Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:54 PM

Rites Of Passage - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Rites Of Passage (429 Views)

A Passage / Invitation To A Conference To Mark 50 Years Of The Passage Of Christopher Okig / Passage Writing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rites Of Passage by Odieteshina: 12:34am On Feb 25, 2017
RITES OF PASSAGE... EPISODE ONE
I was awed as i walked through the Delta state university, Abraka campus site iii main gate. I marveled at the site of the beautiful arrangement and colours of the different flowers that lined the drive way and also the beautiful art work that decorated it. I made mental notes to go back there to take some photos when am fully settled into the school daily routine. I remembered having this same feeling the first time i came to the school. That was when i came to write the school qualifying predegree entrance examination. I couldn't believe i made it and now am one of the university's students. I was really impressed by the buildings and lecture halls i passed by as i made my way deep into the school premises.
I cautiously placed one foot ahead of the other and added a little sway to my hips in a bid to change my walking style. I basked in my new found freedom and threw seductive smiles at passing males. I enjoy to see the longing looks in their eyes when ever my smiles captivate them. At those moments, i felt like an enchantress. Often times i had admired myself in front of the mirror and filled my eyes with the wonderful figure that smiles back at me. I had noticed that my girl friends all envy me because of my shape and wished they were me. I have a hot figure eight shape; slim with curvateous hip and well rounded boobs and flat tommy, not to mention my face. With my killer smile; i enchant both the old and the young with the dimples that forms on my cheek and the starry lightening of my eyes when ever i smile.
I saw as many students glanced at me as they horried past me on the walk way. I didnt bother to join the hurry train because i have allocated that day for screening and site seeing.
I was finally free from mum and dad's tight grip at home. They never gave me breathing space and were more holier than the pope himself. The only time i was ever allowed to go out was either for church or school reasons. Most of the time i felt like a caged animal and have been looking forward to this day. Thank God they are far back at home in Lagos. They cant just give me surprised visits any time they like. My mum had insisted i lived together with a room mate and it was a good thing that luck was on my side. I made arrangement with a girl i met during the entrance examination period and she who already had a rented apartment agreed that i could join her. I couldn't have hoped for more, as she also a fresh student like me and can not have any controlling effect in my life. She is studying for a diploma degree and was newly admitted too.
Re: Rites Of Passage by Odieteshina: 12:46am On Feb 25, 2017
This book is written by Odiete Oghenekevwe Shina.
No part of the book should be written, modified or used without my permission.
All rights reserved.
Re: Rites Of Passage by Odieteshina: 12:47am On Feb 25, 2017
RITES OF PASSAGE... EPISODE ONE CONTINUATION

