Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,863 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? (13657 Views)

In Terms Of Employment: Good Grade Vs Age / Good Grade Still Matters, Work Hard For It / How I Got A Job In This RECESSION (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Gwan2(m): 2:41pm On Feb 22, 2017
I will keep repeating this.....TIME AND CHANCE HAPPENETH TO EVERYONE.....Take ur time and sharpen urself and be good in whateva you find urself doing...Most definite, u won't pass by all the chances dat present themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Kazrem(m): 2:41pm On Feb 22, 2017
Even if it doesn't guarantee you a job it would get you interviews.

2 Likes

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Feb 22, 2017
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Feb 22, 2017
j
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by wacoj(m): 2:42pm On Feb 22, 2017
Good grade ba wo!
Though it is good for first impression but what really matters in this country of ours is connection.

I have a friend with a third class in Accounting, he worked with Eco Bank then, now works
at the Accountant General of the federation's office Abuja.

Me I have a 2.1 Accounting, Chartered Accountant yet I am underemployed NOT unemployed!

3 Likes

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by japhethGold: 2:43pm On Feb 22, 2017
Absolutely yes, good grades will give u massive advantage in the competitive labour market but you must trust God very well, be very smart, have positive attitude towards life and reflect the good grades all over you in speech, reasoning and thinking.

2 Likes

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Feb 22, 2017
GOOD GRADE BAWO, OGBENI U BETTER DAYANMO

2 Likes

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by ultimatebas(m): 2:44pm On Feb 22, 2017
Yeah. Good grades can get one good jobs in NIGERIA. I am a beneficiary.

2 Likes

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by TerrorSquad147: 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2017
Kazrem:
Even if it doesn't guarantee you a job it would get you interviews.
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Feb 22, 2017
`
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Feb 22, 2017
Sometimes
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Karleb(m): 2:48pm On Feb 22, 2017
You lots are confusing reading to pass to cramming. Every student needs to read to pass to pass, cramming is a whole different ball game.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Adiwana: 2:50pm On Feb 22, 2017
Forget all this people here calling bill gates,mark zugerburg and the rest.if you can spend 4/5 yrs of your life doing something, I see no reason not getting the best out of that which you are doing.
Why place your future in hopes/What people say when you can get. 2.1/1.1/2.2/3.1,come out and face the music.Don't follow this people,when you will be suffering cos of poor result,they wouldn't be there.Get the best out of school which in essence is good results, if that will guarantee you job,fantastic, if not you have nothing to lose

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Luukasz(m): 2:51pm On Feb 22, 2017
pocohantas:
Yes it can.
Don't let anyone deceive you.
It creates opportunities for you, if you can defend the grade...you would definitely go far.
You may go far in some aspect but u cant go as far as muhammed alli, malcom x, steve jobs et al who didn't even finish school not to talk of havn a good grade. We've laid to much emphasis on academics,certificate and good grades in NG and stil it aint gettin us anywhere. I wont stop sayn it academics has in no way added to the growth and development of Nigeria but instead it has givn birth to sets of people with no creativity nor innovation at all. Our Judiciary system is zero yet we av law as a course in our uni's,political system zero yet there's pol science also i can go on and on but i dont av time for being a nonentity to the society.

1 Like

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Feb 22, 2017
HenryQuest:
Grading system is one of the problems we have in this country. We have made it that students no longer study to know but study to pass. At the end of the day, we produce students who passed based on grade but not in actual field or practical performance.

So who told you those that bested you in grade cannot best you in "actual field or practical performance"?

I don't know where people get this assumption that you cannot make a good grade and still be a performer.

2 Likes

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 22, 2017
`
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by japhethGold: 2:57pm On Feb 22, 2017
wacoj:
Good grade ba wo!
Though it is good for first impression but what really matters in this country of ours is connection.

I have a friend with a third class in Accounting, he worked with Eco Bank then, now works
at the Accountant General of the federation's office Abuja.

Me I have a 2.1 Accounting, Chartered Accountant yet I am underemployed NOT unemployed!

