Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,717 members, 7,805,948 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria (80678 Views)

What's The Best Skill To Learn Under 6 Months For Me To Migrate To Europe? / With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? / Leave The Country Or Stay Back And Start Something?please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:21am On Feb 12, 2017
NGN400k can invest in real estate? have we all forgotten that expenses are being made from that money? what is left after transport for a month is paid for? foodstuff, fuel/diesel and if he has family responsibility(which he must have..is it not naija again) add that to the list.

This one wan pass yeye dey smell undecided

5 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by HarveySpecter1: 2:18am On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Good, you are a Canadian and you love your country so what makes you feel you have bragging rights and I don't because I am a Nigerian?

What do you know about the things we enjoy here?

1) We pay very little tax here..

2)

Oh stop it, you are a clown.

You are also not well informed.

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by maternal: 2:27am On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Is it wrong to be patriotic? This country is blessed with so many resources, good soil, solid minerals, good weather, abundant man power, etc. If the government fails us does that mean we should give up on a country with so much potential?

The OP asked for our opinions and I said with the salary he earns he can invest in real estate, acquire property, renovate and sell. He can start building from scratch and sell his properties later or even make steady income by becoming a landlord. If you live in Nigeria you will know that real estate business is something that you cannot lose your money if you plan well. If he decides to stay overseas and do this business people here will take advantage of him.

Must i tell him to relocate before my advice will be taken as intelligent? Haba, we can't all have the same view.

I'm honestly trying to figure out if you're just trolling us or you're this ignorant. I can't be the only one.

10 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Eke40seven(m): 3:08am On Feb 12, 2017
maternal:

I'm honestly trying to figure out if you're just trolling us or you're this ignorant. I can't be the only one.
As someone who lives abroad, i don't think she is trolling in any way. It is just a matter of perspective.
What matters to you might not be the motivation for someone else. By the way, there are Canadian, American and European expats in Nigeria too.
In my opinion, its easier to enrich yourself more in Nigeria with that kind of earning than someone abroad. These are hard facts. Business opportunities, no bureaucratic or regulatory restrictions (You might argue that its not good may be, but you can be holier than me, i am trained in the field of 'sustainability').

For the OP, if having access to good facilities and amenities like roads, security, etc is his motivation, then he should probably move abroad but i bet you, if he wants to be a millionaire overnight and that is his motivation, then i think with his RESOURCES, he should take advantage of the situation in Nigeria. I'm sure if he puts in the same amount of intelligent and guided efforts, he would surely get rich faster. His 4 months salary can open a viable poultry business, employing people.
Note also, that less tax doesnt necessarily mean a bad thing, most countries in the top ten highest per capita income, (may be apart from the Scandinavians) actually have low taxes, Liechtenstein, UAE etc. Have you heard of Monaco too?
If the OP earned may be 60-100k or thereabout, i would have encouraged him to hop into the next flight, one way no return.

5 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Collyno82(m): 4:16am On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Is it wrong to be patriotic? This country is blessed with so many resources, good soil, solid minerals, good weather, abundant man power, etc. If the government fails us does that mean we should give up on a country with so much potential?

The OP asked for our opinions and I said with the salary he earns he can invest in real estate, acquire property, renovate and sell. He can start building from scratch and sell his properties later or even make steady income by becoming a landlord. If you live in Nigeria you will know that real estate business is something that you cannot lose your money if you plan well. If he decides to stay overseas and do this business people here will take advantage of him.

Must i tell him to relocate before my advice will be taken as intelligent? Haba, we can't all have the same view.
My dear traveling to Canada doesn't mean that he has given up on Nigerian. If he travel he will bring back the money n invest like in real estate as u have rightly mentioned. My dearest pidgin2 business has gone beyond given ur relatives money to buy land n build house for u. Globalisation has made everything easier business inclusive. That's my take. Good morning.
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Collyno82(m): 4:44am On Feb 12, 2017
Eke40seven:

As someone who lives abroad, i don't think she is trolling in any way. It is just a matter of perspective.
What matters to you might not be the motivation for someone else. By the way, there are Canadian, American and European expats in Nigeria too.
In my opinion, its easier to enrich yourself more in Nigeria with that kind of earning than someone abroad. These are hard facts. Business opportunities, no bureaucratic or regulatory restrictions (You might argue that its not good may be, but you can be holier than me, i am trained in the field of 'sustainability').

