Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,092 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard (30962 Views)

FG Takes Airlifting Of Stranded Nigerians From Air Peace / South Africa denies Nigeria visa-free status, grants Ghana - Vanguard / FG Takes Delivery Of Rail Wagons From China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by BlackSeptember: 4:46pm On Feb 09, 2017
mu2sa2:
Good that a hausa/fulani Muslim northerner is out to save a business outfit owned largely by southern Christians. Regionalists, tribal bigots, religious extremists, terrorists (aka militants) should learn a lesson or two from this.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by Akainzo(m): 4:47pm On Feb 09, 2017
SalamRushdie:

You are a criminal bro ..are you the one expanding them ...every airline in Nigeria is currently struggling if you don't know

I am a criminal for pointing out that other airlines are expanding under the same President. OK, since May 2015, how many more cinemas has FilmHouse opened, how many more ShopRite outlets have been opened?

Once you do not run your business wisely and efficiently, things like this are bound to happen.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by GboyegaD(m): 4:59pm On Feb 09, 2017
Federal Government gave them a long rope by giving them so much loan in 2013 with near zero percent interest through AMCON and I am surprised they still couldn't pull through. I guess their major challenge is mismanagement.
Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by bakila: 5:04pm On Feb 09, 2017
Ohammadike:
useless govt.........useless airline......mtchewww angry
Useless comment.
Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by ephi123(f): 5:05pm On Feb 09, 2017
mu2sa2:
Truth is bitter.

I know you don't even know what truth means.
Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by opribo(m): 5:09pm On Feb 09, 2017
This is the beginning of the end. There is nothing federal government of Nigeria takes over that ever worked.Take a look at the banks, the management that CBN introduced only came to kill the banks as they were busy settling themselves and their families. It would seem the former managers were managing the banks far better than what these crooks are doing right now. Just take a look at what they did in Union bank, Keystone Bank, Intercontinental.

What is the assurance that these ones in the highly sensitive sector like aviation would be any better. Best thing would have been to give them a bailout and mandate the management to change the executive team with a time frame to turn things around for the company. All govt need to do is to ensure strict compliance to the mandate given to the new management. Government has shown that they are not good managers of profit making ventures over and over again. This one certainly is another disaster of this administration as usual, before they list it as one of their achievements.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by opribo(m): 5:15pm On Feb 09, 2017
GboyegaD:
Federal Government gave them a long rope by giving them so much loan in 2013 with near zero percent interest through AMCON and I am surprised they still couldn't pull through. I guess their major challenge is mismanagement.

Giving loans without close monitoring of its application and usage and a new management to administer it is like throwing money down the drain. That shows that federal govt is culpable. If AMCON was a serious organisation they wont just throw tax payers money around just like that without strict follow up so they can detect and clear any irregularities at the bud stage, but NO they are as useless as anything federal govt. The same old 'no be my papa company' permeates in the system. They even use it to settle their cronies.
Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by oskaaay(m): 5:37pm On Feb 09, 2017
Okay.NOTED OP!
Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by Blue3k(m): 5:46pm On Feb 09, 2017
Domestic airlines folding like cards. Why the Federal Government? Why don't other private parties buy them out or merge with them.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by tommysparks: 5:47pm On Feb 09, 2017
BankManager:
APC-led government that cannot take care of 1 IDP camp wants to takeover Arik Air...
you hit the nail on the head

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by abioyeolaide(m): 6:14pm On Feb 09, 2017
Neyoor
I pray its for d interest of the masses.
Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by AreaFada2: 6:19pm On Feb 09, 2017
BankManager:
APC-led government that cannot take care of 1 IDP camp wants to takeover Arik Air...

Did Nigeria manage to run a national airline successfully for over 20 tears now?

Much less an already indebted one?

grin grin cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by jinxet2000: 7:17pm On Feb 09, 2017
Just retitle this to "some kingpins in govt have hijacked the ownership of Arik Air"
Which government? senators, ministry, education, justice, who? if not a hand few of kingpins in the North and South"
Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by GboyegaD(m): 7:45pm On Feb 09, 2017
opribo:

Giving loans without close monitoring of its application and usage and a new management to administer it is like throwing money down the drain. That shows that federal govt is culpable. If AMCON was a serious organisation they wont just throw tax payers money around just like that without strict follow up so they can detect and clear any irregularities at the bud stage, but NO they are as useless as anything federal govt. The same old 'no be my papa company' permeates in the system. They even use it to settle their cronies.

I agree that they are culpable to some extent in that they did not give very close monitoring however, they did that which they could do. I think one challenge they had was the FG interest in the business survival which limited their monitoring since FG shielded Ikhimi to some extent.
Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by davidif: 4:10am On Feb 10, 2017
Why are they bailing them out?
Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by Nobody: 7:09am On Feb 10, 2017
TheAlchemist:

The bitter truth is that if a business can not generate enough funds to run its operation, it is either the biz is inefficient or perhaps should be handed over to foreign airlines to manage. i believe govt has no business running an airline. The issue of government paying workers on time, the payment really does not come from the profitability of the business venture but from either Oil money, domestic borrowing and foreign loan. This is why Nigeria has such a high debt profile... Most of the business run by government are simply not productive.

I disagree with you, we have competent people who can run airline business, just as we have \Nigerian technocrats who are currently working abroad for foreign airlines.

Govt idea of running a business is to provide services to its citizens,it is subsidized, that is why govt doesnt make profit on its business- because it's a charity. Apart from telecoms mention any other privatized govt entity that is being run well, is it power?

Nigerian Airways of old wasn't run by foreigners.

If govt sold it's business to the right people we wont't the problems we re having with privatization of govt assets.

The current owners of Arik never had the interest of the airlines at heart. They saw Arik as a cash cow to be milked for personal gains.

How do you explain mounting debts, back log of unpaid salaries and vendors when every single passenger has been paying for Arik flights.?

Where did all these monies go?

Now AMCON is being called to bail of incompetent thieves with tax payers money.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard by loomer: 10:01am On Feb 10, 2017
mu2sa2:
Good that a hausa/fulani Muslim northerner is out to save a business outfit owned largely by southern Christians. Regionalists, tribal bigots, religious extremists, terrorists (aka militants) should learn a lesson or two from this.

Now, who come be tribal bigot? When the first thing wey u think na about tribe, religion and region.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Calabar Vs Lagos / Dubai Hotel Management Apologises After Staff Refuses To Serve A Nigerian Woman / Mother And Son Die In Road Crash In Taraba (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.