Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State - NYSC (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State (40571 Views)

Urgent Information Needed From Serving Corps Members / The Best Investment You Can Invest In As A Corper From Serving Corper. / 10 Lessons From Serving (NYSC) In Osun: I Will Miss The State Of Osun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by zonax(m): 5:03am On Feb 25, 2017
AlbusDumbledore:
As stream 2 corps members are settling down in their PPA in various states of the federation to serve their fatherland, I would like to use this opportunity to share my experience in the coal city state.

1. IGBOS ARE INDUSRTIOUS: hate them, belittle them, and call them names. It is an undeniable fact that our dear brothers from the east are very industrious and resourceful; from Gariki Market to New Market to Ogbete Market where young men with little or no formal education in mobile phone technology dissect phones with precision and finesse. Impressive stuff! (As Nigerians) in our bid to become a power house in science and technology, we must look towards the East

2. Water is a big problem: As a Lagos born, bred, ‘teaed’ and ‘jamed’ young man; scarcity of water was what adversely affected me the most. Pipe-borne water is arguably the cheapest thing in Lagos (?) where a 25 litres keg goes for as little as #10. In some places in Enugu, the same 25 litres keg goes for as much as #50. I served and lived inside the Military Barrack (103 battalion of the gallant, noble and professional Nigerian Army), corps members suffered a lot of hardship during the dry season, as the price of water is usually jacked up by those that sell inside the barrack.

3. Okpa is Enugu’s gift to mankind: the first time I saw Okpa, I was bemused as it looked like an Aba-made version of Moi-moi. (Please stop eating Lagos Okpa it’s a terrible version). I was never a fan until I bought Okpa from a woman in New-Market. Limolalikamalisalikalibo (speaking in tongue). I ate it with a mortuary standard chilled bottle of Coca-Cola. I almost denounced Pounded Yam and Egusi Soup as my favourite food. That Okpa is what the Yorubas call “elemi-meje” (loosely translated as seven lives); it was well garnished with orisirisi kai! Simply for the quality of that Okpa, I might visit Enugu again.

4. Igbos are not the spiteful, Yoruba-hating bigots that NL paints them as: I was scared when my call-up letter reads Enugu. Chineke! Me? An Afonja living among flat-heads. (Tribe-hating Nairalanders your left yanshes o). However, after a couple of weeks among the indigenes, I realized my fears were unfounded. I made many wonderful loyal and kind Igbo friends. I never missed an opportunity to introduce myself as an “onye-ofenmanu”. The laughter that normally accompanied that declaration was hugely and deeply satisfying. We all need to pack a sense of humour in our luggage all the time.

5. There are really NO COMPANIES in Enugu: this is hugely disappointing given the previous status of Enugu as the capital of the old Eastern region and more importantly the capital of Biafra. Unlike neighbouring Anambra state (where I visited and wouldn’t mind marrying from if beauty is the only criterion, those girls are hot! No ugly girl in Anambra. Anambra men, how do you guys remain monogamous) where there are thriving industries. Enugu has no notable company or even serious start-up, hence, corps members hardly elect to stay behind after service. The State Government and rich indigenes need to tap into the abundant and stupendous human resources in the state.

6. There is a lot more to be done in the Education sector: the only part of Enugu that truly disturbed and disappointed me was the public school system. The secondary schools owned by the state government need serious intervention. The problems are just numerous. The teachers are grossly unqualified (a Grade 2 certified teacher teaching SS2), the senior secondary school where I served has only two degree holders. The teachers are uncommitted; rather than go to class, they would remain in the staff room gossiping, transacting or breaking melon seed. The schools are wholly under-staffed. The school where I served had 50 corps members (while I was serving) to cover for the inadequacies. It got so bad that they had to retain two corps members to handle Physics and Further Maths (there is a dearth of science teachers among schools in the state). There was a case of an English teacher teaching English using Igbo language. Finally, examination mal-practice has been institutionalised without exception. Candidates with the connivance of invigilating teachers pay visiting supervisors who turn blind eye while they indulge in exam malpractice.

