Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State (40604 Views)

Urgent Information Needed From Serving Corps Members / The Best Investment You Can Invest In As A Corper From Serving Corper. / 10 Lessons From Serving (NYSC) In Osun: I Will Miss The State Of Osun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by cejaypriesty(m): 11:23am On Feb 24, 2017
kabrud:

Yeah, it's a national issue but why do they bleat when similar reports from the North hits headlines?
Yea it's because those from the north do not have regard for Western education. I grew up in the north and I know exactly what am saying.

4 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Nobody: 11:24am On Feb 24, 2017
Served in oyo state...
Somewhere in Orire.after service,myself and four hausa corpers posted der, left our properties for dem...they were really nice

Modifies:cc Joevics
Things has change,it was kinda difficult to do for last batch..but keep in touch,dont knw how this year own will be,i'll contact some people to knw hw far

5 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by enigma2007(m): 11:25am On Feb 24, 2017
Good one! Funniest part.. Enugu is my next port of call (wedding things) and i will try that Okpa...I love good food.

Please! make una help with places i can visit...I am the outdoor-climb-that-hill-or-swim-in-that-river-kinda-person. e.g. Historic sites etc.

On tribalism, God will deliver our e-warriors!

4 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by mmsen: 11:25am On Feb 24, 2017
diogonwa:
Am igbo currently serving at ogun state and am thoroughly enjoying their hospitality...i do wonder where all the hatred in nairaland is coming from

It's all nonsense.

That's why I laugh at many of the posters here. Igbos and Yorubas are able to get along in real life, no one is killing anyone.

There is no need to create 'Sabon gari' in Lagos, Enugu, Abeokuta, Ibadan, Nnewi or Port Harcourt. It's only in the north where they have to do such.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by AlbusDumbledore: 11:26am On Feb 24, 2017
newyorks:
well said bt u just mention ab delapidated state of sec.sch is enugu....i will get back to u on that.

op u forgot to tell the world that 042 niggas are smart,u can't scam them especially abakpa nike,obiagu,uwani,garriki,coal camp all to mention though...

042 is one of the peaceful states to be because of its high profile no of civil servants,everybody minds its business.
I agree. Very peaceful state. I might just relocate there after making my enough money to aid relaxation
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by slam7000(m): 11:27am On Feb 24, 2017
LAFO:
For using 'flat heads and afonja' you are a tribal bigot.

Calm down. Not all those who use those terms are bigots. The Afonja op is no bigot. I'm a proud Igbo and if I meet the op, I'd buy him more okpa and coke.

22 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by enigma2007(m): 11:28am On Feb 24, 2017
winterfell007:
Truth be told, it's only nairaland ewarriors that full of hate. Real igbos don't behave like that. They will good and bad people in every ethnic group. No ethnic group is entirely good or bad people. It's just people perception. I have yoruba hausa and igbo friends.

Exactly! there will always be the good and the bad everywhere.. No one tribe is perfect and frankly speaking.. I do not even care where you are from as long as we can be friends!

4 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by AlbusDumbledore: 11:30am On Feb 24, 2017
kabrud:

Yeah, it's a national issue but why do they bleat when similar reports from the North hits headlines?
because that's what we do best as Nigerians-we compete in everything; both in positives and negatives. It 's a good trait if it can be properly channeled
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by newyorks(m): 11:31am On Feb 24, 2017
AlbusDumbledore:

I agree. Very peaceful state. I might just relocate there after making my enough money to aid relaxation
u're always welcomed infact one of my prayer point is to obtain atleast a plot at gra/presidential bt its on the high side.Lolz
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by engrchykae(m): 11:31am On Feb 24, 2017
Chhhooo:
This post is what we need in the Southern part of Nigeria. There is no LOVE lost between Igbos and Yorubas. All things being equal these two group of people adore each other. Do not believe some things you read in the tabloids. My best friends anywhere have always been Yorubas, and I have never lived in the West.
if nigeria must progress,southern youths especially ibos and yorubas must wake up the youths from the north,then form a new political movement that will carry nigerian youths along,dethrone religion and ethnicity from the throne and enthrone nationalism,merit and expertise,throw abuja feeding bottle and pick up our tools and skills for self sufficiency.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Kene1245(m): 11:31am On Feb 24, 2017
I disagree with you on NO COMPANY/INDUSTRIES IN ENUGU. 1) We have the biggest, most modernized and Beautiful Nigerian Brewery, and it is the best all over west Africa. 2). Innoson plastic company 3) ANAMCO, HONDA, NISSAN and other car assembly plants in Emene. 4) ALUMINIUM manufacturing plants in Emene. 5)Fr Mbaka cleaniest and international pure water and juice company that has employed majority of Enugu youths. And lots more small firms . So next time make research wells.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Ugosample(m): 11:33am On Feb 24, 2017
cejaypriesty:

Yea it's because those from the north do not have regard for Western education. I grew up in the north and I know exactly what am saying.

