Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,443 members, 7,801,053 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:21 AM

Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times (9808 Views)

COVID-19: Stop Revealing Details Of Drugs Used For Treatment- FG Warns Survivors / Hunger Impact Of Covid-19 Skyrocket, As Londoners Turn 2 Church For Food (video) / See The ''Strange'' Baby A Young Girl Gave Birth To As Nigerians React. Graphic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Lautechgossip(m): 7:42am On Feb 14, 2017
The upward review of duties on imported products and goods by the Federal Government has raised prices of imported goods and products and is having deleterious effect on life generally for millions of Nigerians. But the area where the effects of the implementation of the new policy is biting most is in the health sector where it is causing patients and healthcare providers sleepless nights.

A circular by the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun to the Nigeria Customs Services, NCS, raised the duty payable on imported medicaments such as anti-malarials and antibiotics.

Following the directive on Tax for medicaments in the circular entitled “Import Adjustment Tax.”, a 20 per cent tax is being imposed on imported medicaments. No sooner was this announcement made than the prices of common Over-The-Counter, OTC, medications such as antibiotics, antimalarials and antipyretics jumped through the roof.

Essential drugs like antimalarials and antibiotics have become more expensive in recent times as a result of the implementation of the 20 per cent duty tax on imported medicaments by the Federal Government.

In a number of pharmacies, chemist shops and other drug retail outlets across the Federation, prices of these drugs have gone out of the reach of the average Nigerians.

Millions of Nigerians already impoverished by the biting economic recession are now having tough time purchasing these medicaments.

Fears by health watchers that the new taxation policy on every imported pharmaceutical drug and allied products, will trigger unparalled increases in prices are already founded.

Latest inventory of drug prices showed that the effect of the duty increase has been astronomical, and those bearing the full effect of the development are the end users, that is the consumers.

For most, gone are hopes of affordable and available health care.

A recent independent nationwide survey of prices of medicaments conducted by I CARE, a non-governmental organisation, shows there is an astronomical increase on the heels of the implementation of the new import duty policy.

Prices of drugs commonly used in the treatment and/ or management of some of the health challenges of Nigerians especially in the rural areas have shot through the roof in most drug outlets across the country. According to the survey, a common anti-hypertensive drug,
Co–Dovan, that cost N3,000 per pack before the 20 per cent duty took effect, now costs N10,000.

Meropenem Injection, a lifesaving antibiotic, normally used for complicated infections, was selling for N4,600 per ampoule, but now cannot be purchased for less than N18,000. Felene, a Non – Steriodal Anti- Inflammatory Drug, NSAID, normally used for treatment of Arthritic conditions, was N180 per pack, now it is N500 per pack. The drug is used for life.

Other drugs include Insulin for diabetics 100iu that was selling for N900, now costs N3000 in the shops; Ketamin injection, an Anasthestic agent used for surgical operations, used to be bought for under N1,000, is now N8,000.00;
Omeprazole an anti-ulcer drug was selling for N150 a pack, but now costs more than N1,000; Anti-Tetanus Serum (ATS), a life-saving injection for dog bites, and injuries from nails and sharp, rusty objects was N6,000 but is now N45,000; a box of eight packets of Omega H3 multivitamin capsules was N8,000, it is now N16,000; Vitamin B complex injection that was N1,800 per pack, is now N7,000 in the shops, while Fortuin injection used for crashing post operative pains,is currently selling for N18,000 per pack of 100 in the shops, compared to about N7,500 previously.

Also affected are Gyno – Trosyd for vaginal candidiasis, it was costing N1,400 per pack, but is now N2,500. Malaria drugs for adults and children are not spared. The average cost used to range between N200 and N500, but is now more than N1,000 for the cheapest.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/02/nigerians-face-harder-times-prices-drugs-skyrocket/

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by emzreus(m): 7:55am On Feb 14, 2017
Back to herbs I guess...ftc...

