Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,930 members, 7,803,048 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. (17938 Views)

How To Drive The 2019 G-wagon SUV Through The Mud Explained By Mercedes / 2018 Independence Drive: The Classic Cars That Graced Event (Photos) / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by ManTiger(m): 7:19am On Feb 10, 2017
After driving Honda Irumole for years, my friend tasted the power of ordinary Camry 2.2.0 and he testified to the sweetness of the car. No biggie in manual transmission though.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by Josephnice: 7:33am On Feb 10, 2017
this is so so education, kudos brother
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by femi4: 7:49am On Feb 10, 2017
KingRex1:
Manual is much more fun to drive than auto.
Ofcus you'll never understand it u can't drive a manual.

Dual clutch transmission is my favorite tho, a combo of both.. But on few new cars
Typical lies to justify your love for manual. I started with manual but sold the damn thing after tasting Auto xmission.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by Nobody: 7:50am On Feb 10, 2017
Manual keeps you focused on the road, automatic is for lazy drivers. Infact driving auto is not driving. As in I can enter the car, put it on auto and move. Not impressive, u don't even need a driving school for auto drive.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by Harwoyeez(m): 7:51am On Feb 10, 2017
Manual is cool but I can't drive it again in a place like Lagos after I've driven it for years.... Muscle pull don show me grin angry
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by matrixme(m): 7:59am On Feb 10, 2017
Op, wake up. This is 2017 abeg. Driverless vehicles and flying cars have been invented already. Don't get stuck with the past.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by TheVictorious(m): 7:59am On Feb 10, 2017
5) Theft

If you own a manual car, car theft shouldn't be on your list of worries. With the great ease in driving the automatic transmission has brought with it, today's generation so large in number feel there's no need to learn the manual transmission and as a result there's an higher demand for the automatic transmission than the manual. This has also brought down the rate of manual car theft - you can't go stealing a manual car just because you can drive an automatic transmission. No, it doesn't work that way, best try the other way around.

Sounds like: It's better to buy slippers instead of shoe, so nobody will need to steal my footwear!

6) Reduced Distraction

The manual car loves to keep her occupants engaged to avoid unnecessary distractions like staring at other girls(Cars), making phone calls, snap chatting, tweeting or texting. She gives you no choice except if you are to super of a being to keep texting or tweeting while upshifting or downshifting and also stepping on and off the clutch, break or accelerator. The same cannot be said of its rival, the automatic.

Meaning that it's more risky to handle if there is an urgent need for distraction. Mind you most times distraction is not what you willingly bargain for, that's why it's distraction; something that suddenly takes your attention without your notice!

7) No borrowing allowed.

Nowadays, we pretty well know that everyone can practically drive an automatic transmission but not just anyone can drive a manual car and yes, its an added advantage for car owners who own a manual car - especially if you have friends who borrow more than they give.

Bad friend: Bro what's up. My chick is coming over today - can I borrow your car to just drive her around.
Me: Sure thing, I'm your man. Can you drive manual?
Bad friend: Chai, no o
Me: Eeyah, looks like you will be hiring a Keke.

sounds like: I'll prefer not to live in a duplex even if I have the money, because there will be much pressure from friends that will be coming to live with me; so I'll rather manage myself in a one room self contain and tell them I don't have space. Smart right?

9) Dead Battery Push Start

This is one of the unique aspects of a manual vehicle that I find thrilling all the time. It seems hilarious that you could bring a dead car back to life but in every sense its just amazing. So, how do you push start a car?

- Start the ignition like you normally do.
- Put the gear in neutral.
- Get 2 or 3 people to help push the car.
- Once your car is in constant motion, press down the clutch and shift to gear 2.
- Lift your foot off the clutch and step on the gas/accelerator.
Off you go, that wasn't so hard right!

