Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,309 members, 7,780,730 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:56 PM

6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State - NYSC (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State (40422 Views)

Urgent Information Needed From Serving Corps Members / The Best Investment You Can Invest In As A Corper From Serving Corper. / 10 Lessons From Serving (NYSC) In Osun: I Will Miss The State Of Osun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Ifesinachi22(m): 4:33pm On Feb 24, 2017
Baroba:
Coal city ebe azia, got so much love for my people.. Nice write up OP, the average Nigerian is actually friendly, that's why I consider all these name calling on NL insignificant..

Once am done with medical practice in UK, na to open clinic retire for 042, the serenity and peaceful atmosphere of that city is unmatched in Nigeria..

042 is good no doubt but your in UK and thinking of coming back to Nigeria to do what?

Bro no vex abeg, make we trade places nah.
Na beg i dey beg.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by DaPuncline: 4:50pm On Feb 24, 2017
Nofuckgiven:
OP you try! More ink to your pen! grin grin grin
Igbos generally hate lazy people no matter the tribe you are from. I especially can't stand laziness both mentally and physically.
The only Yoruba state that is almost industrious as the Igbo's are the Ekiti people. No wonder they are the only yorubas I can call friend!
Like their governor,Fayose,the dullard slayer grin wink cheesycheesy cheesy
You've brought ur PDP sentiment here. So how developed is ekiti ? And how many industries are there ? You know next to nothing about the yorubas.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Reggie2(m): 4:57pm On Feb 24, 2017
ba7man:
I agree with the op.

I went to the east on the "defensive" but started making friends right from the airport each time I go.

Lots of pretty girls and they seem to love mini skirts and dresses a lot.

Everyone was eager to give me information on my location and its history.

The people actively play their part in the development of their cities but their Govt seem to lag behind, hence lots of nice buildings in undeveloped areas......just waiting to be tarred to change the whole environment.

I kept meeting people that told me to hit them up on my return so that they can show me how to have a good time.

I surely look forward to going back soon for a longer period and will take pics and keep updates on my stay there.

I wonder where the bigoted Igbos on this forum come from, they must be the keke napep drivers and shop attendants that aren't happy with their lives, hence resort to bigotry to feel better.

Thank goodness I always meet cool igbo folks whenever I go.

I wonder where the bigoted Igbos on this forum come from, they must be the keke napep drivers and shop attendants that aren't happy with their lives, hence resort to bigotry to feel better.

While commending the OP for the right mindset on his write up, which in my humble opinion is what we need for the youth in Nigeria, it is also good to educate those who wonder about bigotry but[b]NOT[/b] to justify it. Going back to history will spoil this beautiful post which everyone is enjoying. The Nigerian youth should be as balanced as op to unveil the reasons why some people are lamenting or exhibit ethnic tendencies. It will take a mind like the op's to arrive at a balanced judgement.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by kechywillz(m): 5:26pm On Feb 24, 2017
I see cool
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by maradelkitchen(f): 5:40pm On Feb 24, 2017
@OP,Enugu is really a nice place to be,but what I don't understand is why most of them dislike Hausa,I'm currently based here(Yoruba muslim,using hijab),the moment you are sighted with hijab,you are tagged onye Hausa and would fine means of castigating you.besides that they are lovely people,my love for them made me name my daughter Chioma,so they call me mama Chioma

2 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by malachytochukwu(m): 5:42pm On Feb 24, 2017
kabrud:
@ no.6, thought they are the most educated and education-loving Nigerians. Schools grossly understaffed?
Lol @ teaching English with Igbo, exactly the noise they make about the north, choi.
Thats in one government secondary school bro....most people send their children to private schools. .....besides where I served here in PH science students go for years without physics ,chemistry and or maths teacher.....government schools are pathetic in most states of the federation.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by malachytochukwu(m): 5:42pm On Feb 24, 2017
kabrud:
@ no.6, thought they are the most educated and education-loving Nigerians. Schools grossly understaffed?
Lol @ teaching English with Igbo, exactly the noise they make about the north, choi.
Thats in one government secondary school bro....most people send their children to private schools. .....besides where I served here in PH science students go for years without physics ,chemistry and or maths teachers....government schools are pathetic in most states of the federation.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by diogonwa(f): 5:52pm On Feb 24, 2017
Lanceslot:
Which part of Ogun are you serving?
Ibafo
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by cstr100: 6:11pm On Feb 24, 2017
ba7man:
I agree with the op.

I went to the east on the "defensive" but started making friends right from the airport each time I go.

