Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,777 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:51 PM

How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria (34503 Views)

Things To Note When Siting A Fish Farm / Updated - How To Construct a Snail House for Snail Farming Business / I Killed This Monitor Lizard In A Fish Farm (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by ajalawole(m): 9:38pm On Feb 20, 2017
Op, how can i start snake farming. I serious for this one ooocheesy
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by atoleybaba(m): 9:39pm On Feb 20, 2017
iblog:
Meets A Man Who Make 800k From His Fish Pond (photos)
during the social media reporter, visits in Lagos he meets a man from Imo state. who makes minimum of 800k from fish pond business. the team supervised the fish pond in the process, during an interview with Charles Osuigwe from IMO state . He said he read agriculture in school, that there he learnt how to manage a fish pond business. that formally he was working with a poultry farm in Abuja, before bird flu influenza crashed the business. then he had no option than to move in, fully to fish bond business. during the visit the reporter saw the fingerlings, that's the baby fish and the juvenile that the fish that is about to grow to be a table sized fish. the fish business man has about 4 plots of land were he does his fish farming comfortably. he has about 7 workers, which I met my self. After the interview he told me that he produces over 1000 fishes per output per month.

what type of fish do you deal on ?
catfish

how long do it take to grow?
4months from juvenile size they eat 6mm feed bullets weighing 0.6-1kg weight.

what is the prices sir?
I sell between N800 to N1000 per 1kg table sized fish.
juvenile is N35 Each
fingerlings for N20 Each

How much do you spend to feed these fishes?
the fishes feed on 15kg of feeds.
it been sold in the market for 6,500 per bag.

If I need a fish or want to invest into catfish can you train or do it for people out there?
my name is Charles Osuigwe
my address is No.7 liadi Olayemi str. Adeba b/4 Primary School
phone number: 07035630272
Email: agrikmasters@gmail.c­om

if anyone need waybill can you supply?
yes, we also do catfish business management and internship

contracts­ training

catfish production

fingerlin­gs production

juveniles­ production

table size production 1kg

fish feed production

farm management.

https://www.nairaland.com/3637545/meets-man-make-800k-fish
lies....fucking lies.....believe this trash at ur own risk

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by nikaShow(m): 9:44pm On Feb 20, 2017
If you are new to fish farming, why don't You take our Fish Farm tour ? where we take you to visit and learn from different successful fish farms within a city with all the different types of ponds in fish farming.

You can read up on this learning experience by checking this page...

https://www.nairaland.com/2848773/visit-catfish-farms-learn-practically
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by atoleybaba(m): 9:44pm On Feb 20, 2017
Topestbilly:

Seriously? No for me cos it's too expensive.

Earthen pond is cheaper.
cheaper but not as reliable as concrete....I refer concrete to novice....if they want to get maximum profit from fish business
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by babatunde50(m): 9:54pm On Feb 20, 2017
Y. Fish farming ke
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by babatunde50(m): 9:57pm On Feb 20, 2017
atoleybaba:
cheaper but not as reliable as concrete....I refer concrete to novice....if they want to get maximum profit from fish business
hmmmmn
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by babatunde50(m): 9:59pm On Feb 20, 2017
promohouse:
Fish farming ke
y fish farmin ke
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:59pm On Feb 20, 2017
op you know nothing about fish farming... if you do you will know a bag of feed now is almost 11k...all this Internet farmers

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:01pm On Feb 20, 2017
Following
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Topestbilly(m): 10:01pm On Feb 20, 2017
Enigmaholysiner.:
Please which is more preferable between earthen pond and concrete pond? Considering the general wellbeing of the fingerlings/fishes.

Earthen pond is more preferable cos d cost of running concrete pond is double of Earthen pond.

*In Earthen pond u don't drain water everyday like d concrete pond.

*In Earthen pond water gushes from the ground n refill the pond when u drain but in concrete u hav to pump water, so u need gen n fuel.