Finally, i was able to locate the faculty of basic medical science. It's appearance alone made a breath taking site. I made enquiries and was directed upstairs to the second floor where the screening excercise was taking place. I saw that a queue had already been formed in front of the department of me medical biology so i joined in. After a while i left the queue to sit on a nearby chair because i was not yet used to my new well styled standing posture, so standing for a long time was proving difficult for me.
I meticulously arranged my clothing and with my legs crossed, i stroke a pose that could have passed out for the picture on the cover of my favorite fashion magazine.
In no time my presence was noticed by all in the queue and i soon became the lady of the day. My clothes were well styled and of high quality for my mum is a fashion designer and also owned a boutique. My face make over was neat and undoubtedly oozed a rich personality. I could feel the envious stares from the other girls on the queue penetrate me and i enjoyed it all with a nonchalant attitude while i filled my screening form.
Minutes passed by and a girl shyly left the queue to join me. She introduced herself as Sandra and extended her hands. I left her hands hanging for a while as i surveyed her from head to toe. Her cheap clothing and cheap hair registered in my mind. She was not up to my standards but i decided i could make use of a loyal dog for a while because that is just how this Sandra girl look like to me. She strike me as some one who would do what ever i want her to do. She would form part of my entourage.
In order not to extinguish the wavering smile on her face completely, i extended my hands toward her in a styled manner. She immediately grabbed it with gratitude written all over her face because i have saved her from the embarrassment she would have lived with in school had i left her hands hanging. She would have been the talk of the department.
'my name is sharon'. I gave her one of my charming smiles.
'its my pleasure to meet you sharon. Your voice is nice as your appearance too. I just love everythng about you. ' Sandra gave me puppy wide eyed smiles as she spoke.
'Thanks my dear. I attended one of the best private british owned school in the country.' i raised my shoulders as i spoke.
'Wow! That explians a lot. Your voice sounded so angelic and you have style'.
'Thanks my dear Sandy. I hope you dont mind me calling you that. sandra sounds so local to me'. I gave Sandra a reassuring smile to take out the sting from my words.
'ohhh... that... feel free. Now that you said it, i think i like Sandy better'
'you are so easy to be with Sandy. I think we will make such a great pair'
She smiled back at me. We exchanged phone numbers and joined the queue. After screening, we went for a proper tour of the school Premises.
Re: Rites Of Passage by Odieteshina: 12:48am On Feb 25, 2017
RITES OF PASSAGE... EPISODE TWO
Its been a month since I undergo the university's screening exercise for the predegree progeam and lectures have swung into full action. Over five thousand students were admitted into the school for the program, creating a highly competitive atmosphere.
The competition have a positive influence on some students by cultivating in them a hard working spirit while some just pretend to be serious and are always seen reading. Even churches were not left out. While some pastors extort money from student with prayers for successful examination with promises of helping with their admission whether the students perform well in the examinations or not, Some pastors applied more practical approach to get the students prepared for the examination by organizing free tutorials.
I soon found myself among those students who are usually found in the passage at the entrance of the predegree lecture hall, even when classes are going on. Most times I feel suffocated by the heat inside the lecture hall as a result of the crowd present during lectures. This is not the school's fault. Different time tables and section was arranged by the school for male and female lecture for our convenience and it's usually rotated. If the males are to receive lectures in the afternoon then females were supposed to come for the afternoon section and vice visa. But that didn't last and in no time we found ourselves attending combined classes and that resulted in the lecture hall being over congested. In such condition, the lecture hall is often over heated with a pungent smell of sweat.
Some students soon adopted the students practice of saving sits for themselves and for their friends also by placing books and bags on top of the chairs. No matter how early you come for classes, there are always invisible people occupying the sits. This is because those students who used to come to the halls to do all night reading. popularly known as "AWOKO" would spread their books on top of the chairs to save sit for themselves and friends. Some would even come to school to do Awoko just so they can save sit for their girlfriends or to please a girl they have their eyes on.
it was like a war zone and I soon got tired of receiving lectures while standing or sitting occasionally when a guy who wants to please me vacate his sit for me and with the fear that am not receiving enough air while inside the hall, I started sitting outside in the passage during lectures. While outside, if I am attentive enough,I could grasp what the lecturer is teaching because of the use of microphones to teach. But learning in such conditions is not easy because most of the students who sit in the passage during lecture hours are often unserious and with enough gossip flying in the air,one is easily distracted.
As usual, today am sitting at the passage to the lecture hall waiting for Sandra to come out so I can copy her notes. Sandra would have preferred to stay out side with me but in order to please me she is forced to attend the lectures and keep her notes up to date. As I earlier predicted, she has been so loyal to me and practically lives under my shadow. She loves everything about me and most times try to behave like me. As an incentive for her to keep on her loyalty, I gave her free reign of my wardrope. She wear my clothes,jewelries,shoes,carry my hand bag, only my panties are exempted. But that is of no inconvenience to me. my mum constantly send me fresh supply to replenish my wardrope. In addition I also make sure Sandra was never broke. Some times I have the feeling that she sees me as her goldmine .
Tired of sitting and waiting for the lecture which was taking longer than before to end, I sent a text message to Sandra telling her join me later at at a nearby carteen .
Re: Rites Of Passage by Odieteshina: 12:50am On Feb 25, 2017
RITES OF PASSAGE... EPISODE THREE
I was still at the canteen waiting for Sandra to join me when I felt a tap on my back. I turned to see a dark average height guy standing behind me. He introduced himself as Hillary and asked if I could spare some minutes of my time to go see his boss. He said his boss sent for me. I was so dumbfounded that any guy on this campus would feel so big as not to approach me himself. As far as my ego is concerned, that is a basic curtsey any guy should pay to get my attention. I did a thorough run down on Hillary with my eyes and from his appearance, I was able to guage his pocket. He looks well to do and for a "boy" to look this rich, surely his "boss" must be at least ten times more wealthy.