Lots of pretty girls and they seem to love mini skirts and dresses a lot.

Everyone was eager to give me information on my location and its history.

The people actively play their part in the development of their cities but their Govt seem to lag behind, hence lots of nice buildings in undeveloped areas......just waiting to be tarred to change the whole environment.

I kept meeting people that told me to hit them up on my return so that they can show me how to have a good time.

I surely look forward to going back soon for a longer period and will take pics and keep updates on my stay there.

Thank goodness I always meet cool igbo folks whenever I go.
Igbos are the bigots while afonjas are innocent?. Clap for yourself young man. What a detribalized Nigerian you are.
You have just been exposed to superior civilization and yet you still wonder why sane igbos want out of that shitty country.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Nofuckgiven: 7:26pm On Feb 24, 2017
DaPuncline:

You've brought ur PDP sentiment here. So how developed is ekiti ? And how many industries are there ? You know next to nothing about the yorubas.
Excuse me! I don't know anything about PDP or APC. I rather judge people by their character not party or any affiliation. I speak from my own personal experience and its non of your business.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Memyselfu2009(m): 7:47pm On Feb 24, 2017
I SERVED AT ABIA UMU-NNEOCHI LOCAL GOVT IN ISUOCHI SAME EXPERIENCE BRO. EDUCATION, HEALTH CARE PORTABLE WATER ZERO ELECTROCITY NO GO AREA BUT THE INDIGENCE ARE ACCOMMODATING.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Icon79(m): 7:57pm On Feb 24, 2017
One thing I learned from living in Enugu for a while:

1. Enugu is arguably the MOST beautiful city in Nigeria. As we were driving through parts of Trans-Ekulu Layout Enugu a few months ago, I almost thought that we're back in West Palm Beach, FL. Yes, Enugu is that beautiful!

O pari

1 Like

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by elsomm(m): 7:57pm On Feb 24, 2017
Michaelpresh:

still can't forget eating OKPa and coc for breakfast, Yummy grin

Bro try okpa with custard or akamu mixed with tin milk (liquid milk) and you will remain useless for rest of the day.

By useless I mean you will love your bed and your bed will love you too. Na so so sleep and lazing about you will do.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by elsomm(m): 8:02pm On Feb 24, 2017
enigma2007:
Good one! Funniest part.. Enugu is my next port of call (wedding things) and i will try that Okpa...I love good food.

Please! make una help with places i can visit...I am the outdoor-climb-that-hill-or-swim-in-that-river-kinda-person. e.g. Historic sites etc.

On tribalism, God will deliver our e-warriors!

Combine the okpa with custard and plenty liquid milk.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by ugofr(f): 8:07pm On Feb 24, 2017
enigma2007:
Good one! Funniest part.. Enugu is my next port of call (wedding things) and i will try that Okpa...I love good food.

Please! make una help with places i can visit...I am the outdoor-climb-that-hill-or-swim-in-that-river-kinda-person. e.g. Historic sites etc.

On tribalism, God will deliver our e-warriors!
Visit mmaku or mgbidi in awgu local government to climb hills, the coal mine at ngwo, enjoy good ogene music at toscana or call me if u need guide.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by ba7man(m): 8:08pm On Feb 24, 2017
cstr100:

Igbos are the bigots while afonjas are innocent?. Clap for yourself young man. What a detribalized Nigerian you are.
You have just been exposed to superior civilization and yet you still wonder why sane igbos want out of that shitty country.
Here's one of the frustrated keke napep riders I was talking about. cheesy
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Lanceslot(m): 8:18pm On Feb 24, 2017
diogonwa:
Ibafo
Ok ibafo is a cool area.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by clevadani: 8:21pm On Feb 24, 2017
Shout out to Igbos. The most hardworking tribe in Nigeria.
I am not Igbo but my best friends are Igbos. They are the best.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by BLoomfrancs(m): 8:23pm On Feb 24, 2017
Kene1245:
I disagree with you on NO COMPANY/INDUSTRIES IN ENUGU. 1) We have the biggest, most modernized and Beautiful Nigerian Brewery, and it is the best all over west Africa. 2). Innoson plastic company 3) ANAMCO, HONDA, NISSAN and other car assembly plants in Emene. 4) ALUMINIUM manufacturing plants in Emene. 5)Fr Mbaka cleaniest and international pure water and juice company that has employed majority of Enugu youths. And lots more small firms . So next time make research wells.

