Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Self Employment Or O & G Job - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Self Employment Or O & G Job (11234 Views)

Say No To Salary Job Embrace Self Employment / 11 Simple Steps to Self Employment / Self Employment Prospects Of A Network Engineer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by Nobody: 8:55am On Feb 26, 2017
Bumbae1:

But its just 80k can't survive on that ..
But iget what you mean at least its still a job .. starting business with no clue .. Not the way.. she can loose it all
Ah 80k. I thought it was something more interesting. Ok O
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by Nobody: 8:57am On Feb 26, 2017
BUTCHCASSIDY:

Ah 80k. I thought it was something more interesting. Ok O

grin was like well damn oil n gas
Maybe she meant 800,000k or 80 milla cuz .... the pay pretty weak
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by Nobody: 8:58am On Feb 26, 2017
Bumbae1:

grin was like well damn oil n gas
Maybe she meant 800,000k or 80 milla cuz .... the pay pretty weak
yeah 90k is weak for O&G work. 800k is more like it
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by Nobody: 9:01am On Feb 26, 2017
BUTCHCASSIDY:

yeah 90k is weak for O&G work. 800k is more like it

Lol just clocked , cleaners, admin,receptionist etc work in oil and gas company too ! So maybe deoends on the job role cause its wayyyyy too low ..
expect that pay from Tantalizers. Or Mr biggs
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by royallord(m): 9:20am On Feb 26, 2017
To be frank, she doesn't have job experience. Her CV is blank. She need experience to put down on her CV. You guys should remember that she is been giving the offer as a fresh graduate.
The writer did not tell us of #100k is her basic salary or basic with other allowances.
As for me, i will tell her to give it a try for 1year. If she didn't like the job, she can leave the hob and go back to her own stuff.

1 Like

Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by adegeye38(m): 9:32am On Feb 26, 2017
iamGraced:
Hello house, my coz needs urgent advice, she has her own business where she sells Computer & Office accessories and she is doing relatively ok & it has potentials, and she was recently offered a job in an upcoming indigenous oil n gas service firm & doesn't know if she should accept or nay...
Few highlights...cons
Job on the island and she stays @ ikotun egbe
Salary between 80-100k
8-6pm
Mon-Fri

Cons...
Administrative/business development position
Maybe lucky to meet better connections...

So if you where in her shoes what would you do? NB-She finished Nysc last yr Nov...
nting beats being self employed and having a viable business, i make that amount she is being offered weekly, from an aspect of my business enterprise

1 Like

Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by willibounce1(m): 9:39am On Feb 26, 2017
Freewoman:

The only advise one can get is the one-one advises him/her self, work out the Maths by your self, while working for your self how much do you make in a month, secondly, how much the company that wanted to employ you is to pay you in a month, compare and come out with the answer yourself, if your business pay better, stay put, if not take the job, don't forget to take other factors into considerations

Very correct. The distance from her home to the island is another problem. Serious stress. Well if she has the power, she can accept the job and still continue her business. At least if business is not moving, salary will help out at the end of the month.
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by tman14(m): 9:42am On Feb 26, 2017
Freewoman:

The only advise one can get is the one-one advises him/her self, work out the Maths by your self, while working for your self how much do you make in a month, secondly, how much the company that wanted to employ you is to pay you in a month, compare and come out with the answer yourself, if your business pay better, stay put, if not take the job, don't forget to take other factors into considerations

An important factor is cost of transportation. This will gulp a chunk of the salary too.
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by baslone: 9:46am On Feb 26, 2017
tolaxin:

She should hire a sales boy/girl to help her manage her business and go ahead and take the job. If a relative is living close to her shop, she can ask them to help her monitor the sales boy/girl activities from time to time.

It's more productive when you put all your eggs in one basket and watch over it. Your business basically turns to make or break for you.

