Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,550 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. (21731 Views)

How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary / 4 Funny Ways To Impress Interviewers At Any Interview And Get The Job / 5 Solid Reasons Why You Didn't Hear Back From The Interviewers/recruiters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by coolcharm(m): 7:49am On Feb 23, 2017
VitaminB12:
is this Victor Ikpeba?
are you a programmer?
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by Cmeo(m): 7:50am On Feb 23, 2017
t
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by femi4: 7:51am On Feb 23, 2017
CriticMaestro:
You are very wrong my friend, I dont blame u, I blame the illiterate mod that pushed this to fp to deceive people, any company's HR is responsible in knowing its strength and weakness in all departments of an organization, the reason why they act such question is to strengthen the channel the feel is targetting the required candidates the need in their organization..please dont do that again
You are not informed.....Forget theory, these are practical experiences of unemployed graduates in Nigeria
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by Udpconcept(m): 7:52am On Feb 23, 2017
I worked in an organisation before were my boss asked all HR staff if we have anybody that read a certain course
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by Nobody: 7:53am On Feb 23, 2017
Ok
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by femi4: 7:54am On Feb 23, 2017
Edubestconsult:
Big FAT lie!

N:B- I am an HR Professional
Professional my foot....how many of you go about your duties following due process
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by VitaminB12(m): 7:58am On Feb 23, 2017
coolcharm:
are you a programmer?
grin Naah sometimes you need to code up
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by Cmeo(m): 7:59am On Feb 23, 2017
skademzy:
Wrong. I attended an interview haven been reffered by the headnof the interview team. He sent me text before it got to my turn never to mention the staff that reffered me because that's where others who came in before me got things wrong most... Best answers depends on the motive of your interviewers.

I totally agree with u that the best answer depends on the motovow of your interviewers. I have a knowledge that some people have been denied employment opportunities simply because they mention through staff or relatives. They were denied the job because the organization want to give opportunity to people who have genuine interest in working with the company and have no prior close person relations/friends in the company.
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by fuckboys: 8:00am On Feb 23, 2017
HRich:
Try this today 3J7M6NF
is this a booking number?
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by sirpharrell(m): 8:02am On Feb 23, 2017
I think different interviewers may have different motives for asking this question. I am an employer of over 300 people and conduct interviews myself sometimes. Because of the type of business I head, I prefer employing new staff that are recommended by trusted current members of staff. When I ask the question, it is aimed at getting to know who referred the potential employee. In almost every recruiting process, you will be spoiled by choices so referral by a trusted aide of the Director or management staff may give you an edge. This I can say for my company which is a relatively small/medium scale private company where staff can be entrusted with some cash everyday. So trust is almost as important as competence. In larger companies, the motive may be different.
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by Rinsola32(f): 8:27am On Feb 23, 2017
Blurryface:
I don comot from labor market since 2005, so this one no 'consign' me.

Is that you in the picture? grin
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by Rinsola32(f): 8:29am On Feb 23, 2017
izzy4shizzy:
Meanwhile....

This one na international "seketry" grin
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by Majesticniyi(m): 8:31am On Feb 23, 2017
Where I work, if you make the mistake of saying you got referred through someone in the company...you have lost the job already.

NB: its a multinational

1 Like

Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by Nobody: 8:49am On Feb 23, 2017
shutupareyouGOD:
I had always wondered why some interviewers ask the where did you hear about this job question until an experienced HR person told me the truth.
He said they asked to know if you heard about the job through a staff of the company i.e referral basis and how strong the referral is. This atimes guarantees you the job. So if you know a staff of any company you are going for an interview do state the person and not say the usual social media or company website answer.

For most serious companies, it is to measure the effectiveness of the various mediums of communicating vacancy availability.

1 Like

Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by castel428: 8:51am On Feb 23, 2017
HRich:
Try this today 3J7M6NF
bet9ja?
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by castel428: 8:56am On Feb 23, 2017
femi4:
You are wrong

The question is usually ask to know those with strong connection.

Few years back I didn't get a job from a coy cos of that question. Eight of us made it to the final stage and they couldn't separate us until one of them asked us

"How did you get here?"

Answers like: My brother works here, Through the Hr, bla bla etc were flowing. When it got to my turn, I said via advert ( it wasn't advertised anyway, just a random CV submission I usually do) and that was the end. Till today, they never get back to me.
and here my own cousin well placed in a bank can't help me coz we bear the same surname bla bla bla.
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by femynho(m): 9:09am On Feb 23, 2017
Hr professionals do consider the cost of advertisement and as well as other roles in their care. Therefore, knowing the right channel will likely reduce the future cost of advertisement - thereby making use of the most economical and effecient way of getting things (e.g. recruitment) done.
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by Goalnaldo(m): 9:25am On Feb 23, 2017
HRich:
Try this today 3J7M6NF
whats this?a dream lotto number?
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by Zendinho(m): 9:38am On Feb 23, 2017
HRich:
Try this today 3J7M6NF

