Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,773 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo (992 Views)

Oluwo Installs Emmytex Martins Emeka As Eze Ndigbo Of Iwoland Today (Pictures) / Henry Chibueze Onwughalu Is Dead (Eze Ndigbo In China Dies) / Izuchukwu Nwajiaku Dies In Malaysia (Eze Ndigbo 1 Of Malaysia) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo by villagecraft: 7:42am On Feb 09, 2017
WHY RIVERS STATE INDIGENES HATE IGBOS

By Anayo M. Nwosu

Mazi Kiwe left Nnewi in 1927 with his maternal uncle to Port Harcourt to learn carpentry.

He served his master for seven good years before he was "settled" or freed to start his own workshop.

Igwe Ocha was renamed Port Harcourt by the colonial government.

It was the main port for export of slaves and palm produce.

Many warriors in the hinterlands had their human barns or warehouses at Igwe Ocha where they would keep human beings kidnapped from their towns in the mainland and gradually be selling them into slavery to the Europeans.

The big slave merchants have empowered buying agents who have gangs of strong men moving round the towns to kidnap able-bodied men and women for onward movement to Igwe Ocha for sales.

Some unfortunate slavery victims were beaten to submission while many died as they resisted being captured.

Relatives were known to have conspired to sell their fellow siblings into slavery in other to inherit the victims' wives or land; or out of sheer jealousy or envy.

On that fateful evening, Mazi Kiwe greeted Pa Douglas Lookman as usual and steadied his attention on his chisel as he worked on chairs he must deliver to a client the next day.

His customer was a temperamental type who had paid upfront for the funiture delivery.

"Pa Douglas, I'm so busy as you can see and cannot play drought now, I have an urgent delivery of a pair of chairs to make tomorrow morning" Kiwe told his older friend.

But Douglas didn't come to play drought that evening.

He had found Kiwe very trustworthy enough to tell him his well guarded secret.

He left to return the next day.

"Kiwe my son", Pa Douglas began, "I have observed you for some years now and have come to trust you". Kiwe was confused as he had never seen his old friend in such a sober mood.

"I could tell from your accent that you are from Otolo Nnewi" Kiwe was shocked by such allusion as they had never discussed his village before this time.

Kiwe was particularly surprised because everybody in the yard knew that Pa Douglas hated Igbo people.

Pa Douglas openly would rain invectives on Igbo race on slightest provocation hence making most Igbo co-tenants to avoid him.

"I know you are shocked by my statement, don't be because my mother was from Otolo and I can tell all the dialects in Nnewi", he continued.

"Who are you Pa Douglas?" Kiwe charged. "I will never listen to you until you reveal your real identity, perhaps you are okara madu okara muo or superhuman".

"Is Dim Ohachie still alive?" Kiwe's skin instantly grew goose pimples.

Every Nnewi youth was rattled upon hearing that name. The hearing of the of name "Dim Ohachi" could make a sleeping man wake up and scale a fence for safety.

"Dim Ohachie was my uncle, he sold me into slavery; I'm from Okpuno Nnewichi Nnewi", Pa Douglas said and started crying.

"Why didn't you go back when slavery was abolished by the colonial government? You can go back now" Kiwe advised.

"I can never go back to Nnewi; he will kill me if he hears that I returned; not after acquiring my father's land, palm trees and breadfruits.

"Besides, Dim Ohachie was onyemuo na afu uzo or a living evil spirit who has turned grasses and roots into his messengers.

"How else can I explain the method he used to capture me and sold me into slavery?

"I can vividly recall that he sent for me and I arrived at his house but what happened thereafter and how I ended up at Igwe Ocha, I could not remember till date.

"I was not the only one he sold from our village; after the ban on slavery and our eventual freedom, some settled in Ikwerre while I decided to live in Okirika.

"My real name is Anaka and my dead father's name is Nwokekeke. I had to change my names to Douglas Lookman to break away from my past.

"So my son, you can see why many of us were betrayed and sold by our relations from our various Igbo towns hate you and the children of our wicked relations.

"I have related my story to my children and have urged them to avenge my humiliation because an injury to one is an injury to all", Pa Douglas ended with a heart full of vengeance.

Until the whole Igbo people in the hinterlands openly and genuinely apologize to our brothers in Ikwerre, Obiakpor, Okirika, Port Harcourt and to those inhabiting the creeks of Rivers state, their hatred and inclination to have a pound of flesh on Igbos in the main land shall never abate.

Their ancestors told them of the atrocities perpetrated against them by their relations who sold them off into slavery in the most callous way.

