Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,913 members, 7,799,075 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

What Will Your Wedding Cost? - Events (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / What Will Your Wedding Cost? (10843 Views)

Five People That Can Ruin Your Wedding Ceremony / Decorate Your Wedding Halls And Reception At An Affordable Price. / What Is Your Worst Fear On Your Wedding Day? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by ayobase(m): 12:02pm On Dec 17, 2009
with N100, I can arrange
a grand wedding in 1972!

Lets wait until the dollar equals naira!
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by FMK(m): 12:05pm On Dec 17, 2009
ayobase:

with N100, I can arrange
a grand wedding in 1972!

Lets wait until the dollar equals naira!

it will be the end of the world
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by cadno(m): 12:43pm On Dec 17, 2009
compare comments by sisters wanting it BIG!!!! and Guys want it small - na our hard earned money naaa- ,

Sisters, please na how to feed una after be the thing OOOO
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by GNBohr: 12:45pm On Dec 17, 2009
Cost from zero to infinity, depends on so many intrinsic and extrinsic factors. Marriage is the greatest risk you can enter into. Wedding is the most sentimental ceremony you can celebrate. My reservation is the often senseless manners people go about celebrating weddings, particularly in Nigeria. In as much as I do not disagree with how anyone wish or want to or plan to spend on his/her wedding, my concern is that most people go aborrowing or exhaust their life savings just to please their stupid ego. The reason is that they want to impress but no, they are wrong good impression is not in the wedding but in the marriage. The poorest celebrated weddings survive marital challenges whilst the best celebrated weddings pack up at the slightest touch of marital challenge.

In Nigeria today, wedding has been bastardised that we dont even know what wedding is all about. Typically, a couple engages in three to four level wedding ceremony:
Introduction
Engagement
Court Wedding
Church Wedding or Nikhai

Traditionally, wedding is all about introduction and engagement. These two rites are combined as one ceremony and couples are blessed and sanctify to start a family. Colonial rule introduced court wedding as an alternative and in those days those who felt some reservations for traditional mode opted for court weddings. Christianity and Islam brought their own wedding rites and injunctions and the respective practitioner of the two faiths celebrated what is called white wedding amongst Christians or Nikhai amongst muslim faithfuls.

But over time these wedding options have become a sine qua non to tying the nuptial knots. That is my worry and it leaves distaste in my mouth. How on earth can anyone explain celebrating wedding going through four different types of stages. A friend of mine just wedded and spent about six months concluding the his wedding ceremony. He invited me to the traditional slated for March in Kogi State and told me it was not compulsory since I resided outside the country and said he preferred I attended the main one which is a court wedding in Ikoyi Registry slated for April. I attended the beautiful ceremony and played my part and forgot about it. In June he told me he was having another ceremony, this time a church wedding slated for July. I was shocked and asked him why he was celebrating four different weddings to one particular woman. His answer was that his in-laws want it that way.

If you can afford to spend billions on a wedding, please go ahead but decide which type you want and do not go about celebrating four weddings to a single person. In UK and US, wedding ceremony no matter how expensive is done their usual way - white wedding and reception where they entertained invited guests. Family introductions are without pomp and pageantry associated with our own in Nigeria.

The problem is as Africans, we want to wed the African's way, as elites, we want to wed the European's way, we also want to wed as per our faith. We end up running out of the way budget and unduly stressing our finances beyond limit. By the time we finish the ceremony, we were in financial distress and labour without end to provide for the marriage. Ludicrously most people cant really afford these things, they will even borrow cars to transport the bride and the groom in. What is the essence of riding in an Escalade during your wedding and end up moving around in your rickety Toyota Carina after the wedding. Some don't even have personal cars.

So your wedding the way you like but don't end up hating and fighting each other for creating wrong impression of life after marriage for overdoing things.
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by rukie(f): 1:06pm On Dec 17, 2009
smiley[color=#550000][/color]
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by PupetMasta(m): 1:06pm On Dec 17, 2009
Many people cheap for here, I will be attending a wedding that is costing around 10 M (naira), that does not include wedding gown, the grooms tux and the couple's wedding band/ring. Please note the couples have a roof over their head already. It is not a matter of suffering after the wedding

As this couple don set precedence, other weddings after this in the family will have to continue in ascending order, I just wonder how much I will be expected to spend when it comes to my turn. Left to me I will prefer to use technology for my wedding i.e video conferencing, no need for all the emotional wahala and physical wahala and it is relatively cheap (less than a million naira)
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by chocomillo(f): 1:44pm On Dec 17, 2009
We would rather buy a house than spend £50,000 for a day.It's ridiculous to go into debt just for one day cool
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by ozalogbo: 4:14pm On Dec 17, 2009
Two weeks ago, a friend who just got married a few months ago confessed in shame that in spent N1.7m on his wedding and all the money he realised was N80, 000 after the wedding. He went out of his way to impress people and now he is facing the financial backlash. I did not fail to reprimand him. While no one will legislate on how much you may spend on your wedding, you must be guided by certain knowledge: life after the wedding. Be yourself and do things your own way.
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by FMK(m): 4:21pm On Dec 17, 2009
ozalogbo:

Two weeks ago, a friend who just got married a few months ago confessed in shame that in spent N1.7m on his wedding and all the money he realised was N80, 000 after the wedding. He went out of his way to impress people and now he is facing the financial backlash. I did not fail to reprimand him. While no one will legislate on how much you may spend on your wedding, you must be guided by certain knowledge: life after the wedding. Be yourself and do things your own way.

Uhhh Uhh sad

1 Like

Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by etaurus(m): 5:25pm On Dec 17, 2009
Depends on the gurl, if she is worth it, may spend but not much,
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by smallboy2(m): 5:33pm On Dec 17, 2009
Just Try your possible best to make your wedding the best. But remember the family you came from and the family you married from simultaneously
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by Binutiri(m): 5:40pm On Dec 17, 2009
For instance, you must firstly put into consideration your life after the Wedding.
Food for thoughts, or nah thoughts for food,
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by etaurus(m): 5:42pm On Dec 17, 2009
smallboy2:

Just Try your possible best to make your wedding the best. But remember the family you came from and the family you married from simultaneously
Sense
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by baslone: 5:57pm On Dec 17, 2009
etaurus:

Depends on the gurl, if she is worth it, may spend but not much,

Which means- you can marry any kind of girl but will only
spend much only if you are fortunate to meet someone special!! shocked
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by africhika(f): 7:35pm On Dec 17, 2009
a swimming pool full of $$$ smiley
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by smasher1(m): 12:42am On Dec 18, 2009
Me I dont know Oooo!
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by MugSmasher: 1:13am On Dec 18, 2009
How can i pay money for a prostitute and sponsor a wedding after she has opened her smelly p*ssy for so many men and i will be the one that will now drool over that smelly thing and spend my life savings to help provide for her happiest day while the guys that f*cked her porous by making sperms ooze all over her mouth, p*ssy and in her ass would be laughing somewhere at me for spending lavishly at his LovePeddler?

Never!

I can only spend if she is a virgin. Imagine me saying for better for worse at the altar and thinking of all the deep anal sex Emeka, Kunle or Umaru was drilling into her . . . Iyama! And the biatch would be smiling and pretending as if she hasnt seen a naked skeleton in a biology lab before. I would rather keep knacking her continously and giving her false hope that i would marry her while she develops grey hair waiting for me and when she is tired and leaves, i would just pick another one and continue where i stopped. No point living in misery over these whores for better for worse and spending my hard earned money to marry them! Not in this life or the next!
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by ebonie(f): 7:54am On Dec 18, 2009
[size=16pt]
Purple Touch[/size]

We do :

+    Event decoration ( balloon, lights, fabric draping etc)

+    Event Management and Co-ordination

+    Flower arrangements (natural and artificial)

+    Bouquets

d_ebonie@yahoo.com

Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by baslone: 9:52am On Dec 18, 2009
MugSmasher:

I can only spend if she is a virgin.

I used to think like that when I was a broke-asre! grin
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by Witi(m): 10:45am On Dec 18, 2009
GNBohr:

Cost from zero to infinity, depends on so many intrinsic and extrinsic factors. Marriage is the greatest risk you can enter into. Wedding is the most sentimental ceremony you can celebrate. My reservation is the often senseless manners people go about celebrating weddings, particularly in Nigeria. In as much as I do not disagree with how anyone wish or want to or plan to spend on his/her wedding, my concern is that most people go aborrowing or exhaust their life savings just to please their silly ego. The reason is that they want to impress but no, they are wrong good impression is not in the wedding but in the marriage. The poorest celebrated weddings survive marital challenges whilst the best celebrated weddings pack up at the slightest touch of marital challenge.

In Nigeria today, wedding has been bastardised that we dont even know what wedding is all about. Typically, a couple engages in three to four level wedding ceremony:
Introduction
Engagement
Court Wedding
Church Wedding or Nikhai

Traditionally, wedding is all about introduction and engagement. These two rites are combined as one ceremony and couples are blessed and sanctify to start a family. Colonial rule introduced court wedding as an alternative and in those days those who felt some reservations for traditional mode opted for court weddings. Christianity and Islam brought their own wedding rites and injunctions and the respective practitioner of the two faiths celebrated what is called white wedding amongst Christians or Nikhai amongst muslim faithfuls.