Lool you expect someone to go through all these stress, if there's another alternative. Automatic all the way

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by NemzySeries(m): 8:11am On Feb 10, 2017
wateva advantage manual av over auto, d fact is auto has come to stay....even frm d dayz of Mercedes-Benz 200 na still d auto version my papa buy
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by agarawu23(m): 8:41am On Feb 10, 2017
Team manual cool
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by SalamRushdie: 8:50am On Feb 10, 2017
ogawisdom:
grin. No reason except u re a taxi man or u wanna become one soon or may be u dnt like d comfort n luxury of an auto gear or better still u are poor and can't afford an automatic car grin grin grin

I won't accept a manual car even if it is free make i come dey clutch dey change gear when I ve better things to think n do angry angry angry

You clearly know nothing about cars ..Are you aware that 90 percent of ferraris use manual gearing ...Are you aware that there is no automatic transmission car on the formula 1 circuit ...Manual is for enthusiast and do you know you require a higher IQ to drive a manual car seamlessly.. please it's very shallow to think poverty is the only reason from someone to drive a manual car when most people can't even afford a great manual transmission car

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by KingRex1(m): 8:52am On Feb 10, 2017
femi4:
Typical lies to justify your love for manual. I started with manual but sold the damn thing after tasting Auto xmission.
Different strokes man.. Try the dual clutch.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by Kobicove(m): 8:52am On Feb 10, 2017
chumakk:
Nigerians like suffering so much that even when an easier way shows up they will still prefer to suffer

Manual cars put you in control of the car especially if you're driving on the highway and need to overtake a car that is traveling equally fast and you have a very short 'window' within which to do it
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by Horlufemi(m): 9:20am On Feb 10, 2017
the world is going self-driving you still want to stress yourself. it's OK contunu
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by GreatManBee: 9:37am On Feb 10, 2017
MotoringNigeria:
The manual transmission or stick shift as we call it is far back predated and was once the standard style in all vehicles; unfortunately, the rapid advancement in technology threatens to put it to extinction. Automatic transmissions have generally become the choice of the majority, finding a manual transmission in just about any car is like finding a needle in a haystack, but even with the endangerment the manual transmission faces, I don't think it will obliterated anytime soon.

Here are 10 reason why you should learn how to drive the manual car;

1) Low Cost Of Maintenance Or Repair.

A manual car like its rival requires continuous maintenance but unlike its rival, its cost of maintenance and repairs is significantly less. If you don't understand, go back to your previous high school and enroll to study demand and supply.

2) Fuel Economy

Cars with manual transmissions always get better fuel economy than cars with automatic. Manual cars have been known to save drivers between 5% and 15% on their fuel costs. The manual car is more lighter and normally comes with more gears than their automatic counterparts, the aftermath is that you’ll get more kilometres out of the petrol you pump in than you would with an automatic.

3) Control

Automatic transmissions are designed to choose the best gear for any situation but they tend to shift to higher gears and waste engine power which doesn’t allow drivers to quickly anticipate an oncoming condition. Manual transmissions give drivers greater control over the vehicle. Am sure most of us if not all have seen Fast n Furious(The movie, 1-7) and was wowed by the way the likes of Vin Diesel, Paul Walker(R.I.P), Lusacris and Tyrese felt totally in control - sorry scratch that, they were in total control and the cars were so submissive like watching Fifty Shades Of Grey. I mean what feeling could possible beat that!!!

4) Power

The transmission of a car either automatic or manual, allows the vehicle to change gears, thereby transferring power from the engine to the drive axle. This it does in the most efficient way by varying the gear ratio. Lower gears are accompanied with increased power and less speed. Higher gears, on the other hand, are accompanied with less power and increased speed and it defines how cars responds for any given situation. An automatic transmission is designed to shift in a way that doesn’t exactly use all of an engine’s power while manual transmissions tend to take advantage of more of an engine’s power thanks to more specific and exact transmission shifts.

5) Theft

If you own a manual car, car theft shouldn't be on your list of worries. With the great ease in driving the automatic transmission has brought with it, today's generation so large in number feel there's no need to learn the manual transmission and as a result there's an higher demand for the automatic transmission than the manual. This has also brought down the rate of manual car theft - you can't go stealing a manual car just because you can drive an automatic transmission. No, it doesn't work that way, best try the other way around.

6) Reduced Distraction

The manual car loves to keep her occupants engaged to avoid unnecessary distractions like staring at other girls(Cars), making phone calls, snap chatting, tweeting or texting. She gives you no choice except if you are to super of a being to keep texting or tweeting while upshifting or downshifting and also stepping on and off the clutch, break or accelerator. The same cannot be said of its rival, the automatic.

7) No borrowing allowed.

Nowadays, we pretty well know that everyone can practically drive an automatic transmission but not just anyone can drive a manual car and yes, its an added advantage for car owners who own a manual car - especially if you have friends who borrow more than they give.

