Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,767 members, 7,802,347 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:53 PM

I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? (2056 Views)

Olusegun Obasanjo: I Had N20,000 In Account In 1999 Didn't Mean I Wasn't Wealthy / Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi / Ikwerre Person What To Know If North Threat Will Affect Them Or Not (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Yarduni: 10:13pm On Feb 16, 2017
If you say you are the "least anti-semitic", what would you be meaning?

I think the only meaning to this is that you are anti-semitic
but you just got a little bit of it.

or is there any other contrasting interpretation to it?
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Hollysaint: 10:15pm On Feb 16, 2017
Am here to read coments cos i dont know.
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Onechancearmy(m): 10:24pm On Feb 16, 2017
Donald Trump can be daft sometimes.

1 Like

Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Afam4eva(m): 10:32pm On Feb 16, 2017
You don't like jews but not a as much as majority of people who don't like jews?

1 Like

Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Emycord: 11:18pm On Feb 16, 2017
It is vast. But the true meaning can only depend on the context of the subject of discuss and the objective of the speaker
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by limeta(f): 2:18am On Feb 17, 2017
What Does I Mean?
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Yarduni: 8:19am On Feb 17, 2017
limeta:
What Does I Mean?

Edited grin
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Yarduni: 8:20am On Feb 17, 2017
Emycord:
It is vast. But the true meaning can only depend on the context of the subject of discuss and the objective of the speaker

What about reading the meaning as you hear the words. talking about the context of the subject and mind of the reader is a subjective matter
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by limeta(f): 8:22am On Feb 17, 2017
Yarduni:

Edited grin

bless
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by ImadeUReadThis: 8:24am On Feb 17, 2017
Fck all semites from the Ishmael branch
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Yarduni: 8:28am On Feb 17, 2017
ImadeUReadThis:
Fck all semites from the Ishmael branch

And you have no reason for this nonsense? You just want to comment abi? Stay on topic

1 Like

Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by ImadeUReadThis: 8:31am On Feb 17, 2017
Yarduni:

And you have no reason for this nonsense? You just want to comment abi? Stay on topic

Staying on your topic ; we are all racist to a certain degree.

An anti-semite to whatever degree is still an anti-semite.

As long as you describe yourself as anti-semite then you are anti-semite.

It is within the group of anti-semite that you see yourself less radical than the most extreme anti-semite by describing yourself as being "least " anti-semite.

Hydrosulphuric acid is more potent than Tri-oxo carbonate acid but that doesn't make the latter not an acid!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Yarduni: 8:07pm On Feb 17, 2017
ImadeUReadThis:

Staying on your topic ; we are all racist to a certain degree.

An anti-semite to whatever degree is still an anti-semite.

As long as you describe yourself as anti-semite then you are anti-semite.

It is within the group of anti-semite that you see yourself less radical than the most extreme anti-semite by describing yourself as being "least " anti-semite.

Hydrosulphuric acid is more potent than Tri-oxo carbonate acid but that doesn't make the latter not an acid!

Ok I get your point. You saying that even if I am most or least racist, I am still a racist.
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Babalegba(m): 9:07pm On Feb 17, 2017
Yarduni:
If you say you are the "least anti-semitic", what would you be meaning?

I think the only meaning to this is that you are anti-semitic
but you just got a little bit of it.

or is there any other contrasting interpretation to it?
I think you are being unnecessarily pedantic, in english it basically means that the person is not anti Semitic. You may say I'm the least racist person around to show that you are not racist and abhor racism
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Yarduni: 10:18pm On Feb 17, 2017
Babalegba:
I think you are being unnecessarily pedantic, in english it basically means that the person is not anti Semitic. You may say I'm the least racist person around to show that you are not racist and abhor racism

I think you don't yet understand what least means in a quantitative terms? Or do you deny that the term "least" don't have to do with quantity? Let's say I'm the most evil or I am the least evil, it shows I'm evil regardless of the quantity. Do you deny this fact?
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Babalegba(m): 10:36pm On Feb 17, 2017
Yarduni:

I think you don't yet understand what least means in a quantitative terms? Or do you deny that the term "least" don't have to do with quantity? Let's say I'm the most evil or I am the least evil, it shows I'm evil regardless of the quantity. Do you deny this fact?
Oga,I lived in the UK for over twenty five years so am accustomed to the way they use the language and the various contexts for communication needs.That is just the way the language is used.
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Yarduni: 10:47pm On Feb 17, 2017
Babalegba:
Oga,I lived in the UK for over twenty five years so am accustomed to the way they use the language and the various contexts for communication needs.That is just the way the language is used.

You didn't answer me.

When you say least? Are you talking about quantity or an amount of quality? Coz if you can't give me a coherent reply then you don't yet have an idea what my question is.
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Babalegba(m): 11:05am On Feb 18, 2017
Yarduni:

You didn't answer me.

When you say least? Are you talking about quantity or an amount of quality? Coz if you can't give me a coherent reply then you don't yet have an idea what my question is.
This conversation reminded me of when somebody asked some disgruntled employees how much payrise they needed to be be gruntled because he thought the 'dis' was preventing them from bring gruntled. It is a bit like trying to pronounce the p in pneumatic, psychology or the b in plumber,yes it is pronounced plummer and not plumBer as Nigerians mispronounce it. English is a nuanced language. Now on to the matter at hand,in any large society you will find anti semitic people and people who are not anti semitic at all as well as semitic ' Jewish' people themselves so when somebody says he is the least anti semitic, he is saying that he is not anti semitic at all.That is just their language and being pedantic will only obfuscate things.It is just an expression in their language and sophistry would not help matters
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Yarduni: 5:36pm On Feb 18, 2017
Babalegba:
This conversation reminded me of when somebody asked some disgruntled employees how much payrise they needed to be be gruntled because he thought the 'dis' was preventing them from bring gruntled. It is a bit like trying to pronounce the p in pneumatic, psychology or the b in plumber,yes it is pronounced plummer and not plumBer as Nigerians mispronounce it. English is a nuanced language. Now on to the matter at hand,in any large society you will find anti semitic people and people who are not anti semitic at all as well as semitic ' Jewish' people themselves so when somebody says he is the least anti semitic, he is saying that he is not anti semitic at all.That is just their language and being pedantic will only obfuscate things.It is just an expression in their language and sophistry would not help matters

