of N400K or $816 is nothing exceptional to write home about. The guy we are discussing currently earns N400K, that pay may be comfortable for just himself while in 9ja but should he have need to purchase anything overseas or from the international market he will see that it won't get him anywhere far. That sum is not even enough to buy an economy ticket (on BA) from Abuja to Toronto or a high-end smartphone like the Google Pixel (32GB)

The point here is that while he may be a manager back in 9ja with that pay, a person working a menial job on minimum wage is earning twice that per month in Canada.

Even with this consideration, I am saying he should stay back; Nigeria needs him grin

6 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 8:27pm On Feb 09, 2017
Schwartz:

Have you lived abroad before? Or you are just assuming things? He will earn more doing what job exactly? A person on the lowest minimum wage will earn more than 400k equivalent indeed shocked Do you know how expensive it is to live abroad? Do you know what it means to pay bills? Do you pay tax? plus other deductions? How much do you think you will have left as savings at the end of the day? What visa is the guy even planning to use to relocate? someone earning 400k in Nigeria is rich and comfortable. The equivalent of that in dollars wont do much. You wont be rich with that money in Canada. This is 2016 Nigerians should stop having this mentality that once you come abroad you 'HIT" so much money or that you will be swimming in cash. Before you settle down here you will face challenges. Then again the weather there is really cold. Today its 1 degree celcius in Germany, we had to wear gloves, head warmer and the whole winter garbs. Everyone was rushing home. Then to hear that Canada is -46 degree today means that Canada is way way colder than Europe. I cant even see myself enduring that kind of cold.

Tell me more about living in Canada.

1C and you are wearing toques and gloves. Una never see anything.

For the rest of your post see and understand my response to Alikote above.

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Schwartz: 8:35pm On Feb 09, 2017
ApexTitan:

Tell me more about living in Canada.

1C and you are wearing toques and gloves. Una never see anything.

For the rest of your post see and understand my response to Alikote above.
Its because of people like you that I do not write online. How does wearing gloves make you to insult me? You think everyone you meet online happens to be your mate? Silly

2 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 8:49pm On Feb 09, 2017
Schwartz:

Its because of people like you that I do not write online. How does wearing gloves make you to insult me? You think everyone you meet online happens to be your mate? Silly

Oga I didn't insult you o. Apologies if you somehow felt insulted by my post.

5 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by thesoj: 9:30pm On Feb 09, 2017
Schwartz, I like that your post doesn't paint an excessively rosy picture of "abroad" since most Nigerians think going "abroad" guarantees money and comfort.

Having said that, I'll have to disagree with the idea that the OP will be doomed if he moves abroad. Each person that goes abroad has a different experience.

This is primarily shaped by the country of destination, expertise in one's career area, language of the new country, the city in the new country (rural? urban? racist? available jobs?) , the person's adaptability, the person's willingness and proactiveness to learn & adapt to how his/her profession is practiced in the new country, the person's willingness to immerse himself/herself in the new culture, etc.

The OP should do some soul-searching to determine if he is the proactive, intellectually curious, and culturally adaptive type. If he is, then he should strongly consider moving. Driven and adaptable immigrants can highly succeed in western English speaking countries, particularly those with friendly immigration policies to highly skilled workers (Canada tops this list).

Moving to a non-English speaking country though, like Germany, may have massive roadblocks unless one is in IT or in the sciences (or unless one can learn the language really well); so this is where I agree with you. I hope your situation in Germany gets better.

For me, moving out of Nigeria over a decade ago to get an education in an English-speaking western country (Canada's neighbor, lol) was probably the best decision of my life. I'm absolutely not saying success is guaranteed for everybody, but the chances of success in an English-speaking immigration-friendly western country is very high for a proactive, intellectually curious, non-stereotypical, and culturally adaptable Nigerian immigrant.

OP, don't count your chicks before they hatch. Getting a Canada student visa is not trivial. First see if you can get the student visa and then decide if it is worth travelling.
Schwartz:

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by thesoj: 9:38pm On Feb 09, 2017
I see some other comments that assume that OP's salary is high. N400,000 per month is actually not high particularly given the weakening state of the Naira. Nigeria is an import-based economy so most quality goods will cost a lot (e.g. the cost of a car or phone or fridge goes up as the Naira weakens). So your purchasing power parity is not high because most Nigerian goods are imported and hence their prices are dependent on the dollar. Keep in mind that the Naira is still overvalued and will weaken further in the next year or two.

In any case, don't treat going abroad as a do-or-die matter. Treat it as an opportunity to get an education and exposure from a global perspective. You could then return to Nigeria and even make a greater impact. Or stay abroad if you obtain permanent residency and want to stay.

One more thing: OP's salary doesn't considerably guarantee his future chances of getting a visa. Go on the two Canada visa threads on NL to see the many applicant profiles who get denied even with salaries higher than OP's. Getting a US or Canadian visa (for example), is not merely about how much you make.