Bad friend: Bro what's up. My chick is coming over today - can I borrow your car to just drive her around.

cool Keep and feel the classics

If you are a lover of classic and cool cars - old but gold as I love to call it. It's assumed you already know how to drive a manual transmission, if you don't, well too bad they don't come in automatics.

This is one of the unique aspects of a manual vehicle that I find thrilling all the time. It seems hilarious that you could bring a dead car back to life but in every sense its just amazing. So, how do you push start a car?

- Once your car is in constant motion, press down the clutch and shift to gear 2.

10) Less Expensive

With all the above listed advantages of a manual car over an automatic car, someone is probably thinking of getting one but feels it will leave an indelible insignia on his/her bank accounts - well, that not something you have to worry about. Choosing to buy a manual car over an automatic transmission will literarily save you a $1000 less (Do the conversion yourself). You will also like to know that not all manual cars sell less than their automatic models, examples include BMWs - which is often same price as the automatic, GM vehicles such as the 2013 Buick Regal GS and 2013 Cadillac CTS-V. Furthermore, records have shown that not all automatics came along with their rival during the production process, 67 percent of 2013 model-year cars came only as automatics...what a spoiler!

It takes dedicated time, patience and effort to learn the joys of stick shift driving. Yes, maybe for the first week you'll feel its effects on your joints but once you get used to it - you will become a pro in no time and never want to stop driving.

DISCLAIMER: Motoring Nigeria isn't responsible for your actions after reading this article, any actions carried out after reading this article is solely your responsibility. Read responsibly!!!

Should you decide to learn how to drive a manual transmission, follow our 3 step guides below;
> Know your cockpit ( http://www.motoringnigeria.com/2016/05/how-to-drive-manual-transmissionstick.html)
> Get moving ( http://www.motoringnigeria.com/2016/05/how-to-drive-manual-transmissionstick_20.html)
> Stopping and reverse ( http://www.motoringnigeria.com/2016/06/how-to-drive-manual-transmissionstick.html)

Please do leave your comments in the section below.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by uvalued(m): 9:51am On Feb 10, 2017
MotoringNigeria:
The manual transmission or stick shift as we call it is far back predated and was once the standard style in all vehicles; unfortunately, the rapid advancement in technology threatens to put it to extinction. Automatic transmissions have generally become the choice of the majority, finding a manual transmission in just about any car is like finding a needle in a haystack, but even with the endangerment the manual transmission faces, I don't think it will obliterated anytime soon.

Here are 10 reason why you should learn how to drive the manual car;

1) Low Cost Of Maintenance Or Repair.

A manual car like its rival requires continuous maintenance but unlike its rival, its cost of maintenance and repairs is significantly less. If you don't understand, go back to your previous high school and enroll to study demand and supply.

2) Fuel Economy

Cars with manual transmissions always get better fuel economy than cars with automatic. Manual cars have been known to save drivers between 5% and 15% on their fuel costs. The manual car is more lighter and normally comes with more gears than their automatic counterparts, the aftermath is that you’ll get more kilometres out of the petrol you pump in than you would with an automatic.

3) Control

Automatic transmissions are designed to choose the best gear for any situation but they tend to shift to higher gears and waste engine power which doesn’t allow drivers to quickly anticipate an oncoming condition. Manual transmissions give drivers greater control over the vehicle. Am sure most of us if not all have seen Fast n Furious(The movie, 1-7) and was wowed by the way the likes of Vin Diesel, Paul Walker(R.I.P), Lusacris and Tyrese felt totally in control - sorry scratch that, they were in total control and the cars were so submissive like watching Fifty Shades Of Grey. I mean what feeling could possible beat that!!!

4) Power

The transmission of a car either automatic or manual, allows the vehicle to change gears, thereby transferring power from the engine to the drive axle. This it does in the most efficient way by varying the gear ratio. Lower gears are accompanied with increased power and less speed. Higher gears, on the other hand, are accompanied with less power and increased speed and it defines how cars responds for any given situation. An automatic transmission is designed to shift in a way that doesn’t exactly use all of an engine’s power while manual transmissions tend to take advantage of more of an engine’s power thanks to more specific and exact transmission shifts.

5) Theft

6) Reduced Distraction

7) No borrowing allowed.

cool Keep and feel the classics

If you are a lover of classic and cool cars - old but gold as I love to call it. It's assumed you already know how to drive a manual transmission, if you don't, well too bad they don't come in automatics.