You are the one confusing yourself, so whats the difference between saying 'I am Not' and 'I am the least' , remove all the pedantic and mind reading jargons out of the way
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Babalegba(m): 5:55pm On Feb 18, 2017
Yarduni:

You are the one confusing yourself, so whats the difference between saying 'I am Not' and 'I am the least' , remove all the pedantic and mind reading jargons out of the way
Okay , suit yourself mate
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 18, 2017
Babalegba:

the only hole in your logic is that trump is an American and speaks American English, not the British styled English so you are wrong and trump is an anti-semit and there is literally nothing wrong with that. Jews are not the most loved race on earth for a reason and the fact that you've lived in UK all your life doesn't make you the commander-in-chief of American English. Two different continents. Know the difference
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by EazyMoh(m): 6:22pm On Feb 18, 2017
It means you are not anti semitic. It's only a way of a emphasizing. miss like saying Dangote the least broke Nigga among them. Doesn't mean he's broke.
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Babalegba(m): 6:38pm On Feb 18, 2017
Dudeweedlmao:

the only hole in your logic is that trump is an American and speaks American English, not the British styled English so you are wrong and trump is an anti-semit and there is literally nothing wrong with that. Jews are not the most loved race on earth for a reason and the fact that you've lived in UK all your life doesn't make you the commander-in-chief of American English. Two different continents. Know the difference
Okay
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Yarduni: 7:34am On Feb 19, 2017
Babalegba:
Okay , suit yourself mate

I see i got you there, please update your "pedantics" grin
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Yarduni: 7:35am On Feb 19, 2017
EazyMoh:
It means you are not anti semitic. It's only a way of a emphasizing. miss like saying Dangote the least broke Nigga among them. Doesn't mean he's broke.

Whats the difference between "not" and "least"? If you can get the correctanswer then you will understand why your response is flawed
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by EazyMoh(m): 8:42am On Feb 19, 2017
Yarduni:

Whats the difference between "not" and "least"? If you can get the correctanswer then you will understand why your response is flawed
Grammar is not basically how individual meanings of words are put together to provide interpretation, it is how the general consensus agreed to apply to those meanings.
Many words tend to metamorphose when used together with other words in a phrase or sentence.
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Yarduni: 8:52am On Feb 19, 2017
EazyMoh:

Grammar is not basically how individual meanings of words are put together to provide interpretation, it is how the general consensus agreed to apply to those meanings.
Many words tend to metamorphose when used together with other words in a phrase or sentence.

Let's see this from the face value, as it is. Let's not be expert in reading people's minds.

Not is nothing, least denotes a certain amount of quantity or quality. So why would you say not and least can be used in the same terms?
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by EazyMoh(m): 9:24am On Feb 19, 2017
Yarduni:

Let's see this from the face value, as it is. Let's not be expert in reading people's minds.

Not is nothing, least denotes a certain amount of quantity or quality. So why would you say not and least can be used in the same terms?
Check out these two applications by Mcmillan and Dictionary.com in both cases least was used as an adverb to describe someone who has the smallest amount of anti-semitism than any other person which in real sense is like saying that someone isn't anti-semitic at all!

Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Nobody: 9:55am On Feb 19, 2017
Words in the English language generally have two forms of usage: Connotative and denotative.

Connotative usage depends on context and is largely colloquial. As a result of this volatility, it is frowned upon in formal writing.

Denotative is the dictionary meaning.

"Least anti-semitic" could get you a pass among a small crowd but in a formal gathering, say the UN, could have your head on a pike.
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by EazyMoh(m): 10:29am On Feb 19, 2017
There are aptitude test questions that use the same logic to test candidates. Saying "He is the least anti-semitic person" then you'd be given options like.
A. He is anti-semitic
B. He is not anti-semitic
C. He is sometimes anti-semitic
D. Non of the above
Which would you chose?
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Yarduni: 12:30pm On Feb 19, 2017
EazyMoh:
There are aptitude test questions that use the same logic to test candidates. Saying "He is the least anti-semitic person" then you'd be given options like.
A. He is anti-semitic
B. He is not anti-semitic
C. He is sometimes anti-semitic
D. Non of the above
Which would you chose?

Who gave you the authority to form your questions?
Because you can make one by adding 'a little bit e.g He is a little bit semitic because I think least means a little bit or smaller in quality or quantity.
Re: I Am The Least Anti-Semitic Person: What Do I Mean? by Yarduni: 12:34pm On Feb 19, 2017
boostdom:
Words in the English language generally have two forms of usage: Connotative and denotative.

Connotative usage depends on context and is largely colloquial. As a result of this volatility, it is frowned upon in formal writing.

Denotative is the dictionary meaning.

"Least anti-semitic" could get you a pass among a small crowd but in a formal gathering, say the UN, could have your head on a pike.

Good argument but that doesnt take the meaning away from the word said. Its not our job to judge if the person is anti-semitic or not but its approaching what its said. The person saying this is most certainly anti-semitic disregarding if its least or most

(1) (2) (Reply)

More Nigerians Visit President Buhari In Abuja House, London (Photos) / We IPoB Do Not Support Osibanjo / Igbo And Yoruba Descendants In USA Have Finished America, This Time For Good-1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.