* in Earthen pond the fishes feed less cos they feed on natural organics too but non for concrete so they eat more.

Earthen pond is the best.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Emycord: 10:05pm On Feb 20, 2017
chiboyo:
The death of MMM is opening better investment opportunities!

Kudos OP!!
they will soon come for ur ass
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Topestbilly(m): 10:10pm On Feb 20, 2017
atoleybaba:

I understand what u mean by reliable n dat is d only major challenge earthen pond operators faces(flooding), but if one is able to get things right they'll have more profit then concrete operators.
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Topestbilly(m): 10:24pm On Feb 20, 2017
Jeffrey12:
Nice one...

Hii be like say na dix one i go start oo cool

U go need money ooo, abeg no jump into dis without proper knowledge ooo cos na debts in d making if u no sabi oo.
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by emmyvet(m): 10:52pm On Feb 20, 2017
damas64:
See my account balance is working for all sim

Nawa o, upon all the money way full your phone na your mom dey call you. You no fit call? E be like say you dey stingy o.
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by coputa(m): 11:01pm On Feb 20, 2017
Before you can succeed in fish farming,you must know how to manage a hatchery to produce your own fingerlings for stocking in your pond,it is risky to buy fingerlings outside,this has made many fish farmers to go bankrupt as the growth of the fish is stunted.This is very critical,learn how to hatch your own fingerlings.
secondly,you should know how to formulate feeds,became,if you only use foreign feeds,it will gulp a substantial portion of you profit.These two critical areas is a sine quo non to a successful fish farming venture

3 Likes

Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Agricbusiness: 11:11pm On Feb 20, 2017
Hello,

Do you have the capacity to supply 50,000 catfish fingerlings month with an average weight of 3g?

We will do the pickup from your location.

Call between 10am-5pm daily or reply this post with your questions.
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by emmyvet(m): 11:15pm On Feb 20, 2017
Topestbilly:

Earthen pond is more preferable cos d cost of running concrete pond is double of Earthen pond.

*In Earthen pond u don't drain water everyday like d concrete pond.

*In Earthen pond water gushes from the ground n refill the pond when u drain but in concrete u hav to pump water, so u need gen n fuel.

* in Earthen pond the fishes feed less cos they feed on natural organics too but non for concrete so they eat more.

Earthen pond is the best.

Don't mislead people.

Management of concrete pond is far much easier than that of earthen pond.

Did you consider running of a flow through system in the earthen pond to get continuous supply of oxygen.

Did you ever taught of sorting the fish in earthen pond?

Who told you that you don't need a pumping machine in earthen pond? Even if water comes from the soil which I know is not so every where did you ever taught draining the water during harvest.

Please get your facts right because some people may end up burning their hard earned money because of this.
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:21pm On Feb 20, 2017
How to Start a Snake Farming......

Snake is gaining Popularity now compared to other reptiles especially on social media... with a very big drum containing 30 big snakes, you can attract customers such as Lalasticlala and some warri boys who can remove all their cloths to prepare snake for pepper soup...

Did you know that snake has found its way to front page of Nigeria biggest forum more than 666 times? Yess.. it shows the love that people have for snake....

For full details of how to start a snake farming please check my signature and kindly click on the link,,,and if the link is not available, that means the website is under construction as some snakes must have crawled out of the tank and are roaming about the internet so our ICT team have gone to search and capture them back.....

