Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,966 members, 7,799,283 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria (54305 Views)

"Classic 50 Songs": 9ice Releases 50 Track Album / Mfm Spiritual Warfare Songs By Dr D K Olukoya (download) / List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by hitman2911: 8:26pm On Feb 20, 2017
Hello Africa- Eddy Grant was the signal tune for VOA Africa for decades.
Eddy Grant most popular song in Lagos\Ibadan in the 80s was a yoruba song, about love and looking for his lover -dont know title.

Agolo - Angelique Kidjo was the signal tune for BBC outlook "Ori ori o Olajumoke lo"

Mori Kante - Yeke yeke was a daily dose on NTA

Magic System Ghaou adaptation by Tope Alabi into Yoruba gospel made her popular back then

2 Likes

Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by morzook(m): 8:26pm On Feb 20, 2017
please click the link and sign the petition urging the CBN and federal govt to ease the forex laws as it is causing untold hardship to millions. It isn't certain this would work but its better than nothing. please sign and share

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/buhari-emefiele-cbn-please-relax-the-current
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by shakurkings(m): 8:27pm On Feb 20, 2017
You mean none of Lucky Dube's track was a hit in Nigeria? Ok kontiniu undecided

1 Like

Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by naptu2: 8:28pm On Feb 20, 2017
hitman2911:
Hello Africa- Eddy Grant was the signal tune for VOA Africa for decades. I stopped listening with advent of satelite tvs.
Eddy Grant most popular song in Lagos\Ibadan in the 80s was a yoruba song, about love and looking for his lover -dont know title.

Agolo - Angelique Kidjo was the signal tune for BBC outlook "Ori ori o Olajumoke lo"

Mori Kante - Yeke yeke was a daily dose on NTA

Magic System Ghaou adaptation by Tope Alabi into Yoruba gospel made her popular back then

Hello Africa was also the signature tune for the African service of Radio Deutch-Welle (German radio).

Maintain also used the melody of Gaou in their song Allo.

2 Likes

Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by 4everGrand(m): 8:28pm On Feb 20, 2017
kenny905:
i dont know most of the songs above ...try caro by wizkid, african queen *wow* by tuface, oleku by ice prince , dorubucci, etc even those xenophobes in their curse lands most have danced to the tune of one the songs above

Wats dis one saying...

2 Likes

Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by naptu2: 8:30pm On Feb 20, 2017
shakurkings:

shocked You mean that you did not see two of Lucky Dube's songs on the list?? Wow!
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by sammuell(m): 8:33pm On Feb 20, 2017
To me No1 na coupe bibamba by awilo longomba

2 Likes

Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by 4everGrand(m): 8:38pm On Feb 20, 2017
I walked into into the lobby of Sheraton many many years ago and had a jazz tune imprinted in my memory. The same tune was being used as SIG tune for a jazz program on radio Nigeria 103.5 every sunday night about 5-8 years ago.
If anyone, by any chance knows the tune I'm talking about, pls drop d track name. Its a jazz tune...no words to tif for Google to complete d job.
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:42pm On Feb 20, 2017
Op wat of ANTENNA by FUSE ODG?
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by ThunderingHooves: 8:44pm On Feb 20, 2017
shakurkings:
i second that. "Prisoner " by Lucky Dube a timeless and borderless classic
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by NevetsIbot(m): 8:48pm On Feb 20, 2017
old songs are always precious.
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by naptu2: 8:48pm On Feb 20, 2017
Pavore9:
That childhood song we sang back then"Jagua, Jagua don die , Oseni kill am because of money" tune is actually a Kenyan classic that goes thus Jambo, Jambo , bwana......The Bonny M's cover made wave in Nigeria back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUrVeRGo5IM

They also played this yesterday night (after Celebration and Coffee Song).

I love Boney M, so I definitely liked this song, but I was disappointed that Bobby Farrel wasn't in the video. I liked the song, but it didn't trip me as much as their earlier hits.
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by kenny905(m): 8:49pm On Feb 20, 2017
4everGrand:

Wats dis one saying...
ur kokonut head there
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by moshuur(m): 8:52pm On Feb 20, 2017
Hmmmmmm........ am tinking at least one sarkodie song suppose dey d list
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 20, 2017
Santi Soul song Hele Mama. Was a hit.
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:58pm On Feb 20, 2017
Neil Oliver's "Baby Girl" na song abeg.
I Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it. That lady's voice was a hit. AIT used to show the video every time back then.

1 Like

Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by dimexy247(m): 9:07pm On Feb 20, 2017
@OP, you've really done justice to the list. What a memory!
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by Freeezzz(m): 9:10pm On Feb 20, 2017
naptu2:

44) Baby Girl - Nell Oliver (Benin)
Big bros Naptu2, may the Almighty God bless you uncountable times sir! Ohhhhhhhhh, you don't know what good you've done me this evening. Chai! I feel like kissing you #NoHomo. God will favour you even when you don't expect it! I have been looking for this song for the past 3yrs now. I could not remember the title or the artiste. I queried Google with Baby girl, oh my baby, omi nlo si Ile oko, time has come(for you to go) and various references, Google brought numerous songs and I gave up after I had downloaded many wrong songs. Omolola15, abeg help me thank this messiah, Naptu2.

