Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,374 members, 7,800,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

High-tech Glasses Are Helping Blind People See - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / High-tech Glasses Are Helping Blind People See (586 Views)

High Tech Robot On A Russian TV Show Was A Man In Suit / Do You Know That Bottles/glasses Are Made Of Sand? / This ‘bionic Eye’ Lets Blind People See Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

High-tech Glasses Are Helping Blind People See by Besmart2: 7:32am On Feb 17, 2017
Blindness first crept up on Yvonne Felix when she was just seven years old. That’s when she was hit by a car that she never saw coming.“I was diagnosed with juvenile macular degeneration,” says the now 36-year old mother of two, who is legally blind. “By the time I was 13, I lost whatever sight I had centrally. By my late teens and early 20’s I was using a cane and braille. It was very lonely and isolating.”

Yvonne Felix has been legally blind since age 7. The new electronic eSight 3 glasses allow her to see.

ESight 3, a visor-like headset that uses a high-speed, high-definition camera, has changed the way the world looks for Felix. Where she once saw blurry shadows, she now sees details, like the expression on a person's face.“I can see everything, your eyes, that you’re smiling, the pattern on your blouse,” Felix describes as she demonstrates the new eSight 3 glasses last week in Oakland, Calif.

The headset looks like a cross between a pair of everyday sunglasses and a set of virtual reality goggles. They’re big, but not obnoxiously huge, and fit over the wearer’s prescription glasses via a pair of elastic, magnetic bands. On the front is a1080p camera that grabs a live video feed of everything in sight, pipes it down to a processing unit that tucks into a pocket or purse, then sends it back to a pair of OLED screens. The person wearing the headset sees full color video images clearly, with no lag time, and can zoom in. He or she can also capture photos and video with the device.

The Canadian company behind the headset is trying to change that. “What’s really unique about this device,” eSight CEO Brian Mech explained, “is that it lets Yvonne instantly auto-focus between short-range vision like reading a book or texting on a smartphone, to mid-range vision, seeing faces or watching TV, to long-range vision, such as looking down a hallway or outside a window.”

Each person who uses eSight 3 can control color, contrast, focus, brightness and magnification (24X). “It’s worked for 70% of people who’ve tried it on and allowed people with traumatic eye injury,some forms of glaucoma, and[more than a dozen other]conditions to see instantly.”
#BeSmArT

Source: http://amp.usatoday.com/story/97960470/

Don't forget to like our Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/besmartorganisation

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Best Breast Surgery India For Gynecomastia Trreatment In Delhi / Virus Has Dealt With My Files / A New "Tube Transport" System Could Get You From New York To Beijing In 2 Hours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.