Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police (35506 Views)

Audu Maikori Sues Governor El-rufai For N10billion Following His Arrest / Maikori In Cell With Herdsmen, To Appear In Court Monday / Southern Kaduna Killings: Audu Maikori Apologizes For Posting False Infor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by Drinokrane: 11:06pm On Feb 17, 2017

Audu Maikori, a Nigerian lawyer and CEO of Chocolate City Entertainment, has been arrested by the police. The arrest is linked to his tweets about a fatal attack on his relatives in Southern Kaduna that turned out to be false, his lawyer said Friday.

Mark Jacobs told PREMIUM TIMES that Mr. Maikori, 41, was arrested in Lagos around noon Friday by a team of police officers attached to inspector-general monitoring and intelligence team and was immediately transferred to the Force Headquarters in Abuja.
“I arrived at the Force Headquarters and learnt that a detention order has already been signed for him,” Mr. Jacobs said of his client. “I am not sure he will be released tonight.”

Mr. Jacobs said he was told by the police that a magistrate issued warrant for Mr. Maikori’s arrest and are planning to charged him with attempt to “incite” the public.
Police spokesman, Jimoh Moshood, did not immediately respond to PREMIUM TIMES’ requests for comments Friday night.

The arrest of Mr. Maikori, a vocal advocate for the plight of residents of the restive area, came nearly four weeks after he narrated an attack that purportedly took place in Southern Kaduna.

In a series of tweets on January 23, Mr. Maikori said his driver, later identified as Simon Joseph, told him that he lost his brother in a Fulani herdsmen ambush in Southern Kaduna and will be travelling for burial.
“My driver’syounger brother and five others students of college of education Gidan Waya were ambushed and killed by herdsmen yesterday #SouthernKaduna.

“They were in a commercial car going back to school when the driver stopped suddenly under the pretext of checking his engine #SouthernKaduna.
“As soon as the car stopped the attackers shot all 6 students but let the driver who is Fulani go. He gave us these details#SouthernKaduna.

“When we speak we are viewed as trouble makers by the Govt. Well I have seen the pictures and it’s a painful sight#SouthernKaduna,” Mr.

Social media users became livid after Mr. Maikori’s vivid naration of the purported attack.
The tweets were later picked up by some Nigerian newspaperswithout further checks.

Two days later, Kaduna State College of Education in Gidan Waya, where Mr. Maikori said the students were schooling, issued a statement denying any loss of students to an attack as described by Mr. Maikori.
The Kaduna State Government condemned the misinformation and the reporter responsible for the story in Vanguard Newspaper was arrested and charged.

On February 4, following intense criticism on social media, Mr. Maikori retracted and apologised for posting the tweets in a lenghty article that also offered detailed explanation of how he was misled by Mr. Joseph.
“I hereby tender an unreserved and sincere apology to the Management of the College of Education, Gidan Waya, His Excellency the Governor of Kaduna State and the Kaduna State Government, and also to the people of Southern Kaduna and the Fulani community and also VANGUARD newspapers whose source was my driver for the false statement by my driver which I also publicized believing same to be true,” Mr. Maikori wrote.
Mr. Jacob said Mr. Maikori’s driver was arrested a few days ago in Lagos, and had remained in detention ever since.

Mr. Maikori’s arrest caused social media buzz late Friday, with a prominent human rights activist and legal expert, Chidi Odinkalu, calling for his immediate release.
Mr. Odinkalu, a former Chairman of National Human Rights Commission, was among the first to raise alarm about Mr. Audu’s arrest Friday night.

“They should immediately release him because he had apologised for the tweets and I don’t think the matter is a criminal offence that warrants him being locked up for so many days,” Mr. Odinkalu told PREMIUM TIMES by telephone.

Over 200 have been killed and thousands more displaced in the latest violence between Fulani herdsmen and southern Kaduna residents.

A curfew Governor Nasir el-Rufai imposed in Zangon Kataf was relaxed last week.‎

Mr. El-Rufai said the attackers were herdsmen from neighbouring countries who had returned to avenge attacks on their relatives and livestock back in 2011.
The governor came under fire after admitting he had sent payments to the attackers to compensate for their losses, as part of efforts by his government to end the bloodshed.

A foundation laid by the Nigerian Army for the construction of a military base in the area was destroyed last week.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/music/223862-police-arrest-audu-maikori-chocolate-city-boss.html
Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by nikkypearl(f): 11:23pm On Feb 17, 2017
morscino:
g
g for gigawa sad

4 Likes

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by morscino: 11:30pm On Feb 17, 2017
nikkypearl:
Whenever I hear "arrest"...guess what comes to mind....

Seun Egbegbe grin
g for gigawa sad

Finally out instituitions are working,Audu claimed his driver misled him,did d driver also give him those pictures he was posting online?
This is suppposed to be a lawyer who should know better, by confirming information before making it public.
Audu incited violence by misleading d public,he realised he goofed some days later and apologised,but d deed had been done
I'm sure he would be released soon,he was probably invited to prove/deny his claims in d past and would probably be made to sign one or two documents.
I hope he learns from this.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by DIKEnaWAR: 11:38pm On Feb 17, 2017
We are in a police state. Our rights are being infringed and chipped away by this government. We have people supporting this monstrosity and it is growing till it becomes hydra headed and consume us all.

Those that set Buhari and his government on the path they are threading today, are those that gave him a messianic personality and cult followership. They make him think he is the best thing before discovery of crude oil, to Nigeria.