I think it all depends on you! I repeat, it largely depends on you! Your third class guy may not necessarily have connection but might be so smart in spotting opportunities and striving to reach out and establish necessary contacts that could boost his chances of succeeding. I was not yet ACA when I started earning more than many chartered accountants, because I trusted God and was always prepared to take the accompanied risks. Also, you may be lacking in information: you need to connect with people who can give you information. For example, do you belong to the nearest ICAN district society in your state? Because the society members can give you valuable information about great job opportunities in their offices and this can land you a life changing job! Do you even know that ICAN has a job porter that companies looking for chartered accountants advertise vacancies on to pick candidates?

Sometimes, we are the biggest enemy of ourselves! That is the truth! God will help us in Jesus Name. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Ekakamba: 2:57pm On Feb 22, 2017
Yes! + how well you defended it in an oral and practical interview! I'm a living testimony. I got a job while serving. Mind you good grade can only epp you get a job in private organizations not gidan gwapnati.

My grade? 3rd class lower!
tongue

2 Likes

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by engrrichie92(m): 3:00pm On Feb 22, 2017
aumeehn:
davide470 Alexk2 importexpert Youngmodulus lalasticlala poisonedone

I'm not good at writing so i will try and summarize my post.

I was having a conversation with my brother who is studying Electrical engineering in one of the federal universities in the country. He keep on saying that Good grades at school guarantees a Job, there is this neighbor of ours that have been unemployed since 2015 after graduating from School but my brother said the guy graduated with 2.2 that's why he is unemployed! i know that it's good to graduate with good grades but i dont believe 1st class or 2.1 can fetch you a job in this country.

Gurus in the house does 2.1 or 1st class guarantees a good job in this country?

YES it does, it got me my first job and hey that was just last year
so dont let Nigeria or Nigerian economy debar you from putting in your best in all you do
Do your best and leave the rest to God

1 Like

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by economania(m): 3:01pm On Feb 22, 2017
Good grade assists in private sectors connection works in public sectors.God acts as a determinant factor of man's chance of opportunity.

1 Like

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by samuelson06(m): 3:01pm On Feb 22, 2017
Benita27:
Try seeking for a job with a third class. Only then will you be able to answer this your question.

Don't let those who believe education doesn't matter deceive you.

You may be wrong with that assertion. Acquiring good grades is fine but God matters most. I had a 3rd class. I finished my NYSC in November last year and today I have gotten something to do with nothing <100k per month in an NGO. So what can you say about that? It all depends on you about the direction you want your life to go. Nothing is strong enough to stop you; not even your grades. The point is that people are different, what works for me may not work for you because our faith in God are different.

2 Likes

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by 1wolex85: 3:01pm On Feb 22, 2017
anonimi:
Grade is generally evidence that you crammed what your lecturer gave you and returned back to sender during the exams.
Skills and knowledge is different, which is what an employer needs to feel in order to satisfy herself that you can add value to the organisation beyond the salary you will be paid.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2920815_fbimg1443594726987_jpegc00071cb2902eb1726fe8107c3b2dbb6

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855782_imaginationwallpaper10708146_jpeg8ab611433e315906637ee14df7014eeb

Why didnt you cram and get 1st class if its that easy? Cramming means you have retentive memory which is very useful and you must have a level of understanding to be able to even cram in some courses.
@op, its no guarantee but it gets you in the door.

2 Likes

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by slap1(m): 3:02pm On Feb 22, 2017
Which kain mumu question be this one?
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Sultty(m): 3:03pm On Feb 22, 2017
aumeehn:

I was having a conversation with my brother who is studying Electrical engineering in one of the federal universities in the country. He keep on saying that Good grades at school guarantees a Job, there is this neighbor of ours that have been unemployed since 2015 after graduating from School but my brother said the guy graduated with 2.2 that's why he is unemployed! i know that it's good to graduate with good grades but i dont believe 1st class or 2.1 can fetch you a job in this country.