I eyed Hillary up and down for some seconds, I hissed and told him to go tell his boss to come himself. A shocked expression came into Hillary's face briefly and he quickly replaced it with a smile as he nod his head in agreement before leaving.
My curiosity was peaked to know this boss of a guy and possibly put him in his place because as far as am concerned, weather a guy is rich or not, handsome or not, i dont give a damn. I consider myself a hot cake on this campus and as well deserved to be treated as one. One thing i learnt early about relationships from the many romantic novels i have read is never to allow a man see you as below his standard or he might walk over you.
Some minutes passed by and there was still no sign of the boss guy coming. I was infuriated that he had the enfontary to keep me waiting. I stood up to leave in order for him not to get the wrong impression that i was waiting for him. As i bent down to pick up my bag, i saw a shadow fall over me. I stood up to my full lenght, squared my shoulders and turned to see a tall, fair in complexion handsome looking guy. His face was carved and well sculptured with features like those of the greek billoniar business tycoons I read about in 'present' romantic novels.
For a moment we both stood facing each other in silence. Some how I figured out that this must be the boss guy. I opened my mouth to make a sarcastic comment on his sudden appearance but no sound came out. My lips couldn't form a word because I was so enthralled by the beauty of the creature standing before me. Never has any man have this effect on me before. I was always in control of my emotions and I can't let this one be different. I was so shaken that I needed a deep breath to steady my nerves. Having a little hold on myself, I smiled coily at him hoping my smile would work its magic this time.
He looked a little bit rattled by my smile and that gave me a glimmer of hope that he hadn't taken note of the world war that just occurred in my head.
He cleared his voice and pasted a smile that he probably thinks is charming on his face. He extended his hands as he introduced himself.
' Hi I am Melvin. sorry for keeping you waiting'.
I took his hands in mine and was startled by the jolt of current that went through my body. His hands felt so soft unlike those of the other guys I have shaked. For a moment I wondered whose hands is softer between the both of us. I made mental notes to go have a manicure later.
I introduced myself and listened as he apologised for his behaviour. I heard him explain how he saw me entered the canteen and since he was occupied, he had to send his friend to come get me because i really got his attention.He complemented my looks and asked for a second chance to crest a new impression of him in my mind.
I was captivated by the sound of his voice. It has a very sooting calming note that can put a crying baby to sleep. I imagined myself relaxing in his arms. He whispered something in my ear and took me by the shoulder leading me out of the canteen. I followed him like some one under a spell.
His car, a sparkling Mercedees benz 4 matic , was parked outside the canteen. Hillary was the one on the wheel. He was posed like the car owner. We exchanged phone numbers and i agreed to go on a date with him.
He hopped into his car and drove off just before Sandra reached the canteen. Sandra looked stressed up and with the smile she saw on my face, she knew that a lot had happened in her absence and there would be a lot to gossip about. But first we have to eat and may be use the story as dessert.
Re: Rites Of Passage by Withambition(m): 1:14am On Feb 25, 2017
Re: Rites Of Passage by Odieteshina: 3:34pm On Feb 25, 2017
RITES OF PASSAGE ...EPISODE FOUR
Weeks passed unnoticed as the love i have for Melvin continued to blossom. I was so into him to the extent he occupied all my thoughts and I couldnt stay a day without thinking about him. even my nights were not left out. He appeared in every corner of my dreams and believing it to be God's way of showing me who my future husband is, I held the dreams very sacred. I thought Melvin to be handpicked by God and placed right into my life. Why wouldn't he be? Apart from being wealthy and handsome he also has a caring attitude. He has this gentleman-like aura all around him. At this time and age when most guys over look little gestures they could make to win a girl's heart, Melvin still maintain the old fashion gentle men behaviours such as always opening his car door for me to enter and ushering me in like a princess or pulling out a chair for me to sit first before him any time we go out to public places. This gave me a feel of what Cinderella or snow white must have felt for their princes as I saw Melvin as the prince of my story, only that his ways are much more modern.
But the love is not only on my side. Melvin seems into me also. He takes advantage of every opportunity to show me off to his friends and any who cares to look, plus the fact that i wasnt bad looking makes it even better.
I enjoyed those moments when his show offs drew attention to me. He hangs out with the big guys in town and that's the circle I like to be seen rolling and balling with. I loved the rich gang kind of life style as it boost my ego and prestige on campus.
On one of his display of wealth, in an outing in Olorin 19, Melvin ordered ten caskets of Andre and washed my hands with the wine. You can imagine the state I was in that day. That was a dream come true. The club was in an uproar as siren was blown for each of the caskets delivered to my table. Admist the hailing, hooting, and admiration from the crowd, envious female eyes almost swallowed me as they watched Melvin raised my slender hands up, washed them with Andre and sipped from them. it was such a romantic site to behold and i soon became the talk of the town.
It so happened that Sandra missed out on all these events since she is yet to meet Melvin. For some reason she is always busy any time I arrange for a meeting but that didn't give me any cause for alarm since I and Melvin still have a long way to go.
What alarmed me a little was Melvin's spending and his sources of income. From what I noticed, he wasn't preoccupied with any work except that he is always online either on his iPhone or on his apple laptop. When questioned, his reply to me was that he is into some foreign online businesses and investment and he receives his pay in dollars and pounds. He showed me some of his businesses online and they looked legitimate to me. Also added was the fact that he is the last born of his parents and his four elder siblings were based abroad in western societies. That settled my anxiety and I settled down to enjoy the wealth he showered on me.
He kept on urging me to set up a meeting with my friend Sandra so he could get to know those around me since I already met his friends. It gladdened my heart that he was putting much effort to get to know me more and become part of my life. I saw the future as very bright and all my dreams coming true.

(1) (Reply)

My Epilepsy Story / Asthma Remedy / Mama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.