10) Less Expensive

With all the above listed advantages of a manual car over an automatic car, someone is probably thinking of getting one but feels it will leave an indelible insignia on his/her bank accounts - well, that not something you have to worry about. Choosing to buy a manual car over an automatic transmission will literarily save you a $1000 less (Do the conversion yourself). You will also like to know that not all manual cars sell less than their automatic models, examples include BMWs - which is often same price as the automatic, GM vehicles such as the 2013 Buick Regal GS and 2013 Cadillac CTS-V. Furthermore, records have shown that not all automatics came along with their rival during the production process, 67 percent of 2013 model-year cars came only as automatics...what a spoiler!

It takes dedicated time, patience and effort to learn the joys of stick shift driving. Yes, maybe for the first week you'll feel its effects on your joints but once you get used to it - you will become a pro in no time and never want to stop driving.

DISCLAIMER: Motoring Nigeria isn't responsible for your actions after reading this article, any actions carried out after reading this article is solely your responsibility. Read responsibly!!!

Should you decide to learn how to drive a manual transmission, follow our 3 step guides below;
> Know your cockpit ( http://www.motoringnigeria.com/2016/05/how-to-drive-manual-transmissionstick.html)
> Get moving ( http://www.motoringnigeria.com/2016/05/how-to-drive-manual-transmissionstick_20.html)
> Stopping and reverse ( http://www.motoringnigeria.com/2016/06/how-to-drive-manual-transmissionstick.html)

Please do leave your comments in the section below.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by tokzy09: 10:11am On Feb 10, 2017
Afromalaika:

UK is old-school u know?

UK is not old school, it just a basic principle of driving , there are two of driving licence in the UK. B1 is manual licence - means you can drive both manual and automatic car while B licence - means you can only drive an automatic. Notice: When a Police officer stop you while driving sometime check what type of driving licence you obtained.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by EXICON(m): 10:12am On Feb 10, 2017
Chai!

You finished the op
TheVictorious:

5) Theft

Sounds like: It's better to buy slippers instead of shoe, so nobody will need to steal my footwear!

6) Reduced Distraction

Meaning that it's more risky to handle if there is an urgent need for distraction. Mind you most times distraction is not what you willingly bargain for, that's why it's distraction; something that suddenly takes your attention without your notice!

7) No borrowing allowed.

sounds like: I'll prefer not to live in a duplex even if I have the money, because there will be much pressure from friends that will be coming to live with me; so I'll rather manage myself in a one room self contain and tell them I don't have space. Smart right?

Lool you expect someone to go through all these stress, if there's another alternative. Automatic all the way
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by Lagusta(m): 10:20am On Feb 10, 2017
KingRex1:
Manual is much more fun to drive than auto.
Ofcus you'll never understand it u can't drive a manual.

Dual clutch transmission is my favorite tho, a combo of both.. But on few new cars

I think you're talking about the tiptronic transmission.....
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by mybestlove(m): 10:22am On Feb 10, 2017
You are wrong here. Manual drive is still in existence 100%.
It is America that prefers automatic drive because of their motorization and life style
Europe till today drive mainly manual cars. Even some of the SUVs in Europe are manuals.
It's a matter of choice. Automatic drive in Nigeria, to my understanding, is due to certain factors like traffic, ignorance and misconceptions. Apart from these there's no way you can compare automatic drive to manual drive.
Manual drive is easier to maintain, gives more performance and keeps you engaged in driving.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by KingRex1(m): 10:25am On Feb 10, 2017
Lagusta:

I think you're talking about the tiptronic transmission.....
Nah, they're much different.
DC shifts faster too
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by Lagusta(m): 10:29am On Feb 10, 2017
Afromalaika:

UK is old-school u know?

That means Germany too is old school, they still make manual cars: 6 and 7 speed manual.....
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by Lagusta(m): 10:30am On Feb 10, 2017
KingRex1:

Nah, they're much different.
DC shifts faster too

Thanks boss, just checked, no wonder the Honda I drove always shifted smoothly, not like other auto trannies......
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by Lagusta(m): 10:34am On Feb 10, 2017
I have driven both auto and manual and I am still proud to say that I love them manual....

Manual transmission takes skill and practice no doubt, but when you get the hang of it, you'll surely enjoy it. Maybe because I'm a car/speed enthusiast shaa....

If that auto tranny should fail in this recession you'll understand.....