For the OP, if having access to good facilities and amenities like roads, security, etc is his motivation, then he should probably move abroad but i bet you, if he wants to be a millionaire overnight and that is his motivation, then i think with his RESOURCES, he should take advantage of the situation in Nigeria. I'm sure if he puts in the same amount of intelligent and guided efforts, he would surely get rich faster. His 4 months salary can open a viable poultry business, employing people.
Note also, that less tax doesnt necessarily mean a bad thing, most countries in the top ten highest per capita income, (may be apart from the Scandinavians) actually have low taxes, Liechtenstein, UAE etc. Have you heard of Monaco too?
If the OP earned may be 60-100k or thereabout, i would have encouraged him to hop into the next flight, one way no return.
My friend stop muddling up issues. 400k salary ur talking abt is less than 800$. U talk about becoming rich in naija over night, except tru corrupt tendencies. For ur information Forbes listed our country among the ten most difficult places to do business in the word. You talk of bureaucratic bottle necks, do u no wat it will take u to register ordinary pure water business, not to talk about wat u will pass tru to get nafdac number, but in Canada once ur working u buy a house n car tru mortgage n so on. Yes y can't u pay higher taxation wen cocking gas are pipe inside ur house, water n light 24/7. Health care facility is superb, insurance is working. Yes Monaco ur talking abt is not a country is a city in France. Pls n pls stop comparing heaven with hell fire I beg u.

9 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 5:47am On Feb 12, 2017
Invest in real estate, acquire property, renovate and sell??

Become a millionaire overnight?? All with $790??

There must be something Eke40Seven and Pidjin2 know that the business world doesn't. grin

8 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 5:52am On Feb 12, 2017
In other news, 1million naira is now USD$1976 in the parallel market (at N506=$1)

Oh wait, is this what you guys mean by becoming a millionaire overnight? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by arena07: 6:32am On Feb 12, 2017
ApexTitan:
In other news, 1million naira is now USD$1976 in the parallel market (at N506=$1)

Oh wait, is this what you guys mean by becoming a millionaire overnight? cheesy
it will be 600 naira per dollar before the end of March
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by maternal: 7:29am On Feb 12, 2017
Eke40seven:

You make some points but I disagree. Most people who own or have ran a business in Nigeria would also disagree I believe. Just too much to go cover at this time. Be a millionaire overnight, get rich faster, invest in real estate, acquire property, renovate and sell, etc ? All on 400k naira. I'd like to know you and Pidgeot-babe's business plans. Not trying to be funny either, I'm dead serious. Show me the way.

7 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Benjamite01: 9:44am On Feb 12, 2017
I dont know about Canada, But here in USA, i move here about 3months ago,because i don have my papers yet, and i work in a Factory 10hrs a day.I make 2k dollars in a Month. that is 1million naira in a Month. its worth it if you find yourself here.you will like like human being and be proud of yourself because at the end of the week you will realize that Hard-work Pays when your check is handed to u. I check my pocket now and still looking at $500 i cash yesterday. America is indeed Great.

14 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by lolawilliams(f): 10:14am On Feb 12, 2017
Benjamite01:
I dont know about Canada, But here in USA, i move here about 3months ago,because i don have my papers yet, and i work in a Factory 10hrs a day.I make 2k dollars in a Month. that is 1million naira in a Month. its worth it if you find yourself here.you will like like human being and be proud of yourself because at the end of the week you will realize that Hard-work Pays when your check is handed to u. I check my pocket now and still looking at $500 i cash yesterday. America is indeed Great.