Ain't nothing like a "side business" if you are looking to breakout from what you do. It's either you are here or there! You can't seat on the fence and expect to break even.
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by levi2(m): 10:08am On Feb 26, 2017
hello ,
Please i think i know some of these oil and gas firms and their administrative jobs..you first have to understand that, the oil and gas firm is not an oil firm they go out(send their marketers) to find jobs for the company and hence is not like you will be having other oil firms coming to your office( giving you room to get the main connections you need) . you will more or less just be in the office all day doing secretary kind of job. I think you should think it through very well as the only people who will be having better potentials are the engineers in your office who would be sent out to fields when you guys have jobs, than you who will just be there in the office. the things you will have contact with will be mostly your boss,colleagues and maybe get to take calls.you might only be allowed to privilege information when your boss wants that. but believe me..you might never get those connections that you think you will get..because you will be more like a bank teller.

wish you all the best...
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by imoh070: 10:31am On Feb 26, 2017
She should employ someone and go for the job,she'll get a lot of contacts at her job.
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by golor(m): 10:49am On Feb 26, 2017
Tell her to combine the two....work for the salary, why you employ someone you pay 10 or 15k depending....every Saturday go to your shop and access how it fairing......increase your source of income , don't rely on one.
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by aamstih: 11:20am On Feb 26, 2017
Are you saying rewiring ain't possible?

eezeribe:

For the fact that she opened a business and was still applying for jobs,means that the business was just a last resort and not her passion.
so she should close down the business and go for her 8—6pm job with 80k—100k salary.
That is what her brain is wired for.
People whose paradigms are designed by default to be in the left quadrant,have no business trying to be in the right quadrant because they will one day return to their natural habitat.

If she is still confused on what to do...
She can aswell close the business,reject the job offer and go back to her village and start weeding farms for people.

#My 50 cents.

Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by seangy4konji: 11:24am On Feb 26, 2017
Female engineers rock..you must come from a family of engineers...Your coz ehnLaugh in swahili...

Dont close your shop...

My advice.
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by ggoldmine: 11:30am On Feb 26, 2017
iamGraced:
Hello house, my coz needs urgent advice, she has her own business where she sells Computer & Office accessories and she is doing relatively ok & it has potentials, and she was recently offered a job in an upcoming indigenous oil n gas service firm & doesn't know if she should accept or nay...
Few highlights...cons
Salary between 80-100k
8-6pm
Mon-Fri

Cons...

So if you where in her shoes what would you do? NB-She finished Nysc last yr Nov...

No greater freedom than that of being self employed.

She can employ an honest person to look after the shop while she's off to work.

Nevertheless, No greater freedom than that of being self employed.

1 Like

Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by scachy(m): 11:37am On Feb 26, 2017
iamGraced:
Few highlights...cons
Salary between 80-100k
8-6pm
Mon-Fri

Cons...

Simple and short... She should get a trusted hand to manage her biz, and take up the job. With time, everything will fall in place.

1 Like

Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by Originalsly: 11:54am On Feb 26, 2017
Two words that scatter people's brains when it comes to jobs.....Oil and Gas....upcoming nor service doesn't matter. She has started a business...doing well.... has made lots of connections... overcome the start up mistakes and difficulties... has seen much potential ... business is growing... room for expansion...profit is growing..... her business venture is now paying off but.......how on earth would it make any sense to drop all this time and effort to bring her business to this height only to neglect it to go venture into somebody else's startup business where nothing is guaranteed? Let your cousin inbox me..... I swear I can find her something better to smoke.A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by IBreakRules: 12:33pm On Feb 26, 2017
idris4r83:
Oil n gas baby! she can employ somebody or a trusted relative to run her private business.

nothing like trusted relative bro. They will mess up at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by IBreakRules: 12:35pm On Feb 26, 2017
eezeribe:

For the fact that she opened a business and was still applying for jobs,means that the business was just a last resort and not her passion.
so she should close down the business and go for her 8—6pm job with 80k—100k salary.
People whose paradigms are designed by default to be in the left quadrant,have no business trying to be in the right quadrant because they will one day return to their natural habitat.

She can aswell close the business,reject the job offer and go back to her village and start weeding farms for people.

#My 50 cents.

in my opinion, Best response so far.
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by ayando(m): 12:36pm On Feb 26, 2017
willibounce1:

Very correct. The distance from her home to the island is another problem. Serious stress. Well if she has the power, she can accept the job and still continue her business. At least if business is not moving, salary will help out at the end of the month.
If she doesn't relocate, na stress go kill am. Iyana ipaja is far, let alone ikotun egbe. Damn! It is serious ooo. Experience on the job is good if she can cope.
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by Celsony: 12:48pm On Feb 26, 2017
iamGraced:
Few highlights...cons
Salary between 80-100k
8-6pm
Mon-Fri

Cons...

