Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,754 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

"Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) (5561 Views)

Who Told You God Almighty Doesn't Discipline You When You Sin? / Primate Belonwu Ezeanyaeche: Atiku Can't Be President Even If He Contests 20 Tim / The Devil Was The Cause Of All That Happened To You, God Wanted A Perfect Earth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by Seun(m): 5:42pm On Feb 10, 2017
When Tim Minchin, an outspoken comedian, atheist and musician, asked his friend Sam for evidence of the existence of God, he was not prepared for a good answer. To the atheist's shame, Sam told him the story of his mom who was diagnosed with an irreversible eye condition which required surgery. She told her church about it, and after they prayed, she went back to the doctors and they could not find any evidence that she ever had the condition she was diagnosed of earlier. Tim Minchin was really moved by Sam's testimony, so he wrote this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yqGSwE7uNk (Read The Lyrics)

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by Nobody: 5:49pm On Feb 10, 2017
My God is wonderful.

1 Like

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by jonbellion(m): 5:56pm On Feb 10, 2017
ToriBlue:
My God is wonderful.
lol
You did not watch it cheesy

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by felixomor: 5:57pm On Feb 10, 2017
Seun, we can see your interest in miracles is widening....

I hope u believe miracles occur now?
All be it the comedian in the video sings like someone that has been humbled and forced to sing.
Having heard of the miracle......
cool

1 Like

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 10, 2017
jonbellion:
lol You did not watch it cheesy
Yes I did not. Any problem?
Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by jnrbayano(m): 6:06pm On Feb 10, 2017
Mr Seun is having fun with "Christian affairs"

2 Likes

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by lepasharon(f): 6:10pm On Feb 10, 2017
I hope sam is not a real person
Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 10, 2017
..."repentant atheist" cool cool ...that's what is catching my fancy in the post. Nice phrase, how I just love it.
Well, I'm looking forward to hearing, one of these days, "A VERY VERY BIG REPENTANT ATHEIST" here on nairaland gringrin. If you have an idea of who I'm talking about,....

Say "aye" gringrin.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by Nobody: 7:53pm On Feb 10, 2017
hahahahahaha...I was smiling from the beginning, but when he said "he'll fix one eye of a middle-class white b.itch" I was GONE! grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by bennyann: 9:11pm On Feb 10, 2017
Tim Minchin – Thank You God Lyrics

I have an apology to make
I'm afraid I've made a big mistake
I turned my face away from you, Lord

I was too blind to see the light
I was too weak to feel Your might
I closed my eyes; I couldn't see the truth, Lord

But then like Saul on the Damascus road,
You sent a messenger to me, and so
Now I've have had the truth revealed to me
Please forgive me all those things I said
I'll no longer betray you, Lord
I will pray to you instead

And I will say thank you, thank you
Thank you, God
Thank you, thank you
Thank you, God...

Thank you, God, for fixing the cataracts of Sam's mum
I had no idea, but it's suddenly so clear now
I feel such a cynic, how could I have been so wrong?
Thank you for displaying how praying works:
A particular prayer in a particular church
Thank you Sam for the chance to acknowledge this
Omnipotent ophthalmologist

I didn't realize that it was so simple
But you've shown a great example of just how it can be done
You only need to pray in a particular spot
To a particular version of a particular god,
And if you pull that off without a hitch,
He will fix one eye of one middle-class white bitch

I know in the past my outlook has been limited
I couldn't see examples of where life had been definitive
But I can admit it when the evidence is clear,
As clear as Sam's mum's new cornea
(And that's extremely clear! )

I have to admit that in the past I have been skeptical
But Sam described this miracle and I am overcome!
How fitting that the sighting of a sight-based intervention
Should open my eyes to this exciting new dimension
It's like someone put an eye chart up in front of me
And the top five letters say: I C, G O D

Thank you, Sam, for showing how my point of view has been so flawed
I assumed there was no God at all but now I see that's cynical
It's simply that his interests aren't particularly broad
He's largely undiverted by the starving masses,
Or the inequality between the various classes
He gives out strictly limited passes,
Redeemable for surgery or two-for-one glasses

I feel so shocking for historically mocking
Your interests are clearly confined to the ocular
I bet given the chance, you'd eschew the divine
And start a little business selling contacts online

