Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,373 members, 7,781,045 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:00 AM

Java Pragramming (help) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Java Pragramming (help) (1283 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Java Pragramming (help) by jumaian(m): 3:06pm On Feb 09, 2017
Can some body please recommend the best IT school to study Java Programming for me? Or If you have a good Java programmer and you wish to coach and get paid, based in Lagos. Contact me and lets talk about it.
Re: Java Pragramming (help) by ChinenyeN(m): 7:27pm On Feb 09, 2017
The best IT school in my opinion is the open Internet. YouTube can be your best friend for something like this. There are plenty of videos to get you through basic, intermediate and advanced concepts.
Re: Java Pragramming (help) by FrankLampard: 8:52pm On Feb 09, 2017
ChinenyeN:
The best IT school in my opinion is the open Internet. YouTube can be your best friend for something like this. There are plenty of videos to get you through basic, intermediate and advanced concepts.

What about Aptech and NIIT
Re: Java Pragramming (help) by ChinenyeN(m): 9:20pm On Feb 09, 2017
FrankLampard:
What about Aptech and NIIT

Honestly, I believe everything has its time, place and reason, but for fields such as IT and computer science, sometimes those reasons may not even be necessary.

If it is just to learn programming and programming languages, I will always recommend that someone take the self-taught route as opposed to incurring any institutional fees.

If it is for the academic pursuit or if someone wanted to learn computer science and IT, but did not have access to resources, then I might recommend an institution. For example, robotics is a specialized field and may require understanding of mathematics, electrical engineering and computer science. Someone may be able to learn those independently, but would need the resources of an institution (such as access to hardware and guidance) to help them put it together as well as understand the current industry practices and trends.

But ultimately, it remains possible to learn about IT and computer science on your own. It may seem more daunting, because you don't have the same immediate guidance that is provided by a program, but it is still doable, thanks to the open nature of the Internet.
Re: Java Pragramming (help) by olayinkasaheed(m): 9:37pm On Feb 09, 2017
If one is to learn through internet, how can one go About it?
Re: Java Pragramming (help) by ChinenyeN(m): 10:12pm On Feb 09, 2017
olayinkasaheed:
If one is to learn through internet, how can one go About it?

That would depend on one's main objective. The IT world is the world of many solutions to one problem.

If the objective is to simply become a programmer, then YouTube, PDF documents, a working computer/laptop with compilers and interpreters and dedication. After all, no one is coming to check behind you to see if you're learning programming. So you need to do the self-help yourself.

YouTube had provided the most open tutorial platform to date, and if one is learning a commonly used, open source language, then I can guarantee that they will find various YouTube tutorials that will guide them through various overviews of the language features.

PDFs are fast becoming the gold standard for reading material when it comes to being a better programmer. Many books have a PDF format, some are freely available. In most cases, you can find PDFs that (though a bit outdated) are still relevant reference materials for the version of the language one is learning.

Nowadays, instead of having to acquire an expensive mainframe machine, one can make use of simple computers and even laptops to further their programming endeavors. The laptop does not even have to be new. Just as long as long as it fits the needed specifications to run whichever OS you need, then it would be fine.

Dedication is important. With the lack of a program or an instructor for guidance, it becomes one's own responsibility to ensure that they learn what is needed. In many cases, the most effective way to go about it would be to give oneself programming projects, starting with simple projects and increasing the complexity overtime. If one is not dedicated enough, then they will end up giving up on their solo projects due to lack of guidance. Sometimes, this may even end up in their giving up on programming altogether.

Lastly, time. Always recognize that time is necessary. Even the more recognized institutions have their programs set up for an average of two years. Anyone going that route should use those two years as their own self-taught benchmark.

The Internet has a lot of answers. So, research is also necessary. NL programming section, StackOverflow and Google will quickly become one's best friends.

2 Likes

Re: Java Pragramming (help) by asalimpo(m): 10:18pm On Feb 10, 2017
ChinenyeN:

Honestly, I believe everything has its time, place and reason, but for fields such as IT and computer science, sometimes those reasons may not even be necessary.

If it is just to learn programming and programming languages, I will always recommend that someone take the self-taught route as opposed to incurring any institutional fees.

