Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,755 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 (27467 Views)

Impeach Buhari: Court Orders National Assembly To Begin Process / Lagos 4th Mainland Bridge: Is This The End Of This Masterpice? / Ambode Cancels N844b Lagos 4th Mainland Bridge, Terminates concessionaire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by doctokwus: 6:34pm On Feb 22, 2017
Unimaginable123:
because of 4th mainland bridge? In Seoul, south Korea, there are 21 bridges that link the island to their mainland. Confirm
My broda,d thing tire sombrody.
Just because of a 23km light rail and a proposed 4th mainland bridge and eko atlantic city,lagos will now compete with other megacities in d world!
Despite google and cheap internet,d way some pple display their ignorance is dumbfounding.
Ambode is doing a marvellous job,compared to d many incompetent govs spread round and a utterly incompetent and sick president,but Lagos needs at least 25 yrs of such development to catch up with d 2nd string of mega cities and 50 to catch up with d likes of Tokyo Seoul,London,etc

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by Nobody: 6:39pm On Feb 22, 2017
ChetaNwaeze:
We Igbos are the one that developed Lagos
either you shut up or go back and develop your non existent biafra. Fool.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by browniex: 6:42pm On Feb 22, 2017
Before the coming of the third mainland bridge, how did lagosians use to commute between the mainland and island?just asking.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by ikorodureporta: 6:43pm On Feb 22, 2017
Start & complete ASAP to free us from ikorodu traffic...

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by nassjonathan: 6:45pm On Feb 22, 2017
close your smelling mouth We Igbos are the one that developed Lagos
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by wristbangle: 6:46pm On Feb 22, 2017
Majoriki:

What will happen to other suburbs in lag

I don't know yet but if good plans and strategies can be executed, residents will be retained with tidy environment.
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by ikorodureporta: 6:46pm On Feb 22, 2017
browniex:
Before the coming of the third mainland bridge, how did lagosians use to commute between the mainland and island?just asking.

thru waterways, & eko bridge, besides those areas like ikorodu, mowe & co using d 3rd mainland bridge were less populated

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by florixi: 6:49pm On Feb 22, 2017
Unimaginable123:
Nnewi is more developed than osogbo

That's good for you guys. Hope u can relocate to Nnewi now and leave our cities and towns alone.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by wristbangle: 6:55pm On Feb 22, 2017
doctokwus:

Just because of a 23km light rail and a proposed 4th mainland bridge and eko atlantic city,lagos will now compete with other megacities in d world!
Despite google and cheap internet,d way some pple display their ignorance is dumbfounding.
Ambode is doing a marvellous job,compared to d many incompetent govs spread round and a utterly incompetent and sick president,but Lagos needs at least 25 yrs of such development to catch up with d 2nd string of mega cities and 50 to catch up with d likes of Tokyo Seoul,London,etc

You are right. One step @ a time. Those cities u mentioned were planned many decades ago and successive government has ensured that the plans are consistently executed to achieve the desired perfect city

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by browniex: 6:55pm On Feb 22, 2017
doctokwus:

Nigeria can catch up with them if they work at a very fast pace,churning out projects after projects,but everyone knows that it is a mere pipe dream,they are a lot of proposed projects in this country that are either still on paper or uncompleted, we always start what we can't finish.dubai was merely a desert a couple of years back,but look how far they have gone now,so it is not how long a country exists it is about how committed and dedicated they are to turning around thier situation.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by nassjonathan: 6:56pm On Feb 22, 2017
freezy9:
Say no to biafra
if u let biafra go wuld 9 ja dii if yes then biafra is the heart of nigeria if it sneezes nigeria wuld catch cold
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by Nobody: 6:57pm On Feb 22, 2017
What about mile2 -badagry road and rail construction?sad
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by Nobody: 6:59pm On Feb 22, 2017
browniex:

good question. I think naptu2 can answer.
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by tete7000(m): 7:12pm On Feb 22, 2017
Grundig:
Everywhere in Lagos is littered with one project or the other. How ambode does it with little or no noise is impressive.

Should ambode deliver on the pronised 350mw then I will clamour for his presidency.

