Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,398 members, 7,808,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:49 AM

Success As A Writer Doesn’t Come Overnight - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Success As A Writer Doesn’t Come Overnight (382 Views)

Overnight: A Short Romance Story By Grace Kimberly / 5 Things You Need To Know Before Dating A Writer / 5 Ways To Earn Money As A Writer In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Success As A Writer Doesn’t Come Overnight by IAMMUIC: 6:37pm On Feb 09, 2017
"Everybody wants to be a Bodybuilder but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight"

If you ask me I would say that’s the perfect quote, as it’s applicable to anything and everything immense people set out to achieve. Whether learning a foreign language, body building, breaking a habit, learning a musical instrument etc.

It is a strange phenomenon that most people want things so badly but are reluctant to go extra miles when the need arises to get what they want. They want things the easy way, with little or no stress at all.

Everybody wants something, but nobody wants to lift a heavy weight. I wonder what ever happened to the saying, Life is not a bed of roses.

Ever since Nigerians realized the likes of Linda Ikeji, Uche Eze, Noble Igwe, Jide Ogunsanya, Seun Osewa, Makinde Azeez… had not just earned a living for themselves, but had earned millions from blogging and generating online content, a staggering number of them(Nigerians) stormed the online industry, overcrowding the blogosphere with the aim of making as much money as their predecessors.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s a bad thing for Nigerians to venture into new territories, all I’m up against is launching a career in the online industry with the mindset that success would come overnight.

It’s a common thing nowadays to encounter newbie writers/bloggers lament on the poor reception their craft and blog has been getting. Here is a perfect example of one of such:

“I’ve started on my email list, and a few blog posts, worked on an e-book that’s not yet been posted, but I don’t feel like I’m getting anywhere. I don’t have any audience or visits either. I share them on my Facebook, Twitter, but it doesn’t seem to come with a response.”

Come to think of it, the above extract is a perfect description of how most newbie bloggers think, they expect immediate success. You claim to have completed “a few blog posts” and worked on an e-book that isn’t published yet, and you’re surprised you’re not experiencing success or getting good reviews

A small piece of advice if you fall under such category: Try scribbling a substantial amount of blog posts first, then see if you’ve gotten anywhere.

It takes a lot of work to win the heart of people over with your writing craft.

Out of the million of blogs out there Why should anyone pay attention to yours, especially when you’ve only put little effort into it and probably haven’t perfected your writing craft?

The world is full of bloggers and writers and it takes something special to stand out and grow a devote audience.

Here’s what Corbett Barr of fizzle.co had to say, in a bid to encourage newbie writers:

“On several occasions I’ve been made to explain how we built a dedicated fan base of hundreds of thousands of readers.

“We sure applied strategies and tactics to achieve such feat.

“But above all, we were able to achieve our success as a result of consistency: We just showed up every week, for years, even when no one cared to read our works. We’ve published well over 500 blog posts over the past five years. And the audience grew, little-by-little.”

It sure is demoralizing to churn out content week after week only to have no one pay attention to it. I know that feel. But everyone starts at that point. Those who are successful press on and go on publishing contents even when no one cares to read.

You keep writing until you find your voice and until you figure out how to write things that are worthy of an audience.

If you still feel like you are not making progress after years of hard work, then try something different. And if that doesn’t also work try putting extra effort.

But always have it at the back of your mind that you have no control whatsoever of when the results will come. It’s different for everybody, so don’t look for results after a few visits to the gym.

In conclusion, the next time you feel like you aren’t making any progress, or like no one is listening, consider the ponderosity of what you’re lifting. Are you perspirating? Are you exhausted at the end of every day? Are you adding more and more kilos every week?

That’s how you measure progress when no one cares to listen: by the magnitude of the work you’re doing, the boundaries you’re expanding, and the trials you’re learning from.

Source:
http://colouredscribes.com/success-as-a-writer-doesnt-come-overnight

(1) (Reply)

Story Books / The Interview / The Chiology Way To Happiness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.