042, HOME LIKE NO OTHER

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by zonax(m): 5:05am On Feb 25, 2017
newyorks:
well said bt u just mention ab delapidated state of sec.sch is enugu....i will get back to u on that.

op u forgot to tell the world that 042 niggas are smart,u can't scam them especially abakpa nike,obiagu,uwani,garriki,coal camp all to mention though...

042 is one of the peaceful states to be because of its high profile no of civil servants,everybody minds its business.

Lol
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by DaPuncline: 7:38am On Feb 25, 2017
Nofuckgiven:

You are very stupid. Are you the only one from there? That is if at all you are. Who we go ask??
Keep quoting like a fool!
Infact your stupidity is legendary! Only an extremely stupid entity would just open his mouth to say smth without facts or figures and expect people to just clap for him. Keep wallowing in your pool of stupidity and foolishness. Mumu.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Nofuckgiven: 8:23am On Feb 25, 2017
DaPuncline:

Infact your stupidity is legendary! Only an extremely stupid entity would just open his mouth to say smth without facts or figures and expect people to just clap for him. Keep wallowing in your pool of stupidity and foolishness. Mumu.
And he eventually showed his foolishness again. So gullible!! Useless bastard.

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by DaPuncline: 10:27am On Feb 25, 2017
Nofuckgiven:

And he eventually showed his foolishness again. So gullible!! Useless bastard.
So gullible ? How ? What is gullibility has to do with this argument. I'll advise you learn proper use of words! You've never been to ekiti state not to talk of the whole SW and you are here saying ekitis are the most industrious coz of party affiliation. You need to undergo a LOBOTOMY coz you are obviously mentally deranged. Were.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Nofuckgiven: 10:29am On Feb 25, 2017
DaPuncline:

So gullible ? How ? What is gullibility has to do with this argument. I'll advise you learn proper use of words! You've never been to ekiti state not to talk of the whole SW and you are here saying ekitis are the most industrious coz of party affiliation. You need to undergo a LOBOTOMY coz you are obviously mentally deranged. Were.
Keep on playing the party affiliation card. Na APC or PDP go put food for my table? I no be zombie like you. You talk like a retard!
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by DaPuncline: 10:32am On Feb 25, 2017
Nofuckgiven:

Keep on playing the party affiliation card. Na APC or PDP go put food for my table? I no be zombie like you. You talk like a retard!
Party affiliation and sentiments aside. Givr me facts to justify your claims that ekitis are the most industrious in SW.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Nofuckgiven: 10:35am On Feb 25, 2017
DaPuncline:

Party affiliation and sentiments aside. Givr me facts to justify your claims that ekitis are the most industrious in SW.
Oga I am not jobless like you. Quote me again cos this is the last time I would quote you back.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by enigma2007(m): 1:11pm On Feb 25, 2017
ugofr:
Visit mmaku or mgbidi in awgu local government to climb hills, the coal mine at ngwo, enjoy good ogene music at toscana or call me if u need guide.

Thanks Sis! Will def keep you in mind!
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by amagugm: 7:52pm On Feb 25, 2017
I live in Enugu and really love rhe xity. The road network is pleasant. Hardly do you encounter potholes on the roads. The one downside for me is rhe numerous police checkpoints in rhe xity. They just pop up anywhere they deem fit. I travelled from Enugu to Maiduguri 2 weeks ago. The moment we crossed Enugu state no moee police stops until we entered the North East with military checkpoints. I wish the Governor addresses that.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by prela(f): 5:54pm On Mar 28, 2017
Boboforthegirls:
U forgot to talk about their beautiful girls with sweet camel toe... Igbos save me afonjas are coming

pls which tribe are the Igbos again
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by CriticMaestro: 8:33pm On Mar 28, 2017
AlbusDumbledore:
As stream 2 corps members are settling down in their PPA in various states of the federation to serve their fatherland, I would like to use this opportunity to share my experience in the coal city state.

