Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,279 members, 7,807,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:11 PM

21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s (1878 Views)

More Than 200,000 Children Married In US Over The Last 15 Years / 6-Year-Old Brother And Sister Twins Are Married In Buddhist Ceremony In Thailand / 53-Year-Old Lady Who Got Married In 2014 Welcomes A Bouncing Baby Boy (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by Nobody: 2:10am On Feb 15, 2017
1. Everyone nicely ask you if you’re “sure about this,” like you were about to do drugs or something.

2. People casually remind you of divorce statistics, and basically say that there is a bigger chance of you getting divorced because you’re doing this in your 20s.

3. You remember that you are actually very young, but that feels like a good thing.

4. When you look at the prices of something as simple as flowers to put on the tables, you realize that adult life is expensive (and you are broke).

5. The grandparents all get really excited that there is going to be a grandchild wedding in their lifetime, and that there is the possibility of great grandchildren.

6. Everyone assumes that you’re going to stop going out and having fun because you’re married, even though it doesn’t mean you’re any less single than when you were just dating.

7. You know that not everyone can afford to go to your ceremony, but are still surprised at the excuses people will make up for why they can’t go instead of “I just don’t have the money right now.”

8. A few people won’t RSVP in time just because Facebook has desensitized them completely to what it means to actually agree to go to an important event.

9. You start with a lot of really big goals about the kind of shape you’re going to be in by the time the wedding day comes around, and then you basically just settle on “I just want to fit in my dress.”

10. (Having the body of a 20-something definitely helps with all of your wedding day fitness goals.)

11. People ask you about all the things you “still haven’t done,” like you can’t accomplish goals once you’ve been married. (For the record, I’ve lived out of the country twice, and both have been after I’ve been married.)

12. Total strangers tell you how young you are.

13. You realize the separation between the women who are true feminists and the women who just act like they are until you make a decision that they don’t think is “good” for you. You’ll get a lot of concerned looks and talks about how you can do so much more with your life.

14. You explain over and over again that you are getting married because you want to, and because you love this person, not because you think you “have” to — you understand that there are plenty of people who choose not to get married.

15. Everyone tells you congratulations on Facebook and then occasionally forgets in real life that you’re getting married.

16. People grab your hand, talk about your ring, and then ask you how old you are.

17. Wedding planners and salespeople try to get more money out of you because they assume you’re naive (or that your parents are paying for all of this).

18. Your best friend helps you with the registry, and it’s like the best day of free shopping you’ve ever had in your life.

19. People ask you about whether or not you’re taking his last name, and are definitely judging you one way or the other based on your answer.

20. At least one person asks you if you’re doing this because you’re pregnant (but they try to do it in a slick way).

21. You look at your partner, the person you love so much that you want to dedicate the rest of your life with them and experience this whole beautiful world with them, and you remember that none of this matters. All the chatter and the negativity kind of fade away and you just remember how lucky you are to be in love.

4 Likes

Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by winetapper: 10:51am On Feb 15, 2017
Relate, I can wink
Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by Nobody: 8:08pm On Feb 15, 2017
I hope to get married at 27.

1 Like

Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by Acidosis(m): 9:02pm On Feb 15, 2017
Can't relate yet...

I hope to marry young. Public opinions are meant to be wrapped and shoved down the asses of the opinion givers. They're not meant to be taken seriously.

Nobody prospers by following the opinion of the public.

3 Likes

Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by geekybabe(f): 12:25am On Feb 17, 2017
Acidosis:
Can't relate yet...

I hope to marry young. Public opinions are meant to be wrapped and shoved down the asses of the opinion givers. They're not meant to be taken seriously.

Nobody prospers by following the opinion of the public.
Acidosis o grin

1 Like

Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by Nobody: 2:19am On Feb 17, 2017
Can't relate yet.
Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by austinereds(m): 4:26am On Feb 17, 2017
will. join this train. make opinion people leave trash for lawma.
Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by Nobody: 9:26pm On Feb 17, 2017
When you get pregnant,people look at you as if you are a victim of teenage pregnancy. People also assume you can be easily pushed around with no mind of your own.

2 Likes

Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by Nobody: 10:03pm On Feb 17, 2017
11. People ask you about all the things you “still haven’t done,” like you can’t accomplish goals once you’ve been married. (For the record, I’ve lived out of the country twice, and both have been after I’ve been married.)

Yes. once you are married. a goal you should achieve in 1 yr, you will achieve it in 5 yrs. Because you have to your family into considerations.

2 Likes

Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by poshestmina(f): 1:43am On Feb 18, 2017
The thought of having grown up kids when you're quite young is mind blowing ...I should be a grandma atmost at 50\55 . When you get married and get pregnant,everybody(women) wants to advice or tell you what to do ,eat , wear,say or even how to make love with hubby(if you permit them) like you were some underage teenager angryThe thought of having grown up kids when you're quite young is mind blowing ...I should be a grandma atmost at 50\55 . When you get married and get pregnant,everybody(women) wants to advice or tell you what to do ,eat , wear,say or even how to make love with hubby(if you permit them) like you were some underage teenager
Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by Tboy243: 9:08am On Feb 18, 2017
truthsayer007:

Yes. once you are married. a goal you should achieve in 1 yr, you will achieve it in 5 yrs. Because you have to your family into considerations.

I completely disagree with you. If you have an understanding family, u have no problem reaching ur goals at the exact time u have stipulated. Its just about commitment and sacrifices.

1 Like

Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by Nobody: 9:38am On Feb 18, 2017
Tboy243:
I completely disagree with you. If you have an understanding family, u have no problem reaching ur goals at the exact time u have stipulated. Its just about commitment and sacrifices.

Easier said than done.

2 Likes

Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by Tboy243: 10:25am On Feb 18, 2017
truthsayer007:

Easier said than done.
nothing good comes easy, whether you are married or not.

1 Like

Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by ThinkSmarter: 11:37pm On Feb 18, 2017
There is this girl that I love. I approached her for friendship but she neglected me, that unless I want to marry her.
Which I succumbed shyly cuz I don't want to lose her.
I ain't prepared for marriage.
Just graduated and serving.
I'm 28 and she z 24.
Pls, advise me on how to handle this issue.
I don't want to hurt her feelings.
Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by Tboy243: 12:18am On Feb 19, 2017
ThinkSmarter:
There is this girl that I love. I approached her for friendship but she neglected me, that unless I want to marry her.
Which I succumbed shyly cuz I don't want to lose her.
I ain't prepared for marriage.
Just graduated and serving.
I'm 28 and she z 24.
Pls, advise me on how to handle this issue.
I don't want to hurt her feelings.
it's as simple as making her realise you love her but you can't marry her yet cos u aren't prepared, but the best way to explain urself that she would trust nd believe you is by been loyal and faithful to her, if you can do that and she truly loves you, she'll understand and give you more time.
Re: 21 Things That Happen When You Get Married In Your 20s by ThinkSmarter: 12:25am On Feb 19, 2017
Tboy243:
it's as simple as making her realise you love her but you can't marry her yet cos u aren't prepared, but the best way to explain urself that she would trust nd believe you is by been loyal and faithful to her, if you can do that and she truly loves you, she'll understand and give you more time.
aiit,tnx

(1) (Reply)

Pls Advice / 7 Cartoons Your Kids Should Be Watching / Meet Lima Medina The Youngest Mother In World Medical History.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.