Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,785 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:32 PM

PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London (12111 Views)

EHIOZUWA JOHNSON AGBONAYINMA Joins APC; PDP Lawmakers Jubilant / Lagos PDP Lawmakers Who Decamped To APC Visit Tinubu In His Ikoyi Home (Photo) / 6 Lagos Assembly PDP Lawmakers Defect To APC (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by BeeBeeOoh(m): 11:03am On Feb 17, 2017
Some opposition lawmakers on Thursday questioned the non-inclusion of one of them in the National Assembly delegation that recently visited President Muhammadu Buhari.

The lawmakers, including House Minority Leader, Leo Ogor, suggested there was a decision to exclude members of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, from the visit even though one of them – Ike Ekweremadu – is the Deputy Senate President.

Notwithstanding, the PDP lawmakers —exactly a half dozen in total— who spoke with PREMIUM TIMES in separate telephone interviews ,Thursday evening, said they were happy to learn from the media that the visit was productive and the president was in good health.
The reactions came a day after Senate President Bukola Saraki travelled to the United Kingdom with Speaker Yakubu Dogara and Senate Majority Leader, Ahmed Lawan, to see Mr. Buhari in London.

The trio arrived in London around Wednesday evening and met with President Muhammadu Buhari.

Mr. Buhari left Nigeria for London on annual vacation January 19, with a promise to return on February 6. He also noted that he would see his doctors while there and handed over power to Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.
But on February 5th, a day before he was due to return, the president sent another letter to the National Assembly, informing lawmakers of his intention to extend the trip until his doctors complete ‘a cycle’ of medical examination on him.

The prolonged absence, which came amidst raging economic crisis, got many Nigerians worried.
Although he had telephone conversations spread over several days with individuals, including Messrs. Saraki and Dogara as well U.S. President Donald Trump, startling rumours about his health persisted.

But the visit by the National Assembly leaders on Wednesday helped convince many Nigerians that the president was not dead or bedridden.
Mr. Saraki declared in a Twitter update shortly after seeing the president that there was “no cause for alarm.”

[b]Mr. Dogara reported Mr. Buhari was “fit as a fiddle.”=/b]

But some PDP lawmakers said Messrs. Saraki and Dogara should have included at least one member of the opposition on the trip.

Even though the lawmakers did not allege foul play or cover up during the visit, they raised concerns about absence of one of them.

Mr. Ogor likened the visit to a similar one paid by APC leaders, Bola Tinubu and Bisi Akande.
“You’re aware that the first visit was done by Tinubu and Akande,” Mr. Ogor told PREMIUM TIMES. “There was no PDP member that participated in that visit, so you can clearly see that it is more of a political party thing.”

Mr. Ogor, from Delta State, said he got wind of the visit early enough and was elated to see the president in good spirit.

“I have a hint of the visit much earlier. I saw the president smiling. I saw the Senate President smiling. I saw the Speaker smiling. And when I saw that picture, I also smiled.
“We thank God for his live. We wish him well,” Mr. Ogor said.

But he insisted that those who made the journey did so in their own personal capacity because there was no consensus amongst lawmakers delegating any group of persons for the journey.

“But I am convinced that that visit was purely based on political colouration. So, it is totally inconsequential because we were not invited.
“It is at the discretion of the president to invite whoever he wants to see him.

“It is not a National Assembly delegation. It is like a private visit to see the president. First, you know we’re not in session. Neither was there any resolution of the House or that of the Senate to go and see the president,” he said.
Mr. Ogor’s position was echoed by another lawmaker from Kogi State.
“I did not hear about this visit before,” the lawmaker said.

“I read it last night on PREMIUM TIMES and I was initially shocked, but then said to myself: ‘no need to be surprised about anything these people do.”

“Since we weren’t told ahead, I think it’s very clear that they weren’t making the trip on our behalf,” the PDP lawmaker, who sought anonymity so as not to be seen criticising the House leadership, said. “And they’ve clearly expressed that in the manner they picked those who went on the trip.”

A source in Mr. Ekweremadu’s office claimed the Deputy Senate President was not informed about the trip.
“They didn’t invite the Deputy Senate President on the trip,” the source said, refusing to be quoted. “They bypassed him down to the Senate Leader for reasons we still don’t know.”

The source’s claim could not be independently verified.
The source said Mr. Ekweremadu just returned from a trip abroad but would have followed them to London if invited.
“Yes, he just returned from abroad, but that could not have hindered him from being part of the delegation if they had extended him the courtesy,” he said. “If only to make him be the representative of the southern part of the country instead of all the northern politicians that made the trip.”

The House spokesman, Abdulrazak Namdas, and his Senate counterpart, Sabi Abdullahi, did not respond to requests for comments Thursday evening.
The spokespersons for Messrs. Saraki and Dogara also declined comments.

But Nicholas Ossai, a PDP lawmaker from Delta State, said he had no reservations about the makeup of the delegation.

Mr. Ossai said even though adding a PDP member would have been good, it would not make much difference since the delegates were duly elected by all lawmakers to represent the National Assembly as an institution.

“We believe in the Speaker and the Senate President,” Mr. Ossai said. “We have confidence in them that they’ll tell us the true position of things.”

“We didn’t elect them as APC Speaker or Senate President of the APC. We elected them on the basis that we have confidence in them and we believe in them to tell us the truth.”