1. at sell inside the barrack.

how much do they pay? grin
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Nobody: 8:12am On Mar 30, 2017
PROMO! PROMO!! PROMO!!!
I am a blogger and an information marketer, come and learn directly from me over 20 lucrative online businesses that can make you a millionaire in few months, My ebook is available NOW. Come and have one for yourself or book a one On one meeting with me before my promo ends. Click on the website address under this my post for instant access. Also you can call 08141539562 for more info. Take this step today and change your financial status
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by AlbusDumbledore: 2:30pm On Apr 11, 2017
CriticMaestro:

how much do they pay? grin
They were paying 10k before. But now 1k for those serving in the cities and 2k for the villagers. Cheers
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 14, 2017
Lol ...Igbos & afonjas kissing & making up. Whoever invented those names Igbos & Afonja..I hail NL oo
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by noziz(m): 9:51pm On Apr 14, 2017
Benjom:
Experience matters

Just concluded your NYSC or about to? Use this catchy CV Template to construct your new CV:
www..com/ms-word-editable-cv-format

This MS Word Editable CV Format Download or Template will, among other benefits, allow you to:
* Easily edit and input the content of your old CV into the new format.
* Use excellent page layout with the right spacing and standard font.
* Create, extend, re-arrange or remove sections effortlessly.
* View your CV on any platform (smartphones, tablets, desktops, laptops, etc) without any form of disorientation.

hook me up on peter.idehen2016@gmail.com i want to ask u something privately
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Nobody: 5:21pm On Apr 15, 2017
That you can mention those number of industries/factories doesn't change the fact that there are no industries in Enugu.

Perhaps you should try and understand that "no" in this context doesn't mean zero.

I know about every nuke and cranny of Enugu, a super Lion for that matter. THERE ARE NO INDUSTRIES IN ENUGU.

Kene1245:
I disagree with you on NO COMPANY/INDUSTRIES IN ENUGU. 1) We have the biggest, most modernized and Beautiful Nigerian Brewery, and it is the best all over west Africa. 2). Innoson plastic company 3) ANAMCO, HONDA, NISSAN and other car assembly plants in Emene. 4) ALUMINIUM manufacturing plants in Emene. 5)Fr Mbaka cleaniest and international pure water and juice company that has employed majority of Enugu youths. And lots more small firms . So next time make research wells.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Nobody: 2:01pm On Apr 16, 2017
Ibo igbo
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by slimbless(f): 2:51pm On Oct 25, 2017
Pls how much is the current allawee for Enugu State.
Thanks
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Dedoo(f): 12:29pm On Oct 27, 2017
NYSC ONLINE REGISTRATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ABUJA BASED PROSPECTIVE CORP MEMBERS FALL IN!
WE ARE AT SUITE 009-011 THE KINGS PLAZA.
OPPOSITE NAF CONFERENCE CENTRE AND SUITES,
ALONG BANNEX-KADO EXPRESS WAY. FCT ABUJA
(3 MINUTES DRIVE FROM NEXT CASH AND CARRY)
CALL: 09099999859

Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by DrewMX(m): 5:11pm On Oct 27, 2017
slimbless:
Pls how much is the current allawee for Enugu State.
Thanks
1k (minus N200 bank charges) for corpers posted to the urban areas-Enugu North & South, and 4k for those posted to rural areas.
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by Arrahman39: 8:20am On Oct 29, 2017
Pls how is cost of living in anambra?
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by bolakale30(m): 10:19am On Mar 12
This is still here... wow! @Seun take it to frontpage nau... @LALASTICLALALA
Re: 6 Things I Learnt From Serving In Enugu State by JobZoneNews(m): 5:08pm On Mar 12
Thanks for sharing your experience. I want smart Enugu once for the MAN annual conference.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Mohammed Jammal: White Nigerian Corper / Corper Proposes To His Colleague At Ogun NYSC Camp (Video) / What are the effects of missing NYSC Clearance For A Month?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.