You earn $500 weekly and here are arguments about living comfortable with $800 monthly. I love this grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by lagosrd: 10:41am On Feb 12, 2017
maternal:

Pls chat me up privately. I need n urgent info from u. Thakst
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:05pm On Feb 12, 2017
Benjamite01:

Sometimes I wonder at the reasoning of some people. I am very sure you are squatting with someone there to be able to survive on that amount and still have change left. Do you think everyone posting here is unlearned?

Say your truth how much do you barb your hair at saloon? I am guessing $20 that's like N10,000 here whereas most average people barb their hair for less than N500 per week. You think we are stupid here?

You spend in dollars while we spend in Naira, it is not the same thing. Fuel here is about 30 cents per litre when converted so what are you talking about na. I see you converted your monthly salary to naira, is that what you use to pay for goods and services over there?

Your heating alone(monthly) can be up to $50 that's like N25,000 here to make yourself warm (it is free here)

Electricity might be like $75 a month, that's like N37,500 when converted to naira

Internet and cable is like $45 per month, that's like N22,500 whereas unlimited here is like N11K, cable from 1,500 upwards

In some apartments in NY ordinary parking fee is $300, rent insurance from $15 to $30

The average monthly rent for a one bedroom flat in NY is from $2000 upwards, that's like from N1,000,000 upwards.

When you guys are converting what you earn into naira just to brag try to also convert what you spend too.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:35pm On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Sometimes I wonder at the reasoning of some people. I am very sure you are squatting with someone there to be able to survive on that amount and still have change left. Do you think everyone posting here is unlearned?

Say your truth how much do you barb your hair at saloon? I am guessing $20 that's like N10,000 here whereas most average people barb their hair for less than N500 per week. You think we are stupid here?

You spend in dollars while we spend in Naira, it is not the same thing. Fuel here is about 30 cents per litre when converted so what are you talking about na. I see you converted your monthly salary to naira, is that what you use to pay for goods and services over there?

Your heating alone(monthly) can be up to $50 that's like N25,000 here to make yourself warm (it is free here)

Electricity might be like $75 a month, that's like N37,500 when converted to naira

Internet and cable is like $45 per month, that's like N22,500 whereas unlimited here is like N11K, cable from 1,500 upwards

In some apartments in NY ordinary parking fee is $300, rent insurance from $15 to $30

The average monthly rent for a one bedroom flat in NY is from $2000 upwards, that's like from N1,000,000 upwards. My sister u get brain oh very detail I expect canadian nigerians to give a detail of there earning and expenditures too let see how much remain..

When you guys are converting what you earn into naira just to brag try to also convert what you spend too.

3 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:38pm On Feb 12, 2017
See brain debate becoming informative now its 1 O in favour of the remain in nijia group

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 4:12pm On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

The average monthly rent for a one bedroom flat in NY is from $2000 upwards, that's like from N1,000,000 upwards.

Ah, now you reveal your position even further. The guy you quoted easily falls within the low-income class. A large percentage of his wages will go to covering the basic necessities of life like rent, feeding, internet, etc. What is interesting is that he is able to meet those needs, with a low-income pay!

Our big boy project manager with his 400k/m isn't faring any better - they are essentially in the same class when compared together. The needs or bills he pays with his Nigerian " middle-class" salary places him on the same level as the low-income earner in the US/Canada - and therein lies the distinction. Another difference that should be pointed out with the blue collar worker quoted above is that he will get better value for his money than the project manager. He pays for utilities like electricity, water, heating, etc and those are given to him without the hassles that the project manager goes through to get same utilities.

As a low-income earner, he does not have to look for fuel, assuming there is no scarcity, to power his generator just to get a few hours of electricity. He does not have to cycle through modems, SIM cards and ISPs just to get unlimited internet access. (BTW unlimited access in 9ja is anything but unlimited but that's story for another day) As a low-income earner in Canada, he has access to better transport and health facilities than our project manager. We can go through a laundry list of similar comparisons for days...

