Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? (19611 Views)

Questions To Ask Before Buying A Land / Cost Of Buying A 2 Bedroom Apartment In Lagos| Brook Assets And Resources / Cost Of Buying A Duplex In Lagos| Brook Assets And Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by sleeknick: 7:35am On Feb 24, 2017
adonaiandboaz:

Click on this link http:///Self-contained for samples/options.

Link doesn't work
Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by Candybob(m): 7:35am On Feb 24, 2017
Nobody can take your land from you, as you paid for it except the govt.

PROS:
- you live in a serene environment, with the basic facilities to expect in any civilized setting, except maybe light
- there is a sense of responsibility regarding things like road, gutters, sanitation, and the management of other facilities.
- there is also some degree of safety to enjoy
- People dont just walk up to your gate anytime they feel like, without calling to inform you.

CONS:
- you have very little say in how the estate is managed
- other people feel they can make rules for how you live in your own house
- you must call security to identify your visitors otherwise they will likely be turned back.
- the security is not always guaranteed
- you pay service charges for the rest of your life.
- you can still have nosy neighbours in your estate
- One fool with over-bloated ego can hold your water supply, electricity or service to ransom if you decide to do somethings you want in your house outside the estate policy. They can be pretty rigid in their rules.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by shams040(m): 7:35am On Feb 24, 2017
The following are the requirements to get your building plan approval in Lagos state.

1. Proof of land ownership/title document (CTC);
2. Copy of sun printed survey plan (Beacon sheet, in case of of scheme)
3. 4sets of architectural drawings
4. 4Set of structural drawings with calculation sheet
5. 4Set of mechanical and electronic drawings (for commercial, office, residential above 4 floors)
6. Current income tax clearance certificate
7. Current tax clearance certificate of 2 Directors and payee(corporate application)
8. Certificate of incorporation (corporate application)
9. Current special developement levey receipt
10. 3Different photographs of site with current date
11. Other requirements and clearance letter as required
Note all drawings should be in A3.

For more info visit www.egcandassociates.org.ng

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by ib22003(m): 7:42am On Feb 24, 2017
If you want to invest in lands, estates are better because you don't need to build and you can pay monthly. for example, I bought a few plots of land at @ TREASURE PARK & GARDENS PHASE 2 (CITY OF DAVID) Shimawa which is at the back of redemption camp and because of the rail projects it has appreciated well and I want to sell part of it, My price is lesser than what the estate is selling because I bought it cheaper.
I will sell Half plot and full plot.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by okunfemm(m): 7:42am On Feb 24, 2017
Estate land has d following advantsges
1. Availability of some social amenities like tared road, pipe borne water, electricity.
2. There is adequate security in d estate
3. You enjoy a peaceful atmosphere since is a layout with well plan & utilisation

Disadvantage
1. you are under authority of the management
2. you have to obey even wen not convinent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 24, 2017
Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by Nobody: 7:49am On Feb 24, 2017
Advantages,

Your land is secure, very secure, in terms of the estate we have a global c of o (documentation)
No omo onile problem or wahala, you have no business with omo onile.
Your Land Can't be forcefully taking away from you
social amenities like tared road, pipe borne water, electricity

Disadvantages.
You can't even bury a dog in the estate.
You can't even build a shop or kiosk in front of your house.
You must follow the rules and regulation of the estate, you can't build more than 2 stories, they may give you designs of what to build but for instance if you buy outside an estate, you can decide to build 10 stories as long as you have the money and the land structure make it possible for you to do so, and all the structural and engineering element is available.
If you buy outside and estate, you can turn your structure to anything you want, hotel, school, hospital, bank can even patronize you, you can't do this inside an estate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by SalamRushdie: 7:52am On Feb 24, 2017
zealblinks:
One of Pastor Adeboye's prophetic
declarations for 2017
" Those deliberately making life difficult for
the common man will be relocated"
Good morning my countrymen

And it came to pass

1 Like

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by AngelicBeing: 7:54am On Feb 24, 2017
helphelp:
Issues just many anyhow sha for dis naija
Nigeria is a jungle wink
Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by mchenryking0(m): 8:02am On Feb 24, 2017
u still be a tenant all through since the estate management still dictate terms on how thing are run e.g security fees, gutter fee, maintance fees etc.
Pls note I am not saying it is bad to buy land/house in an estate but the dictate of the estate mgt is what I don't enjoy
My opinion though

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by oluwafreshkid(m): 8:23am On Feb 24, 2017
sleeknick:

Bros how far is there from ikeja. And is there light there? I never sabi Lagos much. Just moved here
From ishaga, ₦50 bus to agege. Agege to ikeja is ₦100 max. There's normal light there.....
Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by sleeknick: 8:33am On Feb 24, 2017
oluwafreshkid:

From ishaga, ₦50 bus to agege. Agege to ikeja is ₦100 max. There's normal light there.....

