Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,881 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:17 AM

Story-the Pet Store - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Story-the Pet Store (262 Views)

It’s An Abomination To Call Your Husband By His Name Or Pet Name - Pastor Says / This Is My Story- The Agony Of A Senior House Help (a True Life Story) / How To Train Your Dragons – Killing Pet Sins Before They Kill You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Story-the Pet Store by christainslove: 2:32pm On Feb 18, 2017
The pet store
Helen carried a bottle of seeds to the mice cage just after the counter and looked down. The mice were moving noisily round the cage. But then all around her pet store, animals of all different kinds were all making an awful lot of noise. Birds flapped their wings, cats meowed, dogs barked, monkeys played in their cage, and the rest of the animals were all moving in their cages. Well, it was a typical day in the pet store.
The door chimed. Helen turned around as a lady came in with her two young boys.
‘We want to buy a pet, please’ said the lady.
Helen nodded. ‘What kind of pet are you looking for?’
‘A dog’ said one of the little boys.
‘No, a monkey’ said the other.
Helen lowered herself to the height of the boys. ‘What a delightful set of boys you are’ she smiled at them. She loved little children. It was a pity she wasn’t married as she spent all day in her pet store, working.
‘I have no idea which one to take’ said their mother.
Helen stood up. ‘I have an idea, let’s look at all the dogs and the monkeys and see which one you like best’
The three of them nodded and Helen lead them to the dogs cage. Half an hour later, the family left the store, a puppy in the mother’s arms.
Helen took her mirror from her bag and a brush to straighten her red hair. She looked at her reflection as she brushed her hair. She was red-haired with slightly freckled face with blue eyes and a slim, petite figure.
It was time to work, she told herself and make for the store cupboard. Then she began cleaning the cages one by one. It was difficult but she loved taking care of animals as she loved animals. Once the store was clean, she
sat on the counter to work on the records.
Business was slow, but she managed to break even and pay her mortgage every month. Only two years and three more months, she told herself and the bank would be paid off and she would own the pet store.
The day passed quietly as usual and after dropping the day’s earnings in the safe, she made for the train station to get home.
She yawned easily as she climbed into bed that night.
The next morning, she stopped in shock in front of her pet store. There was a crowd gathered. She froze in shock. The front doors of the store had been shattered.
‘What happened’ she rushed into the store. The dogs, cat ,monkeys cages had all been opened and the animals taken. More of the animals in the pet store had been stolen.
She stared in despair. She ran to the bird cage to check on them, the rat cage next and then the frogs and all the rest. They all looked all right.

‘Are you all right, ma’ said a voice. Helen turned tear-filled eyes to see a police man standing next to her.
‘My store was robbed, I can’t find most of my animals’ she sobbed.
‘I am sorry, ma,we will do all we can to help find the culprits’ He said, writing into a jotter.
‘Please do’ Then she remembered. Her safe. She hurried to the back of the store, the police man following.
‘Oh’ The door of the safe had been destroyed and there was nothing inside.

‘My money, my money gone’ All the money she had been saving to use to pay October mortgage was gone.
‘Ma,please calm down’ The police man had to hold her as she was nearly fainting.
Helen tried to get herself. ‘I just cannot believe this has happened’
‘Why don’t you sit down’He helped her to a chair.
He asked her questions, taking her statement. She whispered her answers through a handkerchief.
When he left, she looked around her store. Feeling sad, she rang her mom.
‘Are you all right, darling’ Her mom clear voice rang out at her.
‘Mom, oh, mom’ Helen wept.
‘What’s wrong?’
Helen told her mom everything that had happened.
‘I am sorry, Helen, I know how much work you put in that store, do you want me to fly over’
‘Thanks, but no, I can handle what little I have left’
‘Come over to Ruten once you are done’ said her mother.
Helen spent the rest of the day tiding the store and feeding the rest of the animals from the little food that was left.
She sat down and held her face in her hands. Where was she going to find money to feed the animals ,run the store and pay her mortgage?. She was ruined financially.
‘God, thank you so much for your love, please help me to overcome this crises’ she prayed once she covered her hair.

During the next few days, her mind was made up. She wrote a sign. ‘Get a pet
for a dollar each’ in blue ink
Calmly, she put the sign on the doorstep .She had to do what was best for the animals that were left as she had no money to care for them.
It was for the best, she thought, feeling a stab in her heart.

