Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,056 members, 7,807,175 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:44 AM

A Writer's Dilemma (short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Writer's Dilemma (short Story) (464 Views)

Sugar Mummy Dilemma(rated 18). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Writer's Dilemma (short Story) by Akposb(m): 7:53pm On Feb 11, 2017
Copyright by Okoribe Aruakpo

This piece is fictional.

Paul could not get enough of the book he was holding. He had finally received a copy of his recently published manuscript that had been hidden away for years. Also, to add gloss to his breakthrough in the publishing world, he was set to be interviewed by Abasa, a renowned journalist who does book review for The Fright, a national newspaper. He had prepared himself for the visit of this very important personality. Though he had tried to discourage Abasa from coming into his humble dwelling, he had been insistent. He took a look at the modest features of his room. He lived in a single room apartment that is fairly largely enough to contain a family-sized bed, a table and a chair for his studies and some other household items which were neatly arranged close to the wall adjoining the door. He could readily attest to the fact that his HP laptop was the most valuable property in the room. There was little in his world that excites him as much as the numerous scribbles that made the Microsoft office application in his computer a junk yard.

Abasa arrived just before it was 10:00am. Paul had a problem recognizing or placing the six-foot, dark skinned and quite muscular man that stood at the door. The man was indeed the person he was expecting but it was quite a distance from the personality he had imagined or thought of all along. Paul was little above six foot, had a chocolate skin that had almost darkened as a result of poor living condition. Abasa sat on the chair while Paul sat on the bed. Paul could only smile at the uneven and informal manner the interview was going to be conducted.

Abasa on his part loved the setting. He had always loved that air of superiority that exists between him and the first time published authors he had interviewed. He knew the influence he wields in the society and this has always being his trump card. He set the interview in motion once he felt comfortable. It was a thing of note that his latest recruit was stuck in a ghetto. He felt at ease envisaging the fact that this was going to be easier than he first thought.

‘’ So can we meet you?’ he had his Iphone out to the face of Paul.

The Iphone was his only trusted and reliable instrument for recording interviews conducted by him. He hated carrying bogus instruments hence the sleek and slim nature of the recently released Iphone 7s had won him over. Paul was clearly awed by the appearance of this phone that had dominated the airwaves since its release. He smiled at the thought of receiving two very important visitors into his abode.

‘’ My name is Paul Aburome’’ he said.

‘’ Mr. Aburome, what informed your decision to be a writer?’

‘’ I get inspired by the thoughts of stringing words together to explain a social phenomenon or event from my own point of view’’

A slight grin appeared on the face of Abasa. It had always been similar words appearing in the thoughts of this ambitious first time writers.

‘’ So how do you get inspiration?’ Abasa asked.

‘’Chiefly through observation. I am inclined into new waves of thought by the mere act of seeing people walking past, the ever changing face of the weather and the general socio-economic trend of the society’’

‘’ Brilliant thought I must say. It therefore means that your muse is generally informed by human beings’’

‘’ Yes, they are the chief materials and sometimes I just tend to wonder into that metaphysical realm to revel or possibly extricate solutions that could reduce our challenges or make them null and void’’

‘’ That is indeed brilliant’’

‘’ Thank you sir’’

Abasa turned off the recorder at this point. His countenance suddenly turned into a grave expression.
‘’ Mr. Aburome’’

‘’ Sir’’

‘’ Have you heard of the central seal of the inner sanctum?’

‘’ No Sir’’

‘’ I am the physical representation of that powerful organization. We control the activities and the thoughts of men. Our influence is beyond the physical and spiritual limitations of this world’’

Paul nodded at the new insight the man was feeding him.

‘’ You should know by now that my endorsement of any book is the sine qua non for its wide readership and public acceptance. I believe you know the implication of that?’

‘’ Yes sir’’

‘’ You will earn much money than you can ever imagine and your fame is assured. That also means you could actually move from this place into a much better place’’

‘’ I will appreciate if you assist me sir’’

‘’ There is a problem though?’

‘’ What is it?’

He squats in front of Paul. Paul was uncomfortable but he feared any attempt to turn away would give mixed signal to the unsaid words of the man.

‘’ Your material contains some words that could rattle the public space’’

‘’ That is strange to hear sir. All I have written are just innocent thoughts’’

‘’ Definitely, you are correct if that is how you see it but the inner sanctum don’t like some of the trifle matters you discussed in your book ’’

‘’ Trifle matters you say but I didn’t write the book for the inner sanctum sir’’

‘’ You don’t understand then, the inner sanctum is a protector of the society. If they find a problem, it is either solved or the causative agent perishes along with the problem’’

Paul could barely contain his amusement and this made him burst into laughter. Abasa was unmoved as he kept his focus on him.

‘’ I’d like you to come see something’’ Abasa said after the laughter had subsided.

‘’ What do you want to show me?’

‘’ It’s not within this room, it is out in the streets and I can assure you that it will be an interesting revelation’’

Abasa gave him a moment to think.