Also, OP's job is not guaranteed. Oil prices have been dropping and there will be more layoffs particularly as electric vehicles (in developed countries) start to gain traction in the next decade.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by zeelo2014: 9:51pm On Feb 09, 2017
Eke40seven:

Hello! Your theory of direct exchange rate conversion to weigh the value of the earnings from the comparisons of the two countries is completely wrong. Have you ever heard of the term, "Purchasing Power Parity"? N400k will buy way more things in Nigeria than what even $1500 will buy in Canada. So, please dont analyse it using that perspective.
In my opinion, i think this particular individual should stick to Nigeria with his earning that is certain than going for uncertainties in Canada, EXCEPT of course he has a certain job offer with a comparable pay. If he were jobless or with a shitty job in Nigeria, that i could understand since he would have nothing much to lose.
Most important factor to consider is the earning power in a country. If the OP has a similar job in Canada, he'll earn about 5 times what he earns in Nigeria. The idea is taking a calculated risk, sincerely analyzing his chances of getting a decent job in Canada within a year. The first year might be rough especially moving with a family. Things might be more expensive but u're bound to earn enough to cover those expenses.
N400k monthly is meagre to what he's capable of earning in a decent job in Canada.

6 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by zeelo2014: 10:01pm On Feb 09, 2017
@thesoj, you totally summed it up. Everything lies on the OP. Another advice is he shouldn't leave that job in naija and move to Canada on student visa knowing fully well he has dependents in Nigeria. Get a migrant visa and move the entire family. For those saying 400k monthly is a huge pay, that's false. First he has to maintain a standard of living, pay rent, pay exorbitant sch fees for kids, generator, food, still face the challenges of living in naija. Kids development is restricted to academics only, no sport or recreational facilities available and so on...

5 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:12pm On Feb 09, 2017
thesoj:
I see some other comments that assume that OP's salary is high. N400,000 per month is actually not high particularly given the weakening state of the Naira. Nigeria is an import-based economy so most quality goods will cost a lot (e.g. the cost of a car or phone or fridge goes up as the Naira weakens). So your purchasing power parity is not high because most Nigerian goods are imported and hence their prices are dependent on the dollar. Keep in mind that the Naira is still overvalued and will weaken further in the next year or two.

In any case, don't treat going abroad as a do-or-die matter. Treat it as an opportunity to get an education and exposure from a global perspective. You could then return to Nigeria and even make a greater impact. Or stay abroad if you obtain permanent residency and want to stay.

One more thing: OP's salary doesn't considerably guarantee his future chances of getting a visa. Go on the two Canada visa threads on NL to see the many applicant profiles who get denied even with salaries higher than OP's. Getting a US or Canadian visa (for example), is not merely about how much you make.

Also, OP's job is not guaranteed. Oil prices have been dropping and there will be more layoffs particularly as electric vehicles (in developed countries) start to gain traction in the next decade.
we dont but ac ,cars tvs daily my 10 yrs old ac still work fine ...my benz 2008 still work well

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:13pm On Feb 09, 2017
thesoj:

that almost a professor salary in federal unis

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Eke40seven(m): 10:32pm On Feb 09, 2017
zeelo2014:

Most important factor to consider is the earning power in a country. If the OP has a similar job in Canada, he'll earn about 5 times what he earns in Nigeria. The idea is taking a calculated risk, sincerely analyzing his chances of getting a decent job in Canada within a year. The first year might be rough especially moving with a family. Things might be more expensive but u're bound to earn enough to cover those expenses.
N400k monthly is meagre to what he's capable of earning in a decent job in Canada.
\Well, it is important to clear so many misconceptions or if you live in North America or Europe you probably would know better. Do you know that right now, most oil companies have laid-off their workers instead of recruiting? Do you know that the possibility of getting a job straight away even after a year is possibly a hoax? At least, in Europe, i know that is absolutely time wasting, you must start from the scratch. My brother, if you earn 400k in Nigeria, you stand the chance to live more like a king than someone earning 3 times that amount in these western countries, bar access to credit and mortgage.
There is nothing calculated about leaving a high paying job of up to 400k to Canada with your Nigerian degrees to look for job in a very poor performing sector. A risk it is, but calculated, i doubt.

5 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 10:35pm On Feb 09, 2017
Nice posts thesoj and Zeelo. I was surprised when people were suggesting that N400K is a comfortable sum in today's environment.

The guy in question is considering whether to migrate not only through a student visa but through the skilled migration program. If he does go the route of skilled migration like the Express Entry program currently running in Canada his entry into a comfortable middle-class status or higher is fast tracked so long as he remains proactive and continues to prove himself. All that talk of starting from scratch or waiting forever before attaining a reasonable level of success is exaggerated. The people who are unsuccessful are usually those who not only studied a non-STEM related course and therefore do not have any skills that are in demand or transferable to the Canadian economy but they failed to stay on top of their game.
I'm not saying it's a bed of roses but his chances of success are much higher if he works hard and stays sharp.

