Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,802 members, 7,806,240 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:25 PM

Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements (18923 Views)

Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call / Coronavirus: British Airways To Sack 12,000 Employees / Justice For Sacked Glo Women Protest In Enugu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by ennysuccess(m): 5:11pm On Feb 12, 2017
9ja which way
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by mesoprogress(m): 5:12pm On Feb 12, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Was he a full staff or on a renewable contract ?

None is contract staff, all full staff
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by babs50g: 5:15pm On Feb 12, 2017
when a foreign companies into the country they follow due process. it is the NLc that we subvert the will of the people .we are the evil unto ourselves.
when NPA was concessioned, they have not paid their gratuity up to this moment, and the same union affiliate short changed their members
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by ephi123(f): 5:27pm On Feb 12, 2017
If companies have no one to put them in check, they will always abuse the system. Same with the likes of Shell and the Ogoni case. The Nigerian government has failed in its core tasks.

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by Aburi001: 5:45pm On Feb 12, 2017
Bujumbura:
don't you attend church?

Naija guys don't like going to church but they are not comfortable marrying ladies that don't attend church

Wetin concern Church with the subject matter here bike?
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by FabioPeter: 6:02pm On Feb 12, 2017
Is a severance package included in the letter of employment? Most likely they are third party staffs paid by an outsourcing company, they may have to deal with their paymasters.
The terms of those in same geo-market may not be same as Nigeria, no need for the sentiment. By the way why protest in Enugu?
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by tectonotimes: 6:05pm On Feb 12, 2017
The earlier you start your company, the better for you guys.

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by franfumu(f): 6:16pm On Feb 12, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Was he a full staff or on a renewable contract ?
My friend said he was a full staff and they were 400 ex employee cheater by this company as against 219 reported by the media.

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by franfumu(f): 6:19pm On Feb 12, 2017
FabioPeter:
Is a severance package included in the letter of employment? Most likely they are third party staffs paid by an outsourcing company, they may have to deal with their paymasters.
The terms of those in same geo-market may not be same as Nigeria, no need for the sentiment. By the way why protest in Enugu?
They were full staffs. The court case is at the industrial court Enugu. Check the pix again. They are sueing Baker for voilating the nigerian labour law.
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by Kassidy4luv(m): 6:26pm On Feb 12, 2017
I thought B J services acquired Baker Hughes?
Anyways the company haven't been known of good staff welfare shaa

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by franfumu(f): 6:28pm On Feb 12, 2017
mployer:
No fvcks given.
When they were chopping the oil money they didn't call me tongue
I totally agree with you. No need to give a Bleep since it does not affect us. However, you will be amazed by the number of Nigerians that will come out after the success of this case. They go home empty after putting their lives on the line for this companies. Our problem as a nation has been me, myself and I along tribe and religion.
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by Nobody: 6:56pm On Feb 12, 2017
When u realise your government didnt give a rat ass grin grin

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by Threemg: 7:02pm On Feb 12, 2017
A friend of mine joined Bakerhughes almost the same time I joined Schlumberger, I always envy him due to the name BHI already made in Nigeria, I got the shock of my life when I saw his Pay-off Package after almost 2years compared to what is obtained in Schlumberger, ds my guy didn't get up to 500K, I didn't believe him until I saw his Pay off cheque.Bakerhughes Nigeria is a complete scam, full of evil and self-centered mangement

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by seggie: 7:32pm On Feb 12, 2017
I am really disappointed in Martin CraigHead, Baker Hughes Incorporated and Baker Hughes company Ltd. I see no reason why an international oil servicing coy who obeys the US laws and other International Labour Organisation laws will come to Nigeria and flagrantly disobey the laws of the land with a single aim to Cheat and Kill Nigerians. We won't accept this rubbish. Enough is Enough. Pls pay our redundancy and get lost!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by FabioPeter: 7:51pm On Feb 12, 2017
franfumu:
They were full staffs. The court case is at the industrial court Enugu. Check the pix again. They are sueing Baker for voilating the nigerian labour law.

