Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,389 members, 7,781,116 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:15 AM

What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform (67773 Views)

Senate Removes NYSC From The Constitution, Others (Pics) / Throwback Picture Of Buhari & Hameed Ali In Military Uniform / What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by Nobody: 12:46pm On Feb 19, 2017
I kuku don't understand Nigeria constitution and I don't want to understand sef
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by akoko11: 1:00pm On Feb 19, 2017
Nice one, so why are the officers assaulting Nigerians that wore it? Is it due to illiteracy or improper training
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by Yampotatocarrot(m): 1:33pm On Feb 19, 2017
I think d Nigerian army should stop brutalising citizens wearing t

Rather they should look for a friendly judge that will be ready to give d person one year imprisonment rejecting any form of bail.....

Do t to about 5 people n c how wearing camo will drastically reduce WITHOUT APPLYING VIOLENCE
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by lalabrother: 2:15pm On Feb 19, 2017
wordcat:
I bet that MOST of our soldiers don't know this, I'm even seeing it for the first time.
now you've been educated, right?

Still Dont know why lalasticlala, Seun and other superMOD won't push this to FP for others to be educated too
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by Nobody: 3:08pm On Feb 19, 2017
Unless you have gotten Express Permission from the Forces that be namely, President of Nigeria, Governor or your State, Military Commandant in Charge of the Division of that region or you are a high-class Entertainer like Davido, 2Face or Bruna boy or Sunny Ade (even that you still need to secure permission)

YOU CANNOT WEAR A MILITARY GARB OR ONE RESEMBLING IT PERIOD. POINT. BLANK.

PASTORS are warned.. you are the only profession in the class of entertainers that are expressly disallowed from wearing military wear (not provided) in the Nigerian Constitution. you are duly WARNED

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by Fiverrgig(m): 3:42pm On Feb 19, 2017
Constitution or no constitution... I can't even wear it even when all my military relatives are around me. I still respect myself.
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by wordcat(m): 3:54pm On Feb 19, 2017
lalabrother:
now you've been educated, right?

Still Dont know why lalasticlala, Seun and other superMOD won't push this to FP for others to be educated too

Yeah, I thought it was a criminal act before
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by wordcat(m): 3:57pm On Feb 19, 2017
Yampotatocarrot:
I think d Nigerian army should stop brutalising citizens wearing t

Rather they should look for a friendly judge that will be ready to give d person one year imprisonment rejecting any form of bail.....

Do t to about 5 people n c how wearing camo will drastically reduce WITHOUT APPLYING VIOLENCE

What do you mean by friendly judge?
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by loomer: 4:26pm On Feb 19, 2017
"And with intent"
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by Olateef(m): 4:27pm On Feb 19, 2017
Na to get plenty 10 naira with me be that.. any time a soldier harass me, I will just give him 10 naira
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by SmartyPants(m): 4:30pm On Feb 19, 2017
Naijiant:

I have highlighted the relevant part of the law. It is not an offence to wear military or police uniform unless you wear it with the intent to impersonate a soldier or a policeman.

That intention will be objectively judged though. Merely protesting that "i did not intend to impersonate a soldier or policeman" will not suffice before a judge.
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by YOUNGrapha(m): 4:32pm On Feb 19, 2017
lemme summarise this thing to olodos in the house...

what they are trying to say is that if any means u aren't RICH/FAMOUS/CONNECTED/POPULAR/POLITICIAN/GOVERNOR SON/MINISTER SON/MILLIONAIRES SON/JUNIOR BROTHER TO A MILITARY MAN/COUSINS TO A RICH MAN etc do not wear a military comor in dream or in reality...otherwise u will hear wiiiiiiiiiiii grin

3 Likes

Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by Doyin2(m): 4:40pm On Feb 19, 2017
op your headline is very misleading.

The constitution is different from an act of parliament.Both the constitution and act are both laws.

An appropriate heading should have been:

What The Constitution Law or Act Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform

2 Likes

Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by uchwar1: 4:40pm On Feb 19, 2017
Naijiant:

I have highlighted the relevant part of the law. It is not an offence to wear military or police uniform unless you wear it with the intent to impersonate a soldier or a policeman.
go and wear it. keyboard warrior
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by 4everGrand(m): 4:42pm On Feb 19, 2017
fabre4:

Provided that this section shall not apply to the wearing of any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play or in any bona fide public entertainment.

Celebs could say they where it for public entertainment

Any person who, not being a person serving in the armed forces of Nigeria nor a member of the police forces, and "with intent" that he may be taken to be

I think this means civilians can where uniform as long as the don't impersonate Uniform officers or make it appear to look like they are officers as long as they can maintain their civilian status they should br fine.