With the dwindling value of the naira and the associated stress of living, a middle-class pay in Nigeria translates to low-class living in the US/Canada. In fact, the translation is not accurate as the blue collar earner in the West will have more money in his pockets than the middle-class Nigerian at the end of the day.

Now if our low-income earner in the States moves up in station he will outstrip the likes of our project manager by leaps and bounds. Here is the thing, class mobility is way easier in Canada/US than in Nigeria. The opportunities abound more in Canada/US than in Nigeria and that's the point of this discussion.

15 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 4:34pm On Feb 12, 2017
Alikote:
See brain debate becoming informative now its 1 O in favour of the remain in nijia group

If the reasons for relocation are based on just current economic or financial prospects then Nigeria loses out to Canada whichever way you dice it. It is laughable when people try to argue otherwise.

Thing is, economic prospects while a critical factor, are not the only rationale for choosing to stay or relocate from 9ja. There are valid cultural and familial considerations that should be weighed before a decision like this is made. From a socio-cultural perspective, Western values and Nigerian/African values are different. The mistake many people make is that they think that the Western way of life is the only way modern life can be lived.

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Eke40seven(m): 4:42pm On Feb 12, 2017
Collyno82:

My friend stop muddling up issues. 400k salary ur talking abt is less than 800$. U talk about becoming rich in naija over night, except tru corrupt tendencies. For ur information Forbes listed our country among the ten most difficult places to do business in the word. You talk of bureaucratic bottle necks, do u no wat it will take u to register ordinary pure water business, not to talk about wat u will pass tru to get nafdac number, but in Canada once ur working u buy a house n car tru mortgage n so on. Yes y can't u pay higher taxation wen cocking gas are pipe inside ur house, water n light 24/7. Health care facility is superb, insurance is working. Yes Monaco ur talking abt is not a country is a city in France. Pls n pls stop comparing heaven with hell fire I beg u.
I shouldn't assume that you are too close minded to understand what purchasing power is. Do you know that direct conversation of exchange rate don't work in majority of instances of economic indices?
For instance, if I have a poultry and employ someone, the minimum wage in Nigeria stipulates that I can offer 18k, but I bet people will beg for half that amount. So, even if I were to follow the law, with 400k, I can employ 22 people to work every working day and for 8 hours a day! But in the advanced world, the minimum wage is about $10 on the average and that won't even get me one employee. Do you see why it's really duumb to make references to direct exchange rate as your indices in this case?
You mentioned forbes writing about how hard it is to do business in Nigeria, if only you actually read the article and noted that it referred mainly to large foreign investors/businesses.
And oga, get your facts right before coming up with arguments, Monaco is actually a COUNTRY, a sovereign city state. The principality of Monaco, and they don't only have ethnic French people as citizens, but also Monàgasque and Italians.
You can quote me anywhere, if with a N400k income, one couldn't become a success in Nigeria, you can't be a success anywhere in the world.
In all, it's a matter of perspective!

3 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:54pm On Feb 12, 2017
ApexTitan:

Ah, now you reveal your position even further. The guy you quoted easily falls within the low-income class. A large percentage of his wages will go to covering the basic necessities of life like rent, feeding, internet, etc. What is interesting is that he is able to meet those needs, with in a low-income pay!

Our big boy project manager with his 400k/m isn't faring any better - they are effectively in the same class when compared together. The needs or bills he pays with his Nigerian " middle-class" salary places him on the same level as the low-income earner in the US/Canada - and therein lies the distinction. Another difference that should be pointed out with the blue collar worker quoted above is that he will get better value for his money than the project manager. He pays for utilities like electricity, water, heating, etc and those are given to him without the hassles that the project manager goes through to get same utilities.

As a low-income earner, he does not have look for fuel, assuming there is no scarcity, to power his generator just to get a few hours of electricity. He does not have to cycle through modems, SIM cards and ISPs just to get unlimited internet access. (BTW unlimited access in 9ja is anything but unlimited but that's story for another day) As a low-income earner in Canada, he has access to better transport and health facilities than our project manager. We can go through a laundry list of similar comparisons for days...