With Snake Business.... Maximum Profit Guaranteed

4 Likes

Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:10am On Feb 21, 2017
Imoy:
Nice on Op

the foreign feed, how long can it last, a week, or a month, and how long will it take the fishes to be matured for sale.
thanks
.matured ke
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Westadon(m): 2:56am On Feb 21, 2017
This write up is too old to be posted here, when u do ''copy and paste' try as much as possible to edit it before u discourage people. from the prices of feed u gave above it shows this post was composed not earlier than five years ago when the price of copens was thereabout 5k, copens is now 17500 naira. fish farming is very lucrative , all u need is to get the required knowledge and the capital to start up, is not a must u start BIG

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Nature8(m): 7:37am On Feb 21, 2017
VastfinderBlog:
Fish farming means 'raising fish commercially in tanks, ponds or other enclosures for the purpose of producing food'.
It is also the principal form of aquaculture, while other methods may fall under mariculture
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4894906_20170220150046_jpega135849ec87509dbbefc99afb68f828d
Although, Fish farming is a lucrative business which requires time, patience and money. One must be ready to take risks if you must venture into this kind if business.

The reason why most fish farmers in Nigeria fail is because they believe the saying that fish farming requires little investment and therefore results in huge profits. I tell you that If it were so easy, everyone would be doing it.

This article contains a complete guide on how to carry out a feasibility study on fish farming business in Nigeria. With this article, we hope to expose some areas as regards to fish farming in Nigeria

Feasibility Study On Fish Farming Business In Nigeria
It is very important to carry out feasibility study on fish farming business if you want to venture into it in Nigeria. This is help ascertain what you would need in order to equip yourself in order to achieve positive results in fish farming business.

The following factors below may vary if you want to start a successful fish farm in Nigeria and they include:
• Cost of materials
• Cost of feeding the fishes
• Cost of fingerling (fish seed)
• Type of Water
• Marketing
• Distribution

Location plays a vital role in fish farming as it helps decide the kind of fish pond to be constructed. Usually, areas with swampy environment can be useful for fish farming in Nigeria and earthen pond a good fit for fish farm whether the location is swampy or the have a high water retaining capacity

You should try to avoid bushy areas with lots of trees, unless you have the financial power to do so.

If you opt for a concrete pond, the farmer should make provision for bore hole for water supply or alternatively he or she should buy water. He should also provide a shade for the fishes and fingerlings.

COST OF LABOUR/MAN POWER
It could be cheap or expensive based on the location. Unless if you opt for earthen pond which is not expensive to create, concrete pond might require you to spend on labour. Whatever the case might be, cost of labour is a very important factor to be considered when carrying out a feasibility study on fish farming.

COST OF MATERIALS
You are to find out the cost of the materials you are going to use to kick start your fish farming business. for example, if you want to build or erect the pond, you would need to find the cost of cement, bricks, e.t.c

COST FOR FEEDING THE FISHES
The cost of feeding varies. Foreign feeds are normally more expensive than local feeds. Example, Cupen is sold above N5,000, while local feeds cost below N4,500. You could also opt in producing the feed locally, as it will even still maintain the the high level of protein in the feed just as in the foreign feed.

MARKETING
The marketing aspect is very vital when carrying out a feasibility study on how to start fish farming business in Nigeria. This is determined by the market forces (demand & supply). One thing you should note in fish business is that the size of thefish determines the market.

Retailers, consumers and restaurant owners would prefer big fishes rather than small fishes. So you would have to invest in your big fishes, which will draw customers for you.

Finally, Feasibility study on the market helps you to know when your fishes are on demand and when you are to supply them and gives a fish farmer an overview of what he needs to know about the fish business after which you can draw a fish farming business plan to help give you a focus on what to do as you start you fish farming business.

Source: https://vastfinder..com/2017/02/feasibility-study-how-to-start-fish.html

Nice one bro..

Are you somewhere close to Onitsha bro?
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Nature8(m): 8:06am On Feb 21, 2017
nikaShow:
If you are new to fish farming, why don't You take our Fish Farm tour ? where we take you to visit and learn from different successful fish farms within a city with all the different types of ponds in fish farming.