Bleep me Sam, what are the odds
That of history's endless parade of gods
That the God you just happened to be taught to believe in
Is the actual God and he digs on healing,
But not the AIDS-ridden African nations
Nor the victims of the plague, nor the flood-addled Asians,
But healthy, privately-insured Australians
With common and curable lens degeneration

The story of Sam's has but a single explanation:
A surgical God who digs on magic operations
No, it couldn't be mistaken attribution of causation
Born of a coincidental temporal correlation
Exacerbated by a general lack of education
Vis-a-vis physics in Sam's parish congregation
No it couldn't be that all these pious people are liars
It couldn't be an artifact of confirmation bias
A product of groupthink,
A mass delusion,
An Emperor's New Clothes-style fear of exclusion

No, it's more likely to be an all-powerful magician
Than the misdiagnosis of the initial condition,
Or one of many cases of spontaneous remission,
Or a record-keeping glitch by the local physician

No, the only explanation for Sam's mum's seeing:
They prayed to an all-knowing superbeing,
To the omnipresent master of the universe,
And he quite liked the sound of their muttered verse.

So for a bit of a change from his usual stunt
Of being a sexist, racist, murderous cunt
He popped down to Dandenong and just like that
Used his powers to heal the cataracts of Sam's mum
Of Sam's mum

Thank you God for fixing the cataracts of Sam's mum!
I didn't realize that it was such a simple thing
I feel such a dingaling, what ignorant scum!

Now I understand a prayer can work:
A particular prayer in a particular church
In a particular style with a particular stuff
And for particular problems that aren't particularly tough,
And for particular people, preferably white
And for particular senses, preferably sight
A particular prayer in a particular spot
To a particular version of a particular god

And if you get that right, he just might
Take a break from giving babies malaria
And pop down to your local area
And fix the cataracts of your mum!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by bennyann: 9:15pm On Feb 10, 2017
Seun you may be like the serpent now but very soon you'll crush its head.

Thank God all your words and beliefs are stored here.

I just dey look you. angry

When the time comes, I wonder how you will feel coming back here....

The brethren in Christ love you still but Jesus loves you more

But didn't you lie by calling him a repentant atheist? undecided

3 Likes

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by Flexherbal(m): 9:31pm On Feb 10, 2017
I like Mr Seun.

3 Likes

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by bennyann: 9:33pm On Feb 10, 2017
felixomor:
Seun, we can see your interest in miracles is widening....

I hope u believe miracles occur now?
All be it the comedian in the video sings like someone that has been humbled and forced to sing.
Having heard of the miracle......
cool

Seun hasn't graduated from mocking God yet. The day God will mock him........ One day for the owner sha

4 Likes

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by niyihawking(m): 11:30pm On Feb 10, 2017
bennyann:

Seun hasn't graduated from mocking God yet. The day God will mock him........ One day for the owner sha
please specify the god you are referring to exactly, don't let the wrath of FSM fall on you

1 Like

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by bennyann: 6:27am On Feb 11, 2017
niyihawking:
please specify the god you are referring to exactly, don't let the wrath of FSM fall on you

Not only fsm, it's ABC. undecided

Anyway you don't need to bother about it because that God knows Himself, He knows me and He knows you and He sees all that goes on here.

Not like the god you created out of your imagination, not knowing how powerful the mind is and how that god created can be real to only you.

I'm talking about the God that knows everyone here by name and sees all we do both in secret and in public.

That's my God Troublemaker tongue and not ABC that I can create right now. A created god is not God Gerrit? wink

3 Likes

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by niyihawking(m): 10:52am On Feb 11, 2017
bennyann:

Not only fsm, it's ABC. undecided

Anyway you don't need to bother about it because that God knows Himself, He knows me and He knows you and He sees all that goes on here.

Not like the god you created out of your imagination, not knowing how powerful the mind is and how that god created can be real to only you.

I'm talking about the God that knows everyone here by name and sees all we do both in secret and in public.

That's my God Troublemaker tongue and not ABC that I can create right now. A created god is not God Gerrit? wink
kikikikikikiki loooool.

thanks for the clarity, so even the Christian god, Muslim god and all other gods ain't god too cos they are created.

kontinu grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by bennyann: 2:23pm On Feb 11, 2017
niyihawking:

kikikikikikiki loooool.

thanks for the clarity, so even the Christian god, Muslim god and all other gods ain't god too cos they are created.

kontinu grin grin

Oh dear! Let me join you to laugh. grin grin grin grin grin

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by Mbkite(m): 2:55pm On Feb 11, 2017
bennyann:

seun will later in life become a preacher of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

just save this thread.