Ambode is only continuing what people before him started. We should also give kudos to those before him who conceived some of these ideas. Government ought to be a continuum and it is gladdening that the government of Lagos State decided to embrace that concept. It is a good one for the proper development of the state.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by Just30: 7:13pm On Feb 22, 2017
noziz:
Lagos State is bigger than Sierra Leone and Ghana grin
this is the dumbest comment ever

Ghana is 1/4 the the entire Nigeria
Go and learn proper geography
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by noziz(m): 7:15pm On Feb 22, 2017
ALAYORMII:

Don't know about Sierra Leone but Lagos is not as big as Ghana

have u asked y most foreigners find themselves in Lagos when they enter into Nigeria? My guy Lagos is more popular and bigger than some african countries.e.g. Guinnea Bissau, Congo, Mali. My guy the list is endless i no fit shout grin
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by noziz(m): 7:20pm On Feb 22, 2017
Just30:

undecided
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by noziz(m): 7:23pm On Feb 22, 2017
Just30:

u don run check google abi inside exam hall. clap for your self grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by Just30: 7:25pm On Feb 22, 2017
noziz:

u don run check google abi inside exam hall. clap for your self grin
why would I need Google for something that I know

You think everyone is dumb as u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by naptu2: 7:32pm On Feb 22, 2017
browniex:

Joavid:

Everybody used Carter Bridge before the Gowon Government conceived of the Ring Road project (which included Eko and Third Mainland bridges).

The government imposed the odd and even number system in order to reduce the traffic jams in the 1970s and 80s. It didn't work. Lots of people had both odd and even numbered cars.

President Shagari commissioned the first section of the Third Mainland Bridge c1980. This was the section from Lagos Island to Ebute Metta. So you would get off the bridge at Ebute Metta, then take Herbert Macaulay Road and Ikorodu Road in order to get to Ikeja.

I remember the great traffic jam of 1989. Eko Bridge was closed for repairs, so everybody had to use either Carter Bridge or Third Mainland Bridge.

On the first day of the closure, I was at home in Ikoyi, waiting for the driver to bring someone home from Queen's College in Yaba. The school day ended at 2 o'clock, so I would usually expect them to be home by 3 or 3:30.

3:30 became 4 and then 5 o'clock. That's when I made the mistake of deciding to go and look for them (there were no mobile phones at that time).
The traffic jam on Third Mainland Bridge and Herbert Macaulay Road was incredible. People heading towards the mainland had taken over the entire road and it was impossible to drive to the Island (which was why my driver was stuck). Worse still, we got to QC, only to be told that they left hours ago. I took Murtala Muhammed Way and Carter Bridge on the way back. Herbert Macaulay Way and Third Mainland Bridge were impassable.

It was because of that great traffic jam in 1989 that a third lane on Herbert Macaulay Way (from St Agnes to Jibowu) was reserved for people heading to Ikeja.

Then c1990, Colonel Raji Rasaki was appointed governor of Lagos. According to Babangida, Colonel Rasaki "disturbed" him every day about the Third Mainland Bridge, to the extent that he had to tell his secretary not to allow Rasaki in whenever he came to State House.

The bridge was finally completed in 1990 and there was a huge party on the bridge to mark the commissioning. Immediately President Babangida left the event, Sir Shina Peters took to the stage and the party had begun. I can still remember how Governor Rasaki danced happily at the commissioning.

The section of the bridge from Ebute Metta to Oworonsoki was renamed IBB Bridge on the day that the Federal Government moved to Abuja. I still have a video of that ceremony.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by Origin(f): 7:33pm On Feb 22, 2017
I just feel a good electric light rail system would work wonders. Easy fast affordable and good for a metropolis.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by naptu2: 7:36pm On Feb 22, 2017
browniex:

Joavid:

johnie:
In the seventies, only the Carter(First) and Eko (Second) Bridges linked the Island with the mainland.

Carter bridge was constructed by the colonial government while the military ( I believe Gowon) built the Eko Bridge.