“This is a leadership of complete explanation and transparency. Probably taking an opposition along would have been a boost, but, all the same, we believe in our leadership " Mr. Ossai Said

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/223753-pdp-lawmakers-criticise-non-inclusion-member-meet-buhari-london.html

1 Like

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by Etzakoos(m): 11:07am On Feb 17, 2017
Just Because They Want Him Dead

4 Likes

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by omenkaLives(m): 11:10am On Feb 17, 2017
E pain dem like fresh wound. cheesy

I thought they said he is dead. They should sit their sorry asses down. When his "corpse" arrives the country, they'd see him.

They are only wailing because there would be no estacode yams for them to eat.

Nonsense. cheesy

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by spartan117(m): 11:21am On Feb 17, 2017
They should ave taken at least one opposition leader

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by sekundosekundo: 11:31am On Feb 17, 2017
APC are not transparent at all.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by Funlordmaniac(m): 11:33am On Feb 17, 2017
Please they should not take any pdp member to visit the president in the london hospital! Before the hospital staff begin complain say their stethoscopes life support machines and cash dey miss.... grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by Dymo: 11:34am On Feb 17, 2017
Abeg help me ask them....

Lies and counterlies full everywhere....

E be like where you dey report conductor give driver... send fayose or wike..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by mars123(m): 11:35am On Feb 17, 2017
was Saraki not there, they should make do with him. He is one of them in mind and soul.

16 Likes

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by kings09(m): 11:46am On Feb 17, 2017
But PDP went there na ( saints Saraki n dogara)

1 Like

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by dukie25: 11:48am On Feb 17, 2017
I will only believe Buhari is ok when they allow Dr Peter Ayodele Fayose to examine him.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by Barmmyshoes(f): 11:48am On Feb 17, 2017
Hmmmmm..
Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by DONSMITH123(m): 11:48am On Feb 17, 2017
omenkaLives:
E pain dem like fresh wound. cheesy

I thought they said he is dead. They should sot their sorry asses down. When his "corpse" arrives the country, they'd see him.

They are only waiting because there would be no estacode yams for them to eat.

Nonsense. cheesy

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by SexyNairalander: 11:49am On Feb 17, 2017
booked
Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by ephi123(f): 11:49am On Feb 17, 2017
The question is why is buhari shamelessly staying in London? It is going to be 1 month on Sunday Feb 19. What kind of vacation goes on endlessly?

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by Wiseandtrue(f): 11:49am On Feb 17, 2017
The answer is not far fetched. It is very simple. APC knows nothing about governance.

With the exception of few, the rest are:

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by Goke7: 11:50am On Feb 17, 2017
abeg which pdp faction wan follow go visit PMB, markafi or the sheriff himself.

My advise to an pdp member who want to visit PMB is to first and foremost, decamp, then you can be included grin

2 Likes

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by AntiWailer: 11:50am On Feb 17, 2017
Eediots.

Senate PRESIDENT and Speaker went.

Is Saraki not PDP abi no be PDP vote am in and his criminal records is PDPic in nature despite carrying broom.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by SuperBlack: 11:50am On Feb 17, 2017
Una don do d man juju em leave em country go live for another like poor visitor. Now una wan go kill am final.
Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by keneto1424(m): 11:50am On Feb 17, 2017
sariki the pdp member is there pls no cauze fpr alam
Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by jmoore(m): 11:51am On Feb 17, 2017
Instead of politicians to sit down and do their work, they are busy traveling up and down.

Ndi ara!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by SuperBlack: 11:51am On Feb 17, 2017
Buhari is hiding in London like IPOB yoot that travelled without Visa.
Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by TerrorSquad147: 11:52am On Feb 17, 2017
dukie25:
I will only believe Buhari is ok when they allow Dr Peter Ayodele Fayose to examine him.
me too

3 Likes

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by nakamora: 11:52am On Feb 17, 2017
Saraki represent PDP,its that not a enough.Hypocrites should face Sherrif & Makarfi trouble.

4 Likes

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by frigs1: 11:53am On Feb 17, 2017
pdp don fade
Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by Sweetcollins: 11:53am On Feb 17, 2017
No pinshure! Haa
Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by SuperBlack: 11:53am On Feb 17, 2017
AntiWailer:
Eediots.

Senate PRESIDENT and Speaker went.

Is Saraki not PDP abi no be PDP vote am in and his criminal records is PDPic in nature despite carrying broom.
they are still Confuse oO.
Saraki Pdp? Chai.

You and APC are still confuse

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by yashau(m): 11:54am On Feb 17, 2017
pdp sha na wa oooo like say if their were invited their will go
Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by sekundosekundo: 11:54am On Feb 17, 2017
[quote author=DONSMITH123 post=53794586][/quote]

Re: PDP Lawmakers Criticize Non-Inclusion Of Their Members To Meet Buhari In London by rhymestech: 11:55am On Feb 17, 2017
AND SO? WHATS THE BUSINESS OF PDP VISITING THE PRESIDENT WHEN SARAKI IS THERE REPRESENTING YOU GUYS.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bandit Attacks: Protesting Zamfara Women Block Gusau-Kaduna Road / 2023: It Is Southern Region Turn To Produce Next President - Governor Akeredolu / Bandits Kill Three Niger PDP Delegates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.