With the dwindling value of the naira and the associated stress of living, a middle-class pay in Nigeria translates to low-class living in the US/Canada. In fact, the translation is not accurate as the blue collar earner in the West will have more money in his pockets than the middle-class Nigerian at the end of the day.

Now if our low-income earner in the States moves up in station he will outstrip the likes of our project manager by leaps and bounds. Here is the thing, class mobility is way easier in Canada/US than in Nigeria. The opportunities abound more in Canada/US than in Nigeria and that's the point of this discussion.

Why are you always looking at the worst case scenario? You mentioned "look for fuel" far too many times than appropriate in your post, please take note, we don't look for fuel every day, most times we drive into filling stations like you do and buy fuel like you do.

If you pay $50 for electricity this means you spend about N33,500 for electricity monthly, that's like 230 liters of fuel per month. Assuming I am using my generator for light, I will not need to use more than 100 litres of fuel to get constant power monthly especially if I am using a solar panel, PHCN or inverter as a substitute. I know you are not used to these terms but I am being realistic also we have light for at least 6hrs per day, in some places it is better other places are worse. States like Port Harcourt can boast of at least 12hrs/day, most oil producing States enjoy fair light supply, in bonny it is 24/7 so I don't understand why you keep insisting on running your Gen for 24/7 if you live here

When the economy was much better than this: from 1999 to 2014, especially from 2010 to 2014, the size of the middle class grew and most of them lived very well. Many bankers, Business men/women and Federal government workers spent most of their vacations abroad with their families, many could afford to spend $2000/year paying for service flats with 24/7 constant power, security, recreation Centres and so on, believe it or not some people were paying their house rent and children school fees in dollars. It is an exaggeration for you to compare their lifestyle with low income earners abroad.

My cousin who is a nurse has never gone on vacation with her kids since she relocated to US as a school leaver, she and her husband are living in a rented apartment, every dollar she spends has to be accounted for, she just bought a car to pay over a 5 year period lol.

Paying from $24,000/year upwards for a one bedroom flat to a Nigerian is simply ridiculous, this is like N12,000,000. With this kind of money you can actually build a two bedroom flat for life here with no extra charge.

Is looking for ISP now a hard task for someone to do? I am sure you also have to make a choice over there too but it's nothing to worry about, most Sims cost about 40cents or less so why should this be a problem to acquire here?

I never said US /Canada is not more developed than Nigeria, I said there are also opportunities here as well. Contrary to what you might think, Nigerians are making it here too.

3 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Eke40seven(m): 5:28pm On Feb 12, 2017
Benjamite01:
I'm sure it might be worth it for you because I'm very sure you probably never earned above 150k in Nigeria, so you have nothing to lose. It's great for you.
I have worked in a world renowned manufacturing firm where they actually care for their workers but still, I assure you that those jobs are worst than slavery and I had my documents. For you working "behind the table", 10 hours a day and earning a megrely sum of 2k in the US. Well, if you earned 400k in Nigeria and resigned with your own hands to live 'big' in the US, I'm sure you would be counting your loses by now but otherwise, your decision to go to the US might be a gain.
And please, don't forget to tell people how you run around avoiding police, or can't use hospitals (if your visa expired) or can't have a driver's licence and how you fear being caught one day.
These are stories we fail to tell people back home, and when they demand from us unnecessarily we fume with anger because we have painted a perfect picture, just one sweet Juicy part of it.
And I wonder how you cash in your 'cheques' from the bank when you are not legal, I don't understand something here though.

5 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by justwise(m): 5:31pm On Feb 12, 2017
@maternal

Sorry i have to remove your last post because of insults and name calling, there is no need for that. Pidgin2 has every right to air her views and you don't have to agree with her neither should you engage in name calling rather than presenting your own side of the argument.

