Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,125 members, 7,807,405 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:10 PM

Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) (20974 Views)

Ebonyi Masquarades Operating Phone (Photos) / Shocking Video Of Child Female Circumcision In Nigeria / Female Circumcision In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by NewsPoacher: 6:31am On Feb 15, 2017
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/02/two-ebonyi-female-students-recount-efforts-avoid-circumscision/

By Peter Okutu

ABAKALIKI- Two female students of Comprehensive Secondary School, Achacha 1 Community, Igbagu, in Izzi Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, last week narrated their ordeal at the hands of village men and women who had been forcing them to be circumcised by traditional birth attendants in the area. One of the victims who is 17 years old, identified as one Miss Mbam said that over 10 men and elderly women took her hostage to enable a traditional birth attendant circumcise her.

According to her, trouble started when her father informed her that she would be circumcised in a few days’ time, adding that not long after that, she was held hostage to enable an unnamed female health attendant circumcise her. She spoke with South East Voice during an Advocacy visit to Achacha 1 Community in Izzi Local Government Area in the State when a team of United Nations Children’s Fund, UNICEF representatives led by Mrs. Ijeoma Onuoha Ogwe and Mrs. Adline Idike of the Adline Advocacy for the Dignity of the Destitute Foundation visited her community.

Photo of Miss Confidence returning from where she went to fetch water for domestic chores in her community

“On the faithful day, when I was asked to proceed for the circumcision and I objected, about 10 men and women took me hostage, held me bound and forcefully wanted to carry out the circumcision. Fortunately for me, I managed to wriggle out from them and immediately ran to the Pastor of our church who took me in and haboured me for the night. “The next morning and still in a state of confusion, the Pastor came up with an idea that I should leave the village and travel to Cross River State and stay with my elder brother for the mean time.

“I left the village and went to stay with my elder brother until I was asked to return to the village following the quick intervention of UNICEF and other agencies that were reliably informed of the incident and they quickly intervened,” she said. The student who is in JSS 1 insisted that any further attempt to force her to be circumcised would make her escape from her home again adding that before now she had been enlightened in her school and church on the dangers of female genital mutilation which prompted her action.

Similarly, another 18 year old student of Comprehensive Secondary School Igbagu, who was simply identified as Miss Nweke and also hail from Achacha 1 Community also narrated her own ordeal explaining that she had also run away from home, resisting the attempt to be forcefully circumcised. According to her, she would have been mutilated at the age of 18 with all the pains and agonies associated with it, if not for the campaign by UNICEF and other agencies against the harmful practice. She urged other young girls in the community to also resist the attempt as that would save the community from such harmful traditional practices.

The father of Miss Mbam and Village Head of Achara 1 Community, Bernard Mbam confirmed his daughters story, saying that he had informed her about the plan to have her circumcised when she turned 17 adding however, that to his greatest surprise, his daughter escaped from the community and ran to Cross River State from where she was mandated to return home following the intervention of UNICEF. Chief Mbam said that with the enlightenment and advocacy visit of UNICEF to the community, he would henceforth lead the campaign against female genital mutilation and commended UNICEF and other non-governmental organisations for their efforts.

Meanwhile, there was a mild drama at the residence of Chief Mbam when three women including the grandmother of her daughter rained abuses on her and threatened to carry out the circumcision should the UNICEF team leave her behind. The situation forced the founder of Adline Advocacy for the Dignity of the Destitute to take the girl into protective custody. In an interaction with South East Voice, the Founder of the advocacy group, Mrs. Idike said that she decided not to allow the girl stay back in the village as the women were prepared to take laws into their hands by mutilating the girl’s genitals and face the consequences.

She stated that with the girl out from the village, she had saved her from the agony of being mutilated, stressing that her group would intensify the campaign in Achacha 1 Community and other villages in Izzi where the practice was still prevalent. The issue of circumcision has been an age long tradition in the community irrespective of the challenges and agony women faced during and after the mutilation of their private parts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by dingbang(m): 6:36am On Feb 15, 2017
Africa tho....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:38am On Feb 15, 2017
cry cry

1 Like

Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by temitemi1(m): 6:40am On Feb 15, 2017
embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by richdaddy75: 6:43am On Feb 15, 2017
Slavery mentality.
Nigeria is where we are today due to old belief, culture and tradition.
Same reflecting in our constitution.
Old constitution is no more relevant in this era. Eranko iwoyi lo le mu aja iwoyi. Brand new constitution, brand new thinking and brand new crops of politicians

1 Like

Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by kabrud: 6:55am On Feb 15, 2017
These our "highly educated blodas" from these "educated regions" can be very disgusting with this their brands of education.

