Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

Collins Nji Becomes The First African To Win Google’s Code-in Competition. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Collins Nji Becomes The First African To Win Google’s Code-in Competition. (1250 Views)

Please,Help Explain This Code In C / I Need Online Banking Source Code In PHP, MSQL / Online Banking Source Code In PHP, MSQL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Collins Nji Becomes The First African To Win Google’s Code-in Competition. by zumen(m): 5:59am On Feb 11, 2017
CONGRATULATIONS BROOO

Despite the fact that the Internet connection has been completely shut down in the northwest and southwest of Cameroon (its two main English-speaking regions) for the past 24 days now, a 17-year-old Cameroonian has defied the odds to emerge as the first African to win Google’s Code-In Competition — a competition that allows pre-university students between the ages of 13 and 17 complete tasks specified by partner open source organizations which include Drupal, Wikimedia, Sugar Labs to name a few.

Collins won under the “OpenMRS” category; an open source enterprise electronic medical record system platform.

Yes, he was affected by the Internet blockade imposed by the Cameroon Government, but did he let that stop him?

He had to travel to another town to submit his solution.

In his words:

“When GCI started, I was anxious and nervous to some extent. I had to find ways to turn my nervousness into creativity and fun. Participating was super exciting and really exhausting, and at the end, I discovered that I gained a whole new level of experience in the Open source world.”

Collins Nji will be traveling to the Google Headquarters in Mountain View, CA to meet the Google Open Source team and other members of the Google Software Engineering team for a tour of Silicon Valley finest.

http://iqvibes.com/against-the-odds-collins-nji-becomes-the-first-african-to-win-googles-code-in-competition/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Collins Nji Becomes The First African To Win Google’s Code-in Competition. by ademega(m): 6:35am On Feb 11, 2017
Congrats
Re: Collins Nji Becomes The First African To Win Google’s Code-in Competition. by uzoexcel(m): 6:23pm On Feb 20, 2017
Niceeee

(1) (Reply)

Peer 2 Peer Donation Site For SALE! / Learn Wordpress, Angular Js And Bootstrap For Web Design/development / Help In Uploading My I.m To Play Store

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.