The odd and even number concept was adopted to reduce vehicular movement in the seventies. Odd-number vehicles could ply the major roads on particular days and even-number cars on the other days. Ojuelegba and Yaba were two major bottlenecks in those days. Fela's song Ojuelegba , was about the regular confusion at the place. Whenever we were going to school and climbed the overhead bridge at Jibowu (from where we could clearly see the traffic situation at Yaba), my dad would remark Yaba O wo loni o! - meaning Yaba is messed up today. grin

In those days, people such as my parents had to have two cars -one even and the other odd numbered. My dad still advises me today to ensure that my cars are evenly spread between odd and even - just in case the number regime returns! grin

The Third Mainland Bridge was constructed by the Babangida government and was actually named after him (Ibrahim Babangida Boulevard) on completion. That name did not stick particularly because of the June 12 Saga which shortly followed the opening of the bridge. In the first phase of the project, Adeniji to Adekunle was done and open to traffic. When completed, the Adekunle-Oworo section of the bridge was not open to traffic for about six months.

Before the Adekunle-Oworo section was opened, I worked variously at Lagos Island and VI and had to go through Adekunle to join Ikorodu road. That stretch from the Third Mainland Bride through Herbert Macaulay was hell. The traffic used to be very bad. Thank God that in those days, the incidence of robbery in the traffic hadn't started (at least I neither experienced nor heard of it).

That's how we used to "cope" then.

https://www.nairaland.com/987367/how-did-lagos-cope-before

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by blaqoracle: 7:41pm On Feb 22, 2017
freezy9:
Say no to biafra
biafra is as dead as ojukwu.
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by browniex: 7:42pm On Feb 22, 2017
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by Damibiz(m): 7:43pm On Feb 22, 2017
Nna Nwaeze,if u develop Lagos as u said,#come and collect it....thank u
ChetaNwaeze:

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by ALAYORMII: 7:44pm On Feb 22, 2017
noziz:

have u asked y most foreigners find themselves in Lagos when they enter into Nigeria? My guy Lagos is more popular and bigger than some african countries.e.g. Guinnea Bissau, Congo, Mali. My guy the list is endless i no fit shout grin

Mali is actually bigger than Nigeria
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by Damibiz(m): 7:46pm On Feb 22, 2017
Nna Nwaeze,if u develop Lagos as u said,#come and collect it..thank u
ChetaNwaeze:

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by ifycent2: 7:46pm On Feb 22, 2017
Abudu2000:
close your smelling mouth there, Lagos developed ibo and not the other way round!!!

what a hell ar u talking abt....

watch ur statement *Lagos developed ibo*...

We ibo people developed Lagos state via Business strategies.

If u don't no wat to say u beta close dat ur smelling mouth......

plz Don't provoke me to start talking abt tribes here... I Say No To dat!!!!!...
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by noziz(m): 7:48pm On Feb 22, 2017
Just30:
why would I need Google for something that I know

You think everyone is dumb as u
is either ur brain dey pain u or dem dye ur brain. u need brain surgery cool
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by noziz(m): 7:49pm On Feb 22, 2017
ALAYORMII:

Mali is actually bigger than Nigeria
k cool
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by naptu2: 7:50pm On Feb 22, 2017
browniex:
thanks for the info, quite revealing.

I remember when you could see, what I used to call the "sheer drop".

There were barriers on the road at the Ebute Metta end of the bridge. They prevented you from going straight, so you had to use the exit. You could see the "sheer drop" (the place where the bridge abruptly came to an end) from the exit ramp.

There were always workmen there, but they never did anything. Then sometime in the late '80s, the extended the bridge a little bit. Not by much, just a little bit and then they abandoned it again.

Then in 1990 they completed it. I was surprised at how quickly they completed it, after abandoning it for several years.
Re: Lagos To Begin Construction Of 4th Mainland This Year, 2017 by bigsmoke2(m): 7:53pm On Feb 22, 2017
Finish rail project first before embarking on another white elephant project.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tolu Ogunlesi Calls Nigerians 'Animals' & 'Mad' Over Naomi Campbell's Visit / Osun Election: Declare PDP Winner Now, Secondus Cries Blue Murder / PDP Members Attacked In Ipo Omademe, Ikwerre Rivers State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.