May oluwa butter ur bread.....
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by Goalnaldo(m): 9:42am On Feb 23, 2017
fuckboys:
is this a booking number?
yea bet9ja
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by fuckboys: 9:50am On Feb 23, 2017
Goalnaldo:
yea bet9ja
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by laiza(m): 10:11am On Feb 23, 2017
shutupareyouGOD:
I had always wondered why some interviewers ask the where did you hear about this job question until an experienced HR person told me the truth.
He said they asked to know if you heard about the job through a staff of the company i.e referral basis and how strong the referral is. This atimes guarantees you the job. So if you know a staff of any company you are going for an interview do state the person and not say the usual social media or company website answer.
I think the question is relative. How I know this? You cannot honestly know what's on a recruiters mind, so you just have to go with your gut feeling. Either your family works there or a friend is not important as telling the truth you can "defend" in the long run, not all truth cab be defended. Why honesty is the best policy is try imagining your so called relative or friend not in the good term with the recruiter, do you honestly think he/she will consider you when you openly say "I got the info from so so and so?
Furthermore, just as on dude said, some jobs aren't advertised at all and at times the whistle blower might want to protect himself. And at other times, they don't want the people that already work in the company to have a quota in the screening process that's why they don't employ some "relatives" of some employers. This happened to me once when I went for SKG Pharma interview. I was asked how I heard and I said I know the Regional manager, that was the end of it. Even though I looked forward to eating lunch at their cafeteria everyday and there was one lady I was sure I'd definitely bang because she was just smiling at me anyhow and I was feeling stupidly cocky, but I blew it all by saying I knew someone. Just be honest, that's my own opinion of it shaa.
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by xest(m): 10:25am On Feb 23, 2017
HRich:
Try this today 3J7M6NF
correct man joor
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by Nokio1: 10:33am On Feb 23, 2017
This early morning you people want to confuse us OK continuu
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by Nobody: 1:55pm On Feb 23, 2017
shutupareyouGOD:

Thanks for sharing this key tip.

I want to advise career changers in the house: in the "real" world, networking and referrals get things done, with less paperwork.

Pray hard...and brush up your connections.

Cheers
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by hisMrs(f): 2:01pm On Feb 23, 2017
shutupareyouGOD:
not nigerian recruiters....im am mainly talking of unadvertised jobs that get leaked to the public. Do not be deceived. A subsidiary of NNPC just concluded underground recruitment and do you think this question in this context would mean what you said....when they didnt publish the vacancy.

sorry o, what if you do not know anyone in the company, what will u na say is the best answer?
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by hisMrs(f): 2:02pm On Feb 23, 2017
Dandsome:
Chai... Nawao

What if you are indirectly putting the "whistle blower" in trouble?

ghen ghen
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by hisMrs(f): 2:04pm On Feb 23, 2017
femi4:
You are wrong

Few years back I didn't get a job from a coy cos of that question. Eight of us made it to the final stage and they couldn't separate us until one of them asked us

"How did you get here?"

Answers like: My brother works here, Through the Hr, bla bla etc were flowing. When it got to my turn, I said via advert ( it wasn't advertised anyway, just a random CV submission I usually do) and that was the end. Till today, they never get back to me.

if the job was not advertise that's a different thing.
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by shutupareyouGOD: 3:31pm On Feb 23, 2017
femi4:
You are not informed.....Forget theory, these are practical experiences of unemployed graduates in Nigeria
leave them to be following the norm...I'm telling you what's happening. ..even the so called advertised jobs, do you not know before it is advertised they would first send it to all the company staff to send in their referrals. I was hoping to share a trick and not to cause a debate.
Wow so I made front page.
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by shutupareyouGOD: 3:34pm On Feb 23, 2017
sirpharrell:
I think different interviewers may have different motives for asking this question. I am an employer of over 300 people and conduct interviews myself sometimes. Because of the type of business I head, I prefer employing new staff that are recommended by trusted current members of staff. When I ask the question, it is aimed at getting to know who referred the potential employee. In almost every recruiting process, you will be spoiled by choices so referral by a trusted aide of the Director or management staff may give you an edge. This I can say for my company which is a relatively small/medium scale private company where staff can be entrusted with some cash everyday. So trust is almost as important as competence. In larger companies, the motive may be different.
thank you
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by shutupareyouGOD: 3:39pm On Feb 23, 2017
Anyways the best thing to do is to call your referral and ask for permission.
Re: The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. by moshino(m): 4:27pm On Feb 23, 2017
femi4:
You are wrong

"How did you get here?"

If the job was not advertised, but you said "via advert", then that means you lied to them and they knew it, no company wants to hire liars and thieves. That's why you didn't get the job.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2017 First City Monument Bank Recruitment For Entry Level Graduate Analysts / I Didn't Negotiate My Salary Well / Points to note before sending out your CV to a recruiter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.