Na u be d agent? Abeg snap n send to my mail.

Sleeknick863@gmail.com
Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by oluwafreshkid(m): 8:37am On Feb 24, 2017
sleeknick:

Na u be d agent? Abeg snap n send to my mail.

Sleeknick863@gmail.com
I'm not the agent, when i get to the office, i'll have the agent call you.
pM with your number...
Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by jidxin(m): 8:40am On Feb 24, 2017
koolet:
It's all based on agreement estate managers won't touch your land after making terms with them but FG could at anytime do so with some pile of compliments in handy
not Fg but state govt apart from abj
Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by Ikville(m): 8:40am On Feb 24, 2017
Aside from d obvious benefits of owning property in an estate ie...securty of land/life, facilities, etc, dere r fixed & general levies dat u hav to pay to d estate management monthly and/or yearly. Also u will be subjected to d terms & conditions & rules of d estate. Bottom line is...u r more or less a tenant in ur own house in an estate

1 Like

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by Nobody: 9:54am On Feb 24, 2017
Please I want a package where the house will be built for me in an estate here in Lagos with installmental payment of at most 250k monthly over a couple of years. Can anyone help?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by PearlStreet(m): 10:45am On Feb 24, 2017
pfadom:
There are instances when the management just consult supposed land owners for land purchase. After a couple of years, other families begin litigation to take over land claiming they're the authentic owners.
1. There may be no end to payment even years after buying plots within estate.
2. The estate management may use the papers as collateral for loan or even transfer papers to another management who would come with other fees.
3. There is a thin line between tenancy and a landlord in an estate.

The info in your post is what a lot of buyers of estates in Nigeria are ignorant of.

I handle lots of land transactions and in the course of pre-purchase inspections, I discovered that a lot of estates don't have valid documents enabling them to sell. If you ask them, they'll give you one file number to check at Alausa that they're processing their excision. This is a big lie as government doesn't give excision to Real Estate companies, but to traditional landowning families and communities.

Most of them are selling future litigation that would not be borne by then but by their subscribers. The agents can't tell you this as they also are largely concerned about collecting your money and moving on to the next unfortunate buyer.

There is a prominent Real Estate company that has an estate at Ibeju Lekki. The C of O of the family they bought from is subject of litigations, but they refused to tell their subscribers. One day, they would wake up and find that their properties have 'possession taken' written on them.

Though there are a handful of good real estate companies with proper and secure documentation and title, a greater percentage of the estates marketed here on Nairaland have defective or no title. I've done PPI on tons of them and I'm pretty sure of this.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by jeftalene(m): 11:54am On Feb 24, 2017
Always visit www.engineerosaz..com to see latest prices of building materials and to consult a building professional
Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by Winner2017: 12:11pm On Feb 24, 2017
One of the Advantages to purchasing Land form a Real Estate is that it develops fast and appreciates. Do you wish for an opportunity to own a genuine landed property in good locations for Future homes and Businesses, with a flexible payment System?, C of O and registered Survey?. Then this offer is for you! At Arepo, (DreamLand Court), Isheri North Near Berger Bridge (MercyLand Park & Gardens),
Mowe –Ofada (Kabiosi Golf Estate), Simawa (Beside RCCG Camp), Orile –Imo (Shagamu Interchage) Orangedrop Farm Estate, Giwa Iju-Ishaga Lighthouse County (Iju-Ishaga), Atan-Ota Glory Park Estate, Ifo (Kings Court) Ibogun Town close to Lafarge-WAPCO and Dangote, Lekki and Ikorudu.

For more information Contact:
Dimeji
Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by olajide2428(m): 12:44pm On Feb 24, 2017
MAY GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR REPLY, PLEASE WHAT ABOUT WHEN THEY SAY THEY HAVE A GLOBAL C OF O FOR ALL THE LANDS IN THE ESTATE.

project4OO:
In so far as you have your deed of assignment, a survey and your C of O, management cannot wake up and ask you to vacate your property...only the government can.

Remember, you also have to abide with the rules from the management? Converting a residential property into a commercial or industrial without management approval may attract issues. Also, failure to stick with design/building rules and other agreements stated in the "contract of sales" may equally attract issues.

The above are some likely conditions that may lead to forfeiture legal battles.