We need more.
love my state 0 to the 4 to the 2 till I die.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by elsomm(m): 8:28pm On Feb 24, 2017
DSoj:
So dissecting a phone is now "Industrious". Hahahahahhaahahahaha.

Anyway, all the hostility either on the side of Yoruba or Igbo's side only exists on social media. A faceless platform. U don't need to go to the East or West to know.
Go to Yaba, go to ibadan, U will see people living peacefully, only the dumbos on social media make it look otherwise.

Lol...what do you understand by 'industrious'?

It doesn't mean running industries but being hardworking. Never lazy. Doing any good thing your hand findeth with great zeal.

So 'dissecting' phones in this context is definitely being industrious.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by FrankFrenzy(m): 8:29pm On Feb 24, 2017
Enugu is so cool
I also served there #IMT
There's life and the city is lively.
So much fun and exciting activities.
Just a stroll to Shoprite @Polo Mall or Toscana
Or oaklands among others and you will see celebrities and actors / actresses hovering
One of the best urban transport systems
Can't imagine paying #20 for a drop
Or #30 with coal city branded buses
Plying from Garki to Holy Ghost
The only problem like you said is potable water, however it's among few states with effective pipe borne water systems that WORKS. Good Road, Night life, security, very functional Street light, working Traffic lighting system, steady power supply.
Can't forget Saturday fitness sessions as Okpara square, seeing Rangers fc play @ the always lively Nnamdi Azikiwe stadium. As at when I served in 2013, was the joint best paying NYSC state.

.........I have to stop now.
Much love Coal city
I love 042

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Michaelpresh(m): 8:40pm On Feb 24, 2017
elsomm:

Bro try okpa with custard or akamu mixed with tin milk (liquid milk) and you will remain useless for rest of the day.

By useless I mean you will love your bed and your bed will love you too. Na so so sleep and lazing about you will do.

cheesy
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Michaelpresh(m): 8:41pm On Feb 24, 2017
elsomm:

grin
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by DaPuncline: 8:42pm On Feb 24, 2017
Nofuckgiven:

Excuse me! I don't know anything about PDP or APC. I rather judge people by their character not party or any affiliation. I speak from my own personal experience and its non of your business.
So what sort of awkard experience made you believe ekiti are the most industrious in SW. You need a brain check.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Nofuckgiven: 8:45pm On Feb 24, 2017
DaPuncline:

So what sort of awkard experience made you believe ekiti are the most industrious in SW. You need a brain check.
You need a slap reset! Is it your experience? Mind your yeye business ogbeni! undecided
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by DaPuncline: 9:02pm On Feb 24, 2017
Nofuckgiven:

You need a slap reset! Is it your experience? Mind your yeye business ogbeni! undecided
Mumu I'am from ekiti state. You can't just open the four cardinal point of ur mouth and spew rubbish and you would expect me to clap for you. Still proud of my state though.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Vikky014(f): 9:10pm On Feb 24, 2017
lekbel09:
The bitter truth is that only jobless nairalanders engage in tribal war,am a yoruba guy,I served in anambra and I must confess igbos are really nice guys and very industrious made lot of friends there we still keep in touch till 2moro, nothing like Igbo or afonja. Nairalanders should stop fuelling hate on nairaland its just plain stupid
exactly. it is only here dt i see the tribalism in naija
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by anaton(m): 9:20pm On Feb 24, 2017
Op you forgot to add that they love their Biafra very much.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Nofuckgiven: 9:33pm On Feb 24, 2017
DaPuncline:

Mumu I'am from ekiti state. You can't just open the four cardinal point of ur mouth and spew rubbish and you would expect me to clap for you. Still proud of my state though.
You are not from Ekiti! Shatap! Yeye stop denying your own state!
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by chris31(m): 9:39pm On Feb 24, 2017
KanayoZeus:

I was born there, 27th Richard street, asata......

If I become resourcefl, I must have a house in Enugu.

That place is mini london.

there is something about it that makes you become civilized immediately while you step in. Its as akin to dropping all your Nigeria sins and taking on a new mantle once you step into the city
Odi okay
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Nofuckgiven: 3:52am On Feb 25, 2017
DaPuncline:

Your case us beyond repair! Now I see why you and ur folks argue blindly and foolishly. So where I'am from Mr DNA doctor ?
You are very stupid. Are you the only one from there? That is if at all you are. Who we go ask??
Keep quoting like a fool!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Rectify A Wrong Date Of Birth On WAEC Certificate? / Corper Azeez Shittu Olalekan Missing In Jigawa After Their Bus Was Robbed / Mohammed Jammal: White Nigerian Corper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.