If it is for the academic pursuit or if someone wanted to learn computer science and IT, but did not have access to resources, then I might recommend an institution. For example, robotics is a specialized field and may require understanding of mathematics, electrical engineering and computer science. Someone may be able to learn those independently, but would need the resources of an institution (such as access to hardware and guidance) to help them put it together as well as understand the current industry practices and trends.

But ultimately, it remains possible to learn about IT and computer science on your own. It may seem more daunting, because you don't have the same immediate guidance that is provided by a program, but it is still doable, thanks to the open nature of the Internet.
Good point. Actually you can learn anything on your own. Surgery, medicine, robotics, brain surgery, law Architecture,nuclear physics etc!!
I know it seems weird and not true but you can. For others it will just be harder and more expensive.
But for the things that are book based - many fields are, you can learn on your own too.
But it is a mind game. You need to know how to motivate yourself, and eat that bitter leaf (unpleasant subjects). School will motivate you by exams , and a schedule, and deadlines, and lecturers who have years of experience but that's one route. If you can really motivate yourself, IT IS VERY HARD , you can do it.
There's a guy on youtube who studies MIT's 4 year computer science curriculum in 1 year!!!
He tested himself by doing exams set for mit students. Passed them all. And now, certificateless,he has the equivalent of the knowledge of a bsc in cs without the hefty price tag! How much did he spend? he spent money on books ($2k) and focused and studied. Imagine what he could accomplish in four years!!! 4 bscs!

But a teacher ,who knows his stuff, will save you time and money. Lots of it.
If i could go back in time, to when i started learning programming and start all over again, they're things i'd do that would save my younger self, literally years of sweat. How much would that savings be worth? Millions of naira. So if you meet somebody who is very good, and wants to mentor you or teach you and he bills you top dollars, it is wiser to pay o. I know nigerians like things cheap, but in the long run, you'll see that time is money. If mark zuckerberg or linus torvalds were to teach you programming and charged you N1m most people would be focused on the money and the the value, these people would literally be teaching you to think like they think, to see code thru their eyes- they'd change your life. I aint no teacher or mentor. Just saying.
Re: Java Pragramming (help) by trytillmake(m): 12:38pm On Feb 11, 2017
asalimpo:

But a teacher ,who knows his stuff, will save you time and money. Lots of it.
If i could go back in time, to when i started learning programming and start all over again, they're things i'd do that would save my younger self, literally years of sweat. How much would that savings be worth? Millions of naira. So if you meet somebody who is very good, and wants to mentor you or teach you and he bills you top dollars, it is wiser to pay o. I know nigerians like things cheap, but in the long run, you'll see that time is money. If mark zuckerberg or linus torvalds were to teach you programming and charged you N1m most people would be focused on the money and the the value, these people would literally be teaching you to think like they think, to see code thru their eyes- they'd change your life. I aint no teacher or mentor. Just saying.

What u said really true, good; learning online very good if u are true to yrself and focused but but but if u have a teacher that will guide and lead u in the right path early you will save yrself countless months on things u might not understand ontime.

So op it is up to you u can learn online or u get a good teacher or mentor that will lead u through the basics, u can proceed on yr own from thereof
Re: Java Pragramming (help) by trytillmake(m): 12:50pm On Feb 11, 2017
I can recommend FIRST LOGIC Nigeria (Plot 30, Oba Akran Avenue, Wema Bank Building, Ikeja, Lagos) i have been there before good training centre and not too expensive

also IMS Computers is there just as you enter Oba Akran.

Good LUCK.
Re: Java Pragramming (help) by hawlahethan(m): 3:00pm On Feb 11, 2017
I can coach u....contact me 07037872918
Re: Java Pragramming (help) by femarse: 8:18pm On Feb 11, 2017
well said but I notice something when you figure things out yourself even after so much wahala u will start realizing it's not magic after all
I am self tutored on Java PHP HTML CSS Python and I have almost hundreds of PDF files on laptop on all this language I don't read them all some of them were written in a way that a primary 6 student will code Java for u efficiently seriously and if you want I will send to
completely self explanatory

when I set up PHP MySQL and Apache server on my laptop alone with help from Google and the dam thing work after a lot of research on how to make it work after several fail attempt
it had to my knowledge of the understanding of how server side of things work
if I have a tutor he would have done it for me and I would not have dig deep enough to see a lot what is going in there

(1) (Reply)

Django Dev Looking For A Job / My Macbook Screen Went Blank / How Much Windows Programming Is Needed 4 Game Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.