Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,833 members, 7,806,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions (22258 Views)

Hameed Ali: Imported Rice Is Poisonous - Customs Boss / Pictures Taken At Jollof Festival In Lagos / I Bought A Paint Of Garri N1200 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by justicejay(m): 11:09am On Feb 21, 2017
Rubbish
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by idu1(m): 11:09am On Feb 21, 2017
Can we burn down that market to safe guard our life undecided
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by manlawal(m): 11:13am On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Very stupid..that place is an Indian supermarket for God sake and TRS Gari is for Indians ..I buy a lot of TRS products like cummin and turmeric from that same place and I have done so for ages .
U need medical attention. Is garri part of India delicacy

1 Like

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by iamord(m): 11:14am On Feb 21, 2017
onatisi:

Ghana garri sweet oo
so much for regional integration, despite the ecowas law of free trade, some people have turned to camouflaging goods to enter west Africa biggest market cos the regional trade treaty is only on paper.
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 11:15am On Feb 21, 2017
manlawal:

U need medical attention. Is garri part of India delicacy

Yes they use it for some of their recipes ..you can't even drink that Gari it taste horrible
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by Nobody: 11:16am On Feb 21, 2017
When government/governors using Boko haram via herdsmen by cows to killing and destroying farmers/farms;

And went to London for medical treatment as president, senators/lawmakers, ministers, Aso villa aides.

This government are showing leadership by example indeed.

Just bribes the minister of health he will take care of others.

There was a government.
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 11:17am On Feb 21, 2017
ephi123:

Even if it's for consumption by Indians, it doesn't mean food items being imported into the country shouldn't be vetted.
Afterall even to enter Canada from UK, a basic fruit like apple is seized - that's from one developed nation to another, not to mention whole food items like these from India.

I depend a lot on TRS products so it will be a disaster for me personally if they stopped bringing them in . Well God dey
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 11:19am On Feb 21, 2017
175:

To tear you hot slap just dey hungry me.

For Indians Keh. . .? Your Fada. If you can't eat our locally made gari, get the fuuuuck outta mi country.

See him name like Virus for 3 Idiots

Calm down I don't expect you to understand everything so take a chill pill please
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 11:20am On Feb 21, 2017
Bhol28:
Does that exempt the product from being duly registered.

Well I hope the can grant the rapid registration because a lot of us use their products for health reasons
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by ephi123(f): 11:20am On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:

I depend a lot on TRS products so it will be a disaster for me personally if they stopped bringing them in . Well God dey

If they meet the required standards, there is no reason they should stop bringing them in.

Don't worry, you will still get your turmeric and other spices! smiley
What do you use them for by the way? seasoning?
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by Nobody: 11:21am On Feb 21, 2017
Hypocrisy!...is any local gari nafdac certified?....
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 11:25am On Feb 21, 2017
ephi123:

If they meet the required standards, there is no reason they should stop bringing them in.

Don't worry, you will still get your turmeric and other spices! smiley
What do you use them for by the way? seasoning?

They bring them in in really little quantities and I am afraid because of the tiny quantities they would rather stop bringing them than spending 3 million naira trying to register each product .

Okay I use cummin, turmeric and their black pepper to make a some tea that makes sure I never add an ounce no matter how much I eat and it works great ..you need need to see my vitals

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by tutorago: 11:26am On Feb 21, 2017
How come the garri enter naija in the first place? Didn't it pass through the customs?

Private Tutors Needed Nationwide

Tutorago is urgently seeking for experienced tutors who are passionate about impacting positively on the education of our Clients across states in Nigeria. Send your CV to info@tutorago.com
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by Msquare220: 11:30am On Feb 21, 2017
Ahhh,,,,we De import common Garri
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by ephi123(f): 11:31am On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:

They bring them in in really little quantities and I am afraid because of the tiny quantities they would rather stop bringing them than spending 3 million naira trying to register each product .