But I wonder why some of them up there don't value "western" education......
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by chidekings(m): 11:34am On Feb 24, 2017
EmoBoy:
I've never seen anybody who stayed in Enugu and didn't enjoy the state. Especially for guys.

Enugu has some downsides though - For example, Enugu has no nightlife, after eight o'clock everybody don go sleep. Also, Sundays in Enugu can be boring as hell because Enugu people try to be more catholic than the pope.

Asides that Enugu is a nice place and probably the best place in the south east.

Look at what this young man is saying, that ur not a night crawler does not mean that others don't enjoy night life in enugu.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by cejaypriesty(m): 11:37am On Feb 24, 2017
My university days was in Enugu and I can tell you I have only good things to say about that state. I believe one day I will buy my own house there, what are wonderful place.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Glowriee: 11:39am On Feb 24, 2017
Reading this makes me miss Enugu......lol
Well said bro
Except you didn't add cheap transportation,less traffic(unlike lagos where you have to leave home early to beat traffic).As early as 6am, you can literally count the number of vehicles on the road.
Water is really a big problem in Enugu. I stayed in 82 division during my service. I developed biceps carrying buckets of water from long distances.

Enugu's okpa is heavenly. And also thier beans and roasted plaintain. grin grin

10 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Agili: 11:40am On Feb 24, 2017
Op. This is warm welcome post. The best thing for this country is for Igbos and Yorubas to unite around our strenghts and laugh off our weaknesses.

I wish you posted this while serving; you may have tried a few factories in Enugu:

Amah Breweries NB, many aluminium mnufacturing plants; EastChase, Asaba Al, etc. You may have to work with small sole enterprenuership based businesses more than the government or corporate ones which are generally lacking in the East

5 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by EmoBoy(m): 11:42am On Feb 24, 2017
chidekings:

Look at what this young man is saying, that ur not a night crawler does not mean that others don't enjoy night life in enugu.

I know wetin I dey talk. Enugu has no night life.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Nobody: 11:42am On Feb 24, 2017
chiefolododo:
An ENGLISH LANG. TEACHER USING IGBO TO TEACH . KUDOS TO HIM/HER

This is not a new thing in Nigeria, even lecturers do that sometimes though it is rare
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by MysticalTee(m): 11:42am On Feb 24, 2017
I can relate with all these Op. Was a Batch B 2010 corper and I served in a Secondary school in Udi, Udi LGA.

Water has you righlty pointed was a big issue then. We had a tanker which supplied the corper's lodge at about a weekly basis, depending on our financial status.

Unfortunately, the schools are as you said. Most public (and even some private) schools are run with youth corpers. This as we all know have adverse effects on the academic standards of the students.

I never experienced tribalism throughout my stay. Having lived in almost all our geopolitical zones in Nigeria, I wonder where some of us get the tribal hatred which we so display on social media nowadays.

Okpa o Okpa, what a life saver it was coupled with my coke grin

Udi LGA has a handful of industries though. With the likes of Coca-Cola, Nigerian Breweries, Pepsi, Guinness, Aqua-Rapha and some more, most of which are located in 9th Mile.

However, power supply was the best gift I think I had back then. It was so steady that whenever it was disrupted, we usually counted down in minutes and it's restored.

I still miss teaching the students and I'll love to go back in the nearest future, hoping to see much more development.

I don't know about the babes some are citing ooo lipsrsealed grin

6 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by kabrud: 11:43am On Feb 24, 2017
melejo:
Oga madam, there is no how you will compare the east with the north in academics. Have you been to the north before? I served in the North. Going by what Op wrote comparing East and North in education is like comparing England with Niger republic in Queens English

U mean teaching English with Igbo in a secondary school? What is d difference?
Let me tell you, I served in the east also. A science class (ss3) of 64 students, no one, I mean, not even one could state any of the Newton's laws of motion.
I repeat, what's the difference?