1 Like

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by bennyann: 3:30pm On Feb 11, 2017
Mbkite:

just save this thread.

Wow! Thank you dear. I believe with you.

Infact I don't just believe it, I just know it. It's been saved and stamped both here and above.

And do you know you saying and confirming it, helps it comes to reality faster... cool

God bless you.

1 Like

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by Seun(m): 4:00pm On Feb 11, 2017
bennyann:
Seun hasn't graduated from mocking God yet. The day God will mock him...
We all experience misfortunes from time to time. It has little to do with God. My life today is challenging, but I'm luckier than many Christians.

Mbkite:
bennyann:
And do you know you saying and confirming it, helps it comes to reality faster... cool
If you really believe that declaring that something will happen makes it happen, you should declare something more important e.g the discovery of a drug that can cure every form of cancer in 2017, the eradication of malaria in 2017, or that Economists will take over the CBN in 2017.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by bennyann: 4:39pm On Feb 11, 2017
Seun:

We all experience misfortunes from time to time. It has little to do with God. My life today is challenging, but I'm luckier than many Christians.

Dear Seun, I never meant misfortunes. I only meant God will take over you soon and you wouldn't be able to mock Him again.

Of a truth you're luckier than many Christians. I only hope you'll be luckier where and when it matters most also.

If you really believe that declaring that something will happen makes it happen, you should declare something more important e.g the discovery of a drug that can cure every form of cancer in 2017, the eradication of malaria in 2017, or that Economists will take over the CBN in 2017.

Even if all these problems are solved, deadlier issues will rise up. Christians are aware of the signs of end time including you and there's no where in the Bible that states the earth will be perfect before the coming of Christ. Heaven and earth will pass away but His word will remain.
It wouldn't stop some from having their way around such crises though but the world will never be perfect, in fact, it's expected to get worse as time goes on.

So my dear Seun, stop trying God on that because His word is settled already. And if you don't know, you're extremely important and there's nothing wrong in trying God on yourself first.

Stop thinking you are more loving and compassionate than God or you love the world than God does.

10 Likes

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by davien(m): 4:57pm On Feb 11, 2017
Isn't it funny how christians effortlessly nod and approve atheist-christian conversions but scoff at christian-atheist ones as either impossible or falsified

2 Likes

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by Nobody: 6:46pm On Feb 11, 2017
jonbellion:
lol
You did not watch it cheesy
grin
Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by Nobody: 6:55pm On Feb 11, 2017
niyihawking:

The pasta is just and merciful grin

2 Likes

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by Nobody: 7:05pm On Feb 11, 2017
izublingz:

The pasta is just and merciful grin
His noodles endureth forever cheesy

3 Likes

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by mrmrmister: 7:05pm On Feb 11, 2017
grin
There was a thread on frontpage.
The words:
"Allahu akbar" were found on meat. grin

Who says god doesn't exist? grin grin

3 Likes

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by Nobody: 8:10pm On Feb 11, 2017
SirWere:
His noodles endureth forever cheesy
grin
Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by GoodMuyis(m): 8:11pm On Feb 11, 2017
welcome
Read my signature for free
Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by chiedu7: 8:30pm On Feb 11, 2017
Seun, Atheists & Other Religions.

It is not on record that anyother God can heal the way Jesus does.

Mohammed himself is not in heaven, as he himself said he does not know what will happen to him.

Sura 46:9
"I am not something original among the messengers, NOR DO I KNOW WHAT WILL BE DONE WITH ME OR WITH YOU(MUSLIMS)".

Jesus on the other hand went to heaven in the full view of everybody.

Acts 1 (KJV)
9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;

11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Now if Jesus went to heaven in the view of everybody and mohammed does not know his destination,
then it means that Jesus is far superior.

Not only that, only Jesus heals.

So we all need to follow Jesus.

Most crucially, Jesus lives and mohammed is dead.

A dead man cannot help you, Jesus can because He is ALIVE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Thank You God" By Repentant Atheist Tim Minchin (Concert Video) by Mbkite(m): 9:03pm On Feb 11, 2017
Seun:

I have said what will be and of course, I expected you to attack it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

If Supernatural Bodies Are Better Than Human Bodies Why Do Demons Possess Humans / Masturbation Is Good For Christians / Conversation Between Apastor And Awisechild:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.