Okay I use cummin, turmeric and their black pepper to make a some tea that makes sure I never add an ounce no matter how much I eat and it works great ..you need need to see my vitals

It shouldn't cost that much to register products... I know it may be small quantities, but they do need to be checked for everyone's safety including yours.

Oh wow, that's interesting, you should share the recipe!
The other thing you could do is buy in bulk pending when this whole issue is resolved.
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by 175(m): 11:32am On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Calm down I don't expect you to understand everything so take a chill pill please

Calm up. . .I equally don't expect you to understand that Nigeria is among the largest producers of cassava cum garri.

Do you under the FX we loose to this importers because of this shhhhhhhit?

See ur head like "Namastey" most popular word on ZeeTv!!!! grin angry grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by Nobody: 11:35am On Feb 21, 2017
justicejay:
We are importing Garri?
Ahah Garri?
This nation is dead.
There is no good in importation.
You strengthen you economy through exportation.
Where our stupid govt and importers got it wrong is that, the don't knw that there is more profit in exporting than importing.
A friend of mine living in Tessense USA was telling me dis A.M that a mango cost $1.68 in USA and its not that ripe.
Mango that rust here and goat will even walk on in Nigeria. Just imagine us preserving mango and exporting it to USA. But our rulers will rather destroying indigenous industry just to promote there importation business.
For How Long Will We Keep Importing What We Have And Exporting What We Don't Have?

You don't want to know now much we pay for yam here in Los Angeles.

And when you go to cook it half of it is rotten.
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by jibrilaminum: 11:37am On Feb 21, 2017
dustydee:
I know the TRS brand in the UK. The question here is will the government ban it if they find no problem after analysing the product? I know they have mentioned that it has no NAFDAC number, will they also ask that the locally produced garri be NAFDAC certified or is the NAFDAC certification only for imported products?
Although you have raised an important issue worthy of concern. But what is more worrisome is d fact dat we inport what we have in buoyance. Of all commodities, garri is now part of what we import. It does not speak well of our economy. We all must caution our govt, who in the first place, allowed such products into our country and the consumers as well who buy them at the expense of local goods.
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by drnoel: 11:38am On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Very stupid..that place is an Indian supermarket for God sake and TRS Gari is for Indians ..I buy a lot of TRS products like cummin and turmeric from that same place and I have done so for ages .

Do u mind Nigerians? Hypocrites and stuwpidity all the way to kafanchan.
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by phinter: 11:40am On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:

make no sense even if its indians in Nigeria can you just carry you Nigerian garri and export to India just like that?
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 11:41am On Feb 21, 2017
ephi123:

It shouldn't cost that much to register products... I know it may be small quantities, but they do need to be checked for everyone's safety including yours.

Oh wow, that's interesting, you should share the recipe!
The other thing you could do is buy in bulk pending when this whole issue is resolved.

Believe me it officially cost like 750k to register each product but by the time Nafdac red tape and greasing is done you would have spent up to 3m .. I doubt if the will have it today because I hear the Indian shop at Ikoyi was raided .. well the recipe for the tea is one teaspoon of turmeric, half teaspoon of black pepper , half teaspoon of cumin in a glass of warm water then add some honey for taste ..I drink it first thing in the morning and last thing at night .

2 Likes

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by Kennisch: 11:42am On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:

When you don't know about economics and governance, you should keep quiet please. You should one of those complaining about the Forex rates as well as other problems we face in the country today.

2 Likes

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 11:44am On Feb 21, 2017
Kennisch:

When you don't know about economics and governance, you should keep quiet please. You should one of those complaining about the Forex rates as well as other problems we face in the country today.