OK, thanks, it's clearer now.
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by akigbemaru: 8:15pm On Feb 12, 2017
Protest against American company from Igboland!
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by unmask: 8:15pm On Feb 12, 2017
They won't get jack... Your labour laws in Nigeria are wack.....the people you ate running to for help are the ones that had their palms greased
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by Just30: 8:44pm On Feb 12, 2017
mesoprogress:
Christopher Isiguzo in Enugu

About 400 aggrieved ex-employees of Baker and Hughes, the third largest multi-national oil servicing company in Nigeria on Friday staged a peaceful protest at the premises of the National Industrial Court Enugu where they are challenging their unlawful disengagement by the company.

The protesting ex-workers are demanding for their entitlements said to be worth a whooping N12 billion from the company.

The protesters carrying placards, chanted slogans against the companyand its Chief Executive Officer, Martin Craighead, insisting that theirdisengagement did not comply with existing labour laws in Nigeria.

Some of the placards they displayed read: ‘Baker and Hughes, How many more deaths Pay us while we are alive’, ‘Martin Craighead, slave master’, ‘Baker and Hughes pay us our money’, ‘Baker and Hughes, pay us like Congo, Gabon, Chad and Ghana’, ‘Baker and Hughes is nepotism’.

Briefing journalists outside the courtroom, George Ogara, counsel to the claimants/plaintiffs, said they were asking Baker and Hughes to pay them their adequate severancepackages.

Ogara said they were also asking for the post employment medical benefits as operated in other African countries in the same Geo-market with Nigeria, such as Congo, Gabon, Chad and Ghana.

He regretted that while workers disengaged by the company in the other African countries were adequately compensated with redundant allowances, Baker and Hughes treated those in Nigeria like slaves, not minding the position of Nigeria as the head of the Geo-market.

Ogara regretted that 15 of the disengaged workers have died and their widows are suffering, adding that they were asking that their entitlements be paid to them.

Earlier yesterday, hearing on the suit brought before the National Industrial Court Enugu by the ex-employees against the company was stalled, following the plea by the defendants’ counsels for more time to enable them to resolve issues over their representation as well as file their reply to the suit.

Ogara, the counsel to the claimants/plaintiffs had asked the court to allow him to proceed with his motion on notice as it appears that the respondents were not opposing it.

The motion is seeking among others for an order to restrain General Electrics from acquiring Baker and Hughes or ensuring that the ex-employees were paid their benefits (totaling about N12 billion) before the acquisition.

However, one of the respondent counsels, Ismail Muftau told the court that he has not received the processes for the motion on notice fixed for the day.

Muftau who appeared alongside Ayoade Oluwasammi for the defense, later admitted that he only sighted the processes from one of his colleagues in the defense and asked for time to reply to it when served.

But, Ogara told the court that the claimants were in a hurry and that the defendants were bidding for more time to destroy the res (subject matter) in the case.

In his ruling, Justice Auwal Ibrahim said the matter has to be adjourned to enable service to all the parties and to allow the two lawyers to the defendants to resolve issues about the particular defendants that they are representing.

Justice Ibrahim adjourned the matter to March 10th for the hearing of the motion.

Speaking with journalists after the court sitting, Ogara said they were asking for justice for 219 ex-employees of Baker and Hughes, who are among the 1000 who were declaredredundant and sent home without benefits.
But, Muftau who equally spoke with journalists outside the courtroom, dismissed the claim of the ex-employees, saying that they collected severance benefits and returned to court thereafter to ask for more.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/02/12/aggrieved-ex-bakerhughes-employees-protest-in-enugu-demand-n12b-entitlements/

