Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,883 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:25 AM

5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger (5272 Views)

My Life As A Full-time Blogger / 5 Things To Consider Before You Hire A Web Design Company In Nigeria In 2018 / Part Time Blogger Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:54am On Feb 24, 2017

1. Building A Successful Blog Takes A Lot Of Time

If you want to be able to make a full-time income from a blog you'll need to build an audience, and
It doesn't happen overnight.

Although, there are some exceptions where a blog becomes popular almost instantly, but those situations are extremely rare situations that most of us can't count on.

If you want to be able to run a blog as a full-time job the best method is to start off as soon as possible and work to grow the blog part-time while still maintaining your full-time job.

Unless you're in a position where you can afford to live without much income for a while, jumping straight into full-time blogging is not likely to work out very well.

2. Running A Blog Is Like Running A Business

As a blogger, I've had to take some difficult decisions that would either make or destroy my blog. It's like making decisions for your business.
Building a successful blog requires dedication, just like if you were trying to build some other type of business.

If you take your blog like a business you will get more dedicated and consistent with your schedule and be willing to invest in your success.

3. Your Income Will Be Inconsistent
If you have always had a salaried job where your income was consistent and predictable, becoming a full-time blogger will involve some change.
Regardless of how you make money with your blog
there will always be some fluctuation from month-to-month.
This isn't a bad thing, it just requires some adjustment, and some people are more uneasy about it than others.

Personally, I like knowing that my income fluctuates because it's very obvious that the potential to make more money is right there, and it keeps me motivated.
Although your income will fluctuate, it will usually stay within a certain range, and hopefully that range will be increasing with time.
If you can adjust your lifestyle and your monthly financial commitments to fit with the low end of your range, anything that you make above that will be extra.

4. Traffic Does Not Always Equal Money

When most people start blogging their main focus is on traffic and visitor statistics.
If they had a good day in terms of traffic, it'll be considered as a success.
However, just because you have decent traffic doesn't mean that you'll have a profitable blog. Likewise, just because your blog's traffic isn't huge doesn't mean that you can't make a good income from it.

Selling advertising is one of the first monetization methods that comes to mind for most people who want to make money from a blog, but in most cases it is not the best monetization strategy.

Other options like affiliate marketing, creating and selling your own products, providing services, and having premium members-only content all offer higher income potential for most bloggers. Advertising revenue is highly dependent on traffic, but the other monetization methods allow you the possibility of having a successful blog without having high traffic numbers.

5.Having A Responsive Audience Leads To Opportunities

If you're just starting your blog don't get too overwhelmed by all of the different ways that you can go about monetizing your blog.
Most likely your monetization plans and approach will change from time-to-time anyway.
As you build your blog's audience new opportunities will arise, and some approaches that didn't seem possible earlier can suddenly become a lot more realistic.

7 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:54am On Feb 24, 2017

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by siraj1402(m): 7:01am On Feb 24, 2017
Nice one
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by momodub: 7:01am On Feb 24, 2017
Nice
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by Samanza89: 7:01am On Feb 24, 2017
Everybody want to own a blog!... I wonder if am the only one not interested in it.
Carve Your Own niche and fit into it, everyone can't succed using one angle.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by Factfinder1(m): 7:02am On Feb 24, 2017
grin
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by Iamdmentor1(m): 7:03am On Feb 24, 2017
OK
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by Nobody: 7:04am On Feb 24, 2017
f
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by Toonice(m): 7:09am On Feb 24, 2017
How can I become a blogger? Plz is there any body that can enlight me please sir/ma
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by sleeknick: 7:12am On Feb 24, 2017
Iranu... Abeg, blogging na hand work?

Meanwhile.

I need a self contain at around agege and ogba area. For 120k per annum
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by Nobody: 7:14am On Feb 24, 2017
I'm thinking of creating a thread just for bloggers.

So all nairalanders bloggers can go there and post links to all there websites and help each other generate traffic to their sites.
It will be like MMM for bloggers

Post Help - Get Help
But instead
Visit Others - Get Visits

What do you think

7 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by checkolatunji: 7:14am On Feb 24, 2017
Need someone to help me build a blog site and he's ready to mentor me.

Lagos Resident alone.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by checkolatunji: 7:16am On Feb 24, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

If you want to be able to make a full-time income from a blog you'll need to build an audience, and

Although, there are some exceptions where a blog becomes popular almost instantly, but those situations are extremely rare situations that most of us can't count on.

If you want to be able to run a blog as a full-time job the best method is to start off as soon as possible and work to grow the blog part-time while still maintaining your full-time job.

Unless you're in a position where you can afford to live without much income for a while, jumping straight into full-time blogging is not likely to work out very well.

As a blogger, I've had to take some difficult decisions that would either make or destroy my blog. It's like making decisions for your business.
Building a successful blog requires dedication, just like if you were trying to build some other type of business.

If you take your blog like a business you will get more dedicated and consistent with your schedule and be willing to invest in your success.

If you have always had a salaried job where your income was consistent and predictable, becoming a full-time blogger will involve some change.
This isn't a bad thing, it just requires some adjustment, and some people are more uneasy about it than others.

Personally, I like knowing that my income fluctuates because it's very obvious that the potential to make more money is right there, and it keeps me motivated.
Although your income will fluctuate, it will usually stay within a certain range, and hopefully that range will be increasing with time.
If you can adjust your lifestyle and your monthly financial commitments to fit with the low end of your range, anything that you make above that will be extra.