3 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Schwartz: 5:37pm On Feb 12, 2017
But when you uproot yourself from a business environment you know so well, and attempt to plant yourself in a new environment, especially one that is structured and controlled, the task of success is even more challenging. But I welcomed the brunt, the fire, the baptism of starting all over again…and boy, did I suffer the pain of starting a business in the land of 'white spirits’. No old school boy networks, no existing client base, and no clear understanding of the operational mechanics of the given geographical space. One had to go back to school. One had to work on the side. One had to support his growing family.
From being Kese Jabari, a celebrity and renowned designer and label, one became just another African struggling to secure the mirage that is packaged as the American dream, in a land branded as the land of 'milk and honey'. There were moments of doubt... but the good Lord was faithful again. He blessed us, more than ever before, 'with our cup running over'.
https://www.nairaland.com/3619921/sabina-umeh-akamune-kese-jabari-mode

I have been privileged to be in 3 western countries and I tell you, except you have a job offer already waiting for you, when you relocate abroad you WILL start from the beginning. 400k per month translates to 4.8million naira per annum. No matter how expensive things have become in Nigeria with a prudent lifestyle you can save good of that money and build yourself, you can open a good business, buy land, become a landlord. All those quoting that the money is just 800$ I just laugh. Living abroad is expensive! Forget stories of people making it in 8 months. If true out of say 500 Nigerians abroad how many have been able to finish all certification exams, pass and get good paying white collar jobs? Even at that when your pay cheque is handed to you after all tax deduction how much do you pay for housing, bills etc? Tell us the truth when you live abroad can you truly save much? All the houses and cars abroad people pose with on social media its all got on credit.
If you cannot manage with 400k and save and make something good out of your life you can never succeed any where else in the world. Its not easy anywhere, that I am sure.
If you earn little then you can come abroad. A very close friend of mine lived in Lekki, drove only brand new cars. With the wau she lived we can conclude that she was a 'big girl', she sold everything and now lives abroad. She does menial jobs now. And lives in a tiny room. The rent she pays per month abroad is equivalent to what she was paying for in Lekki. That is how expensive it is to live abroad. And yes she regrets her decision even with the light, water and all the amenities available. I see so many people take this big step without calculating the risks. Its not greener on the other side.

6 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 12, 2017
justwise:
@maternal

Sorry i have to remove your last post because of insults and name calling, there is no need for that. Pidgin2 has every right to air her views and you don't have to agree with her neither should you engage in name calling rather than presenting your own side of the argument.

Thank you
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Benjamite01: 6:19pm On Feb 12, 2017
This us United State,Land of opportunities. check my Profile i earned more than 500k when i was in Nigeria, i have traveled alot. i just decided to settle down here.No police embarrassment here,and i have my own car driving it, i have never visited hospital and dont have reason to do now, and if have a reason to do it. I trust United State they will attend to u not minding ur Immigration status.but it will be on your name that u own the Government. for your information Nobody will tell u is easy anywhere in the world especially when u are relocating to where u are not use to before. Do you know if you have lived all your life in Lagos and you decided to Relocate to Abuja or Ekiti you will not find it easy at first few months. so my Brother its a matter of choice.

Eke40seven:

I'm sure it might be worth it for you because I'm very sure you probably never earned above 150k in Nigeria, so you have nothing to lose. It's great for you.
I have worked in a world renowned manufacturing firm where they actually care for their workers but still, I assure you that those jobs are worst than slavery and I had my documents. For you working "behind the table", 10 hours a day and earning a megrely sum of 2k in the US. Well, if you earned 400k in Nigeria and resigned with your own hands to live 'big' in the US, I'm sure you would be counting your loses by now but otherwise, your decision to go to the US might be a gain.
And please, don't forget to tell people how you run around avoiding police, or can't use hospitals (if your visa expired) or can't have a driver's licence and how you fear being caught one day.
These are stories we fail to tell people back home, and when they demand from us unnecessarily we fume with anger because we have painted a perfect picture, just one sweet Juicy part of it.
And I wonder how you cash in your 'cheques' from the bank when you are not legal, I don't understand something here though.