Baby Girl on auto-repeat. Indomie generation, sorry you wouldn't know how this song rocked our air wave then, that it got massive airplay from both NTA and AIT!

Big bros Naptu2, there's another one I'm looking for sir, "Oro re o, oro re o, oro re o, repete.....ibi ton gbe se ofofo kiri, ategun ba fe gele lo(dahn dahn(piano break)), Iro ba tu sonu(dahn dahn), omo ba jabo sile(dahn). Bros, you don remember the song? cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by Freeezzz(m): 9:12pm On Feb 20, 2017
naptu2:

Hello Africa was also the signature tune for the African service of Radio Deutch-Welle (German radio).

Maintain also used the melody of Gaou in their song Allo.
won je Abiola se 'joba to fi ku ooo, alo...
adupe won gbe fun 'basanjo ooo, story...
cool

In short, I dey follow you from now henceforth! cool

1 Like

Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by naptu2: 9:12pm On Feb 20, 2017
Freeezzz:

Big bros Naptu2, may the Almighty God bless you uncountable times sir! Ohhhhhhhhh, you don't know what good you've done me this evening. Chai! I feel like kissing you #NoHomo. God will favour you even when you don't expect it! I have been looking for this song for the past 3yrs now. I could not remember the title or the artiste. I queried Google with Baby girl, oh my baby, omi nlo si Ile oko, time has come(for you to go) and various references, Google brought numerous songs and I gave up after I had downloaded many wrong songs. Omolola15, abeg help me thank this messiah, Naptu2.

Baby Girl on auto-repeat. Indomie generation, sorry you wouldn't know how this song rocked our air wave then, that it got massive airplay from both NTA and AIT!

Big bros Naptu2, there's another one I'm looking for sir, "Oro re o, oro re o, oro re o, repete.....ibi ton gbe se ofofo kiri, ategun ba fe gele lo(dahn dahn(piano break)), Iro ba tu sonu(dahn dahn), omo ba jabo sile(dahn). Bros, you don remember the song? cool

It's on my other list (150 Nigerian songs). The title is Oro Re and it's by Roseline Ogunro.

https://www.nairaland.com/3439718/list-150-greatest-nigerian-songs

1 Like

Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by Cherishing(f): 9:14pm On Feb 20, 2017
Op I don't think you are a regae fan Lucky Dube has over 50 hit tracks that made it in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by northvietnam(m): 9:14pm On Feb 20, 2017
shinarambo1:

Yeke Yeke was the soundtrack to most tv programs back in the early 90's. You have got to give it to the Guineans, Senegalese and Malians when it comes to classical west african music..

The railway stations always had this song and agolo by angelina kidjo on repeat while people wait for trains. Cant believe these songs are over 20 years already.

U just remembered me how we used to jump out of train with our school boxes... when school closes, from Enugu train station to Abia state..

Ate alot of bananas Enroute the journey...

Good old days...

1 Like

Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by naptu2: 9:15pm On Feb 20, 2017
Cherishing:
Op I don't think you are a regae fan Lucky Dube has over 50 hit tracks that made it in Nigeria.

And two of the tracks are on the list.
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by Freeezzz(m): 9:17pm On Feb 20, 2017
naptu2:

It's on my other list (150 Nigerian songs). The title is Oro Re and it's by Roseline Ogunro.

https://www.nairaland.com/3439718/list-150-greatest-nigerian-songs
Bros, please permit me to speak in tongue...... mashindakapa! I love you sir! Thank you sir!

But Amazon talk say na buy I go buy am ooo. cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by Pavore9: 9:18pm On Feb 20, 2017
naptu2:

They also played this yesterday night (after Celebration and Coffee Song).

I love Boney M, so I definitely liked this song, but I was disappointed that Bobby Farrel wasn't in the video. I liked the song, but it didn't trip me as much as their earlier hits.

This song links the mind to Safari! cheesy
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by warripekin(m): 9:20pm On Feb 20, 2017
I love freshly ground. where are they now?
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by naptu2: 9:21pm On Feb 20, 2017
Pavore9:

This song links the mind to Safari! cheesy

The part of the song that I like is the part they go

"Can't you hear them singing,
Hakunamatata?"

And the drums become louder.
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:29pm On Feb 20, 2017
op u and who dey jam dose kind songs? btw y is xigubu and hangover not on the list?
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:34pm On Feb 20, 2017
author=naptu2 post=53886466
Song - Artist (Country)
45) Homeless - (South Africa)- Paul Simon
46) Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes (South Africa) - Paul Simon

Honourable mention
Sitya Lose - Eddy Kenzo (Uganda)
Shaa - Shuga Gaga (Tanzania)
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by Pavore9: 9:35pm On Feb 20, 2017
naptu2:

The part of the song that I like is the part they go

"Can't you hear them singing,
Hakunamatata?"

And the drums become louder.

Hakuna matata used to be the only Swahili word l know! cheesy but now person don advance.
Re: 50 Songs By Other Africans That Were Hits In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:35pm On Feb 20, 2017
naptu2:

And two of the tracks are on the list.
can i make a request pls?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Download Complete Yoruba Hymn Book (iwe Orin Mimo) In PDF / Sinach No 1 On Billboard USA For Christian Song / Mikel Obi Shun 2face Idibia At London Nite Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.