When most people start blogging their main focus is on traffic and visitor statistics.
However, just because you have decent traffic doesn't mean that you'll have a profitable blog. Likewise, just because your blog's traffic isn't huge doesn't mean that you can't make a good income from it.

Selling advertising is one of the first monetization methods that comes to mind for most people who want to make money from a blog, but in most cases it is not the best monetization strategy.

Other options like affiliate marketing, creating and selling your own products, providing services, and having premium members-only content all offer higher income potential for most bloggers. Advertising revenue is highly dependent on traffic, but the other monetization methods allow you the possibility of having a successful blog without having high traffic numbers.

If you're just starting your blog don't get too overwhelmed by all of the different ways that you can go about monetizing your blog.
Most likely your monetization plans and approach will change from time-to-time anyway.
As you build your blog's audience new opportunities will arise, and some approaches that didn't seem possible earlier can suddenly become a lot more realistic.

Good one

What's the difference between a Website and a blog

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by sakalisis(m): 7:20am On Feb 24, 2017
cool
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by talkeverytime: 7:21am On Feb 24, 2017
Well-done Naijatechguy, blogging does involve a lot of work.

I have a question please, does Adsense still approve. .com domains?
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by Desdola(m): 7:23am On Feb 24, 2017
And carrying and airing truthful information because most bloggers write rubbish without any source
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by Toplif: 7:24am On Feb 24, 2017
Vanillaskin:
I'm thinking of creating a thread just for bloggers.

So all nairalanders bloggers can go there and post links to all there websites and help each other generate traffic to their sites.
It will be like MMM for bloggers

Post Help - Get Help
But instead
Visit Others - Get Visits

What do you think
Can u manage a blog
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:28am On Feb 24, 2017
talkeverytime:
Well-done Naijatechguy, blogging does involve a lot of work.

I have a question please, does Adsense still approve. .com domains?
yes
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by Nobody: 7:28am On Feb 24, 2017
Toplif:
Can u manage a blog
I'm not understanding
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:30am On Feb 24, 2017
checkolatunji:

Good one

All Blogs Are Websites But Not All Websites Are Blogs.

A Website is just a place on the Internet , eg Forums, Blogs, E-commerce sites, Portals are all websites. Blogs on the other hand are websites that arrange their posts chronologically.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by AutoReportNG: 7:30am On Feb 24, 2017
Good topic..

But one thing I noticed about all these write ups is that they dont really explain the reality, I see this as too abstract. I took time to study LIB and BellaNaija, what makes them succed is that they create a niche for themselves and make the rules, if you are in populated niche, all you will do is copy and paste, many folks will overshadow, some have more SEO than each other. But the fact still remains that making it in a blog requires you setting your piorities right,

Thank you
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by checkolatunji: 7:32am On Feb 24, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

All Blogs Are Websites But Not All Websites Are Blogs.

A Website is just a place on the Internet , eg Forums, Blogs, E-commerce sites, Portals are all websites. Blogs on the other hand are websites that arrange their posts chronologically.

Thanks alot

Do you have anyone in Lagos that can help me to build one?
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:33am On Feb 24, 2017
AutoReportNG:
Good topic..

But one thing I noticed about all these write ups is that they dont really explain the reality, I see this as too abstract. I took time to study LIB and BellaNaija, what makes them succed is that they create a niche for themselves and make the rules,

I don't think so.. I think it's because they started before other blogs . With the competition in the Nigerian blogosphere now. If Linda or BellaNaija started now, it would certainly take a very long time for them to even get noticed.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:34am On Feb 24, 2017
checkolatunji:

Thanks alot

Do you have anyone in Lagos that can help me to build one?

I think so.. Send Me an email with your Whatsapp number. Naijatechguy@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by AutoReportNG: 7:41am On Feb 24, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

I don't think so.. I think it's because they started before other blogs . With the competition in the Nigerian blogosphere now. If Linda or BellaNaija started now, it would certainly take a very long time for them to even get noticed.

Accepted... but the fact still remains that entertainment blogs are too jampacked, everybody copied and paste, I was doing a research with my friend last year, we found out that there were about 3 million entertainment blogs in Nigeria alone... 93% of them do copy and paste.
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by talkeverytime: 7:41am On Feb 24, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
yes
Okay, thanks. Can I ask one more thing sir?

here's my blog www.talkeverytime..com . Do you think it'll qualify if I apply now?
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by checkolatunji: 8:06am On Feb 24, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

I think so.. Send Me an email with your Whatsapp number. Naijatechguy@gmail.com

Thanks alot

I just sent you an email
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by Nobody: 8:15am On Feb 24, 2017
Ok
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by bullabong(m): 8:16am On Feb 24, 2017
Good topic
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by Thepasserby(m): 8:19am On Feb 24, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

...and someone finally spoke the truth. Naija bloggers can lie. Only a Nigerian blogger will tell you that you can make money out of blogging overnight. Nice one OP.
Re: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Becoming A Full-time Blogger by RexEmmyGee: 8:39am On Feb 24, 2017
checkolatunji:

Good one

I think you'll find this useful.

https://www.nairaland.com/3647436/difference-between-blog-website

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Write Blog Posts That Increases Your Adsense Earnings / Cheap .com Domain Name For N4,000/yr - Save Money On Your Domains / Does Absence Reject Blogs With Multiple Nichie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.