4 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 6:22pm On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Why are you always looking at the worst case scenario? You mentioned "look for fuel" far too many times than appropriate in your post, please take note, we don't look for fuel every day, most times we drive into filling stations like you do and buy fuel like you do.

If you pay $50 for electricity this means you spend about N33,500 for electricity monthly, that's like 230 liters of fuel per month assuming I am using my generator for light I will not need to use more than 100 litre of fuel to get constant power monthly especially if I am using a solar panel or inverter as a substitute. I know you are not used to these terms but I am being realistic also we have light for at least 6hrs per day on some places it is better other places are worse, States like Port Harcourt can boast of at least 12hrs/day so I don't understand why you keep insisting on running your Gen 24/7 if you live here

When the economy was much better than this: from 1999 to 2014, especially from 2010 to 2014, the size of the middle class grew and most of them lived very well. Many bankers and government workers spent most of their vacations abroad with their families, many could afford to spend $2000/year paying for service flats with 24/7 constant power, security, recreation Centre and so on. It is an exaggeration for you to compare their lifestyle with low income earners abroad.

My cousin who is a nurse has never gone on vacation with her kids since she relocated to US years ago, every dollar she spends has to be accounted for (she's married) she just bought a car on mortgage lol.

Paying from $24,000/year upwards for a one bedroom flat to a Nigerian is ridiculous, this is like N12,000,000. with this kind of money you can actually purchase a two bedroom flat for life here with no extra charge.

Is looking for ISP now a hard task to do, I am sure you also have to make a choice over there too but it's nothing to worry about, most Sims cost about 40cents or less so why should this be a problem to acquire here?

I never said US /Canada is not more developed than Nigeria, I said there are also opportunities here as well. Contrary to what you might think, Nigerians are making it here too.

Tsk tsk tsk

Forget my dashing good looks and fine boy flows, I be omo 9ja o. grin I can regale you with stories and experiences of Nigerian life till tomorrow. I have lived and worked in PH, Lagos and Abuja, now I live in Ontario and I am able to see for a fact many of the things we are discussing here. My job then also gave me the opportunity to travel to many other Nigerian states. I still have family in PH and Lagos too.

My folks in PH - Ada George area to be precise, have not had up to 12 hours of uninterrupted power supply in years. Right now they use generators to get about 4 hours of electricity daily (7-11pm), you can imagine the ruckus their neighbourhood experiences when everybody turns on their gens at night. When the perennial fuel scarcity raises its ugly head another layer of stress is added to their lives. All this is nothing compared to what many other Nigerians face.

Nobody is saying life in Nigeria is all gloom and doom. There are financially successful people there too as there are in almost every country. Problem is, things are not looking good for anyone at the moment. Even the rich are experiencing a diminishing effect on their wealth as a result of the state of the economy. They are, however, able to ride out the difficulties better than others because of how much they have.

Things may have been better in the past but that's not the case anymore. That's why my statement that middle-class pay in Nigeria now translates to low-class Western living remains valid. It is foolish to paint a rosy picture of Nigeria right now.

8 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:30pm On Feb 12, 2017
Benjamite01:
This us United State,Land of opportunities. check my Profile i earned more than 500k when i was in Nigeria, i have traveled alot. i just decided to settle down here.No police embarrassment here,and i have my own car driving it, i have never visited hospital and dont have reason to do now, and if have a reason to do it. I trust United State they will attend to u not minding ur Immigration status.but it will be on your name that u own the Government. for your information Nobody will tell u is easy anywhere in the world especially when u are relocating to where u are not use to before. Do you know if you have lived all your life in Lagos and you decided to Relocate to Abuja or Ekiti you will not find it easy at first few months. so my Brother its a matter of choice.