What does your labour laws say? Is it binding on companies to pay compensation to workers in case of a disengagement?
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by Just30: 8:46pm On Feb 12, 2017
seggie:
I am really disappointed in Martin CraigHead, Baker Hughes Incorporated and Baker Hughes company Ltd. I see no reason why an international oil servicing coy who obeys the US laws and other International Labour Organisation laws will come to Nigeria and flagrantly disobey the laws of the land with a single aim to Cheat and Kill Nigerians. We won't accept this rubbish. Enough is Enough. Pls pay our redundancy and get lost!!!
it just a matter of a court case, why the gra gra?
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by Kobicove(m): 8:46pm On Feb 12, 2017
franfumu:
BAKER HUGHES is a scam company. My friend worked there for 15 years. His position was declared redundant and he was dropped from service with a paltry sum of 500,00 naira in this recession. Good people of Nigeria, is that a redundancy / benefit package? See the kind of evil some companies perpetrate in Nigeria. And to think that they do this to 219 Nigerians is despicable. No wonder the recession is even biting very hard in Nigeria.

We Nigerians love to tell half truths when we leave the services of an organization...

Please ask your friend if he had outstanding loans against which his entitlements were netted off when he left the company undecided
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by mployer(m): 9:27pm On Feb 12, 2017
franfumu:
I totally agree with you. No need to give a Bleep since it does not affect us. However, you will be amazed by the number of Nigerians that will come out after the success of this case. They go home empty after putting their lives on the line for this companies. Our problem as a nation has been me, myself and I along tribe and religion.
Put their lives on the line

Bro, you know how much these guys were earning as salaries?
They enjoyed alone, let them do the protest alone. Still no fvcks given tongue
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by Threemg: 9:58pm On Feb 12, 2017
I don't even know what response to give you, so you mean more than 200 employees r giving half story or what? And for your information can these numbers be indebted to d company at the same time of layoffs? Bros borrow some wisdom from Proverbs 15:23. Or better still just read comments and follow up
Kobicove:

We Nigerians love to tell half truths when we leave the services of an organization...

Please ask your friend if he had outstanding loans against which his entitlements were netted off when he left the company undecided
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by Kobicove(m): 10:43pm On Feb 12, 2017
Threemg:
I don't even know what response to give you, so you mean more than 200 employees r giving half story or what? And for your information can these numbers be indebted to d company at the same time of layoffs? Bros borrow some wisdom from Proverbs 15:23. Or better still just read comments and follow up

I was not referring to the 200 people that got laid off...

My interest is with the liar who said he got a pay-off of N500,000 after working for 15 years.

Yes, you heard me right I called him a bloody liar cos that's what he is

Instead of him to admit that he was heavily indebted as at the time of his disengagement he's making it seem as if the company shortchanged him

Ignorant people just come to social media and write trash!

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by mesoprogress(m): 8:49am On Feb 13, 2017
Kobicove:

My interest is with the liar who said he got a pay-off of N500,000 after working for 15 years.

Instead of him to admit that he was heavily indebted as at the time of his disengagement he's making it seem as if the company shortchanged him

The truth of the matter is that Baker Hughes did not follow existing Nigeria laws when they laid off staff and paid them peanuts as severance. That's what's being addressed in the court. They know they would lose out, and they are jittery. The bad is that we have a moribund government that does not protect its citizens. In Germany and France, they were given stringent conditions, including paying staff a percentage of their salary until they get a new job. Nigerians made millions of dollars for this company, so they can comfortably pay off staff well if they wish.
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by Threemg: 8:51am On Feb 13, 2017
Anyways, the figure he quoted may be questionable but Bros believe me these guys especially the Nigeria Bakerhughes management are evil men, they don't care how much u r paid off all dt matters to them is how to cut all ur pay for the sake of their own selfish promotion.
Kobicove:

Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by franfumu(f): 9:14am On Feb 13, 2017
Kobicove:

You are a Shipopotamus n a bloody liar who does not have any fact but just condemn another. Can you call any ex Baker Hughes staff to confirm what I am telling you. My info is from the horse''s mouth. This is an America company not an India or Chinese company defrauding Nigerians and you are here defending them.
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by alt3r3g0: 9:17am On Feb 13, 2017
Threemg:
Anyways, the figure he quoted may be questionable but Bros believe me these guys especially the Nigeria Bakerhughes management are evil men, they don't care how much u r paid off all dt matters to them is how to cut all ur pay for the sake of their own selfish promotion.