‘’ Okay, let’s go’’

Abasa stood up and walked towards the door while Paul followed behind. They came out of the dingy passage that led to Paul’s room into the sharp rays of the rising sun. Paul spotted a Peugeot 406 a little distance from the front of the imposing two storey building he lived in with other numerous tenants. There were people out in the street beside the kiosks that dotted the long sandy patch of Aderomi Street. A farther distance from where the Peugeot was parked, some boys were engaged in a game of football. Abasa led the way to the car and opened the door. He opened the door of the passenger’s seat and asked Paul to enter. The interior was quite a beauty. Beautiful upholstery, a clean dashboard all made the car look squeaky clean and lovely. Paul reckoned that it was either a new car or Abasa was an obsessive owner who was particular about the physical beauty of his car.

‘’ Nice car you have here’’ Paul said.

‘’ Thank you, I am glad you like it’’

Abasa turned on the ignition, did a reverse and soon they were driving towards the makeshift football pitch of some football playing boys. They left the road as soon as they saw the cars and Abasa waved at them, a subtle apology for disrupting their game. He took a turn to the right and drove forward. A tarred road was just ahead and Paul understood where he was headed for. Immediately, they hit the room, Abasa stepped on the accelerator which increased the speed of the car. There was no discussion as they journeyed. Paul took the rare pleasure of enjoying the sight of people moving to different places. He knew one thing about the city, there was no moment of rest as people were ever moving.

After about thirty minutes of driving, Abasa drove into a mall. He brought out his phone and made a call. Paul was silent all through as they waited for the result. Some minutes passed and a young bespectacled man showed up beside the driver’s seat. Abasa opened the door and went out to meet him. They discussed for a short time and Abasa asked Paul to alight. The man regarded Paul with suspicion. Paul was not surprised by the man’s reaction. Ever since Abasa brought up the topic of the Inner Sanctum, he knew he was about to share in a secret whose effect he had not bothered to give thought to. Paul nodded and this seemed to lessen the man’s scrutiny. He walked side by side with Abasa as the man led them towards the garage of the mall.

They passed some car and soon got to the end. Just close to the end was a black board lying on the ground. The man stepped on it and asked Abasa and Paul to join him. Paul hesitated but followed at the urging of Abasa. He kept watch on the man to see what he wanted to do. The man pressed a command on his phone and suddenly the board removed from under them and Paul could only remember a momentary depression down the floor into an under-ground world. Paul saw a slight smile on Abasa who regarded him with empathy as Paul was shaking from the experience. The man opened a door in front of them and suddenly a bright light flashed into the dark passage they had landed in.

‘’ You are welcome to the headquarters of the Inner sanctum aka the Ministry of Books’’

Paul could easily compare the activities that went on in the place to a publishing company. Young men and women worked in front of desktop computers with several books lying in front of them. He was surprised by the sight and considering the fact that they were below floor level. He had so many questions to ask but he knew he would barely get answers to what he wanted. Everything about the place bore an imprint of secrecy. Abasa led him as they did a little tour of the facility and he could easily identify looks of hostility from the workers once their eyes met.

‘’ I hope you like this place?’ Abasa asked almost in a whisper.

‘’ Yes sir’’ Paul replied.

Abasa led him back to the entrance where the man who had brought them in was standing. The man opened the door to the passage and they walked into the dark. He touched on his phone, the floor shook and started ascending. Day-light flooded into the structure. They arrived at the garage within a minute. Abasa shook hands with the man and led Paul as they walked past the cars in the garage. They got to where they had parked and entered the car.

‘’ That is where the events that goes on in this society are decided. The ministry of books is concerned about the intellectual aspect of the workings of our organization’’

‘’ Sir, I don’t think I am interested in doing what you’ve requested’’

‘’ That is a bold statement sir’’

Paul regarded him with a slight fear in his eyes. His statement had a tinge of sarcasm.

‘’ I understand the fact that you want to express your freedom but this is a fight you can’t win. We have a vast network of connections that either build or destroy those we have come in contact with. I chose you because I think you are a brilliant writer’’

‘’ Sir, I am not interested’’

‘’ Okay’’

Abasa turned on the ignition and they drove out of the mall. The journey back home was different as Abasa launched into a monologue.

‘’ The world is a complex place. Different faces, characters, thoughts and desires. It is a complex triangle that has only led to wars and more wars. We live to give order and the society has little or no choice but to walk with our vision. You may not know but your activities are regulated by us’’

He paused.

‘’ Your book is introducing a phase and an age that we are unwilling to launch yet. Hand over the book and you will be blessed with riches that is beyond your imagination. But if you decide not to, you are very much just a figment that could be extinguished at any time. I urge you to think and make a decision’’

Abasa stopped at the main road.

‘’ I believe you can walk the remaining distance’’

‘’ Yes sir’’

Paul was about to open the door when Abasa held him.

‘’ You have been exposed to a secret, you must ensure to keep it. Here is my card, I am expecting a reply from you’’

Paul took the card and alighted. Abasa drove away. Paul stood a while lost on what to do. He knew he had been exposed to a chamber of secret which he must not confess to another. He loved writing but after this meeting he feared the consequence of his ideas. He regarded the card with intense scrutiny, stood for a little while and tore it. He had a cross to bear and he would gladly carry it.
Re: A Writer's Dilemma (short Story) by xaviercasmir(m): 8:19am On Feb 12, 2017
hmmmm intresting

(1) (Reply)

The Silent Battles Of Life / 28 Life-changing Books Every Woman Should Read28 Life-changing Books Every Woman / Amazon Help Needed...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.