Napoleon is not always right!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by BruzMoney(m): 11:50pm On Feb 17, 2017
Bring back our president

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by Rapsowdee01(m): 11:50pm On Feb 17, 2017
.Nigeria Journalist whenever they see a news that'll help them sell...

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by TANKDESTROYER(m): 11:51pm On Feb 17, 2017
Hmmmmm
Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by tillaman(m): 11:53pm On Feb 17, 2017
Hmmmm, oga o
Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by ALAYORMII: 11:53pm On Feb 17, 2017
Did he chop yam or what happened??
Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by JamieNaij(m): 11:54pm On Feb 17, 2017
MI go drop album now

8 Likes

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by solid3(m): 11:55pm On Feb 17, 2017
Fake news everywhere. The era of fake news.

8 Likes

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by nely(m): 11:56pm On Feb 17, 2017
Freedom of speech I assure you,Freedom after speech I can't assure you...why didn't they arrest that guy that said on fb that they would kill all southerners if buhari dies..nonsense

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by bettercreature(m): 11:56pm On Feb 17, 2017
solid3:
Fake news everywhere. The era of fake news.
He should rot in jail,Several countries are presently looking for a way to stop fake news
It's doing more damages than good

15 Likes

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by rallymento(m): 11:57pm On Feb 17, 2017
They should release the guy...O jare!!!

If not Lai Mohammed should be arrested for all lies he has fed Nigerians with....

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by lastmaster(m): 11:57pm On Feb 17, 2017
abeg, who get Nokia pin mouth charger?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by MadCow1: 11:58pm On Feb 17, 2017
Che ya
Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by AgamaHub: 11:59pm On Feb 17, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by Nobody: 11:59pm On Feb 17, 2017
Nigeria has become a nightmare we cannot wake up from

17 Likes

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by Seun360(m): 12:00am On Feb 18, 2017
That's how they lied against BRYMO. Useless Abokis.

3 Likes

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by RisMas(m): 12:01am On Feb 18, 2017
And some idiots are already support and trending this Mumukori on twitter. Imagine tweeting some fake graphic images that fuelled the crisis in his home town without confirmation. But later made a scanty statement about how his driver misled him angry angry Did i hear he is a Lawyer? shocked shocked shocked I give up undecided undecided undecided

I support his arrest, No one is above the law joor angry angry angry

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by tafrica(m): 12:01am On Feb 18, 2017
Hell Ruffy failed to arrest those fulanis killing in Southern Kaduna, he even paid them instead. This same man is trying one John Danfulani, another critic of his government, in court. I ask, are the statements from these young men who criticize him and his governance more criminally weighty or dangerous than fulani herdsmen themselves who kill peopple without restriction? Suleiman talked against fulani, they hurriedly sent DSS after him, thanks to Fayose who thwarted the move, now they arrested Audu who has been constanly voicing out against genocide in southern kaduna just because one of his claims was wrong, which he has even retracted and apologised for.
How many have been arrested for accusing GEJ being behind BH, how many were arrested when they said GEJ's son was dead, was Hell Ruffy ever stopped from criticizing past goernment?
Why are these people afraid of criticism?
Apparently, going by this arrest, it's obvious Tuface was bullied to step down from #IStandWithNigeria protest.

I think, shouldn't we rather have Hell Ruffy, the man who once accused Christians of being behind BokoHaram, the man who recently accused ND militants for sothern Kaduna killings, as our president in 2019 for a more politically stable, peaceful and unified Nigeria.?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by RosaConsidine: 12:02am On Feb 18, 2017
Well, he has retracted the story and told us what happened. Have the police conducted a proper investigation to confirm he was trying to "incite the public" or is someone just using this to score cheap popularity (and probably political) points?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by guywitzerogal(m): 12:02am On Feb 18, 2017
nely:
Freedom of speech I assure you,Freedom after speech I can't assure you...why didn't they arrest that guy that said on fb that they would kill all southerners if buhari dies..nonsense
wat 're u saying If sleep don d worry you abeg go and sleep..... Wat is freedom of speech in this issues, the man mislead the public and u Dere typing freedom of sleep abi speech abeg go sleep is almost midnight

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by Dondave11: 12:03am On Feb 18, 2017
wetin I wan type sef
Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by Nobody: 12:03am On Feb 18, 2017
Seun360:
That's how they lied against BRYMO. Useless Abokis.
he is from the middlebelt _southern kaduna

1 Like

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by Nobody: 12:07am On Feb 18, 2017
The next thing that will happen like under the military regime,critics of the govt will start going on exile.never again will I vote for a Muslim in my life

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by Shadowy: 12:07am On Feb 18, 2017
Hmm
Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by babyfaceafrica: 12:11am On Feb 18, 2017
Okay...people should be careful what they post online

2 Likes

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by mustymatic(m): 12:13am On Feb 18, 2017
Nigerians misuse the social media
A lawyer for that matter

4 Likes

Re: Audu Maikori Arrested By The Police by madjune(m): 12:13am On Feb 18, 2017
He's guilty of alternative facts.

That's the trending name for his crime in White house now.

You heard it first from MadJ.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

DJ Cuppy, Her Sister Temi Otedola And Mr Eazi, During Super Eagles Match / Bbnaija's Anto Lecky Rocks Bikini (photos) / "We're Fine" - Stefflon Don Debunks Breakup Rumours With Burna Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.