Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,220 members, 7,780,417 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:53 PM

God Is Love - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Is Love (568 Views)

God Is Love ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Is Love by Nobody: 6:09pm On Feb 20, 2017
God is Love: How do we Define Love?

"God is Love", but how do we define it? The American Heritage Dictionary defines love as "an intense affection for another person based on familial or personal ties". Often this "intense affection" stems from a sexual attraction for that other person.

We love other people, or we say we love other people, when we are attracted to them and when they make us feel good. Notice that a key phrase in the dictionary definition of love is the phrase "based on." This phrase implies that we love conditionally;

in other words, we love someone because they fulfill a condition that we require before we can love them. How many times have you heard or said, "I love you because you are cute;" or "I love you because you take good care of me;" or "I love you because you are fun to be with"?

Our love is not only conditional, it is also mercurial. We love based on feelings and emotions that can change from one moment to the next. The divorce rate is extremely high in today's society because husbands and wives supposedly stop loving one another-or they "fall out of love".

They may go through a rough patch in their marriage, and they no longer "feel" love for their spouse, so they call it quits. Evidently, their marriage vow of "till death do us part" means they can part at the death of their love for their spouse rather than at their physical death.

Can anyone really comprehend "unconditional" love? It seems the love that parents have for their children is as close to unconditional love as we can get without the help of God's love in our lives.

We continue to love our children through good times and bad, and we don't stop loving them if they don't meet the expectations we may have for them. We make a choice to love our children even when we consider them unlovable; our love doesn't stop when we don't "feel" love for them.

This is similar to God's love for us,

God is Love: How does God Define Love?
The Bible tells us that "God is Love" (1 John 4: cool.

But how can we even begin to understand that truth? There are many passages in the Bible that give us God's definition of love. The most well known verse is John 3:16,

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. "

So one way God defines love is in the act of giving. However, what God gave (or should we say, "who" God gave) was not a mere gift-wrapped present;

God sacrificed His only Son so that we, who put our faith in His Son, will not spend eternity separated from Him.

This is an amazing love, because we are the ones who choose to reject God, yet it's God who mends the separation through His intense personal sacrifice, and all we have to do is accept His gift.

1 Like

Re: God Is Love by Nobody: 6:43pm On Feb 20, 2017
Hmmmm very interesting. BRB
Let me get home first, take my bath and relax to read through the epistle by no other than the Queen of Queens. grin grin grin
Re: God Is Love by Nobody: 8:22pm On Feb 20, 2017
The relationship between parents and their children is comparable to that between God and humans.

1.We were created in God's image and he sees us as such.
2.Parents see us as their own flesh and blood.
In the same way God loves us unconditionally, parents could therefore afford to love their children unconditionally just as we also love ourselves unconditionally simply because we are us, we are our own image or flesh and blood.

On the other hand, a marriage relationship involves two individuals from different backgrounds, origin, upbringing, training, moral values, cultures, etc, that are bound by love among other things. This love cannot afford not to be based on conditions because it isn't similar to the earlier mentioned so shouldn't be condemned for being conditional.

God's love is perfect in the sense that he tries to inculcate the right values and principles in us and disciplines us but parental love(not every parent) in so many cases could lead to over pampering of kids without proper correctional measures in place at the end of which they end up with kids that aren't like them in character and learning.
Even where proper training is instituted, the kids rarely turn out to be better than their parents in the same way we can't be better than God, by this, bad parents end up with bad kids and good parents with good kids.

As i had earlier mentioned, marriage involves individuals from different backgrounds and parenting, both the good and the bad, who, as the OP had mentioned, vowed to live together TILL DEATH DO THEM PARTS and through THICK AND THING.
For this to be possible, COMPATIBILITY is very important.

We live in a world today where people increasingly no longer check for compatibility but marry for reasons ranging from money in the bank to mere physical attributes and attraction, neglecting an important key ingredient...COMPATIBILITY. It's not as though the earlier points aren't importation but it becomes wrong when they are the only reasons for marriage.

We can also view this from the angle of loving for the wrong reasons though it is widely believed today that true love no longer exists. This whole thing can be discussed from different angles and views but time will not permit me to cover every area.

Seeing that the players in a marriage relationship are neither created in the image of either of the partners{God's love} nor see themselves to be flesh and blood of the other{Parental Love}, it therefore follows that such relationship can more easily breakdown if both aren't compatible enough which results in divorce. This should partly explains why in the OPs words, "their marriage vow of "till death do us part" means they can part at the death of their love for their spouse rather than at their physical death.".

The question therefore should be asked at this point: What kind of love will DIE just like that?.

We find something i would like to regard as TRUE LOVE existing between parents and children and between God and men. It doesn't die just like that, it covereth over multitudes of sins and grievances, it endures through thick and thin, and exists beyond the death of the loved one.