4 Likes

Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by CplusJason: 7:15am On Feb 15, 2017
Destroying the lives of young girls through circumcision....

Say no to FGM

9 Likes

Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by Nobody: 10:05am On Feb 15, 2017
angry
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by wakes: 10:06am On Feb 15, 2017
In this age?
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by greatboom(m): 10:07am On Feb 15, 2017
grr
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by frisky2good(m): 10:07am On Feb 15, 2017
'Ba Ramo, e take e easy. Oro yi o le to yen. grin

BabaRamota1980:
Yanminri have all kind of social dillemas. These are people that post pictures of Yoruba tribal marks. Where are they to discuss female cl1tori circumcision in alaibo?
Awon were.

1 Like

Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by veekid(m): 10:07am On Feb 15, 2017
Africa is a cursed continent
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by lovelyjay: 10:07am On Feb 15, 2017
This time and age?
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by dbynonetwork: 10:08am On Feb 15, 2017
This OGUN STATE CULTURAL PRACTICE NEED TO BE STOPPED...

2 Likes

Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by patchsk(f): 10:08am On Feb 15, 2017
Ok
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by NevetsIbot(m): 10:08am On Feb 15, 2017
For GOd's sake. Imagine them trying to circumsize me while i'm awake.... Eeewooo. This is bad
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by purem(m): 10:11am On Feb 15, 2017
Wht is meaning of circumsition
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by Dongreat(m): 10:11am On Feb 15, 2017
For me female circumcision makes no sense. Scientifically men's own is healthy and help reduce susceptibility to STD but for female you are just killing her pleasure to sex. Shaving of the clit again makes no sense. Tired of African ladies not moaning but just eyeballs fixed during copulation.

4 Likes

Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by MrGreenMavro: 10:11am On Feb 15, 2017
angry
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by Nobody: 10:12am On Feb 15, 2017
richdaddy75:
Slavery mentality.
Nigeria is where we are today due to old belief, culture and tradition.
Same reflecting in our constitution.
Old constitution is no more relevant in this era. Eranko iwoyi lo le mu aja iwoyi. Brand new constitution, brand new thinking and brand new crops of politicians

you mean you read all that shocked shocked shocked baba u try, couldnt read all dat
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by priscaoge(f): 10:14am On Feb 15, 2017
Some parents don't know the implications of this female genital mutilation! It's barbaric! The poor innocent girl child grows up only to suffer the wicked and evil circumcision! Africans should stop destroying the futures of the girl child! This African mentality is sickening angry angry angry
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by lakefist(m): 10:14am On Feb 15, 2017
dbynonetwork:
This OGUN STATE CULTURAL PRACTICE NEED TO BE STOPPED...

Are you okay? Where in the post did you see OGUN state? Oponu!

9 Likes

Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by Mutuwa(m): 10:15am On Feb 15, 2017
veekid:
Africa is a cursed continent

Some cultures are especially this type,not the continent.
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by Nobody: 10:15am On Feb 15, 2017
FLATT...
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by opara28(m): 10:17am On Feb 15, 2017
issorite
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 15, 2017
Good for them . FEMALE circumcision should be BANNED

Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by megareal: 10:19am On Feb 15, 2017
From time immemorial, women have borne the brunt of nonsense traditions. Didn't know this horror is still ongoing in the 21st century.
Re: Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 15, 2017
This shouLd be abolished just like slave trade.

ASABA ULTRAMODERN MECHANIC VILLAGE AND AUTO SPARE PARTS MARKET NOW SELLING.
Check my signature.

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language / Catriona Laing Visits Ooni Of Ife [photo] / Oduduwa Was Not Igbo Prince – Oluwo Of Iwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.