in all honesty good grades in Nigeria does not guarantee u a good job, because most of the so called well paying jobs are reserved for children of those with 'long legs' but first graduate with 1st class and 2.1 cuz it pays to b hardworking
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Feb 22, 2017
aumeehn:

I was having a conversation with my brother who is studying Electrical engineering in one of the federal universities in the country. He keep on saying that Good grades at school guarantees a Job, there is this neighbor of ours that have been unemployed since 2015 after graduating from School but my brother said the [b]guy graduated with 2.2 [/b]that's why he is unemployed! i know that it's good to graduate with good grades but i dont believe 1st class or 2.1 can fetch you a job in this country.

I graduated with 2.2 and i haven't been unemployed for more than 1 year, it's about what skill you have to offer, a job like Banking of course you will find it hard to scale if your grades were poor, but a practical skill will get you far, also what people fail to do is to engage into something after school regardless of pay, most just want a 400k job over-night, it doesn't work that way unless you are connected or favored by God.

1 Like

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Feb 22, 2017
samuelson06:

You may be wrong with that assertion. Acquiring good grades is fine but God matters most. I had a 3rd class. I finished my NYSC in November last year and today I have gotten something to do with nothing <100k per month in an NGO. So what can you say about that? It all depends on you about the direction you want your life to go. Nothing is strong enough to stop you; not even your grades.
A third class graduate in Nigeria with a job of above 100k monthly could only be come by by "man know man" or "God's grace" else, the kind suffer wey you go suffer to get reasonable job eeh!. grin

Even the 2.1 graduates are finding it difficult to secure jobs. In a nutshell, grade matters inasmuch as we do more of favouritism in this part of the world.
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Feb 22, 2017
1wolex85:

Why didnt you cram and get 1st class if its that easy? Cramming means you have retentive memory which is very useful and you must have a level of understanding to be able to even cram in some courses.
@op, its no guarantee but it gets you in the door.

100% Wrong, Cramming is just Garbage in garbage out (Data without processing) A Data is useless if information cannot be interpreted from it, if you don't understand it then it's a problem once you understand the underlying foundation of anything you won't need to cram infact you will find it easier to expland upon such knowledge, in the Software Dev field you need to understand what you are doing and why rather than just pouring out what you took in, doesn't work in the real world.

1 Like

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Feb 22, 2017
allrightsir:

and here ladies and gentlemen is a major reason graduates fail to find jobs.

I can pardon your ignorance. That is how shallow your vocabulary depth is. Screenshot below is for your education.

By the way, do I look like a graduate looking for job?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by ikorodureporta: 3:10pm On Feb 22, 2017
Yes! You get invites, especially if its a measure of yr potentials, 'cos not so for all good grade holders
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by FavoredGuy: 3:13pm On Feb 22, 2017
First class ooo! Second class ooo! Third class ooo! Even fourth class ooo!!! None of them makes you an important person to humanity. What makes you a rare gem is your ability to solve human problems. Get the ability, utilize it well and timely, and history will never forget you. But put your hope/trust in CGPA (ordinary paper work which can be maneovred) and limit your achievements and potentials in life. Paper qualification is not transferrable (once you breathe your last, that's all); hence we should rather go for those skills/knowledge that will live even when we are gone, striving to leave indelible footprint in the sands of time.
Nigeria will start growing faster the very day we shift emphasis from paper qualifications to developing our human capacity. I had the so-called good grade though, but that's NOT what is differentiating me from my peers.

2 Likes

Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by chuggy(m): 3:14pm On Feb 22, 2017
horlanrewaju11:
hmmm.....am out of words(connection or no connection is by grass)
shey na elephant grass grin
Re: Can Good Grade Fetch You A Job In Nigeria? by Ruggedpen: 3:14pm On Feb 22, 2017
ima mmadu(connection) is better than good grade

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N-power Batch C: Deployment/physical Verification Will Be Communicated Via Email / Most Dangerous Jobs In Nigeria / Police Recruitment: 925 Names Smuggled Into Constable List - PSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.