Naija factor as usual. Such a shame.
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by Kobicove(m): 11:00am On Feb 13, 2017
franfumu:
You are a Shipopotamus n a bloody liar who does not have any fact but just condemn another. Can you call any ex Baker Hughes staff to confirm what I am telling you. My info is from the horse''s mouth. This is an America company not an India or Chinese company defrauding Nigerians and you are here defending them.

I will not call a random Baker Hughes staff to confirm anything...

I'm particular about the liar who said he/she got paid N500,000 after 15 years service with the company...the person lied so as to get public sympathy

Ask him to present a copy of the Certificate of Discharge which was prepared by the Finance and Accounts department (This document will show a summary of all his entitlements upon disengagement, it will also show a summary of all outstanding loans and advances)

It is the net amount that will be paid to the staff who is disengaging therefore the final amount he/she gets will depend on how much he/she owes the company and banks as the case may be...

I challenge him/her to provide a certified true copy of this document

Please stop making a public exhibit of your ignorance here!
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by franfumu(f): 1:00pm On Feb 13, 2017
Kobicove:

I will not call a random Baker Hughes staff to confirm anything...

I'm particular about the liar who said he/she got paid N500,000 after 15 years service with the company...the person lied so as to get public sympathy

Ask him to present a copy of the Certificate of Discharge which was prepared by the Finance and Accounts department (This document will show a summary of all his entitlements upon disengagement, it will also show a summary of all outstanding loans and advances)

It is the net amount that will be paid to the staff who is disengaging therefore the final amount he/she gets will depend on how much he/she owes the company and banks as the case may be...

I challenge him/her to provide a certified true copy of this document

Please stop making a public exhibit of your ignorance here!
Bottom line is, you don't have a source and fact, so just shut up. There is another ex staff paid off with 1 million naira after 21 years. Does that not sound similar to that of my friend.By the way, are you sympatizing with the foreigners defrauding Nigerians? Do you know the kind of bribe these companies ditch out?
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by Kobicove(m): 1:53pm On Feb 13, 2017
franfumu:
Bottom line is, you don't have a source and fact, so just shut up. There is another ex staff paid off with 1 million naira after 21 years. Does that not sound similar to that of my friend.By the way, are you sympatizing with the foreigners defrauding Nigerians? Do you know the kind of bribe these companies ditch out?

I don't need to have a source to know what happens...I am a finance personnel and I also work for a well structured company so I know the proper procedure for employee disengagement

You on the other hand are ranting based on sentiments and hearsay which is not valid

If you must argue then do so based on verifiable facts and logic

Stop throwing around wild and unsubstantiated 'beer palour' accusations which you cannot defend
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by franfumu(f): 6:11pm On Feb 13, 2017
Kobicove:

I don't need to have a source to know what happens...I am a finance personnel and I also work for a well structured company so I know the proper procedure for employee disengagement

You on the other hand are ranting based on sentiments and hearsay which is not valid

If you must argue then do so based on verifiable facts and logic

Stop throwing around wild and unsubstantiated 'beer palour' accusations which you cannot defend
Since you claim to know, please educate us, why are 400 Nigerians suing baker Hughes company?
Re: Aggrieved Ex-baker Hughes Employees Protest In Enugu, Demand N12b Entitlements by Kobicove(m): 6:24pm On Feb 13, 2017
franfumu:
Since you claim to know, please educate us, why are 400 Nigerians suing baker Hughes company?

I have no concern with the 400 or so staff who are suing the company...

You're still dodging the main issue which revolves around your first allegation

Prove to the world that a staff left the employment of the company after 15 years of service and got only a pay-off of N500,000 which was not as a result of outstanding debts against him but as a result of willful intent of the company to cheat him.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

550 OpenAI Employees Ask Board To Quit Or They'll Resign. / Signs You Are Pursuing A Wrong Career. / FG To Investigate Case Of Pregnant Worker Beaten By Lebanese Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.