Advantages
- You are less prone to illegal activities from land grabbers
- Little bureaucratic processes
- Good organization and cooperation among residents
- Better security
- Payment flexibility (some management allow a 1, 2, even 5 year payment plan).
Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by OmerianConsult: 1:13pm On Feb 24, 2017
Estate lands could give greater peace of mind than others as there is unlikely to be encroachment. Also, the service charge will not be arbitrarily determined by the owners but by the residents' association. This leads to greater cooperation on important issues such as security and sanitation. There are many estates whose owners do not interfere in issues such as building type. They just want to sell their lands.

Buy genuine estate lands in Ibeju Lekki near Dangote Refinery, Deep Sea Port and Free Trade Zone. Prices differ according to proximity to these great developments. There are lands of 750,000; 1.5m, 2.5m, 3m and 4m per plots. They all have verifiable documentations.

Call 08188360168, 08132232989. Inspection is every day.
Ibeju Lekki will be one of the best places in Nigeria. This is the best time to invest.

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by InvertedHammer: 2:20pm On Feb 24, 2017
HsLBroker:
Advantages,

Your land is secure, very secure, in terms of the estate we have a global c of o (documentation)
No omo onile problem or wahala, you have no business with omo onile.
Your Land Can't be forcefully taking away from you
social amenities like tared road, pipe borne water, electricity

Disadvantages.
You can't even bury a dog in the estate.
You can't even build a shop or kiosk in front of your house.
You must follow the rules and regulation of the estate, you can't build more than 2 stories, they may give you designs of what to build but for instance if you buy outside an estate, you can decide to build 10 stories as long as you have the money and the land structure make it possible for you to do so, and all the structural and engineering element is available.
If you buy outside and estate, you can turn your structure to anything you want, hotel, school, hospital, bank can even patronize you, you can't do this inside an estate.
/
Everything you enumerated in your disadvantages sound like advantages unless you are insinuating that orderliness is bad.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by brain247(m): 2:24pm On Feb 24, 2017
Call 09096705432
Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by olujaidi: 2:36pm On Feb 24, 2017
PearlStreet:

The info in your post is what a lot of buyers of estates in Nigeria are ignorant of.

I handle lots of land transactions and in the course of pre-purchase inspections, I discovered that a lot of estates don't have valid documents enabling them to sell. If you ask them, they'll give you one file number to check at Alausa that they're processing their excision. This is a big lie as government doesn't give excision to Real Estate companies, but to traditional landowning families and communities.

Most of them are selling future litigation that would not be borne by then but by their subscribers. The agents can't tell you this as they also are largely concerned about collecting your money and moving on to the next unfortunate buyer.

There is a prominent Real Estate company that has an estate at Ibeju Lekki. The C of O of the family they bought from is subject of litigations, but they refused to tell their subscribers. One day, they would wake up and find that their properties have 'possession taken' written on them.

Though there are a handful of good real estate companies with proper and secure documentation and title, a greater percentage of the estates marketed here on Nairaland have defective or no title. I've done PPI on tons of them and I'm pretty sure of this.

Can you mention a few of the legitimate ones
Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by dotcomnamename: 3:08pm On Feb 24, 2017
mecussey:
Dear Lawyer and all,

What is the advantages and disadvantages of this deal. I understand a company or person manages the estate, so what are your rights to your land. Can the management wake up one day and collect the land back..?

My brother, don't even try it. Buy your land from individual. Forget Estate land, you may regret it with service charges that you will certainly pay for the rest of your life. Its just as if you're still a tenant. You can't do things anyhow in estate. However, if you're a a billionaire, or really boxed up, i mean heavily boxed up, why not.. But hmmm....
Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by mecussey(m): 4:05pm On Feb 24, 2017
dotcomnamename:

My brother, don't even try it. Buy your land from individual. Forget Estate land, you may regret it with service charges that you will certainly pay for the rest of your life. Its just as if you're still a tenant. You can't do things anyhow in estate. However, if you're a a billionaire, or really boxed up, i mean heavily boxed up, why not.. But hmmm....

My bro thanks very much...i don dey think am, say how come they will do road, do this and that...u are obviously a tenant.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying A Land In An Estate? by Rexeffiom(m): 4:12pm On Feb 24, 2017
olufrankfurt:
The Disadvantage is more than Advantage, one is you on able to have your Personal C of O . One C of O covers the entire estate. Unable to beautify the external stucture to your own taste, as for me is just like a bundage.

concerning u nt being able to beautify ur house to ur taste, I'll rather say it is nt applicable to all estates..only prototype estates

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fire Outbreaks Destroy Properties Worth Millions In Osun / Fire Razes Houses In Akure, Properties Worth Millions Of Naira Destroyed / How Do I Calculate The Cost Of Fencing A Plot Of Land In Agbara Lagos .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.