So you earned more than 500K per month here but you decided to relocate to US despite not having any valid immigration status and all you can now boast of is a car? I'm sure you are probably squatting with someone going by your earnings, smh

Oh my, this is even worse than I thought

2 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Benjamite01: 6:34pm On Feb 12, 2017
Thanks very much, you argue with me with facts and i am happy with that, in all at most i spent 1k for all that because i shared a 2bedroom Apartment with some one. And i am happy for the Future will be better,i wont need to share apartment again i wont need to work in a factory again. because i see our people that came in 3 to 5 years ago are living now.its just about time and no where is easy,but in some places hardwork pays than other. Trying relocate from Ekiti state to Lagos state is not easy also. so no where is easy just be ready to face challenges when u are considering relocation.

Pidgin2:

7 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:37pm On Feb 12, 2017
ApexTitan:

Tsk tsk tsk

Forget my dashing good looks and fine boy flows, I be omo 9ja o. grin I can regale you with stories and experiences of Nigerian life till tomorrow. I have lived and worked in PH, Lagos and Abuja, now I live in Ontario and I am able to see for a fact many of the things we are discussing here. My job then also gave me the opportunity to travel to many other Nigerian states. I still have family in PH and Lagos too.

My folks in PH - Ada George area to be precise, have not had up to 12 hours of uninterrupted power supply in years. Right now they use generators to get about 4 hours of electricity daily (7-11pm), you can imagine the ruckus their neighbourhood experiences when everybody turns on their gens at night. When the perennial fuel scarcity raises its ugly head another layer of stress is added to their lives. All this is nothing compared to what many other Nigerians face.

Nobody is saying life in Nigeria is all gloom and doom. There are financially successful people there too as there are in almost every country. Problem is, things are not looking good for anyone at the moment. Even the rich are experiencing a diminishing effect on their wealth as a result of the state of the economy. They are, however, able to ride out the difficulties better than others because of how much they have.

Things may have been better in the past but that's not the case anymore. That's why my statement that middle-class pay in Nigeria now translates to low-class Western living remains valid. It is foolish to paint a rosy picture of Nigeria right now.

Even America was in recession a few years ago yet they bounced back so why do I get the feeling that you think we will never come out of this? So to you being in recession at the moment is now a valid reason to make a long-term decision like relocating forever the best way forward
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Benjamite01: 6:42pm On Feb 12, 2017
Yes did, check my profile and u seen how far i have traveled and if i dont earn that much how can i make it to those places. you know in Nigeria No long things. Policies change at anytime people lose job anyhow and if you have your opportunity u might decided to stay back and invest or seek other alternative.for me i dont regret my action but i wont tell you is easy oooo. But it will worth it at the end. But i wont relocate to any part Europe oo with this type of my immigration Status ooo.

Pidgin2:

So you earned more than 500K per month here but you decided to relocate to US despite not having any valid immigration status and all you can now boast of is a car? I'm sure you are probably squatting with someone going by your earnings, smh

Oh my, this is even worse than I thought

3 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:46pm On Feb 12, 2017
Benjamite01:
Thanks very much, you argue with me with facts and i am happy with that, in all at most i spent 1k for all that because i shared a 2bedroom Apartment with some one. And i am happy for the Future will be better,i wont need to share apartment again i wont need to work in a factory again. because i see our people that came in 3 to 5 years ago are living now.its just about time and no where is easy,but in some places hardwork pays than other. Trying relocate from Ekiti state to Lagos state is not easy also. so no where is easy just be ready to face challenges when u are considering relocation.

Well done brother, you earn $2000 and you pay $1000/month to share rent. My brother such low rent sef I am sure you live far from the city center. If you convert your rent it is N500,000 to share room per month

You pay light, water, cable, Internet, phone bill, tax, food, you buy fuel etc too. I know it is not easy but in your initial post you quickly converted your earnings into naira knowing fully well that there are a lot of people who are very naive and once they see such figures they will not mind taking the risk of dying in order to earn such amount as an illegal immigrant(even crossing the Mediterranean Sea), please consider these folks before you try to give certain impressions about your life there

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) / Which European Country Can I Travel To With 3m? / Onitsha Lockdown Relaxation: What Upper Iweka Looks Like- Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.