You can read up on this learning experience by checking this page...

https://www.nairaland.com/2848773/visit-catfish-farms-learn-practically

Location?
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Senipapa(m): 8:20am On Feb 21, 2017
Tried this fishery business about three years ago but wasn't successful, problems I encountered were
1. Power- No news power is a problem in Nigeria, as I found myself spending so much on petrol in order to change water constantly in other to retain oxygen for the fishes as I had five big concrete ponds which cost me more than 500k to put in place

2.Feed- feeding them was capital intensive as a bag of foreign feed ranged between the price of 4500-5500 then, though I opted to use the Nigerian vital feed which was much cheaper then, I wonder how OP will still forecast same price in his right up as we know price of goods have sky rocketed since inflation hit the nation.

3. Choice of fingerling - Very important as I lacked experience in this category, while some grew very big within 6-7 months, other which I got from another dealer and constituted of majority were weighing below 500gm per fish after 7 months this was where I ran huge lose, where as the once I got from the first dealer which occupied two ponds were weighing 2kg and above.

In future when I have better capital I would love to try it out again, not minding limiting it to personal consumption alone, and another thing I like is the joy derived in watching them, most days I spend hours just watching them swim and play, it's a beautiful sight to behold.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by barcaboi(m): 9:05am On Feb 21, 2017
Imoy:
Nice on Op

the foreign feed, how long can it last, a week, or a month, and how long will it take the fishes to be matured for sale.
thanks
4-6 months depending on the quality of feed and fish
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by coputa(m): 9:19am On Feb 21, 2017
Senipapa:
Tried this fishery business about three years ago but wasn't successful, problems I encountered were
1. Power- No news power is a problem in Nigeria, as I found myself spending so much on petrol in order to change water constantly in other to retain oxygen for the fishes as I had five big concrete ponds which cost me more than 500k to put in place

2.Feed- feeding them was capital intensive as a bag of foreign feed ranged between the price of 4500-5500 then, though I opted to use the Nigerian vital feed which was much cheaper then, I wonder how OP will still forecast same price in his right up as we know price of goods have sky rocketed since inflation hit the nation.

3. Choice of fingerling - Very important as I lacked experience in this category, while some grew very big within 6-7 months, other which I got from another dealer and constituted of majority were weighing below 500kg per fish after 7 months this was where I ran huge lose, where as the once I got from the first dealer which occupied two ponds were weighing 2kg and above.

In future when I have better capital I would love to try it out again, not minding limiting it to personal consumption alone, and another thing I like is the joy derived in watching them, most days I spend hours just watching them swim and play, it's a beautiful sight to behold.
This is what I posted earlier,in this thread.hatch your own fish for stocking,90 percent of fingerlings bought from outside are bad.most successful fish farmers won't tell you this secret,
Re: How To Start A Fish Farming Business In Nigeria by Topestbilly(m): 10:02am On Feb 21, 2017
emmyvet:

Don't mislead people.

I'm not misleading anyone, I'm talking from a practical angle cos I run d 2 n I know d stress n expenses each cost monthly.

Management of concrete pond is far much easier than that of earthen pond.

Did you consider running of a flow through system in the earthen pond to get continuous supply of oxygen.

Running of flow through system depends on how fast ur pond refills after draining. In my case, from juvenile after 2weeks I'll drain n d refilling takes 4-5 hours I also channelled water in from nearby stream.

Did you ever taught of sorting the fish in earthen pond?

There is no much difference sorting fish in an earthen and concrete pond, I don't sort in most cases. Sorting, harvesting and palletising is where the real job are.

Who told you that you don't need a pumping machine in earthen pond? Even if water comes from the soil which I know is not so every where did you ever taught draining the water during harvest.

I never said earthen pond system don't need pumping machine, in my case, feeding with important I drain water every 2week and local every week. Can u level water in a concrete pond for 2weeks?

Please get your facts right because some people may end up burning their hard earned money because of this.

I have my facts, the point is what works for Mr A may not work for Mr B.

Fish farming is a broad business, we learn everyday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Help Nairalanders, My Farm Is Going Down / Cassava Processing Machine / Local Rice And Paddy Rice From The Main Source

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.