But again all of this is just one consideration to make before deciding on whether to leave or stay in Nigeria. This is just the financial part. There are still many valid reasons to stay in Nigeria and the guy should not base his reasoning on just the financial part.

Nigeria needs you. You people should not run away cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by maternal: 11:25pm On Feb 09, 2017
Schwartz:

Your destiny is not the next man's. Your post is filled with ignorance and bias. To begin with Shinarambo lives in the coldest part of Canada. I have never experienced -46. Winter in a city like Vancouver for example is usually 2 degrees, while Toronto for example is a few degrees below 0. Not to mention you'll get a good 6 months of good weather. As for economics prosperity, I also live abroad and I've seen Nigerians who are losers and some who are winners. You see here unlike naija, your destiny is literally in your own hands. Yes ones qualification will most likely not be recognized, because Nigeria's educational system is a joke. So one can easily go back to school for the 4 years and obtain Canadian qualifications, or they can sit down and continue to complain. I've seen many Nigerians obtain good jobs with 2-4 years after arriving here through hard work and networking. My cousin arrived here 8 months ago and faced the same issues. He took a professional exam, used his naija bank experience, and just got a very good working for a major bank here in Canada. All this within 8 months. He has his own place, gets paid ON TIME, has money in the bank, etc. He shakes thinking what his future would have been like had he stayed in naija. Whereas I know useless Nigerians who have been here for 10+ plus and still do minimal jobs. Here is based on merits. And yes over here you have to work for everything you get. Lastly this made me laugh. "With that kind of salary you earn in Nigeria, no county will reject your visa". To begin with, the money he makes is small boy change over here. What's that 800 or so Canadian dollars. And secondly, as you can see with Trump's executive order, 3rd world passports aren't respected around the world. So long as you carry that green passport, you're never guaranteed a visa period.

I'm always confused why people who live ABROAD always discourage those back home to come abroad. With all your "hardship" abroad yet u still dey there. Enemy of progress I swear.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 11:28pm On Feb 09, 2017
Eke40seven:

\Well, it is important to clear so many misconceptions or if you live in North America or Europe you probably would know better. Do you know that right now, most oil companies have laid-off their workers instead of recruiting? Do you know that the possibility of getting a job straight away even after a year is possibly a hoax? At least, in Europe, i know that is absolutely time wasting, you must start from the scratch. My brother, if you earn 400k in Nigeria, you stand the chance to live more like a king than someone earning 3 times that amount in these western countries, bar access to credit and mortgage.
There is nothing calculated about leaving a high paying job of up to 400k to Canada with your Nigerian degrees to look for job in a very poor performing sector. A risk it is, but calculated, i doubt.

A job in the Nigerian oil sector (today) that pays 400K/m is anything but guaranteed or comfortable. The downturn in oil prices has forced many companies to downsize or cut cost drastically as you have rightly noted and it is still ongoing. Will it not be prudent for the man in our OP to look to increase his chances of success or should he grow complacent in the fact that he is living better than his neighbours who are currently stricken by poverty?
He is currently single, if he gets married tonight I can bet you that that pay will no longer seem kinglike to him.

The fact that he is currently a project manager in the oil industry doesn't mean that's the only sector he can work in overseas. Project management cuts across many industries and sectors. No mention is made of his educational background though. I personally think people should head towards pure STEM courses or fields because that's where the chances of success are highest.

2 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by maternal: 11:33pm On Feb 09, 2017
Schwartz:

Have you lived abroad before? Or you are just assuming things? He will earn more doing what job exactly? A person on the lowest minimum wage will earn more than 400k equivalent indeed shocked Do you know how expensive it is to live abroad? Do you know what it means to pay bills? [b]Do you pay tax? [/b]plus other deductions? How much do you think you will have left as savings at the end of the day? What visa is the guy even planning to use to relocate? [b]someone earning 400k in Nigeria is rich and comfortable. [/b]The equivalent of that in dollars wont do much. You wont be rich with that money in Canada. This is 2016 Nigerians should stop having this mentality that once you come abroad you 'HIT" so much money or that you will be swimming in cash. Before you settle down here you will face challenges. Then again the weather there is really cold. Today its 1 degree celcius in Germany, we had to wear gloves, head warmer and the whole winter garbs. Everyone was rushing home. Then to hear that Canada is -46 degree today means that Canada is way way colder than Europe. I cant even see myself enduring that kind of cold.