The next day, she opened for business. Everything looked as clean as she could make it.
‘Anyone here?’ A group of teenagers trooped into the store. ‘Are you really going to sell a pet for a dollar?’ They said to her.
‘Yes, I am, this store is closing down’
‘Yea’ The teens yelped in delight
before going to select an animal
And so the day went. The news flew fast and lots of people trooped in and out, wanting to get an animal for a cheap price.
When the day was over, all that was left was a little gray cat.
‘Well, It is just you and me now’ She carried up the cat and rubbed it soft skin. She was going to relinquish the store to the bank tomorrow as she couldn’t afford the mortgage anymore. She was going to start from nothing again.
The aeroplane for Ruten took off flying over the clouds.
Helen looked outside the window. It had seemed not so long ago she had owned her own pet store and had a comfortable life. Now, she had no property as the bank had taken away her store and home.
She was returning home at twenty-eight with nothing except a box of clothing and a cat.
She stepped from the plane and looked around. The sight of the buildings, the scent of the soil and everything else was so nostalgic.
I am home again, she told herself.
Her mother was waiting at the car park. Mrs Ruby came forward and threw herself in her arms
‘I have missed you’ Helen laughed aloud for the first time since the incident. She put her suitcase in the car and her cat in the back seat.
They entered the car, driving past familiar streets in her home town.
‘Is that bakery still there?’Helen called warmly at the sight of the bakery with the softest bread in town.
‘Yea, everything is still the same’Ruby said.

They reached the small town house with stained windows just by the road.
‘We are home’ Ruby said. Helen picked up her cat, Jenny, and went to the boot to get her suitcase
She had lived in this house with only her mom for twenty years after her dad had died when she was five. Inside was still the same- with the soft cushions in the parlour, her mother’s painting on the wall and a corridor leading to three bedrooms.
She was home. She jumped on the sofa.

The next morning, Helen sat on the sofa and switched on the TV to the news channel.
A woman with long blonde hair was speaking. ‘Just yesterday, a prized monkey Donald,
escaped from the zoo, and a ransom of a hundred thousand dollars will be given to anyone who finds him or give information leading to his capture.The monkey is of a unique bread that has almost vanished’
Helen watched wide-eyed as a photo of the monkey appeared on the screen. It was brown with white spots all over.
A idea struck in her mind. The zoo wasn’t that far? Was it possible that she could find it?
‘Mother, I have to go somewhere,’ she told her mom.
She printed a copy of the monkey, grabbed a banana and collected her coat.
Outside, the wind was blowing hard
but she walked on.
First she checked by the side of the bank, then looked around nearby houses one by one, she stopped by the town hall and near the bakery.
All morning she searched, then all afternoon. it was soon getting late.
Finally, she walked through the park. Then she saw it near a stone seat. The monkey was hopping around.
‘Hey’ she bent low and looked at the monkey. ‘Want a banana’
The monkey quickly hopped to
her and she caught the little monkey.
Helen quickly walked straight for the Zoo. A look at the monkey and they let her in.
Everyone inside clapped at the sight of her carrying the monkey .The zoo officials rushed to collect him carefully.
A TV crew appeared out of nowhere.
‘What is your name’ it was a handsome reporter with lovely green eyes and a lean build.
‘Helen Dunt’
‘Where do you work?’ He asked
‘I am out of a job at present’
‘What are you going to do with the prize money?’ He continued.
‘I will open a pet store’ The one hundred thousand was enough to pay for a little pet store of her own without any loans from the bank.
‘Thank you for your help’ said the Zoo director and stood by her side as the cameras took their picture.

Helen returned home to find her mother screaming and her face on the Tv screen.
‘I can’t believe it’ said her mom. ‘You did it’

She held on to Helen and they cried together.
The very next day, they bought a small store in the Main street and they began setting up her shop.
She was adjusting a bird cage when the door bell rang. She opened the door to see the green-eyed reporter from yesterday. Helen recalled his name was Edward.
‘Hello’ he said, holding out his hand.
‘Hello’ she nodded. ‘Do you want something?’
‘Yes, do you mind going with me to Bible study tomorrow at Lake church?’
‘ Oh’ She had been so busy with her pet store in Brazan that she hardly had time to date.
‘Okay, fine’ she smiled. Behind her, her mother was beaming. Things were beginning to look up for her.

6 MONTHS LATER
‘Mother, I am ready now’ Helen came out wearing a simple wedding gown. It was the day of her wedding.
‘I can’t believe you are getting married today’ Her mother was teary.
Helen hugged her mother. ‘Everything is going to be fine, Edward is coming to live with us so you won’t miss me’
They entered the decorated car and the driver drove them to Lake church.
Edward was waiting down the aisle looking handsome in a white suit.
‘it is time’ said her mom. Helen nodded.
A small crowd was waiting inside the church. They stood up and the song ‘Here comes the bride’ played as Ruby walked her to the front of the church.
Ruby, Helen and Edward all lived happily ever after.

(1) (Reply)

Supplication And Its Manners, Conditions And Mistakes / Living Faith Church Live Stream "Miracle Children Banquet" Service! / Does True Love Still Exist?(love,misconceptions And Jesus)-part 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.