16 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by yomi007k(m): 8:17am On Feb 14, 2017
sad

Nna mehn.. ppl go die o.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Bilabong(m): 9:07am On Feb 14, 2017
See malaria drugs that use to be #400 now goes for #950...
I swear if I catch mosquito eerrh
Na mayweather things I go do am.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Emeskhalifa(m): 10:38am On Feb 14, 2017
sad Drugs add money, population of mosquitoes come increase join.
Then they Re so smart that you can't even kill them with bere hand sef cry cry

5 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by MrGreenMavro: 10:39am On Feb 14, 2017
grin

even the price of postinor don increase...now adays na 3 cd i dy wear at a time if i wan chook angry

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Nobody: 10:39am On Feb 14, 2017
God please deliver us from this man

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Nobody: 10:39am On Feb 14, 2017
Seriously

7 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by myfantasies(f): 10:40am On Feb 14, 2017
Which way Nigeria

16 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by FagsamPHP(m): 10:40am On Feb 14, 2017
Make una dey enjoy the Change, no be only wailers they suffer am.. Na all of us

14 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Pascalin90: 10:40am On Feb 14, 2017
It's only God we need in a time like this.

2 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Earth2Metahuman: 10:40am On Feb 14, 2017
Yet, salary remained constant

8 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by CriticMaestro: 10:40am On Feb 14, 2017
we are under sanction or recession?

12 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by westive21(m): 10:40am On Feb 14, 2017
Wonderful
Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Nobody: 10:41am On Feb 14, 2017
Bilabong:
See malaria drugs that use to be #400 now goes for #950...
I swear if I catch mosquito eerrh
Na mayweather things I go do am.

Just trim the bush around your house, pour expired engine oil in open gutters, and flit regularly.

And use a mosquito net....still less than N200.....

2 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Judah95(m): 10:41am On Feb 14, 2017
To all the Afonjas and APC supporters ..SHAME! grin

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Kaxmytex(m): 10:41am On Feb 14, 2017
There was a country...

backwardness everyday..

we dont have any choice, we have to stick with our herbs

dey dont want 2 see us move forward, if u ask dem why is it so, dey will say it is a sacrifice dat must be paid..

my fellow sacrificial lamb, we don enta one chance

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Benteazaa(m): 10:41am On Feb 14, 2017
What have we done to deserve this embarassed embarassed

5 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Kx: 10:42am On Feb 14, 2017
As if hunger, unemployment, boko haram, naf killing, armed robbery, payment for darkness light bill etc have not done enough already.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Barmmyshoes(f): 10:42am On Feb 14, 2017
Hmmmmm. You really need to thank God if you aren't treating any ailment or sickness.

I was in a pharmacy yesterday where i went to buy procold and a woman entered to buy a drug of #4500. She buys the drug every week for her sick daughter and she said that drug used to cost her #2130 before.

Me wey still dey complain of procold wey be #50 before which i bought for #90. Na so i just thank God oo my brothers and sisters.

my heartfelt sympathy to every patients in the hospitals. Their families are one of the victims of this exhorbitant increment in drug price.

I pray may divine healing descend on you guys. (Amen)

Check my signature for your stylish and quality footwears.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by leofab(f): 10:43am On Feb 14, 2017
Fed up already

1 Like

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Nobody: 10:43am On Feb 14, 2017
Even harbs don increase sef.. Garri and palm oil follow join even when it's not imported. Make una kontinue..

5 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Nobody: 10:43am On Feb 14, 2017
im sure the blood of those who voted bubu must be bitter so mosquitoes won't have to taste them.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by celestialAgent(m): 10:43am On Feb 14, 2017
G
Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Nobody: 10:44am On Feb 14, 2017
what you seek, you see
Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by conyema12(m): 10:44am On Feb 14, 2017
Buhari is a curse to Nigerians. Nothing more can be said.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by ameezy(m): 10:45am On Feb 14, 2017
I came grin
Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by 4oyrsExperience(m): 10:45am On Feb 14, 2017
God why! Whyyyyyy lord whyyyyy #sobbing....... who did we offend

Lord pls let ur will be done in nigeria. I cnt take this anymore

2 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by sirfemoz(m): 10:46am On Feb 14, 2017
What have we done to deserve this? Who did we offend? What is actually our sin? No money to eat a healthy food for healthy living, yet treating malaria that early missionaries gave us drugs for free is now difficult. Oh Lord, please come to our rescue cos it's obvious that there's no hope in this country.

3 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Nobody: 10:46am On Feb 14, 2017
Useless decision

1 Like

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by Mumben(f): 10:47am On Feb 14, 2017
God pls keep us in good health so that we may not have need of these drugs Amen.

3 Likes

Re: Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times by SalamRushdie: 10:48am On Feb 14, 2017
Many Nigerians are already dying daily because they can't afford common anti malarial

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cholera: Anxiety Mounts In Magboro, Ogun State, 10 People Feared Dead / Monkeypox: FG Suspends Importation Of Wild Animals, Sales Of Bush Meat / Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.