Yes we all pay taxes. What you conveniently left out is that my/our taxes pays for our children school fees, roads, healthcare, police, government pension etc, and a million other benefits people in naija can only dream about. Is someone who earns 400k in naija really comfortable after they pay literally everything out of pocket ? Children school fee, fuel for the gen, high food cost, etc ? What about the stability these countries offer, such as peace, running water, 24/7 power, etc ? My friend look at everything in the grand scheme of things. Money isn't everything. Also it was 5 degrees in Vancouver today, -4 in Toronto. Stop spreading false information.

16 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by thesoj: 11:59pm On Feb 09, 2017
@maternal @ApexTitan and @zeelo214, you guys have made some very powerful points.
OP, you probably qualify for Express Entry, in which case you should totally give it a shot.

I'm not of the school of thought that you should stay in Nigeria to develop it. Our population is approaching 200 million people and we have many bright minds that lay waste because of poor infrastructure and a persistently irresponsible government. Rich people don't invest in bright young people, so bright minds mostly don't fulfill their potential.

Immigrating to another country (legally) will do Nigeria a favor; it frees up your job for someone else and also helps reduce the overpopulation. lol. But stay in Nigeria if you have great plans about building a company that would employ lots of Nigerians.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by pansophist(m): 12:58am On Feb 10, 2017
your friends wealth will not elevate him from the structural poverty Nigeria thrives in. Common South Africa, you'll need a visa to go. Your money will not exempt you from enduring the unstable power supply, guarantee you a reliable quality medicals etc. if I were you ma guy, I go Port.
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by zeelo2014: 2:41am On Feb 10, 2017
Eke40seven:

I can tell you with confidence that lots of oil companies in N.America are facing shortage of hands in the field. with the right skill set and networking you can get a good job. Oil price is currently not high but fairly stable, companies have come to terms with the price and adjusted their budget.
Also the baby boomers are retiring, there's a need to fill up the void they're leaving behind and this will continue for some more years.
400k in Nigeria now is not the same as 400k of 4 or 5 years ago ooo, things don red. If he has the opportunity to leave, now is the time.
Aside oil and gas there're many other viable sectors he can jump into, options abound.
Major advice I'll give anyone moving abroad, drop that false sense of entitlement. Because you were at a certain position in Naija doesn't mean you must get that same level abroad, walk your way up, key is getting your foot in the door. Wish the OP luck!

8 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Etfash(m): 8:50am On Feb 10, 2017
Wonderful comments.
I have a question but, let me contribute my quota: a friend, who now lives in Canada, advised me against staying back here in Nigeria after getting an above average knowledge of my financial standing and potentials. My greatest fear in life is the possibility of failure to maximize my potentials. I cannot also afford to make my kids start from where I started when I have the opportunity to do better. OP or whoever is involved, choose wisely and carefully.

Now to my question:
I have some professional certifications, international, in my practice which were awarded by a Certification body based in Canada and U.S.A. I am currently up for admission into the league of practitioners of the same Certification body here in Nigeria. My question is, do you guys think these Certifications may still be regarded as Nigerian on relocation to one of both countries: Canada or U.S.A?
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:33am On Feb 10, 2017
maternal:

Yes we all pay taxes. What you conveniently left out is that my/our taxes pays for our children school fees, roads, healthcare, police, government pension etc, and a million other benefits people in naija can only dream about. Is someone who earns 400k in naija really comfortable after they pay literally everything out of pocket ? Children school fee, fuel for the gen, high food cost, etc ? What about the stability these countries offer, such as peace, running water, 24/7 power, etc ? My friend look at everything in the grand scheme of things. Money isn't everything. Also it was 5 degrees in Vancouver today, -4 in Toronto. Stop spreading false information.

Hey, stop listening to stories on the Internet try to get actual experience.
I have discovered that most people writing bad things about Nigeria are the frustrated folks who would rather cross to Europe through Lybia than to be productive to themselves.

You say we don't have running water here? Well, that's a big lie, we do. And if anyone does not then they can supply their own water by digging a bore hole for themselves or their communities (no one pays tax for this and you get constant water for life once this is done). They can form groups to achieve this if funds are limited.

Public schools are totally free here too and most of our leaders today attended these schools, people can also make choices based on their budgets on the kind of schools they want their kids to attend, they can also home school if they chose. As for light, we were paying only N87/ltr for fuel to run our gen in 2015, I believe we can get back to that again with good leadership. Some places do have good light supply. Alternative energy like solar and wind is being used privately.

Alternative medicine here is an option which people use (just like in China and India) our grand parents lived very long too. As for Western medicine, some states do give free basic health care to pregnant women and children under 5. Most government and state hospitals are heavily subsidized

Nigeria is not hell, contrary to what you might think so someone earning N400K a month can expand his wealth greatly in an almost tax free country. Everything depends on him and his God

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria / See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / 2 people Die As Helicopter Crashes Into Building in Opebi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.