On public exams results, we know how the roll with miracle centres. Abeg leave mata jawe.
See signboard in a place comparable with England

1 Like

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by eDeity: 11:44am On Feb 24, 2017
What's his name again? Femi he taught me English in Ss2 2012,after he proceeded to unn for his masters and was given First Class. Egbo has refused to leave my village oo. In fact he has relocated to the inner part of the villa, even the last time I visit December 2016 holiday I saw him. He has fallen in love with my he doesn't want to leave again grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by gnykelly(m): 11:45am On Feb 24, 2017
yeah I can relate with number 4. tribalism is most common among educated folks and those who came to Lagos at a later stage in life they felt left out. but t they are just human like us.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by arosunshine(m): 11:47am On Feb 24, 2017
trueconscience:
I did serve in Enugu too, in the village of Eha Amufu in Isi uzo local government.

You didnt mention the 'sweet and spicy jackie meat" did you? I f you dont want to 'mistakenly eat jackie meat, always opt for FISH - can we have fake fish?

NB: Jackie is donkey meat!

bro thats my hometown, ama-ede to be precise.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by eDeity: 11:48am On Feb 24, 2017
kabrud:

U mean teaching English with Igbo in a secondary school? What is d difference?
Let me tell you, I served in the east also. A science class (ss3) of 64 students, no one, I mean, not even one could state any of the Newton's laws of motion.
I repeat, what's the difference?

On public exams results, we know how the roll with miracle centres. Abeg leave mata jawe.
See signboard in a place comparable with England

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by gnykelly(m): 11:52am On Feb 24, 2017
enigma2007:
Good one! Funniest part.. Enugu is my next port of call (wedding things) and i will try that Okpa...I love good food.

Please! make una help with places i can visit...I am the outdoor-climb-that-hill-or-swim-in-that-river-kinda-person. e.g. Historic sites etc.

I'm serving in Ebonyi. I do intentionally travel to Enugu for night transport to Lagos. the okpa is incredible. there's enough palm oil. you can't regret it.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by fujirice: 11:53am On Feb 24, 2017
diogonwa:
Am igbo currently serving at ogun state and am thoroughly enjoying their hospitality...i do wonder where all the hatred in nairaland is coming from
Politics!
Nothing but politics brings and widens the divide.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Whynotthetruth(m): 11:54am On Feb 24, 2017
enigma2007:

I enjoyed visiting Enugu and climbing Milliken hill around coal camp or so...

1 Like

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Roseey0(f): 11:54am On Feb 24, 2017
agrovick:
We kindly await the dolts who will come and tell us NYSC is a waste of time.
That was the comment I was looking for

NYSC was a plus for me.
If not for boko haram, I was really looking forward to experiencing the north.
I eventually got posted to the west and it was a refreshing experience.

Long live NYSC
God bless whoever came up with the idea.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by winterfell007(m): 11:55am On Feb 24, 2017
enigma2007:

Exactly! there will always be the good and the bad everywhere.. No one tribe is perfect and frankly speaking.. I do not even care where you are from as long as we can be friends!

Exactly that's d reason why I just laugh when Igbos call yorubas 'of nmanu' or 'afonja' or yorubas call us 'Igbos and flatinoes'. It's all semantics to me. It's doesn't change the u still meet good people across board

2 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by AlbusDumbledore: 11:55am On Feb 24, 2017
BabaCommander:
You only noticed these because you are emotionally intelligent.
The average Igbo man does not care where you are from, he sees you as an individual and will relate with you more closely than his blood brother if you are resourceful and goal-driven. Igbos are jovial people and can make fun of themselves in failure or success.
Igbos abhors laziness and failure.

walai I agree with you sir
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by kabrud: 11:56am On Feb 24, 2017
[quote author=eDeity post=54013657][/quote]

Pls where exactly is this man from?

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Mowrites: 11:56am On Feb 24, 2017
Mheen, Enugu is cool but if you served in a place like Uzo uwani local government you will know that aye pe meji.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kebbi Corper Slumps & Dies While Watching Football At Orientation Camp / What are the effects of missing NYSC Clearance For A Month? / Re: Corper Attacks Another Corper With Weapon In Ondo – See True Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.