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by ogawisdom(m): 10:56am On Feb 10, 2017
SalamRushdie:

You clearly know nothing about cars ..Are you aware that 90 percent of ferraris use manual gearing ...Are you aware that there is no automatic transmission car on the formula 1 circuit ...Manual is for enthusiast and do you know you require a higher IQ to drive a manual car seamlessly.. please it's very shallow to think poverty is the only reason from someone to drive a manual car when most people can't even afford a great manual transmission car

This is a truck load of s.hit, I prefer automatic gear and it's clearly an upgraded way of driving get dt into ur thick skull. Ur Ferrari example is pointless, when u prefer analog to digital then u need to have ur head examined
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by Lagusta(m): 11:04am On Feb 10, 2017
ogawisdom:

This is a truck load of s.hit, I prefer automatic gear and it's clearly an upgraded way of driving get dt into ur thick skull. Ur Ferrari example is pointless, when u prefer analog to digital then u need to have ur head examined

Please go and sleep, you're displaying ignorance of premium quality here....

Peugeot released 301 in 2015, dubbed "car of the year$ at the time, and yep, there are more manual variants....

I pray make God bless me, I want my next car to be Peugeot 407, 6speed manual....

Have you driven a 6speed manual on the ogbomoso-ilorin expressway before? It's like heaven you know......
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by uzolexis(f): 11:45am On Feb 10, 2017
kolnel:
Manual transmissions are definitely going into extinction
Like is about comfort
Why using my brain in lieu of brain box of the car when I can occupy my brain with sth else

In Nigeria maybe, but in Europe automatic cars are rare, manual is very common.

chumakk:
Nigerians like suffering so much that even when an easier way shows up they will still prefer to suffer

This has nothing to do with Nigerians, Europeans who manufacture cars use manual mostly.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by SalamRushdie: 11:55am On Feb 10, 2017
ogawisdom:

I told you that you don't know shit about cars so shut up ..So Ur idea about automatic and manual is digital and analogue grin grin . I am not suprised I meet people like you everyday sha ...you clearly don't even know what a car transmission is and how it even works
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by ogawisdom(m): 11:58am On Feb 10, 2017
Lagusta:

Please go and sleep, you're displaying ignorance of premium quality here....

Peugeot released 301 in 2015, dubbed "car of the year$ at the time, and yep, there are more manual variants....

I pray make God bless me, I want my next car to be Peugeot 407, 6speed manual....

Have you driven a 6speed manual on the ogbomoso-ilorin expressway before? It's like heaven you know......

When ppl are talking abt cars dt drive themselves and u are still talking abt manual gini tongue tongue tongue

Make I just free u n ur choice some ppl r jst like dt always thinking frm their Anu*
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by Lagusta(m): 12:02pm On Feb 10, 2017
ogawisdom:

When ppl are talking abt cars dt drive themselves and u are still talking abt manual gini tongue tongue tongue

Make I just free u n ur choice some ppl r jst like dt always thinking frm their Anu*

The richest people in the world still use analogue watches, dress simple and have sport cars with manual trannies or chauffeurs that drive them in limos, and those limos are old with archaic auto trannies with torque converters....

Ogawisdom, where do you belong??
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by Lionofdjungle: 12:10pm On Feb 10, 2017
Anybody who can drive a manual car can equally drive an automatic one but someone trained to drive an automatic car can never drive a manual car. He has to go through the rigours of learning how to drive a manual car again. I remember when I was learning how to drive in a driving school, some of those who came there had already known how to drive an automatic car but they can't drive manual cars. The summary is that if you want to learn driving, learn driving with a manual car not an automatic car.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by sekem: 1:42pm On Feb 10, 2017
Nonsense

The only reason why I will learn to drive manual is just for the residual knowledge and those just-in-case moments.

Other than that, just give me my automatic transmission Any time anywhere abeg

Our igbo people don talk am say dem no dey carry suffery suffery take boast
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. by ogawisdom(m): 2:15pm On Feb 10, 2017
SalamRushdie:

I told you that you don't know shit about cars so shut up ..So Ur idea about automatic and manual is digital and analogue grin grin . I am not suprised I meet people like you everyday sha ...you clearly don't even know what a car transmission is and how it even works

if i hear manual for ur mouth again ........................ angry angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ford's EcoSport Sets New Guinness Record For World's Largest Billboard In Spain / 5 Best Selling Cars Of All Time - All Still In Production / Hyundai's Unveils First Mass-Produced Electric Bus "Elec City"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.