The heartless seizure of Igbo landed properties by Rivers people during and after Biafran war as "abandoned properties" was in retaliation of the injustice suffered by their ancestors.

The mindless taking of the abandoned properties belonging to the Igbo's was considered a tit for tat for loss of land in the Igbo mainland by their forefathers to the greedy relatives and slave merchants.

The Igbo leaders shouldn't gloss over the injustices of the past.

Apology needs to be tendered.

Who knows? Some of our brothers, upon genuine appeasement, might be touched to return the seized properties of their fellow Biafrans.

With a genuine reconciliation, Rumuokoro and other Igbo cities corrupted with "R" prefix by post-civil war government of Rivers state may be changed to their Igbo identity.

Truth be told, our forefathers were very very mean to our brothers.(copied)
Re: Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo by RedboneSmith(m): 8:56am On Feb 09, 2017
The point here being that Ikwerre people are descendants of Igbo slaves, and are still angry with Igbo people because of that?

You know the originator of this article doesn't know what he is talking about, right?

1 Like

Re: Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo by iSlayer: 1:55pm On Feb 09, 2017
Nigeria is a bastard!
Re: Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo by Cire80: 2:44pm On Feb 09, 2017
RedboneSmith:
The point here being that Ikwerre people are descendants of Igbo slaves, and are still angry with Igbo people because of that?

You know the originator of this article doesn't know what he is talking about, right?
Don't mind them. Behold another hypothesis. Soon an experiment will be carried out on it and it becomes a theory then a fact.
Re: Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo by ChinenyeN(m): 3:31pm On Feb 09, 2017
What did I just read? Is this supposed to be some random anecdote or an actual journalistic report? It seems like the former to me.

1 Like

Re: Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo by Igboid: 7:52pm On Feb 09, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Haven't you been advised to stick to Igala and Anioma history?
Re: Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo by Igboid: 7:54pm On Feb 09, 2017
OP, funny write up.
I'm sure there are families from those parts whose stories were like you narrated but they were mainly in the minority amongst minorities.
Ndiigbo owe no one any apology, we did no one wrong, but they did us many wrong.
Re: Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo by Probz(m): 8:21pm On Feb 09, 2017
Igboid:

There's nothing not true about what he said though.

1 Like

Re: Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo by RedboneSmith(m): 8:38pm On Feb 09, 2017
Igboid:

Haven't you been advised to stick to Ogidi Anambra history?

Edited: The moment I replied this piece of pettiness from you I regretted it. You are not dumb enough not to see that the original post is nonsense. Should have just ignored your attention-seeking ass.

1 Like

Re: Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo by Igboid: 9:33pm On Feb 09, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Edited: The moment I replied this piece of pettiness from you I regretted it. You are not dumb enough not to see that the original post is nonsense. Should have just ignored your attention-seeking ass.
grin grin
Ndo
Re: Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo by Dhugal: 10:32pm On Feb 09, 2017
Igboid:

grin grin
Ndo
RedboneSmith:

Igboid:

grin grin
Ndo
You two cut it out,no dick-measuring contest here.
This post is utter falsehood and crap and should be gutted.
Where is one to start with this piece of nonsense sef?
Firstly,engaging in slaving,excepting those who had committed abominations against the Earth,was in itself an abomination both to Ana and Edo in Nnewi,not to talk of slaving of blood kin.No one willfully engaged in slave trade then.
Bringing in Dim Ohachi............smh.
As he would say,k'anyi bia o
Re: Why Rivers People Hate Ndigbo by bigfrancis21: 4:47pm On Feb 10, 2017
Dhugal:

You two cut it out,no dick-measuring contest here.
This post is utter falsehood and crap and should be gutted.
Where is one to start with this piece of nonsense sef?
Firstly,engaging in slaving,excepting those who had committed abominations against the Earth,was in itself an abomination both to Ana and Edo in Nnewi,not to talk of slaving of blood kin.No one willfully engaged in slave trade then.
Bringing in Dim Ohachi............smh.
As he would say,k'anyi bia o

While your story may be true, it may relate specifically to a few settlers from the hinterland in the Rivers area. Towards the close of the slave trade, many Igbo slaves destined to be sold did not make it out of bight of biafra, many of them settled in the Niger Delta areas from Ikwerre areas (upland) down to the creeks (Bonny). The Ikwerre-Igbo issue is not really about slavery but a political battle/movement.

(1) (Reply)

Outcast (OSU) In Igbo Land? ( Check The Oring,read) / Aare Ona Kakanfo: Tinubu Congratulates Gani Adams / History Of Otan Ayegbaju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.