She should compare & contrast & decide for herself, she can employ some1 to stay in office.

1 Like

Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by psychu: 1:16pm On Feb 26, 2017
The job will drain her and take up all her time. Also at this stage of her business, no one will be able to manage and grow her business like she would.

If she takes that job, she will start complaining after 2 months and you will come again and ask our opinion.

There is nothing fantastic about the offer. You said she is doing OK with her business, why don't you advise her to put in efforts in growing her business more.
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by obicaddy(m): 1:17pm On Feb 26, 2017
Gbam!!
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by Celsony: 1:19pm On Feb 26, 2017
golor:
Tell her to combine the two....work for the salary, why you employ someone you pay 10 or 15k depending....every Saturday go to your shop and access how it fairing......increase your source of income , don't rely on one.

I concur... The best way to make it is to have multiple source of income.
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by CellTabRepairs: 2:35pm On Feb 26, 2017
accountbalance:
1. 80 - 100k per month shouldn't take her away from her self employed gig.

2. I believe she can make that amount or even more on a very good day.

3. Selling IT products is a very lucrative business especially on a large scale

4. The only reason she should consider the island job is if she needs some more money to invest in her business. In other words, she shouldn't close down her shop, put someone that is trustworthy there while you do your day job. Target should be to save money for investment.

Good luck.

Need I say more? If she's unsure of the performance of her business in 5 years, let her do number 4 but with a focus to grow the business through whatever advantage she can get. If she has passion and commitment to the business she better remain and run it.

It is not enough to earn and carry about a certificate! That's phase 1.
Life is about relevance and proffering solutions. Someone right now somewhere is looking for someone who can do something for him/her and get paid! Opportunity Meets with preparation! Is your worth only in that paper certificate even though you hardly have a REAL skill?

Therefore;
While you search for that job and keep waiting (very frustrating), DO NOT WAIT IN PERPETUITY! You might consider investing in knowledge-based skill that has unending returns. EACH DAY , YOUR CAPITAL IS YOUR KNOWLEDGE, SKILL & BARE HANDS! More GUARANTEED than any other cash based investment! With smartphones as the future, YOU CAN NEVER GO BROKE.

coolClick My Name & View That Resource You Need! cool
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by Nobody: 2:48pm On Feb 26, 2017
eezeribe:

#My 50 cents.

Smh
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by Nobody: 3:29pm On Feb 26, 2017
seangy4konji:
Female engineers rock..you must come from a family of engineers...Your coz ehnLaugh in swahili...

Dont close your shop...

My advice.

8 Engrs n counting grin
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by ikcworldlinks(m): 4:19pm On Feb 26, 2017
She should consider the island job to get more money and experience to invest in her business. In other words, she shouldn't close down her shop, put someone that is trustworthy there while you do your day job. Target should be to save money for investment.
And get some experience,build the financial strength of her business which getting the monthly salary will help her to do. The expenses will be less on her business running capital.When the business blosm ,she can resign and face the business squarely.
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by uchris180: 4:21pm On Feb 26, 2017
A TRAINING/JOB OPPORTUNITY.

Job tittle: Public Agent.
Organisation/Affiliates: Life Map Solution Resources (LSR)/WHO, SAB & CDC.
Job Description: Responsible for delivering classified health information to designated localities and organisations.
#TRAINING REQUIRED
Renumeration after training: 200,000/month
Minimum required qualification: Diploma (No specific field required).
Interested persons should send there CV to cuonyekp@mtu.edu
NB: Selected candidates will pay a mandatory WHO certificate fee of 15,000.
Re: Self Employment Or O & G Job by smartkester(m): 4:50pm On Feb 26, 2017
accountbalance:
1. 80 - 100k per month shouldn't take her away from her self employed gig.

2. I believe she can make that amount or even more on a very good day.

3. Selling IT products is a very lucrative business especially on a large scale

4. The only reason she should consider the island job is if she needs some more money to invest in her business. In other words, she shouldn't close down her shop, put someone that is trustworthy there while you do your day job. Target should be to save money for investment.

Good luck.
Nice point

(1) (2) (Reply)

Online Training Or Physical Class Training: Which Is Better? / Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment / What Did You Do With Your Last Salary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.