But over time these wedding options have become a sine qua non to tying the nuptial knots. That is my worry and it leaves distaste in my mouth. How on earth can anyone explain celebrating wedding going through four different types of stages. A friend of mine just wedded and spent about six months concluding the his wedding ceremony. He invited me to the traditional slated for March in Kogi State and told me it was not compulsory since I resided outside the country and said he preferred I attended the main one which is a court wedding in Ikoyi Registry slated for April. I attended the beautiful ceremony and played my part and forgot about it. In June he told me he was having another ceremony, this time a church wedding slated for July. I was shocked and asked him why he was celebrating four different weddings to one particular woman. His answer was that his in-laws want it that way.

If you can afford to spend billions on a wedding, please go ahead but decide which type you want and do not go about celebrating four weddings to a single person. In UK and US, wedding ceremony no matter how expensive is done their usual way - white wedding and reception where they entertained invited guests. Family introductions are without pomp and pageantry associated with our own in Nigeria.

The problem is as Africans, we want to wed the African's way, as elites, we want to wed the European's way, we also want to wed as per our faith. We end up running out of the way budget and unduly stressing our finances beyond limit. By the time we finish the ceremony, we were in financial distress and labour without end to provide for the marriage. Ludicrously most people cant really afford these things, they will even borrow cars to transport the bride and the groom in. What is the essence of riding in an Escalade during your wedding and end up moving around in your rickety Toyota Carina after the wedding. Some don't even have personal cars.

So your wedding the way you like but don't end up hating and fighting each other for creating wrong impression of life after marriage for overdoing things.

Nice post. you've said it all.
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by jolly87(f): 2:03pm On Dec 18, 2009
i feel it is good to cut ur cloack according to ur size. as for me if u ve the money, enuf of it then u can spend it on ur weddin cos its once in a life time nd a memoarable day, but if u dont u can make it simple,sweet nd still memoarable. cool
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by PupetMasta(m): 2:28pm On Dec 18, 2009
lmao @ mugsmasher's comment, I feel u but u cant always go about like that, u will be paranoid and will not enjoy life
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by Janet101(f): 9:29am On Dec 19, 2009
I wil nt spend much,i just want 2 be happy wit my new family
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by nihinlade(m): 11:22am On Dec 19, 2009
It is saddening that out of several recent posts here, only 2 or 3 are reasonable. Why lavishing all you ve got on wedding? Why not plan ahead for the security,financial stability,future of your home? Why spending beyond your sinew. Wedding cost depends on how bouyant one is. It's worth planned like a year before the actual time, so at least if you wish to make it let's say from 900k to 1.4mil, you can start saving like 80k monthly. The success of wedding is a good home. Shekinah!

Gbam !
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by deluxecad(m): 5:44pm On Dec 19, 2009
OK. I CHECKED. IT'LL COST ME #3,124,667.87 TO DETAILS. cheesy
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by fitinwell: 11:59pm On Dec 19, 2009
Well 2 tins plan your marital life but engaging in any activities, humorously insure your wedding just incase there is power faliure or you discover she is not a virgin u can always have your money back.

Or

Call for sponsorship you will be suprise that you don't have to touch your hard earnings in just 4hours playlet,
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Dec 20, 2009
I av never been an advocate of lavish spending. What matters most is d understanding and lasting luv dat exist btw d couple. Hw much money one spends on a wedding( whether a small or huge amount), will not determine hw long d marriage will last or hw happy d couple will b in d marriage. Infact, if i can av only ten ppl present on dat day, i wuld b glad. I just cant stand a biggg wedding.
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by baslone: 7:56pm On Dec 20, 2009
After all the millions spent on wedding, I know girls
who still kip extra-marital affairs.
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by tennis: 8:06pm On Dec 20, 2009
looooool @ madambini , I would borrow your idea, i'm not sure about under Falomo bridge tho?

Actually I would have scrapped the Reception if it wasnt for the fact that it is where u get back some of the money you've spent on the wedding,

Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by Nobody: 6:32am On Dec 21, 2009
As much as i can afford;no bad debt,no show off & no spending spree!
Re: What Will Your Wedding Cost? by chukwudi01: 10:07am On Dec 22, 2009
After witnessing the millions my parents have spent on funerals over the past years, I'm afraid to see how much they'll try to make me spend on a Naija wedding. I'll probably stay in America and elope lol. I guess it all depends on what the future wife wants though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where To Buy Natural Sea Salt In Lagos, Nigeria / Popular Pastor Funke Adejumos' Son Weds In Akure (photos) / Nollywood Actress Ajanigo Simeon Traditional Wedding...(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.