If you use that store you will know they don't bring in much of that garri and belive me no Nigerian will ever buy that Gari..
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by Kennisch: 11:44am On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:

When you don't know about economics and governance, you should keep quiet please. You should be one of those complaining about the Forex rates as well as other problems we face in the country today yet you say it's stupid to raise alarm about an unregistered consumable produced and sold in commercial quantities. Its wrong in many ways.
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by ephi123(f): 11:47am On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Believe me it officially cost like 750k to register each product but by the time Nafdac red tape and greasing is done you would have spent up to 3m .. I doubt if the will have it today because I hear the Indian shop at Ikoyi was raided .. well the recipe for the tea is one teaspoon of turmeric, half teaspoon of black pepper , half teaspoon of cumin in a glass of warm water then add some honey for taste ..I drink it first thing in the morning and last thing at night .

That's a lot of money, 750k for what? These are the things that annoy me about Nigeria, what exactly is involved in analysing and checking a product for it to cost that much.

Thanks for sharing, will definitely try it out. Indian spices have a lot of benefit. I use their cinnamon and ground spices from time to time when cooking.

Are there other Indian shops around besides the Ikoyi one? They should have it as well.
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by drnoel: 11:48am On Feb 21, 2017
jibrilaminum:

Although you have raised an important issue worthy of concern. But what is more worrisome is d fact dat we inport what we have in buoyance. Of all commodities, garri is now part of what we import. It does not speak well of our economy. We all must caution our govt, who in the first place, allowed such products into our country and the consumers as well who buy them at the expense of local goods.

But that's the point. The product is for people who prefer it. Importation of those TBS product wouldn't affect how much exports Nigeria achieves in a year cos quantity wise they arw too small. What the responsible authorities should do is to assess the quality, give then NAFDAC number, make them pay fines for importing such products we already have and let them be.
Nigerians are hypocrites really. Have u guys asked urself why Holland has the largest african market in the world outside Africa itself. Their government makes billions of euros from african products imported into Holland to be distributed to other European countries. I mean is there more to say? Just assess the quality, make sure its not trash then task the hell out of them like they do in Holland for African products. Gwashi!!

1 Like

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by ireneidiva(f): 11:48am On Feb 21, 2017
olaolulazio:
They will import wall nut soon.
wall nut ko
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by delishpot: 11:49am On Feb 21, 2017
What is debanj's koko garri marketing team doing when supermarkets are beingbflooded with Indian garri?
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by Jabioro: 11:49am On Feb 21, 2017
Produced in Ghana, packed in UK, sell in Nigeria, because where cheap to buy anything from outside this country.... Kontinue
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by SalamRushdie: 11:50am On Feb 21, 2017
ephi123:

That's a lot of money, 750k for what? These are the things that annoy me about Nigeria, what exactly is involved in analysing and checking a product for it to cost that much.

Thanks for sharing, will definitely try it out. Indian spices have a lot of benefit. I use their cinnamon and ground spices from time to time when cooking.

Are there other Indian shops around besides the Ikoyi one? They should have it as well.

You can get good Indian spices in any Spar outlet
Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by delishpot: 11:52am On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Sounds great. I add weight easily. I will try this recipe.thank you for sharing

1 Like

Re: Update On Imported ‘india Garri’: Health Minister Now Aware & Taken Actions by dustydee: 11:53am On Feb 21, 2017
jibrilaminum:

Your concerns are valid but rather than focus on the government, I will rather focus on the people. The government cannot keep banning everything, they may violate WTO rules. If there’s no market, then the imports will stop. Honestly, I don’t believe Nigerians will patronise this product in Nigeria, maybe in the UK. I am based in the UK and I have not bought this product although I do not like garri a lot. The two problems with this particular product based on what I read above is
1. It is not NAFDAC registered
2. It appears to have been imported from the UK through Ghana to make it seem like it was coming from the ECOWAS sub-region for tax and duty purposes.
Overall, NAFDAC needs to up its game to check the import of food products to the country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Amiloaded Feeds 1000 Osun Street Kids / Easter Fried Rice | Step By Step Guide To Make Fried Rice / Over 70% Nigerian Foods Rejected Abroad - NAFDAC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.