What we need today in our lives and relationships is TRUE LOVE, which people now argue no longer exists.

The earlier we go back to believing in love and loving truly, the earlier we start seeing a decline in the rate of divorce and broken homes.

God gave to mend fences, he sacrificed, because he loved truly, and all we needed to do is to accept.

When we love and love truly, we give to mend fences, we sacrifice, and all the other partner needs to do is to accept.

So rather than have a love that dies just like that, by loving truly, we have one that remains.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: God Is Love by Nobody: 8:27pm On Feb 20, 2017
karacta1:
Hmmmm very interesting. BRB
Let me get home first, take my bath and relax to read through the epistle by no other than the Queen of Queens. grin grin grin
How long does it take to read through that you must perform a ceremony for it.
I'm going home and did it at the traffic just before the lights could go green.
yeye
Re: God Is Love by Nobody: 12:13am On Feb 21, 2017
Sincere4u:

How long does it take to read through that you must perform a ceremony for it.
I'm going home and did it at the traffic just before the lights could go green.
yeye
You've been on my case after a mere mention. Like you were injected with an anti-karacta portion. Isorite.
Re: God Is Love by Nobody: 10:10am On Feb 21, 2017
Sincere4u:
The relationship between parents and their children is comparable with that between God and humans.

1.We were created in God's image and he sees us as such.
2.Parents see us as their own flesh and blood.
In the same way God loves us unconditionally, parents could therefore afford to love their children unconditionally just as we also love ourselves unconditionally simply because we are us, we are our own image or flesh and blood.

On the other hand, a marriage relationship involves two individuals from different backgrounds, origin, upbringing, training, moral values, cultures, etc, that are bound by love among other things. This love cannot afford not to be based on conditions because it isn't similar to the earlier mentioned so shouldn't be condemned for being conditional.

God's love is perfect in the sense that he tries to inculcate the right values and principles in us and disciplines us but parental love(not every parent) in so many cases could lead to over pampering of kids without proper correctional measures in place at the end of which they end up with kids that aren't like them in character and learning.
Even where proper training is instituted, the kids rarely turn out to be better than their parents in the same way we can't be better than God, by this, bad parents end up with bad kids and good parents with good kids.

As i had earlier mentioned, marriage involves individuals from different backgrounds and parenting, both the good and the bad, who, as the OP had mentioned, vowed to live together TILL DEATH DO THEM PARTS and through THICK AND THING.
For this to be possible, COMPATIBILITY is very important.

We live in a world today where people increasingly no longer check for compatibility but marry for reasons ranging from money in the bank to mere physical attributes and attraction, neglecting an important key ingredient...COMPATIBILITY. It's not as though the earlier points aren't importation but it becomes wrong when they are the only reasons for marriage.

We can also view this from the angle of loving for the wrong reasons though it is widely believed today that true love no longer exists. This whole thing can be discussed from different angles and views but time will not permit me to cover every area.

Seeing that the players in a marriage relationship are neither created in the image of either of the partners{God's love} nor see themselves to be flesh and blood of the other{Parental Love}, it therefore follows that such relationship can more easily breakdown if both aren't compatible enough which results in divorce. This should partly explains why in the OPs words, "their marriage vow of "till death do us part" means they can part at the death of their love for their spouse rather than at their physical death.".

The question therefore should be asked at this point: What kind of love will DIE just like that?.

We find something i would like to regard as TRUE LOVE existing between parents and children and between God and men. It doesn't die just like that, it covereth over multitudes of sins and grievances, it endures through thick and thin, and exists beyond the death of the loved one.

What we need today in our lives and relationships is TRUE LOVE, which people now argue no longer exists.

The earlier we go back to believing in love and loving truly, the earlier we start seeing a decline in the rate of divorce and broken homes.

God gave to mend fences, he sacrificed, because he loved truly, and all we needed to do is to accept.

When we love and love truly, we give to mend fences, we sacrifice, and all the other partner needs to do is to accept.

So rather than have a love that dies just like that, by loving truly, we have one that remains.

You this man.
Just last night you made jest of me for making special preparation to read OP's write up.
Now you've written something much longer.
Do you in anyway expect me to read all that?.
I won't read it.
Re: God Is Love by easterwick(m): 11:56am On Feb 21, 2017
Is very sad we dont actually knows what is inside us
this is eternal life you know the true God and jesus he has sent

Abide in my love, this is how you will be my disciple
why you all cant see two christ which is
hate and love in the bible
open your eyes and study well
dont be left inside the belly full carton which is christianity
can dog and ewe mate
can the white give birth to black
this is already happening
come out of her[hatred]
Re: God Is Love by Princiology(m): 5:34pm On Jun 14, 2019

(1) (Reply)

How to defeat the unseen forces holding you back. / Pastors, Imams, Priests Etc..... Please Pray For Me. / The Best Religion = ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.