U see, this back and forth interpretation would be unnecessary if u do not wear the stuff.

When they beat u finish, one, u won't have any strength to be interpreting and useless law. Two, u won't have anybody to come defend you.

A word is enuf for the wise.
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by Alvino1(m): 4:43pm On Feb 19, 2017
Although we practice a democratic system of govt here in Nigeria, but there is a big dffrence btwn "the law as it is, and the law as it oughts to be...
Beating of a civilian by military personels/officers 4 wearing the military uniform, is the law as it is, while the various mentioned sections of the above mentioned laws are the law as it oughts to be..
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by Spells(m): 4:45pm On Feb 19, 2017
Knowledge is power..
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by Nobody: 4:49pm On Feb 19, 2017
the law is unreasinable and should be overturned . as we can see from the case of this brutalized man it is not a productive law

They should just make the army's unifotns more distinctive
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by sheyinoni(m): 4:51pm On Feb 19, 2017
Ighoga898:
And since when Davido & d rest exempted 4rm dis law?
Dem no born dem well to wear am for public,worse still near barrack
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by Ephort: 4:55pm On Feb 19, 2017
Naijiant:

Section 109 is different from 110 & 111. It's S.109 that talks about intent, and that's why the penalty is higher (one yr imprisonment with no option of fine). It's an offence to wear any form of military or police uniform or badge, and the penalty is 1mnth imprisonment or N10 naira.
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by d33types: 4:59pm On Feb 19, 2017
Ighoga898:
Did you read the section at all?
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 19, 2017
Naijiant:

That's a good observation but what about the 110 which says those who wear it "unlawfully", I.e. with no evidence of permission from the governor or appropriate authority. Me I just observed that the Nigerian Constitution generally is confusing and in two parts - one part for the rich and those who can afford to manipulate when it's time for defense, the other part for the poor which would be quoted for you if you are unfortunate enough to commit a crime grin
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by jahsson(m): 5:02pm On Feb 19, 2017
Milonis:
Only in Nigeria...Smh. In the US wearing a camouflage outfit whether cap, jackets or Tshirt signifies your love, respect and solidarity with the members of the Armed forces. In fact, this is the case in all civilized world, I guess Nigeria is just too backward to reason well as a country. Smh

Very true... But some unscrupulous entities will wear it with the intent to impersonate...
Thats 9ja for u.. A lot of ppl ave been caught flying d camo in pretence, all in d bid to oppress and to have a feel of the power that comes with the uniform ...

In d case of d handicapped guy.. He didnt wear it for negative reasons... Thats probably all he had to wear...

Anyway... All dis one nah grammar... 9ja is all about .."Monkey see Monkey do"... Nor be everything be baff up for 9ja...
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by TheVictorious(m): 5:06pm On Feb 19, 2017
Ighoga898:

They are renowned entertainers. If you catch them, they can tell you they were going to entertain people!
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by xreal: 5:14pm On Feb 19, 2017
If you like, believe that constitution; memorize the section, wear camo and waka pass military check point. When dem question you, begin quote am, you are O.Y.O.
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by adecz: 5:14pm On Feb 19, 2017
IPOB Sergeant Major grin

2 Likes

Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by nwadiuko1(m): 5:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
SmartyPants:

That intention will be objectively judged though. Merely protesting that "i did not intend to impersonate a soldier or policeman" will not suffice before a judge.
i think the onus is on whoever that is taking you to court....to prove that you actually have intent to impersonate.....
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by derrick333(m): 5:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
Ighoga898:
. ten naira? I think Davido n others v paid like hundreds of thousands in advance,Dem fit wear am till Dem die
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by SycophanticGoat: 5:21pm On Feb 19, 2017
owobokiri:

Did you say above what? 200 million? Anybody who steals above 500k should face the firing squad..

Meanwhile that obsolete law should be quickly amended..

Did you say 500k? As for me, anyone who steals above 5k should be hanged by the balls..

1 Like

Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by derrick333(m): 5:22pm On Feb 19, 2017
Ukalejohn:
#10 abi... Issorite
No fear wear ur camo with at list 500 for pocket,u go jus de Rodger dem[color=][/color] grin
Re: What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform by Gassa007: 5:26pm On Feb 19, 2017
chuka5000:
if u wear camo because the constitution gave u the right to.
by the time those korofo beat u finish, u won't even remember to call a lawyer to sue them because u will be in the hospital.
We're here trying to correct them,you're blindly hailing them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EFCC Discovers N400Million Hidden In A Shopping Plaza In Lagos (Pics, Vid) / Nnamdi Kanu Goofed By Staying Away From Parent's Burial / Boko Haram Kills 70 Soldiers In Borno Ambush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.